Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
teeth
This poll is closed.
I use an electric toothbrush 14 28.57%
I use a traditional toothbrush 16 32.65%
I use floss 2 4.08%
I use a floss pick 1 2.04%
I use a Waterpik or equivalent 0 0%
floss my pick you toothman 5 10.20%
I don’t have teeth 4 8.16%
I abstain from brushing and flossing because it’s not natural 5 10.20%
💅🏼🧚🏼‍♀️👼🏼 0 0%
Mom joke (scrub option) 2 4.08%
Total: 49 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Good morning goons!

Let’s talk about how to keep our teeth and gums healthy. A lot of people brush and floss with the right intentions, but can miss crucial areas during cleaning. This opens up the door for plaque, gingivitis, and cavities! I got a waterpik for a few weeks ago and am finally learning how to use it correctly (and without getting water everywhere). It’s kinda cool but it’s VERY LOUD. I’ve kept traditional floss around just to see if anything gets left behind, but I think I got the technique down because I hardly see much, if anything anymore.

Then I managed to pick up a Sonicare toothbrush over the weekend on clearance and it’s actually quieter than the $5 disposable electric toothbrushes I used. I feel late in transitioning to all electronic oral care. Still have mixed feelings, but it feels wild whenever I have to use a traditional toothbrush.

So let’s talk about all things teeth and gums here! 🆗

e: thread music:

Mozi posted:

well i'm mozi and i'm here to rap
about teeth hygiene and gettin' rid of plaque
brush twice a day, electric is swell
and floss will send gum disease to hell
now just don't eat too much marzipan
and your teeth will look like the piltdown man's
word up

buglord fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jan 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i only consume soylent, op, so my tooth is fine

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

[A MESSAGE FROM THE CLERGY]

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.
I like the Sonicare but I've learned to put the drat thing in my mouth before starting it up when I have fresh toothpaste on it. Otherwise, it'll just fling off.

Waterpiks are neat. Had one in the 90s.

Pull all teeth and eat paste. It's probably cheaper.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Electric toothbrush: primary is an oral b black 7000. Secondary is a philips Sonicare DiamondClean I rarely use, having received it as a gift a few months after buying the oral b.

Floss pick: Listerine reach flosser.

Waterpick: waterpik wp100.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

buglord posted:

Then I managed to pick up a Sonicare toothbrush over the weekend on clearance and it’s actually quieter than the $5 disposable electric toothbrushes I used. I feel late in transitioning to all electronic oral care. Still have mixed feelings, but it feels wild whenever I have to use a traditional toothbrush.

target? I saw a bunch of discounted ones there the other day. $125 for some $250 toothbrush that has fuckin Bluetooth inside it for some reason

I shoulda bought one cause my teeth are rotting out of my gums and I'm too poor to use the dental insurance I've been paying for

Stevie Lee fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jan 29, 2018

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Yeah target. One was regular 60 and I got it for 27. Doesn’t have the Bluetooth mumbojumbo but it’s still a Sonicare.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
well i'm mozi and i'm here to rap
about teeth hygiene and gettin' rid of plaque
brush twice a day, electric is swell
and floss will send gum disease to hell
now just don't eat too much marzipan
and your teeth will look like the piltdown man's
word up

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

If you're getting oral be considerate and wash your penis+balls

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
don't just brush your teeth, remember to also clean your tongue and gargle some water so you don't get tonsil stones (which smell loving awful from what I've read)

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Tonsil stones provide a sensation on the head of the penis that he'll never forget

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Don't forget to brush your skeleton

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I used to use a sonicare. My dentist said it was loving up my gums or something from brushing too hard and I should switch to whatever oral b equivalent at the time was. I'm sure it was just a coincidence that his office was selling exclusively oral b products.

Now I just use a regular one because mine started doing this thing where it would randomly turn on and off. I'd keep waking up to it bugging out multiple times a night and during brushing i had to start it up like 20 times before I was done because it would shut off. Eventually I just let it run until the battery died and I threw it out.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I used to use a sonicare. My dentist said it was loving up my gums or something from brushing too hard and I should switch to whatever oral b equivalent at the time was. I'm sure it was just a coincidence that his office was selling exclusively oral b products.

Now I just use a regular one because mine started doing this thing where it would randomly turn on and off. I'd keep waking up to it bugging out multiple times a night and during brushing i had to start it up like 20 times before I was done because it would shut off. Eventually I just let it run until the battery died and I threw it out.

Should have splurged on the oral a

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

No Goku option. Voted one. Some of us rely on Saiyan help to get those whites pearly.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Why isn't this multi choice?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Over There posted:

Why isn't this multi choice?

oh no

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I have a sonicare and a rotadent. I use glide floss and sensodyne toofpaste. And I chew gum after I eat if I am out and about. And I brush my tongue when I brush my teeth.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I have a sonicare toothbrush and floss occasionally with those flossed pick things

I found a great dentist with TVs on the ceiling and I watch Netflix while having my teeth worked on. I watched planet earth II while getting a crown FYI

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Kuato posted:

I have a sonicare toothbrush and floss occasionally with those flossed pick things

I found a great dentist with TVs on the ceiling and I watch Netflix while having my teeth worked on. I watched planet earth II while getting a crown FYI

Mine always just has some old pixar movie on mute when I go. I guess he needs to get with the times.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
My dentist keeps recommending me to get my wisdom teeth taken out but I'm just not eager to have that done. I probably should though because complications from not doing it seem inevitable. They're hard to brush.

I feel like I'm gonna keep delaying doing it though until they tell me I'll die if I dont or something

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
I need to see a dentist

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
DON’T post a picture of a dentist & say, “See?”

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Drink a lot and don’t eat candy. Problem solved.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I went about six years without seeing a dentist when I was in my late teens/early twenties. It was driven mostly by apathy and insurance issues. When I finally went I had something like 8 cavities, one crown, and a root canal. I also went ahead and got my wisdom teeth out during that time because why not. It was a 'sedation' procedure so I don't remember anything except drooling in the car on the car ride home.

I go twice per year now and I'm taking better care of my teeth (although I don't floss regularly). I haven't had any cavities in the last year.

My dentist has a pretty sweet painting of a lobster on the exam room wall.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Cum toothpaste?

Silly Ray Cyrus
Dec 14, 2007

Forget it
I have a sonicare.

Flossing is more important and I really want a waterpik because it seems like it'd be more fun than standard flossing and encourage me to do it more.

My aesthetic teeth look great, but my functional teeth are kind of hosed, so I can't eat gummy worms anymore but I look really nice when I smile still :unsmith:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Cool Dude 69 posted:

Flossing is more important and I really want a waterpik because it seems like it'd be more fun than standard flossing and encourage me to do it more.

Waterpiks are cool but dont expect a miracle off the bat, because its quite a learning curve to use. maybe it isnt for most people and im just a dumb GBS poster, but it wasnt as easy as the tutorial videos led me to believe. that said, I really enjoy it now.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I brush twice a day, and I try to floss at least every other day.

I haven't been to the dentist in almost eight years, but none of my teeth hurt and my gums don't bleed when I floss.

....also, I had a really bad experience at a dentist's office once and it scares the poo poo out of me to go now.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Rad-daddio posted:

....also, I had a really bad experience at a dentist's office once and it scares the poo poo out of me to go now.

Maybe this thread can help you. I know there’s a growing dentist “market” for people with similar hurdles. Chances are maybe someone there knows more about oral sedation.

The_end
May 17, 2014
I use the Goku Method.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

buglord posted:

Maybe this thread can help you. I know there’s a growing dentist “market” for people with similar hurdles. Chances are maybe someone there knows more about oral sedation.

Maybe.

The problem is the cleanings. I had a scary dentist(the only one my lovely insurance would cover) who did a really violent cleaning job and really hosed me up. Like, he was holding the little pick thing overhand while he was angrily digging away at my teeth and gums. So, after that I was sitting there with my own mouth blood smeared all over my face and this dentist gets up and yells something at his hygienist and kicks the wastebasket on the way out. I just remember the scared look on her face, and the fact that she was crying a little while she helped me wash the blood off my face.

I reported him to my insurance, and considered waiting for his funky old rear end in the parking lot, but he literally retired two weeks later and nothing became of the whole event.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
I hate when dentist do that thing where they put pressure on your tooth with the sharp pic thing. Stop trying to punch a hole in my tooth, drat it.

Or the loving doctor gets some twisted pleasure in asking you questions after getting your mouth full of gauze and other poo poo.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Wicker Man posted:

I hate when dentist do that thing where they put pressure on your tooth with the sharp pic thing. Stop trying to punch a hole in my tooth, drat it.

Or the loving doctor gets some twisted pleasure in asking you questions after getting your mouth full of gauze and other poo poo.

I hate when they check gum depth or whatever the gently caress by poking you in the gums with that sharp rod.

Also hate when they miss when trying to scrape off plaque and accidentally poke me in a sensitive gum area, but I forgive them.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I use a miswak because I follow the Qurʾān, OP.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I don’t like the drilling sound, but aside from that the only thing I don’t like about dentists is the bill. Even with insurance it can get pricey.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Rad-daddio posted:

I reported him to my insurance, and considered waiting for his funky old rear end in the parking lot, but he literally retired two weeks later and nothing became of the whole event.

at least hes probably dead now like my old dentist :negative:.

I think the one thing which I absolutely loathe is getting x-rays done. Here, stick some folded pointy piece of plastic around your back molars and just try to ignore the stabbing pain or your gag reflex otherwise we gotta start all over again. That single event is why I haven't set up an intake appointment for a dentist.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
So what's a decent electric toothbrush that isn't fuckin' $250? I've been wanting to go electric for a while but I have no idea what the difference is between a $35 one and one that's a couple hundred bucks and don't want to go too cheap and get a lovely brush, but also don't want to waste a lot of money on something that's not any better than something else half it's price.

Shats Basoon
Jun 13, 2013

Please be sure to pick up the habit of flossing if you don't already. Your date will thank you for not having nasty horrible breath.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
when i was a kid i had braces and hated cleaning my teeth because it was hard so i never did it and then because it hurt because i never did it

i used to suck out the bits of food that were trapped in my braces

my gums used to hurt when i did any physical exercise because they were so weak

now i brush and floss and i have all my teeth and no cavities. and my mouth isn't incredibly gross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Ray Cyrus
Dec 14, 2007

Forget it

Jesus Christ posted:

So what's a decent electric toothbrush that isn't fuckin' $250? I've been wanting to go electric for a while but I have no idea what the difference is between a $35 one and one that's a couple hundred bucks and don't want to go too cheap and get a lovely brush, but also don't want to waste a lot of money on something that's not any better than something else half it's price.

I got a sonicare off amazon on sale for like 25 bux, strangely enough after looking at the Quip. V:)V

Apparently, as far as I can discern you want an oscillating brush-- not a spinning one, and focus on the gum line

Silly Ray Cyrus fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 31, 2018

• Locked thread