Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pram
Jun 10, 2001
members of sa are getting old, what are some hot tips for senior computing? carpal tunnel. diabetes induced vision loss. memory impairment. post 'em if u got em lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

having trouble seeing the screen? get a big fancy 27" widescreen monitor and set the resolution to 800x600!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

imagine goatseing that woman

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
just get a webtv

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
carpal tunnel and eyestrain

also depression

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

new games are scary so make sure your dosbox.conf file is tight

it's like autoexec.bat but if you bugger it up you can fix it without waiting 2 minutes for a reboot

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
dolores and i are streaming gone with the wind later

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Dongslayer. posted:

if she says "doesn't look like anything to me" immediately run

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
my computer is so old that it`s just a terminal. the mainframe was dismantled decades ago. i have nothigng. m typing this on grandsons computer and crying

pram
Jun 10, 2001

flakeloaf posted:

new games are scary so make sure your dosbox.conf file is tight

it's like autoexec.bat but if you bugger it up you can fix it without waiting 2 minutes for a reboot

indeed i can only enjoy stuff from the late 80s/early 90s. good tip

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I'm using a Commodore 64 as no one can put malware on it :smug:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

You Am I posted:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
paging rotor to the thread

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

You Am I posted:

i remember like ten years ago there was some drama on the Orycon mailing list where someone was pisspants about a proposal to start sending the convention newsletter as PDF instead of spending money to print it out on paper because it wasn't compatible with their commodore 64. like no poo poo this guy was still stubbornly clinging onto his C64 as his daily driver for email. it was amazing.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
if i remember right his compromise solution was "send me a raw PostScript file that i can decode and print out with [some ancient piece of software]"

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
when i first started at my current job the olds were so computer illiterate that one person would print out a regularly issued document from a pdf and then hand the hard copy to another person to scan.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i saved a coworker today from posting someone's name as their linkedin status instead of searching for the name

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

i saved a coworker today from posting someone's name as their linkedin status instead of searching for the name

should have let them fail horribly, imo

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_XaJdDqQA0

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Bloody posted:

ed balls day is in april

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Get a grandkid to explain bitcoin and install Internet Explorer because my Dell only came with Edge

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

should have let them fail horribly, imo

nah i like em

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i remember like ten years ago there was some drama on the Orycon mailing list where someone was pisspants about a proposal to start sending the convention newsletter as PDF instead of spending money to print it out on paper because it wasn't compatible with their commodore 64. like no poo poo this guy was still stubbornly clinging onto his C64 as his daily driver for email. it was amazing.

same but in 10+ years with all my stebe (pbuh) era phone and macbook

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

here's my hot tip to prevent carpal tunnel when mousing

don't use one of these

use one of these instead

and pair it with one of these

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

akadajet posted:

here's my hot tip to prevent carpal tunnel when mousing

don't use one of these

use one of these instead

and pair it with one of these

i need a thing that elevates the back of my keyboard so that my wrists aren’t all bent back on themselves. got anything like that in your ol’ bag of tricks, op?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

President Beep posted:

i need a thing that elevates the back of my keyboard so that my wrists arent all bent back on themselves. got anything like that in your ol bag of tricks, op?

I use a wrist rest to raise my wrists up
https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-WaveRest-Wrist-Keyboards-F8E263-BLK/dp/B00004Z5RA/

I go through like 2 of these a year though, because the foam will start to collapse after awhile. But they are cheap.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

President Beep posted:

i need a thing that elevates the back of my keyboard so that my wrists aren’t all bent back on themselves. got anything like that in your ol’ bag of tricks, op?

kabam

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Or just lay in bed and put your laptop/keyboard on your ever-growing gut

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

akadajet posted:

I use a wrist rest to raise my wrists up
https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-WaveRest-Wrist-Keyboards-F8E263-BLK/dp/B00004Z5RA/

I go through like 2 of these a year though, because the foam will start to collapse after awhile. But they are cheap.

i like this. gonna try one, i think. thank you.

but this, though. what the gently caress is this?! some kind of pervert sex chair???

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

President Beep posted:

i like this. gonna try one, i think. thank you.

but this, though. what the gently caress is this?! some kind of pervert sex chair???

No- that is a perfectly normal keyboard for normal people.

If it was AZERTY it would be a pervert sex chair

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

noted.

:mrgw:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

the microsoft ergonomic keyboards come with a little platform thing that cants the board forward. it's been helpful for my feeble old wrists

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Roosevelt posted:

the microsoft ergonomic keyboards come with a little platform thing that cants the board forward. it's been helpful for my feeble old wrists

just checked those out on amazon. very nice. i bet my boss would buy one for me.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i like how this thread has gone serious. mistakes into miracles and all that...

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Dongslayer. posted:

subs or dubs

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
talked to a kid who said business school is hard because they use excel a lot

sometimes kids cant help us old timers

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lmao every time

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shaggar posted:

lmao every time

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

lmao every time

that isn't even the worst part. the mouse is physically painful to use more than an hour at a time because of it's dumb rear end low profile design.

• Locked thread