Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

:rip: stymie. a true somethingawful og.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

drat in 18 years stymie only caught two bans. impressive.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mr. Nice! posted:

drat in 18 years stymie only caught two bans. impressive.
https://twitter.com/dril/status/831805955402776576?lang=en

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

uncurable mlady posted:

like it's honestly super gross for stymie to compare their treatment on here to being the victim of sexual assault

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

has anyone watched Silicon Valley S06E01 and is it good

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

uncurable mlady posted:

like it's honestly super gross for stymie to compare their treatment on here to being the victim of sexual assault

Stymie posted:

i'm not comparing my treatment, i'm comparing the defenses being used to justify it

if they're okay with heaping abuse on a random internet poster and write it off the same way people dismiss victims of sexual assault then they've opened themselves up just that little bit more to possibly doing something worse

that’s literally what you’re doing by invoking the comparison you loving idiot. this is disgusting

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MononcQc posted:

has anyone watched Silicon Valley S06E01 and is it good

it's extremely good

they dove headfirst into a pile of horseshit and doubled down on richard-as-villain

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i stopped watching it after season 1 even though i really enjoyed it because i mostly just don’t watch any tv

i might pick it back up now that i know it’s ending

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i hope jared finds peace

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
does silicon valley suffer from office space itis where if you've spent real time in that field, it's way less funny because it's basically true?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

It is and honestly it's super upsetting to hear it because of what's happened to me over the past few months.

Like honestly, deeply upsetting.

💜

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

playstation vue is dying at the end of the year and dish or sling didn't even want their customers so cord cutting tv packages is going super great, apparently

quote:

“Unfortunately, the highly competitive Pay TV industry, with expensive content and network deals, has been slower to change than we expected,” said Sony’s John Kodera of the move. “Because of this, we have decided to remain focused on our core gaming business.”

PlayStation Vue started four years ago and was meant to be an alternative to standard cable or satellite subscription packages. Apparently though, the endeavor didn’t work out for Sony monetarily otherwise, you know, they’d probably not be bailing ship on Vue.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Jonny 290 posted:

does silicon valley suffer from office space itis where if you've spent real time in that field, it's way less funny because it's basically true?

i mean its still funny but in a different, more depressing, way

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jonny 290 posted:

yes and no?

i find both office space and silicon valley to be more funny because they're so very true

silicon valley is at least meaner than office space. office space is far too kind to its protagonists. silicon valley is totally comfortable with the main characters being awful, horrible human beings who actively promote the terrible things they have gotten themselves into

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hell yeah i might check it out then ty

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qirex posted:

playstation vue is dying at the end of the year and dish or sling didn't even want their customers so cord cutting tv packages is going super great, apparently

sony was selling cable tv, over the internet, for the same price as just buying a cable package

also it is $10 more than the exact same offering from google

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
my love for stymie does not exonerate him

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Yeah silicon valley definitely hits close to home for me. Also rip stymie, died trying to increase shareholder value by lowering salaries of workers

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

rotor posted:

if you've never encountered someone whom "performative brokeness" describes perfectly then I envy you.

in louisiana the term is "fauxbo"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

i don't even technically work in silicon valley but i know a personal example of every archetype from that show. it's spot-on.

read the nyt interview where they talk about how astro teller's behavior when they interviewed him was too unbelievable to put in the show

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Silicon Valley would be more depressing if I weren't remote and with an easier way to dissociate from the wild valley work environments, but it's also funnier when you can spot all the archetypes and play a kind of bingo where you identify which character is based on which real person or series of events.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i'm the shell cordovan

lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MononcQc posted:

Silicon Valley would be more depressing if I weren't remote and with an easier way to dissociate from the wild valley work environments, but it's also funnier when you can spot all the archetypes and play a kind of bingo where you identify which character is based on which real person or series of events.

yeah outside the core group of protagonists, almost all of the "fictional" characters are only very thinly fictionalized

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

i'm glad someone got the joke

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

sony was selling cable tv, over the internet, for the same price as just buying a cable package

also it is $10 more than the exact same offering from google

ps vue used to be pretty cheap when it launched but yeah, i dropped them once they hiked their prices up

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i keep wondering about this thesis that "all tech companies are bad & unethical, therefore logically all tech workers are bad and aiding unethical behavior".

there are literally thousands of companies making custom software for managing parking permits, tracking parcels.. software that is basically commissioned to speed up a non-tech company's day to day operations through the use of modern technology

apparently all those developers working on that software - all over the world - should go gently caress themselves and enlist in re-education as a worldwide coordinated unified front because a small but vocal minority of extremely privileged failchildren

do you also go around your local schools and try to persuade the administration to go back using spreadsheets on paper instead of word and excel?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

basically this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc1P-AEaEp8

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Penisface posted:

i keep wondering about this thesis that "all tech companies are bad & unethical, therefore logically all tech workers are bad and aiding unethical behavior".

there are literally thousands of companies making custom software for managing parking permits, tracking parcels.. software that is basically commissioned to speed up a non-tech company's day to day operations through the use of modern technology

apparently all those developers working on that software - all over the world - should go gently caress themselves and enlist in re-education as a worldwide coordinated unified front because a small but vocal minority of extremely privileged failchildren

do you also go around your local schools and try to persuade the administration to go back using spreadsheets on paper instead of word and excel?

almost like it was a ridiculous claim engineered to get people to engage so that he could turn it around to talk about himself :thunk:

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

almost like it was a ridiculous claim engineered to get people to engage so that he could turn it around to talk about himself :thunk:

but he also didn't talk about himself

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Penisface posted:

you should appreciate the artful gimmick, but you shouldn’t engage

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Penisface posted:

replace tech with cops and you'll understand the reasoning, if not the conclusion. not all tech is bad, but a lot of it is. suppose you're just automating processes to make things more efficient. that will ultimately lead to job losses; eventually automation and tech can make things more efficient, but without support for those displaced it often does actively make things worse. a lot of vc funders have questionable ethics

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

The options are to do the lovely work by hand, or automate it and be evil. It has nothing to do with the accumulation of capital created by the hands of the laborers into the pockets of capitalists, we have to blame the employees in A for getting rid of the job of the employees in B.

In conclusion, the idea is that it is easier to convince everyone to keep doing the manual labor than it is to address the problem around the concentration of capital because ???

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

restore progressive taxes to the way they were at the beginning of the new deal, and make the work week 25 hours so more people will be employed.

basically i'd be happy if we just copy whatever sweden's doing atm

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the choices are get paid to do something that advances someone else's interests, often malign, anti-social interests, or die in a ditch

unless you were inherited a great sum of money, there was never some moment where you got to choose whether you would work for something unambiguously good or evil in the world. you were born into this leaking wreck of a society and you will die embedded in the same

just try and get paid and take care of your family and be kind to one another

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
good night, this iteration of this thread