Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

atomicthumbs posted:

that thread was four years old. it belongs in a museum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XfWxeszXEI&t=74s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

atomicthumbs posted:

that thread was four years old. it belongs in a grave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XfWxeszXEI&t=77s

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/missouri-hyperloop-coalition-announces-feasibility-study-along-i-70-route posted:

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Travelling from Kansas City to St. Louis in less than 30 minutes might sound like science fiction, but the possibility of bringing a hyperloop route to Missouri took a big step forward Tuesday.

The Missouri Hyperloop Coalition announced they are moving forward with a feasibility study of a hyperloop route along I-70 that would connect Kansas City, Columbia, and St. Louis.

“It is one of the best we’ve seen,” said Dan Katz from Virgin Hyperloop One.

Katz was in Kansas City for the announcement. He added that the existing and relatively straight I-70 corridor is a big plus.

“It is really a common sense route. You’ve got a state with two very large cities and a university in between and a very straight, nice alignment," he said.

What is Hyperloop?

Virgin Hyperloop One officials said passengers would travel in a pod through a low pressure tube and could reach speeds of more than 600 mph.

Virgin Hyperloop One recently left the Kansas City to St. Louis route out of their top contenders worldwide but now they are taking another look.

“What we’ve seen in Missouri has just been incredible between the government, the business community, and the tech community coming together to say ‘Hey, we’re ready to make this a reality.’ It got our attention,” Katz said.

Engineering firm Black & Veatch, headquartered in Kansas City, will lead the study.

“We’re looking forward to bringing our experience from doing large projects all over the world to something right here in our back yard,” said David Leligdon of Black & Veatch.

One of the factors the study will focus on is estimating cost.

“There are certainly times when tunneling may make sense, so looking at the cost of tunneling,” Leligdon said.

“That the power consumption needs can be met, that you can actually fit the infrastructure along the highway in a safe way,” Katz added. “You also want to make sure that there’s going to be appropriate demand for the system, that people would use it.”

Katz said Virgin Hyperloop One is taking part in three feasibility studies this year in the U. S., as well as some others around the world.

The coalition said it hopes the seven- to nine-month study will be done around Thanksgiving 2018.

Katz said Virgin Hyperloop One could choose their top three routes as early as 2019.

The Missouri Hyperloop Coalition includes partnerships between Virgin Hyperloop One, Black & Veatch, the University of Missouri System, the Missouri Department of Transportation, St. Louis Regional Chamber, and the KC Tech Council.

reminder, missouri has horrendous roads

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
well, even that would be kind of dumb, because afaik nobody really needs to go between kansas city and st louis on a regular commuter-style basis

like musk dreams half this crap up because he wants nice private-y fast ways between Malibu and LA/SF

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
im pretty sure the last new passenger train service built in missouri is the little street-level tram in kansas city to take people from the parking garage at union station to the bars in the power and lights district a short distance away

and thats probably all it will ever be able to do

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
is it an amazon strip club?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
wtf are you doing on the internet?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I've purchased like 1 or 2 things on eBay and sold tons of stuff

thats my eBay story

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
thiel is such an rear end in a top hat and I think he would be a hilarious like daca-ice deportation case

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

my bitter bi rival posted:

lmao the first fuckin town you get into when you cross the bridge is fremont. :wtc:

fremont, livermore, pleasanton... truly the 21st century rust belt...

well when you live in SF/Malibu...

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
part of that rider is probably like some integrated auto-agreement NDA about the rider

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
woz is part of the era of bay area hippies that were kind of frustrated with the failures of their political projects and saw computers as some new one (whole earth catalog type stuff), and he seems to have a lot of the trusting optimism a lot of those guys had

woz is also probably the most successful one of those guys because he partnered with jobs, the other archetype of the bay area hippie -- the hyper-capitalist that kept the lifestyle bits of hippie-ism, who commercialized his product

it was fun to go to a reunion with a bunch of these guys and the modern techies and have them realize that a bunch of their heros, who they had never really looked into all that deeply, were actually mostly just burnt out hippies who's ideas never really went anywhere (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Xanadu for example), and not super capitalist min-maxing tech-lords like them

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
because people hate driving but they don't want to take transit because its not in a great state right now and they've been using and have had private transportation marketed to them their entire lives

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
because they've successfully marketed robotic cars as being in the tech company cluster and people tend to be optimistic and mystified by anything that can be placed there

or in the classic joke fashion:

1980s: don't ever get in a strangers car!
20XX: meet strangers on the internet and get in their cars!

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
of course it is -- its a problem thats been worked on for a long time that we likely still don't have all the understanding to solve reliably yet, but people like musk have already been leveraging it to sell cars so now everybody has to go along with it or be left out

also you have to remember people are idiot suburbanites with what I like to call Disneyland Syndrome: they just kind of assume safety and it doesn't take much to convince them

like they'll in simultaneously buy musks "we need autonomous cars because deaths~~~" but go hop in their car and feel completely safe and never want to do anything but drive themselves places

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
well yeah its hard to do when a chunk of the heavyweight competitors have cashed out

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
none of those things are problems you see, because I will just be renting a car, hailing it to take me to point a to point b with its automated magic

none of this is possible today you see and totally solves everything wrong with private cars

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
the part of all of this that I like is that there is indeed an opportunity for vastly increased safety, that we can implement right now, coming out of all of this when you strip away all the marketing fluff

like a lot of things that are sold as ~autonomous~ were being sold as safety systems previously or within the same time frame before this whole tend took off -- dynamic cruise control, automated brakes for pedestrians and cars, lane departure prevention and alerts, blind spot monitors

even if you are the most attentive driver you only have two eyes and ears as your sensors in an environment that can quickly overload you; augmenting this with a bunch of additional equipment can really help improve situational awareness and lower the cognitive load, helping people be safer drivers

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

the uber and autonomous should be combined and there should be twice as many cars because one needs to be a minute away constantly to pick someone up to maintain instant gratification

because people would rather sit through 2 hours of car traffic than a 35 minute train ride because they might have to wait 15 minutes at the platform and see people less fortunate than themselves

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
*person in grossly paid management position* look they're paid to do work, whats wrong with making sure they are doing what they're paid to?

*goes to 2.5 hour lunch*

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

My Linux Rig posted:

we could automate these warehouses and spend tons of money in r&d, manufacturing, deployment etc

OR we could put a device on our employees that turns them into robots!

*glados* now you're thinking with captialism

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

m8

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Krankenstyle posted:

i dont even understand how your traffic lights are so hosed up that you give them thought

its simple:
- look at the perpendicular light & you know when its your light in 5 4 3 2

*drives into left turning car*

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
when I was a kid my dad drove an old dasher wagon and I kind of missed that car when we got rid of it

I would totally buy an old thing or something if I had the time/space

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I love when they switch water sources in my area occasionally and it smells like I’m showering in a lake

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
thats why I drink borjomi :mmmsmug:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
my cities water isn’t even fluoridated:whatup:

also wasn’t fluoridated where I grew up

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

the 'hot springs' bubbling up into the pretty pools downtown in hot springs arkansas are like 93% gas-heated tap water and 7% actual thermal spring water, as is the lower federal bound for legally calling it a hot spring

isn't hot springs a national park?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
or even outside the context of uber, think about lots of places people gather and how many of the groups of people there all drove individually, even when some of them live in the same neighborhoods, because thats just how toxic our car culture is

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

quote:

But Paul, a lawyer who was sworn in as Cupertino’s mayor in December, is taking a more cautious approach. He says his residents worry that a massive influx of housing would increase traffic, make the city more congested, change the feel of local neighborhoods and lead to the overcrowding of Cupertino’s desirable schools.

:krakken:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
if you want a fun podcast on California housing

https://player.fm/series/left-coast-1528758/e029-hgtvs-housefuckers-la-zoning

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

ie soft water

and hard water can give you bladder stones kidney stones and gallstones

the health effects of hard and soft water are all statistical and probably outweighed by genetics and other aspects of diet anyway

but if you’re really worried about your water’s mineral levels i hear alex jones sells an excellent filter for your taps

there’s also a cult dude that will sell you stream water in glass orbs from Hawaii

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i kind of want that hierarchy chart to be some kind of cynical joke but who knows anymore :smith:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I didn’t see the launch but I overheard someone watching it and it sounded like a Super Bowl half time show production and nerds were eating it up

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
musk learned like thiel that the best grift of them all is the MIC

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
well yeah that might detract from the image that he’s running a fully functioning private space enterprise rather than an MIC leech building the fiery parts with former NASA personnel/contractors and facilities

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

ffs arguing with people who are like "musk is the first to do this!"

did you miss the last 70 years of history?

Yes they did

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Also NASA has been rated as the government org with the highest workplace satisfaction for a few years at least

http://bestplacestowork.org/BPTW/rankings/overall/large

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
suburbanization is a disease

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe