Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

my bitter bi rival posted:

make it a property tax not a sales tax tho

luv 2 tax regressively

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

eschaton posted:

hypothesis: in the future, November 8, 2016 will be considered a much worse point in United States history than September 11, 2001
post/name combo

DELETE CASCADE posted:

why are marketing people obsessed with the difference between ease and simplicity lately?
watched one too many Rich Hickey talks?

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
Will megan mcardle doing her thing on the larger platform of wapo opinon be good for chapo trap house? Signs point to yes, imo

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

without a doubt one of the dumbest motherfuckers on this planet.

she's paid to be wrong about things and literally educated, groomed, and selected by a Koch-funded institute

Say what you will about how disgusting the right wing is, they know how to build institutions, create talent funnels, and exercise power with and through nominally centrist allies

I guess the people who just loving love power know more about how it works, how to build it, how to use it

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

ate all the Oreos posted:

pretty soon there will be nothing but college-educated white men in california and racism and diversity will be solved forever!

hmm, time to invest in human trafficking and mail order bride businesses for the bay area

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Sagebrush posted:

i think that notch was sent to earth by some minor deity as a living lesson in how money doesn't buy you happiness

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Sagebrush posted:

two Billion dollars and he lives in beyonce's giant estate in bel air. he could pay four guys a quarter million a year each to be his full-time entourage. another million a year keeping his house stocked with booze and drugs and food. another ten million up front to buy a bunch of lamborghinis and jet skis. he'd soon have an unending stream of hot young people showing up to party. so for that relatively tiny investment he could keep up a 24/7/365 bacchanalia for the rest of his natural life and still have hundreds of millions left over.

but afaict he just holes up in his room and mansplains about feminism on twitter

somebody has to have told him that he should probably (DEFINITELY) be in therapy by now

I guess notch Just Knows Better

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

cis autodrag posted:

I think a difficulty in pushing leftist issues is that people really need to have some basis of foundational assumptions for their reality, and for most conservatives these assumptions are inherited from a colonial and racist history. When you tell them one of those assumptions is incorrect, it's not just criticism. You're literally taking a sledgehammer to the reality they thought they lived in. A violent response (be that social, political, or physical) is not only natural, but an act of self preservation on their part.

Human brains just aren't wired that well for confronting flaws in our bases assumptions. Bernie and Hillary both sold a message that America has gotten some things wrong, and Donald sold the message that America cannot be wrong. It's not surprising that people who are now shocked by his behavior jumped on board the train at election time. Decorum didn't matter to them then, just preserving the reality where they're just innocent moral folks trying to live their own lives and stay out of others business. Now they're seeing the reality of Trump and being forced to confront their flawed foundations anyway, leading to his approval contracting to only hardened unapologetic racists and monsters.

as always a good and substantive post is mostly not engaged with

(also you are still owed 1 avatar)

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

*takes off hat labelled "GOALPOST MOVERS"*
*wipes sweat from brow*
it's rough, but it's a living

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

except in Canada as documented above, you tiresome bithc

wow, you picked a largely irrelevant point to be technically correct about A*M*A---zing

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

uncurable mlady posted:

he also defends the post as a “straw man” which, yeah ok, there’s nothing corporate VPs love more than to make straw man arguments to their entire company in order to “start a discussion”

"Even I didn't agree with my post as I was making it!!! If the employee who leaked thought it was in earnest and argued fully against it instead of leaking, I would have given them a cookie and a promotion!!!! Now, when we find him or her, they will have to endure the Punishment Cube"

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

a retarded man who is crying and promising his broken car that it will still be an ai someday

saddest thing

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

beeeeezooooooooos!!!!

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/980954401945866240

According to sources, Trump wants the Post Office to increase Amazon’s shipping costs. When Trump previously discussed the idea inside the White Hose, Gary Cohn had explained that Amazon is a benefit to the Postal Service, which has seen mail volume plummet in the age of e-mail. “Trump doesn’t have Gary Cohn breathing down his neck saying you can’t do the Post Office poo poo,” a Republican close to the White House said. “He really wants the Post Office deal renegotiated. He thinks Amazon’s getting a huge loving deal on shipping.”

Advisers are also encouraging Trump to cancel Amazon’s pending multi-billion contract with the Pentagon to provide cloud computing services, sources say. Another line of attack would be to encourage attorneys general in red states to open investigations into Amazon’s business practices. Sources say Trump is open to the ideas. (The White House did not respond to a request for comment.)

I hope this poo poo goes hot, real hot. It'd be the opposite of the "Aliens vs. Predator" tagline: "whoever loses, we win"*

(*statement inaccurate if conflict enhances Bezos' political statue and he puts together a credible presidential run. "Bezos 2020: already close enough to controlling everything, right?")

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
Of course thinking that The Bezos himself would run is ridic. He could just superpac like nuts

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

ThePeavstenator posted:

i love my precedent-based government

I love this dead, lame precedent-and-norms based forum government

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

fishmech posted:

So got it, you're illiterate.

Huh, so did someone read your post aloud and then take dictation to allow an illiterate person to argue with you?

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

FrozenVent posted:

you guys must feel real salty about costco

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
What Is Propaganda 101 (For Computer Touchers)
https://github.com/nemild/hack-an-engineer
https://www.nemil.com/musings/hack-an-engineer.html

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Hundreds of people were scammed out of the $3,000 prize and 24 hours time by the judges and the winning team. Am I able to sue, or at least take any legal action against this clear breach of trust?

I'm sorry that you went to a bullshit hackathon and actually worked hard.

Did anyone sign a contract creating any obligations between you or your team and the organizers or judges of this hackathon? Of loving course not, so no, you can't.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

oh, is luigi's post a verbatim quote or ironic restatement of some HN comment complaining about :females: winning a hackathon?

I'd expect that over in, idk, the HN thread

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Endless Mike posted:

imagine being an academic studying incels

wow... I can visualize the grant money flowing into my field

I.. I think maybe I could bring in another two graduate students, maybe a postdoc?

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Endless Mike posted:

imagine being an academic studying incels

all other things being equal, an academic studying incels is probably >50% likely to be an SA forums member

like this is the origin of fursecution and the weekend web :shrug:

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Schadenboner posted:

As analyst or analysand?

Jordan Peterson _markets_ to incels, he does not do academic research on them

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

CNBC posted:

Apple loses $64 billion in stock value as Wall Street is in 'full panic mode' on iPhone demand

Apple's stock is cumulatively down 7.1 percent in the three trading sessions through Monday, wiping out $63.9 billion of shareholder value. The decline was sparked by key Apple partner Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing's weaker-than-expected guidance Thursday morning.

"Heading into Apple's much anticipated March (FY2Q18) quarter next week the Street has gone into 'full panic mode' as supply chain checks out of Asia indicate that June iPhone shipments are trending well below expectations," GBH Insights analyst Daniel Ives writes in a note to clients Tuesday.

Fred Hickey, editor of High Tech Strategist, believes TSMC's poor guidance is a precursor to a chip sector and stock market drop.

I bring you a link

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/24/apple-loses-64-billion-in-value-as-wall-street-is-in-full-panic-mode.html

lest my row in yospos.xls be "white noise and off topic, 24/7"

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
techbubb.le 451: amazon key party

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

fishmech posted:

net neutrality has nothing to do with whether you can have a municipal broadband utility. namaste.

how fishmech got their groove back

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

lancemantis posted:

that's they same way they're built around here, except they never get torn down

assuming that houses get torn down every decade or so probably affects

depreciation rates (another tax policy / real estate tie )

continuity of construction demand

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Beast of Bourbon posted:

half of tokyos square mileage is a massive national forest.

wut

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

haveblue posted:

he's going to invent Can-D to help his martian peons escape into fantasy and forget about unionization
how many stigmata does eldritch muskman have

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

have you tried the one chip challenge?

had 3 friends split one and apparently it takes a good 3-5 minutes to kick in because at first all three were all "big deal" and then when it kicked in 1 guy was curled up in the tub and all 3 had sweat pouring off them like the dude in airplane and i was laughing my rear end off.

Those paqui chips are good as hell. If I were trying to train myself to tolerate extremely spicy things, I'd start with using their ghost pepper chips, not as intense as the Carolina reaper, but still a challenge / bad idea to eat more than 2 or 3 at a time

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

"the government will surely come to its senses before disaster" seems to be working out fantastic so far so i see no reason why we can't continue relying on it

"Do absolutely nothing until a crisis" is absolutely how governments solve problems that none of their major stakeholders care about, yes I know :thejoke:

I wonder what shock therapies will be pushed during our next crisis of capital

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

refleks posted:

what happened to grimes boyfriends thread?

hailthefish posted:

grimes' boyfriend is literally just a lovely rich dude like every other lovely rich dude whose only actual contribution to anything is to throw money at it and dumb nerds worship him like the second coming because he acts ~quirky~ on twitter

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

he looked exactly like the person you're imagining would drive the official cuck truck too

My Other Car, My Other Dick (Is A Gun), Cuck Truckson

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/may/22/silicon-valley-pastor-gregory-stevens-wealth-liberals

quote:

In his email to the Guardian, Stevens was also outspoken about the harms of the tech sector, accusing Facebook of “completely destroying (through rapid gentrification) the historical black and brown East Palo Alto neighborhood”, which is adjacent to the tech company’s Menlo Park headquarters and not far from his church.

“The working class does not benefit from these ‘advances’, but cook, clean, and baby sit rich babies before heading off to home on long hours of public transit.”

Stevens said he was originally drawn to the church because of its “progressive Baptist theology”, noting historical Baptist figures such as Nat Turner, who led a slave revolt, and Martin Luther King Jr. He said he was also inspired by the local pastor, a gay man who had fought for years to be ordained.

But Palo Alto, he said, “wanted nothing to do with actual justice and was more interested in guarding their enclave of power and wealth”, adding: “If the wealth inequalities are not addressed, any talk about climate change, homelessness, and migrant rights is in vain.”

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
Well of course Grimes' boyfriend has no idea what the wages of a truck driver are, or whether or not they are normally expected to do tons of poo poo work in addition to driving.

It's not Real Labor, like Software Engineeringing, or maybe Electrical / Mechanical,, or ignoring industrial ergonomics and best practice, so why would he know anything about it??

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

organized religion is better than the tech sector weve come full circle

Xaris posted:

nah the vast majority of organized religion (in america) is still like mormons or south baptist "kill all negros n gays" churches. lgbtq-inclusive/left-ish churches are very very few and not really organized much either, most limited to unitarian universalism at the very most which is extreme minority

re: religious leadership that's kinda good, these folks seem to have the right idea:
https://www.poorpeoplescampaign.org/
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/05/14/william-barber-takes-on-poverty-and-race-in-the-age-of-trump

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
during my iq test at the age of 5 or so I remember conflating thomas edison and thomas jefferson, then catching and correcting myself

probably a false memory, probably the psychologist told me I was wrong

got into g&t program anyway. delicious delicious gin and tonics

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Sagebrush posted:

tbh i'm kinda surprised that somethingawful never had a "dump on the real winners of dating sites" thread. maybe it's too cruel. but it would be fun

i found another girl who said in her first paragraph that she was seriously committed to the zero-waste ideology, and "all of my waste for this year so far fits into one mason jar"

cool cool cool.

wanna really impress me, girl? your waste should fill only half of this cup

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

fuuuuuck i bet that victim's family is wishing they hadn't settled out of court right now

quote:

Toxicology test results for the pedestrian were positive for methamphetamine and marijuana
oh good, looking forward to all the news articles about how she was no saint!!!!

depending on the state liability statutes, settling out of court might have been really good for them

now if the police let uber know about the tox result, that probably resulted in the settlement being $millions less.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

syscall girl posted:

LA ain't got poo poo on Vegas for bad ideas

Not caping for literal golf courses in a desert nor any other Vegas ridiculousness, but having a massive dam nearby is pretty good for water supply

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
rarely do I read 250 posts in a row and smile the entire time. that was priceless

nbsd, please feel yourself more often.