Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Fallout 4 is a fun open world game with a fairly satisfying core gameplay loop, even if it's a downgrade from previous titles in several crucial aspects. (You know, story, dialogue, reactivity. The rpg bits.) Ultimately, I had a good time playing it, even if the final impression was somewhat marred by the lovely endings.

Also, I hope the base-building never reappears in any of their games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

dont be mean to me posted:

Bases are fine.

Twenty-something bases is a bit over.

Still got a soft spot for Oberland Station, though, and I honestly have no idea why.

I mostly object to the opportunity cost of implementing all this poo poo. It really wasn't all that entertaining, once the novelty wore off and I am willing to bet the story content suffered from resources being pulled away from it and into this.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Ulysses is a disgustingly over-written, obtuse, and the worst example of Chris Avellone believing his own hype and crawling up his own rear end. I had to consult the wiki after playing the final DLC to figure out what the gently caress all that word diarrhea was about.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

E: if you want to take FO outside Americana, the obvious choice is to cross the iron curtain and have one based around Russia and their retrofuturism. Although there's still plenty of unique areas you can take FO in America.

As a Russian, I'd very much rather Americans didn't make any media about us and especially the Soviet Union anymore. I doubt a Bethesda China Fallout game would be any better.

It's a shame Nuclear Union died on the vine. It looked that it'd be fun, in a janky eurotrash way.

Keep an eye on ATOM RPG, though. I've tried the EA version and it's actually like... not bad? As not bad as an indie low budget top-down Soviet Fallout-wannabe is gonna get. The combat is pretty meh right now and most of the content isn't in the game yet, but what's already there is actually rather fun. Maybe check it out and throw them a buck if you like it/refund if you don't.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Gort posted:

I do hope they do a voiced protagonist for the next Bethesda game.

quote:

I much preferred Geralt, Hawke and Commander Shepard to the silent nobodies I played in Dragon Age 1 and Skyrim. I also much prefer playing a specific character with a name and a place in the world to the blandness you end up with if you allow maximum customisation of the main character.

These, unfortunately, are two separate things that do not necessarily always come together. See: Fallout 4.

That said, I'd like to see a Fallout game with a pre-defined character, if the specific premise of that title's story merited it. The games in the series have traditionally been on the blank slate end of the protagonist spectrum, but a Fallout game where they went full Geralt would work fine, if done well.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Geralt only works as well as he does due to having seven books worth of backstory for the developers to mine from when establishing his character for the games, and even then a large number of people don't like him because they go into an open world RPG expecting to be able to play as their personal waifu/power fantasy.

Not really. Well, the first part, at least. I am sure there's a large number of people who hates everything good.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Gort posted:

Yeah, the first time I laid eyes on Geralt I thought he was anime original character do not steal Marty Stu guy, with his special eyes and magic hair.

It's cool, tho.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

lol

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

Totally. I think this is going to be a Fallout online survival RPG and I am more than totally okay with that.

The opportunity cost of 'hey they could have used the same exact budget and team to do an actual stand-alone RPG in Fallout 4's engine instead' makes me feel a little dead inside.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Realistically speaking, Bethesda will notice that The Witcher 3 sold less than Fallout 4 and doesn't really fill the same niche, and ignore it.

While their titles have lost *some* critical prestige and are heavily criticized in enthusiast communities, they're still incredibly popular. Besides, even an apathetic player that still buys a copy is money that ends up in their coffers.

They can also notice the Assassin's Creed series, who released a heavily criticized entry in the series (and, poo poo, it wasn't that bad) which sold fine, but then had its next release's sales hit hard because of it and had to seriously restructure and soft-reboot how they're handling the series to win the fans back.

And the new Assassin's Creed is heavily influenced by Witcher 3, lol. I listened to a podcast with the lead and he's been name-dropping unprompted over and over.

I might just be a grumpy grognard, but I am getting the vibe F76 might finally get hit by some public backlash.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Berke Negri posted:

*might* you're in it, right now

Post-release, you know? Pre-release bitching might or not continue once the game is out. NMA grogs spent the year before Fallout 3's release throwing poo poo fits, then they all went and bought it anyway.

Berke Negri posted:

Also if you think AC: Origins is more choice driven than uh fallout 4 uh

Yeah, it has zero reactivity. But, and I don't know if you've heard of this or saw it when you played the game, they spent the entirety of Origins basically setting up a change in their metaplot that basically amounts to "technobabble gobbledygook the timeline is mutable now" just to let the player have some reactivity in the sequels and, allegedly, Odyssey, the next one, will actually have proper quests with dialogue trees and multiple quest solutions and branching story and poo poo. I am a little skeptical, tbh, but we'll see, I suppose.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

ymgve posted:

Witcher 3 had reactivity?

Are we into the 'that well liked game is actually dogshit' part of the internet cycle with Witcher 3 in this thread? I'm sorry, I haven't kept up.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Berke Negri posted:

Look at the thread you're in

sorry my bad bro

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Donovan Trip posted:

I'm not worried about griefing in 76 because I don't care about it and they've gone in depth about punishing griefers but I'm pretty sure Bethesda is blind to the lengths people will go to exploit systems in a mp game. You still get xp for building things- what's to stop me from building a section of fence over and over until I'm level 105?

I feel in this particular case the crime is also the punishment.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Any indication they're cleaning up or changing the inventory system some way for 76?

No, and you also probably won't be able to fix it with mods, because it's ~online~ now.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Super Rad posted:

idk form the previews the perks system looks COMPLETELY different so they might sneak in other improvements here and there though I do realize it's bethesda we're talking about

Yeah, but they haven't rrrreally changed their inventory UI since Oblivion.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
In principle, I think being able to pay for some mods could potentially be good, because you could pay the creators of stuff like Nehrim and Project Brazil, etc, so that they can work on their stuff full-time, but Bethesda will probably gently caress it up again.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Do nukaworld last since it can gently caress up your game if you like playing as a good guy.

I hear you can do it straight out of Sanctuary Hills, making an effort to avoid meeting Preston and then go back and do the rest of the game as usual when you're done and it kinda works? I haven't tried it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

It is just cosmetics and if they are direct purchase and no boxes is fine. The cosmetics most likely will not give gameplay advantages

Cosmetics for real money in a $60 private server survive'em'up is still pretty hosed up, IMO.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Good thing no game has ever done this before so we can rage at this.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I find it entirely possible to not like something lovely, even if a different game already did it before.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I must admit, the videos did nothing to improve my expectations. "Like Fallout 4, but it's just the radiant quests and collecting random junk is now the other main half part of the gameplay - oh and I guess you're doing it in co-op" gives me an anxiety itch just thinking about it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

SwitchbladeKult posted:

In previous Fallout games I ran around exploring abandoned buildings, killing mobs, looting them and then repeat. Sometimes I read neat notes left behind by the previous occupants that establishes atmosphere and context for the looting and shooting. What specifically are you seeing in these videos of Fallout 76 that falls outside that?

It's not about this stuff being in the previous games, it's about them having more stuff to do than Preston's radiant quests and looting cupboards for junk.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Hoarding trash and turning it into slightly more useful trash is 95% of Fallout games. What from the core Fallout experience is missing for you?

There was stuff like this every once in a while, sad you missed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM1yR7WYqgM

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

SwitchbladeKult posted:

And you can tell from the first 3 hours of gameplay that 76 won't have interesting quests and side stories? You must have "the sight".

Well, they've already confirmed it doesn't have dialogue or NPCs outside of, like, notes and holodisks you find, so yeah, I don't think it's a stretch to make the assumption.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

if fallout 76 was incredible 10/10 mindmelting I'd love it

if fallout 76 came out and it was mediocre but did some things right, it would be a milquetoast blip in the years games, too boring to watch, not exciting enough to play.

if fallout 76 was just an abysmal failure in every way I would love to watch the bethesda cash fire.

I want it to be either really good or really bad. I dont have time for this "middling" poo poo.

TBH I am hoping the reception is bad enough they have to do the same thing Ubisoft did with Assassin's Creed after Unity and Syndicate and actually stop and reevaluate what the gently caress they're doing for once.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
/r/fo76: Just a reminder: If you’re excited about FO76 in any way, stay the hell away from r/fallout

lol

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
/r/fallout: Fallout 76 has retconned-in the Brotherhood of Steel

lol

I bet if Bethesda ever makes a Fallout pre-war prequel set in China, it'll have the Brotherhood of Steel.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Glazius posted:

So here's something I can't find. Why is it called the Brotherhood of Steel? If the name came out of a command group in the Army or something, it'd make sense for something with the same name to be operating as basically a proto-Enclave, acting as "legitimate" heirs to the remaining strategic resources of the US.

They've spent a lot of time cooped up in a bunker with not a lot to do. My guess is there was a few nerds among the initial survivors.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-10-11-fallout-fans-think-bethesda-retconned-the-brotherhood-of-steel-into-fallout-76

quote:

So what's Bethesda's explanation for the changes [regarding Brotherhood of Steel]? In comments made to GameSpot, vice president Pete Hines explained the developer takes lore seriously, but that it won't be "beholden to something that somebody wrote 20 years ago even in franchises that we created like the Elder Scrolls".

lol

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Minorkos posted:

I think people are upset about Fallout 76 looking a bit scuffed only because they know they'll have to buy the game regardless of how bad it is. It's the Bethesda curse.

I'll buy it when it's like ~$10 or in a bundle, but I have no idea if I'll enjoy it or not. On one hand, I tend to enjoy flawed open world games, like AC: Unity, Watch Dogs 1, Agents of Mayhem and, cough, Fallout 4. On the other hand, I bounced hard off ARK and Conan: Exiles.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Starks posted:

Nah man. Bethesda is banking on the game selling well regardless of anything else but nobody wants to buy a game with a 40 on metacritic. I doubt this will make it to the first major dlc drop (especially since Bethesda is saying cosmetic micro transactions will finance the dlc).

On some level I think Todd Howard is realizing this which is why they’re putting so little effort in. It’s a vicious cycle

Well, they did allegedly persevere with The Elder Scrolls Online despite lukewarm initial reception and remade it into something better. Or so I've heard, at least. I haven't tried it since I tried the open beta and got bored after a couple of hours.

They might stick by this as well and, cough, add some NPCs in a DLC or something.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

They didn't make ESO

Intricacies of how they shuffle assets around inside their corporate structure aside, ESO and F76 are both made by side-studios formed for the purposes of working on this poo poo and published by Bethesda the publisher. Close enough for me.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

I mean, the team that has been making all the Elder Scrolls and Fallout games didn't work on ESO though. They're different teams making different decisions. iirc Bethesda was consulted for lore and that's about all the input they have on ESO. They have their own projects to work on.

Yes. The team that has been making all the Elder Scrolls and Fallout games isn't working on F76 either. It's developed by the team that was working on Battlecry.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 11, 2018

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Post poste posted:

I can't wait until six months down the road when we can mod the inventory to be useful.

Being able to mod is coming Nov 2019 at the earliest.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Now that I've thought some more about it, I wish this just was, like Borderlands 2: Fallout edition. Just a campaign you could beat with three other people, perhaps a bit more open-worldy than Borderlands, but no other players or settlement bullshit.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Super Rad posted:

Wonder what his skeleton looks like

Hugging a second skeleton, I imagine.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Also there's definitely NPCs, just not human ones--there's a super mutant running around that'll sell you poo poo, at least. Why there's robot and super mutant NPCs but they drew the line at "definitely no visible human NPCs" is still a puzzle unto itself

The mutant, at least, has no actual dialogue. He just has (somewhat amusing the first time you hear them) barks and a trade menu. I am reluctant to call that an 'NPC'.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Lunatic Sledge posted:

assuming we're both talking about (Legendary?) Grahm, his lines are pretty scarce but he does actually talk--he references both his cow and a possible stash he left somewhere

(admittedly this is hard to notice in most of the footage I've seen of him, because youtubers can't shut up for five seconds)

Yes, that's what a 'bark' is, it's the gamedev term for lines NPCs say when you're nearby or activate them in some manner that isn't actually engaging in proper dialogue. ""I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee," "Khajiit has wares if you have coin", etc. Article about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I just hope this game's devs survive the release and reception of this game.