Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

double nine posted:

I wonder who'd win in a "most janky combat competition, fallout 3, new vegas or Vampire Bloodlines. 'Cause that one had some real jank in it.

New Vegas combat is just Fallout 3 but better. I’d say the first Deus Ex and Vampire are far worse combat wise than F3/NV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Wasn't there a Chris Avellone Twitter/Facebook update a few months ago saying "I've missed you" in reference to a Fallout image? Maybe it's New Vegas 2 done by Inxile featuring Chris Avellone?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

If the Starfield rumors are true, then we know this isn't being worked on by the main Bethsoft team. At least I'd assume that. Which means some b-team spin-off hot-wheels action MOBA complete with rock-em sock-em super mutants with action missiles.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Doorknob Slobber posted:

99% of the assets in the teaser seem like they're straight from fallout 4. Same engine, same assets, doubt if there is any online poo poo that its going to be very big. Its a New Vegas style spin off hopefully with some UI improvements for building our new town outside of vault 76.

This and I still believe Chris Avellone is involved somehow. Which means a spin-off with the possibility of being as well written as New Vegas's DLC.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

AlternateAccount posted:

Really the biggest mistake here is that it's almost certainly running on a further tortured and abused version of Gamebryo.

Since this is probably the single thing that a.) keeps the game moddable and b.) keeps it from being an MMO, I'm happy for them to keep duct taping games to this engine.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

2house2fly posted:

The game is going to sell like hotcakes regardless so I doubt they care

This. Bethsoft is the Metallica of games: they will sell millions with no question, while at the same time it's always cool to bash them.

Edit: Lars = Todd

..Lars Toddrich

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is it me or does there seem to be a bit of unnecessary overlap between the potential of Fallout '76 and Rage 2? Both post apocalyptic, both based around a road/roads, both shooters, both have online components.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Riatsala posted:

The online rumors have me concerned that there will come a day when teenagers and poopsockers I do not know will call me racial slurs for using sub-optimal character builds for my vault dweller.

I just hope it's like minecraft or borderlands, where the online component is optional and controllable.

Otherwise I'm going to be playing with goons with the singular purpose of disrupting the fun of the aforementioned pubbies.

Eh, Skyrim and Fallout 4 made it impossible to make bad, good, unique, or original characters. Everyone will be level 60 and have all perks unlocked and nothing will matter.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm hoping beyond hope that there isn't a new game engine involved. Because that will limit what can be done wrt multiplayer. And who knows, the "online" poo poo might just mean better/more integration with the Bethesda Modding framework.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Sinteres posted:

It's not like Square stopped making Final Fantasy games because they have two Final Fantasy MMOs. I don't know why Bethesda put ES6 so far on the back burner, but my guess is that ESO isn't the biggest reason.

So far the pattern has been two Fallout games in-between Elder Scrolls releases and now we still have a potential new game in "Starfield" to increase the wait time on Elder Scrolls. Granted New Vegas was a different team, but still.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Fallout 4 gets a lot of poo poo (mostly deserved) but I think they deserve credit for making a game where there's four factions to choose from and you can't rise to the top of everyone and you can doublecross people and what not. I feel like for all the lack of actual roleplaying the game has, it does have that and it's not terrible.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Eh, not interested. I prefer my open world sandbox RPGs to be single player affairs. As compromised as F4s story was how are they even gonna be able to implement any questing at all in ‘76.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

marktheando posted:

Is Route 76 that famous that they would name a game to be sold worldwide after it? The only yank roads I know as a non American are route 666 and route 69.

There’s an old gas station called 76 whose sign is a bit iconic at least in the states. Otherwise, not that I’m aware of. And I live in Virginia.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The Berzerker posted:

it's clearly the 76 that runs through WV, the song in the trailer is literally singing "take me home country roads, to the place I belong, West Virginia"
this is like, the one thing we know about the game that shouldn't really be debatable lol

For those not too familiar with the area, WV had a populace very very similar to the denizens of Point Lookout. It’s a forested series of mountains and not swamps, however. It’s Deliverance in Fallout. (Yes I have family there. My grandma traded her sister’s boyfriend for a chicken and that became my grand dad.)

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

marktheando posted:

Lol pipe down. Starfield will be a single player RPG, probably.

At this point there doesn’t look like there’ll be a Starfield yet. If the main Bethsoft companies are on this, whose on Starfield?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Discendo Vox posted:

I just wanted dialogue options at the end of Lonesome Road that no, seriously, Uly, you got the wrong guy. I was the courier that delivered mutfruit to The Divide. I have no idea who sent them this whatever detonator thing, that sounds incredibly dangerous.
What did you think was hidden in the muttfruit?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

antidote posted:

Can I please have your home address? I am better able to explain this in person!!!

It’ll take you weeks to get there on his countries primitive road system.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Wolfsheim posted:

Best companions
Best combat ("its supposed to be bad!")
Best crafting
Best power armor
Most satisfying 'kill the BoS leaders and blow up their base' sequence
None of the multiple endings are as bad as the original ending of Fallout 3
The way you drunkenly slur at people to get their attention after drinking alcohol is hilariously great
The Silver Shroud is one of the best quests in the series and one of the few good uses of a voiced protagonist
You can kill and eat your dumb son the moment you see him instead of getting a 'this person is unconscious' message
They made Jet actually useful

That's right, I'll play your bullshit game Dan Didio, and I'll play it to win :colbert:

The fact that you can kill your son is really cool and completely unlike Bethesda these days. That definitely deserves some props. Tuck his old tired rear end into bed and reverse pickpocket a grenade on him and say “good night old man macguffin I gots poo poo to do.”

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ultimately we know nothing about this release except the name and maybe location/time period. Anything else is speculation so the news it's not a Rust clone is just as dubious as the news that it is.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arcsquad12 posted:

Even if Bethesda was asinine enough to say no mods, there's still going to be some dedicated person out there who knows gamebryo inside and out who will break the system open.

Fallout 4 chat: I'm futzing around with settlements. Is NPC navigation in hangman's alley just straight up broken? Nobody wants to move and Longfellow keeps floating into the sky whenever he walks over the spot where a junk fence used to be.

Yes but if the game is truly online it’ll probably do a parity check against your files, see modded files, and not allow you to play. Not to mention removing the ability to load .esp’s in the first place.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I always thought it was neat that a town that hates and is terrified of synths seems completely ok with Nick Valentine: a terminator looking mother fucker whose job it is to find people and sniff out secrets. To them, he should be the most dangerous mofo in town, rather than spreading rumors about the synth mayor.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Sinteres posted:

Honestly talking about the Fallout games made me nostalgic enough to play Skyrim again and it was better than I remembered. Bethesda should farm out Fallout to someone who can do it justice and stick to what they're good at.

Skyrim gave me a lot of hope for Fallout 4. They seemed to copy New Vegas's formula a bit and actually gave us two factions that had proper shades of grey morality in the Legion and Stormcloaks. They are really good at environmental story telling as well as most quest lines being interesting in the moment, where as Fallout 3 and 4 both have a lot of head smacking stupid writing. If they put the love and care into Fallout that they did Skyrim/Morrowind I think Fallout would be a lot better for it, even if it will never again capture the feel of 1/2/NV.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Back Hack posted:

Not really, one side is the current ruler who pissed off a bunch of nord hicks because they denounce their god to stop a world war with nazi elves, the other side a bunch racist nord hicks who are secretly controlled by the nazi elves.

We had a thread for several years dedicated to which side is better. Regardless of who you think is better/more justified, the fact that we had a thread about it as long as we did shows that Bethesda did something right.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Rookersh posted:

Yeah, it's very obvious the Empire was right. Glad we agree.

Less jokey despite all the poo poo people can say about Skyrim the fact people are still debating the Empire/Stormcloak stuff says it's probably the best bit of writing Bethesda has ever done.

I’d put Far Harbor, Tribunal, and the Oblivion dark brotherhood up there as well. They’ve got talent. They just don’t focus on it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Fintilgin posted:

Todd Howard watched Blade Runner one night, and the entire writing team had to frantically work backwards from there.

“Are we robots? How do we know? Guys, write it! Include lasers!”

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Quick question: does/did the Fallout 3 GOTY release on GOG strip out GFWL? If I'm not mistaken, that cancer is still in the Steam release.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Azhais posted:

This, but the Minutemen.

The railroad gives no shits about anything except the brave little toaster. Even endgame they only bother sending you after raiders that are mean to synths.

Brotherhood are only better than the raiders in that they demand protection money from the local communities instead of shooting first, and I don't believe for an instant that Proctor Teagan wouldn't murder the farms and install brotherhood people if they said no. They'd also wipe out every ghoul community.

Institute would just spend the next 200 years twirling their mustaches before building a shining future city on the mass grave that was the commonwealth

It could be argued that without player intervention, the Minutemen are the most inept and toothless of all the factions. At least the other three were accomplishing poo poo before the player came along.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I think Fallout 3 and 4 are both on par with each other. They both do things better and worse than the other game. And both worse than New Vegas by a wide margin.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Rinkles posted:

NMA hated the guy, I think, because of his rather "Oblivion with guns" pitches to media, and because he wasn't very diplomatic about how he treated them and their opinions (he was very "we own fallout now, and we'll do as we like. Deal with it.")

I like Pete Hines for this very reason. I get tired of press/PR people being double-speaking diplomats. Also, take a look at what Pete said regarding the political controversy regarding Wolfenstein II. His basic response was "It's just a game, it's not political, and we're not changing a thing." I respect that!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Yardbomb posted:

Voiced protag was a genuinely terrible choice, I've seen plenty of people poo poo all over it tons elsewhere too, bad idea with bad execution that only hurt Bethesda's bad writing even more.

I actually looked forward to this before I'd played the game. My thought was that Beth's dialog would be a lot better if they heard real people saying it out loud. I was disappointed to find that even though real humans said the player dialogue out lout, it was still silly dumb bullshit.

Edit: Sorry for doublepost

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

My mental image of the voice actors reading the Beth writer's dialogue to act is the scene from Always Sunny "The Gang Runs for Office" when Dennis has to read Charlie's speech.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Volkerball posted:

There's still no game out there that has matched fnv in world building, player freedom, and an interconnected story that makes your tons of different decisions have meaning. Elder Scrolls did it too but I didn't like the theme of it as much. Bethesda seems to be rapidly sprinting away from what made those games great in favor of whatever fad is in vogue so I'm not really too interested in the next installment in 2024.

Witcher 3?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I love Fallout but I’m not the least bit interested in multiplayer either for ES or Fallout. Not even a little co-op, gently caress that noise. I do hope that a proper Fallout 5 is still released at some point.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is it possible to play this game "offline" with no people at all? I know there's no real traditional storyline or what not, but if it's just exploring and terminal quests I could maybe get down with that.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So no matter what, my game world will be filled with other players running around doing poo poo?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Word, i'll pass and wait for whatever Fallout 5 is gonna be. Thanks!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Eh, it’s just the idea that seeing other people will bother me. I enjoy Fallout for its story and characters and seeing tons of randoms with dumb names just diminishes that for me.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Bardeh posted:

there aren't any characters either

I know, but if I was “by myself” I could at least soak in the atmosphere. It’s just not a game that’s for me, and that’s ok.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I haven’t really been keeping up with F76 so I’m curious...lorewise....does it butcher the existing canon or is it harmless self insert story wise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Donovan Trip posted:

It butchers the lore of not only the original games but their own fallout games as well, I usually don't care about lore stuff but it's things that are painfully obvious, the only argument for it existing as it does is laziness since they could reuse more assets.

That poo poo is so frustrating. No game should be a slave to lore; if you have a great idea and need to rearrange past events to fit a new narrative, that’s ok. But to just be lazy and not give a poo poo about your own game’s world building is frustratingly lazy and dumb. Maybe I’m weird, but they’ve retroactively made it difficult to enjoy the past Fallout games as well because in the back of my mind, the story I’m being told is being increasingly made false.