Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Add me to the list of people coming back to this because of the TV show. Playing the PS4 version, it's been two years since I last played. I am so lost.

My main question is: Any good guides for the Scorched Earth quest / event? Something that lays it out like, here's what you should bring, here's a good special loadout, etc. I never could get through the bunker to actually launch the nuke.

I'm level 109 so presumably I'll be able to do enough damage with a group in the actual Scorch Queen fight. I bought the Cold Shoulder bundle, but I'll have to dig through my stash and see if I have any other decent weapons. Pretty sure my power armor isn't great either. I've been server hopping a little bit to see if the event is active but no luck so far. That would be easiest.

I just need the trophy for completing Scorched Earth and the one for finding 20 magazines to get the platinum. Bought a month of 1st so I'll probably hunt mags in a private world while remembering how to play. I also need to rebuild my main base since it kept showing up as blocked. So I made a makeshift second one until I can take the time to build everything again, not that it was much. Not really into the base building side of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Sensenmann posted:

<good info>

Thanks! I'm wearing the Chinese Stealth Armor so I assume I've tried to stealth the silo before. Will give it another shot. Already found one scorched captain so I have a code piece as well. They last a week right?

And I somehow already have I Am Become Death and Ground Zero, so maybe I did launch a nuke at some point? Maybe I was in a group that did it. Can't remember at all.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Sensenmann posted:

You don't need the code pieces. You don't need to decrypt the whole thing yourself. All you need is a nuke keycard and this:

https://roguetrader.com/

Codes change every week, starting on mondays, but are the same for everyone.

Oh nice! Thanks again.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Heads up on PS5. Downloading the add ons downloads both the PS4 and PS5 versions for some reason. Didn't have an option to choose and noticed two versions of each were in my queue.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Found 1 dang magazine in the last 2 days. After finding like 5 right away when I started playing again. Argh. Been mixing up the spots I check, picking up and dropping burnt stuff and junk to help "reset" the spawns, and nothing.

But at least it's fun running around in stealth armor with a big facebreaker melee weapon. Bought the cookie jar with my leftover Atoms so now I've got cookies, water, and coffee in my ramshackle camp. Stuck my shelter tent close to Fissure Prime so I can head there in case Scorched Earth ever starts up before I get ready to do it myself.

Low level players keep asking me stuff because I'm level 110 and I feel dumb when I tell them I don't remember anything, I just started playing again. But I drop some water and stimpaks for them so I can feel a little helpful.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Kaddish posted:

So I've trying to find black titanium for this quest - I read I could find plenty at the junkyard, and indeed there's a mining node there that gives me a couple. I captured the workshop, waited 15 minutes or so, never respawned.

I also tried a mine that was supposed to have a lot - I ran out of ammo killing the mole miners, didn't find any.

Are these the best spots?

Dumb question, but did you build a resource extractor over the deposit and power it up?

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Kaddish posted:

I sure didn't! I just found out that was a thing!

Thanks for the other tips everyone. I didn't realize I had to scrap that stuff.

Oh yeah, I don't know if the game ever shows you how to do that in a quest or something, but that's how you get resources.

You'll also have to defend the workshop from time to time so build some turrets and walls as well. You'll get a notification and a countdown when it's happening.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
It's me. I'm the weirdo who liked when there were no NPCs. Made the world really feel unexplored and desolate. But yeah, they weren't added until the first big expansion. Just bots and recordings before that.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Yeah, if you have 1st just go private and take over like 4 workshops. Then run around and do stuff while they collect. If you get sick of defending them, let a couple go undefended. But workshops you control are free fast travel points so they can be useful just for zipping around the map when need be.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Blue Raider posted:

Do enemies in 76 ever stop being bullet sponges? Random ones like feral ghouls

They generally go down in one punch for me :madmax:

But yes, eventually you get better weapons and they stop leveling up at 50 or 75 depending on location.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Blue Raider posted:

That’s good, because it’s getting really boring. I just fought a raider in power armor for a Crater quest Missing Persons, and I completely broke two guns from full durability and used around 350 .44 rounds. That loving sucks, so I’m glad it doesn’t stay this way

You probably want something stronger than a .44 if you're fighting someone in power armor. That won't ever get easy.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Kaddish posted:

I have the coffee machine, where is the cookie machine? Is it current?

It should be under C.A.M.P. -> Decorations in the Atom Shop. Was 500 Atoms yesterday.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Yeah, I switched jump to L1 and put VATS on triangle since I rarely use it. Bumper Jumper 4 Lyfe.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
FO76: Found 3 more magazines today. And thats after following 3 different YouTube videos. The game is just loving with me at this point. Gotta be getting close to 20 by now.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Yeah, I've seen that. But videos are better since they actually show you where the stupid things spawn. Knowing a magazine might be in the Watoga bus terminal isn't as helpful as a video that says "the spawn point is in the broken elevator at the back of the room" etc.

Don't mean to sound ungrateful, just annoyed at the game since this dumb trophy is taking so long.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Yeah I know. I'm just complaining like I have been over the last 10 pages or so since I started playing again.

Found 2 more though. Getting closer.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
There's a trophy for finding 20 of them. So yes, brainworms.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Complaining on the internet works again! Got my 20th magazine just as I was about to log off and watch basketball.

Now all I have to do is kill the Scorch Queen and that platinum trophy is mine. I've got the Ultracite Power Armor and a laser minigun with okay Legendary mods. That plus the Cold Shoulder should be fine as long as enough people show up.

So the plan is to sneak through the silo in my stealth armor, launch the nuke then fast travel to my camp. Switch special load outs. Then fast travel to my tent which is near the fissure.

If I don't fall asleep during Mavs / Clippers I should be able to get it done tonight.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Woohoo! Scorched Beast Queen is down, platinum trophy achieved!

Stealthed and photo mode clipped my way through most of Site Charlie, and broke out the power armor for the launch prep part. Followed a video guide on placing the nuke so that Drop Site V9 was left safe. Sure enough, a big group of people gathered there and we were able to fight SBQ outside the nuke zone. The adds never really became a problem so the fight went easy enough. Pretty sure everybody there got enough damage in before SBQ went down as well. Cold Shoulder came in handy.

Ran around inside the nuke zone grabbing flowers, but only fought a few enemies. Went back to camp to try and make some stable flux but somehow I didn't get any Hardened Mass. So all my flux will probably spoil, but I was too tired to go back and try to get more.

Stayed up way too late, but feeling good. Tomorrow I'll start dealing with these whiny Raiders and Settlers.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
FO76:

Do I really have to start another character to finish the Raider side of the Wastelanders DLC? Looks like I went Settler when I first played it. They didn't patch in something in the 3-ish years I was away to change that, did they? Tried Googling but y'know, it's useless these days. I guess it's not too bad since you can start with a lvl 20 now, but still annoying.

Also annoyed that Legendary Perks are account-wide. I was hoping to have different ones for my stealthy melee and power armor heavy loadouts.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Wee Bairns posted:

You can earn faction favour by doing the raider daily quests that will up your reps to allow you to buy the rewards you initially 'passed' on by choosing Foundation. This works the other way had you sided with the Raiders, you can just find Ward's goddamned always-missing equipment to grind reputation.

Yeah but there's a trophy, of course, for finishing the last story quest for each side. And choosing one side locks you out of the other. I was hoping they added a way to change / undo your decision so I wouldn't have to do it all over again on a new character, but it doesn't look like it.

I'm "friendly" with both sides now so the rep grind shouldn't be too awful when I get to it.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Flesh Forge posted:

legendary perks are not account wide, just the slot-unlocked status (this is entirely good).

Maybe I'm wording it wrong. Not account-wide but character-wide? Like I was hoping to have certain Legendaries on my stealthy special loadout, and then different ones on my heavy build on the same character when I switch at the punchcard station thing. Without having to manually switch them around each time and paying Perk Coins.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Flesh Forge posted:

Oh you mean, can you have different builds with different legendary perks? yes, it's just expensive in terms of levels/perk coins but sure, you can have all the legendary perks on one character eventually :shrug:
e: let me double check that

I'm level 111 so I only have 3 Legendary Perk slots right now. I was hoping to set 3 specific ones for my stealthy loadout, and then 3 different ones for my heavy gunner armor loadout and have them saved like the regular perk cards. But as it is, the Legendary Perks are shared across all loadouts on one character so I'd have to go in and switch them around manually each time I changed loadouts at the cardpunch station. I was hoping to avoid that but it doesn't look like I can,

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Ugh, okay I think getting the platinum trophy in FO76 might be the end of the journey for me. At least for now.

The grind stuff went from fun to annoying overnight. And I don't have the perk cards or weapons to fully switch to one of the meta builds. But it was fun to come back for a bit.

I still have a couple more weeks of 1st left so maybe I just need a couple days away. Pretty sure I played like 30 hours of my 220 total in the past week.

Good luck to all and thanks for all the help!

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Okay, a couple days away was what I needed. Played a little more 76 last night and I'm back in.

Going to max out my Settler rep and see if I can adjust my stealthy melee into a more tanky build. If not, then I'll start over to work on Raider rep. I'm "only" level 112 so if I do some West Tek and Event grinding I can get most of the way back there over the weekend.

There's no way to transfer my lunchboxes to a new char without another person is there?

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Flesh Forge posted:

Power armor gives a large bonus to melee power attacks so consider that

Yeah, I've crafted some "good enough" armor to wear while I work on getting my Ultracite power armor decked out. Ditched the stealth armor for now and went with Secret Service underarmor. Crafted up some Combat armor pieces with decent mods and random 1-star perks.

Switched my perks to gunner and use my Final Word and Cold Shoulder to tag stuff in Events. Anything under 100 goes down pretty easily, too.

I'm ultimately aiming to copy Mr. West Tek's Auto Axe build but having fun messing around while I get all the parts together. Also building up my bullion to buy all the Secret Service plans. Want that jetpack.

Played through 4 public events, did a Daily Op and some Daily Quests so far with the new makeshift setup and having fun. Biggest thing I need to work on now is mutations.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

the paradigm shift posted:

if that's all you want I wouldn't waste time on the SS just do the atlantic city content for the civil engineer armor and stamp grind

Hmmm, didn't know about that one. I'll check it out.

But I already spent the 2000-ish bullion to get the jetpack mod...without realizing you need to make that specific chest piece to use it. So I'm at least getting the SecSer chest piece plan. I think it's only 750 so not too bad of a gold grind.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
FO76-

After scrolling through quests on my pip-boy I realized I never completed the Miner Miracles quest. Did it, so now I can finally build a power armor station in my camp and get to making some Ultracite parts. Well, when I find enough gears again. Used all the ones I had to complete the quest.

I know the BoS outpost near Vault 76 has bulk screws. Anything like that for gears? A place I can dip into and just grab like 40 real quick without needing to pick up pieces of loot and scrap them? Just hit 230+ hours played, you'd think I would know some of this stuff by now.

Thanks to that electric legendary perk I was able to refill all of my fusion cores so I've been running around in power armor more, switching between Final Word and an okay-ish laser gatling I have with Vampire, Tactical, and Mind's Eye. The Alien Invaders events became much easier, and I don't have to worry about ammo with the gatling. My camp is right by the water filter station, where you turn in the daily soil, etc data tapes, so I can just run down there and let the bots shoot me for a bit to top them all off.

Paying2Lurk fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 5, 2024

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Books On Tape posted:

Is it something you can solo? I always try to join but I never see anyone else and never really start it myself.

You can solo them at level 50+ but you probably won't get the Elder rewards. It's the same all day though so you can run it once and figure it out and maybe do better on later runs.

Take Berry Mentats to find the enemies faster.

Look for Daily Ops teams when you join a server or make one and wait for people to join if you want to run it with others.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Me on Friday: I'll try out my melee build in Daily Ops!

Mutation = Enemies explode on death.

Welp.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Ahh I didn't realize there were separate achievements

Yeah you can eventually max rep with both on one character, but you can only get one of "Gold for the Gold" or "A Golden Future." You have to start a new char to get the other.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

explosivo posted:

There any FO76 build guides out there that walk you through a leveling build using commando? I found some "beginner" commando builds but it assumes you're at lvl 75 or something so I guess I'm trying to figure out if there's a recommended path to take when going from level 25 and up to eventually get a decent build. I guess it's probably hard with this game because perk cards are randomized and not guaranteed at certain levels? I know it really doesn't matter all that much but I'm starting to have trouble with the powerful single shot pistol stuff and can't really fully commit to a commando build when ammo is still sorta hard to come by and I'm not exactly flush with cash.

Otacon's rec is better, but I'll still throw this video out there. Mr. West Tek has been streaming a fresh 20-50 Commando the last couple of days. It's like 4 hours long but it's pretty cool to see what somebody actually does vs reading a guide.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
FO76

My auto axe power armor build is slowly coming together. Well, the axe part anyway. Had enough Modules and Cores saved up to roll a few times and landed on a pretty good Vampire roll. It has Riposting, so not the best, but it's carrying me. Now I'm working towards getting the Electric mod with stamps. Did the two intro expeditions for The Pitt and got 13 for the first one and...3 for the other. Oof.

So I don't really die anymore, but my damage is just okay. Barely missed out on getting Elder rewards solo in Uplink by like 10 seconds. Not ready to go low life yet since only 2 of my Ultracite PA parts have stars. No helpful mutations yet either. Tried to go buy some with my 4000 caps and even at the few player vendors I went to they were too much. So I'll have to set aside a day and just go get radiated a bunch. And I also need to stock up on supplies again because keeping power armor repaired is costly. Even with the right crafting perks. Probably why I avoided it before.

But the Double XP daily ops helped get me from 112 to 127 over the weekend so my perk cards are pretty well sorted out. Just gotta get those stamps, and Unyielding armor. Running around chainsaw-ing stuff is fun. Kinda feels like I'm the monster in the horror movie, like DbD but actually fun.

Kaddish posted:

The BoS guy repairs my PA, which is really nice of him.

Del can do that? Do you have to ask him or just leave it on the frame and he'll mosey over?

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Kaddish posted:

He sure does. You have to ask him. I think it's on a one hour cooldown, possibly longer. He'll repair your armor up to 130%!

Nice! I'll have to do that next time.

Otacon posted:

I forget if you're PC or console, but if you're PC I've got serums for you! Stop by the Discord

I am on the Discord, but I'm on console. Alas.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Meanwhile I just have all my crafting benches scattered about and a few fences up. Keep saying I'll set some time aside to build a proper camp, but eh, I'd rather be killing stuff.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
FO76-

Tried 3 Expeditions today and all 3 bugged out in some way. Twice I had enemies still showing as in the area I needed to defend even after I killed them. So the marker was over their exploded pile of parts. And once the NPC I needed to talk to continue just didn't appear. I just keep repeating "I only need 50 stamps" to myself.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

FO76

How do daily quest resets work? It doesn't really seem like they all actually reset? I haven't been able to do the Cooking Mama one in Whitespring except for the first time I did it.

Yeah it's weird. They're supposed to reset every day but it feels more like every other day. Just did the cooking one an hour ago so I'm going to check it again at the same time tomorrow. Haven't found anyone to do any favors for in a few days either.

I thought I had filled the meter for the Settlers...only to find out there's another one. Hopefully this is the final one.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
FO76 -

Okay, every time I do Union Dues I get 13 stamps. One more and that will be enough for the auto axe mod I want.
*do the stupid Expedition, including finishing all the side missions*
Rewards screen: 8 stamps.

Fuuuuck you.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

explosivo posted:

drat so I just tried playing 76 with a friend for the first time and do we really have to make whoever is going in the dungeon leader so everybody can follow? It's weird how lovely this game appears to be towards people in parties trying to do quests together.

Yeah it's annoying, but if you ever want to xp grind you can clear a place out, leave and make someone else Leader, then go right back in and it will be repopulated. Repeat until bored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
More FO76 ramblings-

Finally got the electric mod for my auto axe and could instantly feel the difference, just shredding through most enemies now. And that's without having Expert or Master Slugger equipped. Never picked them up for some reason. So those are my next perk cards to grab. Can't wait to see how silly it gets once I have those and the right mutations.

Managed to get Elder rewards on a Daily Op solo for the first time so that felt nice. Got that trophy out of the way, along with the one for killing 100 trogs with the auto axe. Finally done with The Pitt. No more searching for those stupid poison gas containers, hooray!

Joined an Events group and knocked out like 6 public events in a row, including a couple that I'd never played before. That was fun, and helped me get a bunch of scrap and scrip. Used a free score booster and ranked up enough to unlock the Cremator plans, but I somehow don't have the right perk card to craft it. One more for the list. Did some of the easier Spring Cleaning challenges, too.

Still running around in my power armor, but the plan is to eventually switch to Unyielding armor. Whatever I can get at first, but ultimately aiming for Secret Service once I get the plans. Also just found out that there's a Jetpack mod for the Ultracite PA so I'll be on the hunt for that, too. Really hitting that Monster Hunter crafting feel for me now, planning out like 4 steps ahead for what I want to make.