Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Manwithastick posted:

What’s the key to fusion cores? Is there a good way to keep a steady flow of them? I remember buying them from other players in the past but nobody seems to sell them anymore?

the whitesprings donation box after I get frustrated at the 30+ cores not selling again at any price and dump them there to free up space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

i know it's my fault for setting up camp directly behind fort defiance for the lead deposit and less competition but can scorchbeasts please not be resilient it's a bit of a gently caress you

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

forgot to use starched genes while messing with a rifles build and wiped most of my mutations before I noticed, oops. at least I found someone selling all of them after server jumping several times

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Catpants McStabby posted:

Sorry to bother, do you have any more? buying @85-100

not really someone cleared me out a few days after that post and I think I've only snagged a couple lately, good luck and hit up some of the mutated events with a gatling laser

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

sorry server I was on I just wanted to see the ultracite titan, I didn't care if we won

some rando I was helping do a silo didn't know about nukacrypt I guess and wasted a nuke keycard but it meant I got to nuke abandoned mine 2 without soloing it

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

still haven't watched it because it's 2024 and there's no captions on the video

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

bloodied meta is still good, quad explosive railway is the other go to for unyielding commando

cores are easy just jump on events and you'll have far too many. modules are annoying because you can only buy so many a day and have to grind out the rest in expeditions if you want more than 2-3 rolls. speaking of events this weekend is april fools so top of the hour events are different. today's is fasnacht

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

It is just taking a really long time to load, the HD texture pack does that. There's a mod to make it load faster. It uncaps FPS on loading screens, because load time is tied to FPS somehow. It's stupid

even without the texture pack fo4 PC has such excessively long loading screens I need that mod every time

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Modulo16 posted:

I just started FO76, and I like it. The only real gripe I have is that inventory management. I seem to become over encumbered quickly and then I’m left making choices or walk back to a stash to store my materials.

if you don't have 1st dump ammo and junk you don't use constantly it will free up the most space and is only somewhat frustrating considering basic and improved repair kits are pretty easy to come by.

other than that the options are removing mods from guns you aren't currently using to free a little space; store power armor pieces on frames in your stash (this frees up a lot of space if you're holding onto stuff to scrip; getting a chemist backpack and keeping most of your meds on you. getting rid of excess plans, pre-war food or drinks, all those floater grenades is also somewhere to look.

edit: lol free trial of 1st this week so build a scrap box and an ammo box and stuff them as full as you can until it ends. you can get things out of it even after the trial ends

the paradigm shift fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 16, 2024

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Fruits of the sea posted:

My partner wants to play New Vegas and honestly it's about time I play it too. It's been sitting on my wishlist for years as a back-up for some day when I needed a good rpg and didn't have anything new.

Any must have mods for fixing bugs or whatever? What's the Wrye Bash equivalent for the Fallout series? We're just gonna be tooling around, the vanilla experience and graphics are fine.

a mod manager, New Vegas anti crash, the mod that lets it use 4gb of ram, and casm (auto save mod) will get you through the game with minimal bugs; crashes; and headaches.

the paradigm shift fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 16, 2024

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

YerDa Zabam posted:

The free week thing should be available to all. I did a month sub previously and was still able to get it surprising. Seems that I have the option of the first month half price which is kinda tempting. The full price is too much for me to keep it going, but being able to start and stop it is pretty good

It was on the last page, but I'll repost incase anyone missed it

https://bethesda.net/en/article/1OWOoa4vD02lV8zh7p2fvE/fallout-76-test-drive-fallout-1st

it also gives a 10% score boost even if you already have 1st

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Simiain posted:

I installed FO4 when I got my X because, hell, its on Gamepass and it had been a few years since I had played it on the PC, but I remember getting lost in some sprawling factory a couple of hours in and getting so bored I uninstalled.

But I enjoy Bethesda games, damnit, even Starfield, so I'm inclined to give it another go. People talk about Bioware magic suddenly pulling a game together at the last minute, and I think Bethesda has their own variant of that, one where each of their games manages to put me into a fugue state where I'm not enjoying the game, and understand that I'm not enjoying it, but will nevertheless spend hours bunnyhopping around environments cashing in quests

if it helps at all the corvega factory sucks dick no matter how many times you do it if you are good at getting lost

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

please please please read up on eviction notice before joining it so you don't accidentally start it. not only is it embarrassing to fail at the repair the rad scrubber stage because you don't have time to hop into power armor but if you wait a few everyone will contact their friends to come in and you get lunchboxes and it won't fail

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Wee Bairns posted:

Starched genes is super important when it comes to keeping those mutations you want.

and doesn't unlock until mid level 40s. also the int hit from marsupial is pretty harsh I have trouble justifying it until level 50

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Paying2Lurk posted:

Found 1 dang magazine in the last 2 days. After finding like 5 right away when I started playing again. Argh. Been mixing up the spots I check, picking up and dropping burnt stuff and junk to help "reset" the spawns, and nothing.

you don't have to reset spawns for magazines they're spawned or not based on rng any time someone goes through the area. I just copied other people's routes on YouTube which gave me like twenty spots to check and only took about ten minutes

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Black Griffon posted:

What's the most pain free way to gather screws in 76? It's such a loving bottleneck.

tag it. clipboards and fans are the big ones yao gaui and wendigos drop them. https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1Jnc0FQ3QgkUO6HZObeeGksDTPwno1Fa-Bt7uXeqWib4/mobilebasic#h.p14wcsgx9tkk this Google doc is far from complete and a lot of the suggestions are questionable but it's useful

edit or maybe clipboards are springs gently caress if I can ever keep it straight

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Black Griffon posted:

So am I right in thinking that a level 45 weapon type will never be 50? It moves in ten level increments? If that's the case it's a little simpler than I thought.

yes. and buy modules the rng is bad enough already without overpaying for it from the purveyor.
---

I rolled myself a quad explosive railway finally and it's slightly less of a public menace than the +50% crit one; so I'm running around with it for bosses and a quad 50 vats hit chance fixer for trash mobs and not being mean at events. I feel really well balanced now between break rates and only having to carry two ammos anywhere. hell if it wasn't for mutated events I wouldn't even need anything else.

alien invaders starts tomorrow and the april fools day one gave me a glimpse of how hectic it is. the aliens also hit really hard, just hope it's not as buggy as the one day was had a few events just not start.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Kaddish posted:

What is the weapon or whatever that sounds like a steam whistle?

the railway rifle? I'm honestly not sure about the sound you mean but I've got bad ears

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

the well thing is something I'm not too clear on but can do. it's that you press the one button and tap the other one a lot and you get enough to boil up 10. or just grab that water boiler off the newest scoreboard and never well again

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

if the event that pops up is trash or isn't getting anyone just hop servers it's not worth waiting around on a dead world hoping for something. you've got between 4-6 minutes for most events to start after they pop and if you're really lucky you can drop into an event where they've done the annoying stuff and it's shooting time.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

The full tummy mod is trash too imo

it's the power armor meta but yeah garbage for weapons

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Paying2Lurk posted:

There's a trophy for finding 20 of them. So yes, brainworms.

also atoms for getting a full set of each magazine and you can display them to show off your brain worms

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

there's two reasonable methods for farming the materials, bloatfly syringer or nuke whitesprings on a private world so that you can respawn the ghouls

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Black Griffon posted:

I will never have a meta build and I will never buy the cold shoulder unless I just feel like it, fashion souls is a lifestyle not a hobby.

But in terms of general advice for precious resources: now that I've built my excavator, does it make sense to roll on all five pieces just so I can have a full set of three star power armor with a set bonus?

oh absolutely. even if you aren't looking for anything in particular getting a weapons or ammo weight reduction star is useful

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

the fixer plan also drops from mutated party packs from personal experience. I also didn't think it was limited to encryption but mostly because I remember getting it in a mine once; but that's hardly conclusive with bethesda bugs so not sure.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Kaddish posted:

How in the heck to I upgrade the level of my backpack? Should I have found a plan? I don't see a way to craft a new one.

Also, I'm pleasantly surprised by the amount of qol mods available. One of the reasons I never played 76, aside from the obvious, was I assumed we couldn't mod. It's not as extensive as FO4 but there's some decent ones.

tadpole quest, I forget where it starts but I believe it should be in your quest list. it sucks find some friends.

the fusion core people I can only recommend getting 700 atoms for the recharger and a list of power armor locations. every power armor has a fusion core. you can get two and some sugar bombs at the bridge if you're lucky but if you intend to use them regularly you need that charger it's hell otherwise

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Blue Raider posted:

63. But tbh the game isn’t letting me play how I want to, and it’s steadily gotten less fun as I level up. I’ll probably roll another character in New Vegas instead.

the survival mode nature of the game sucks at those levels I can't blame people for bouncing off it

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Paying2Lurk posted:

Also building up my bullion to buy all the Secret Service plans. Want that jetpack.

if that's all you want I wouldn't waste time on the SS just do the atlantic city content for the civil engineer armor and stamp grind

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Coolness Averted posted:

I don't understand that cap though, the game already has food rot even when in storage. The game already has a mechanic to prevent "I spent a weekend idle farming food, now I never have to worry about it again"
On the topic of food rotting, does the salt perk apply to food in your pack and storage? Even with a point in it, I never can use up food faster than it rots.

it doesn't apply to storage. you want the military cryo freezer from the raiders with gold if you want any chance of having up to 50 things last longer than a day. grocers backpack along with good with salt is the second best option and will outlast the normal freezer which is something like 50% slower spoilage rate

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Babe Magnet posted:

just remember the 256 rule, gotta that many items before they start respawning for you. there used to be a big document on where to farm a bunch of things, I'll see if I can dig it up

e: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Jnc0FQ3QgkUO6HZObeeGksDTPwno1Fa-Bt7uXeqWib4/mobilebasic

https://www.theduchessflame.com/post/how-spawns-work-and-how-to-respawn-resources-and-items-in-fallout-76 this explains the respawning in way more detail than anyone needs, but does conclusively say the number is 250.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

The Slack Lagoon posted:

For FO76 "Friends in Low Places" and "A Solid Foundation", is that based on which faction you use for Vault 79, or can you get max rep via dailies and get both on the same character?

those two you can get that way yeah it's the who you side with one that's character dependant

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

The Slack Lagoon posted:

FO76

How do daily quest resets work? It doesn't really seem like they all actually reset? I haven't been able to do the Cooking Mama one in Whitespring except for the first time I did it.

those whitesprings refuge dailys reset when daily ops do but there's several of them and often times you have to walk right up to whoever before it pops.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

vendors at whitesprings will have it in bulk and also train stations

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I see that there is a Responders power armor skin. How often to Atom store items cycle?

about once a week, most items are there nearly a month although there's frequently more limited sales. there's also the support request method but you'll have to google for how that's done I've never bothered.

as to how long until the specific item rotates back around it's never clear until tuesday

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

also only the leader gets the quest completion so might as well just do interiors alone except for xp grinding I guess

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Books On Tape posted:

How do they release these updates in this state? Crashing about 50% of the time on the Invader events.

I found it worse during the april fools event it's been pretty stable for me and I've had to had done like twenty at this point, just the usual yeeting into the sky and one serious lockup where I thought it might crash but recovered. are you on ps4?

as an aside finally hit rank 150 so endless modules for the next month or so woo

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Vegastar posted:

One real obnoxious thing: if you’re a power armor user the game considers the pip boy not equipped while wearing it, so you just plain can’t complete anything without getting out of your armor.

Not the end of the world but it was an unpleasant thing to discover after picking up a bunch of abraxo and poo poo.

mark the challenges in the menu; it'll pop up something when you complete any portion of it and if it doesn't pop up it's a good indicator that something isn't meeting the requirement.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

yeah i think i paid like $8 for it. anyone with a prime account can get you a free code(maybe, i think it's through the end of this month?), it's just if it is on pc it'll be through the microsoft store.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Books On Tape posted:

I swear it pops up well after I've done my dailies and weeklies. Also it tends to always happen in the middle of combat in an event. It also only increases a tiny bit, not the usual amount for the daily activities.

yeah that's your gain x amount of experience one, it works until rank 100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Only do Atlantic City. They’re easy as hell and perfect for farming ammo.

You can do them solo tbh might die a few times if you’re poo poo like me but it’s still easy

honestly I just like to have someone else there to distract enemies so I'm not their entire focus when I rambo in