Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
a garbage museum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
can i get lsd delivered, preferably with prime shipping

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Dumb Lowtax posted:

The Stackexchange.com community continues to impress

https://interpersonal.stackexchange.com/questions/17187/attending-the-9-11-memorial-next-month-how-to-interact-with-families-that-lost

Attending the 9/11 Memorial next month - how to interact with families that lost loved ones?

A couple of us are planning to visit the 9/11 Memorial in New York next month; it would be our first time visiting the Memorial. I want to be careful to not treat the event as some adventurous visit and to keep in mind that people are going there for a day of mourning and remembrance. This might be easier said than done, since there is also a 9/11 museum there that we plan to visit too.

And another thing that makes matters a bit more complicated is that 9/11 occurred almost 17 years ago now. For example, we could still say things like

I'm sorry for the loss of your son

but don't know if is that unnecessary or even discouraged at this point in time, in the year 2018. We want to be cautious of what we are saying, in order to show respect to the families and not inadvertently offend them.

How can we interact with the families that lost loved ones on 9/11 without offending?

I have never been to a place of mourning before - not a funeral, nothing - so I'm very inexperienced in such environments.

Never forget :911:

its like a loving open park with hot dog vendors and a giant mall

pram
Jun 10, 2001

James Baud posted:

This made the rounds last week, from pro hockey player Phil Kessel's real estate listing - this may be more common than one thinks!

lonely at the top

pram
Jun 10, 2001
so you need a giant cable running across your living room floor. cool. nice

pram
Jun 10, 2001
split level houses are a pretty serious crime

pram
Jun 10, 2001
probably wouldnt want to live in a house that needs to be fed

pram
Jun 10, 2001

fishmech posted:

yeah also if the site was "hemorrhaging money" since 2005 how tf it still been around since then

aint like lowtax was wealthy by then he had the princely sum of like, a blogger salary plus a fancy chair

graduated high school in 2005, and now i own a chair that is undoubtedly fancier than any lowtax had :smug:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
wow epic balloon fail

pram
Jun 10, 2001
all you need to know is esc and :x! and :q!

pram
Jun 10, 2001

the whole thing is purestrain gold but hold on:

quote:

I was working on my latest small project -- a compiler for a special-purpose language I've designed called Scriptable Network Graphics, or SNG. SNG is an editable representation of the chunk data in a PNG. What I'm writing is a compiler/decompiler pair, so you can dump PNGs in SNG, edit the SNG, then recompile to a PNG image.

lmfao

pram
Jun 10, 2001
windows 95 had 'virtual memory' but i think it was only for the 32 bit portion of the system iirc. it still had DOS and all the same memory expectations for 16 bit stuff, same way it was in win 3

NT was as major a change as OSX was, it finally dumped DOS and all the cruft like real mode

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yeah sounds dangerous op. no thanks, ill stick to unfiltered djarum blacks

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Krankenstyle posted:

but if it's a simulation, why should the numbers be presumed truly random? aren't they just going where the simulator wants them to go?

this is 101 poo poo, cmon

pram
Jun 10, 2001

:discourse:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the prime card is extremely good

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
just sounds like they were talking to someone with terrible credit

pram
Jun 10, 2001
hiring managers typically cant see that stuff anyway so i doubt it

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its because all of the local amazon delivery stuff is vans and you dont need a CDL to drive them

pram
Jun 10, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

right but i thought those local couriers had DOT numbers and stuff because of commercial use? i know beyond a certain size you need a CDL to operate no matter what

those courier companies use vans that are under the required weight. those smaller fedex vans dont even require a CDL, thats why they buy those specific kinds of vehicles

pram
Jun 10, 2001
ill vape where i want, when i want

pram
Jun 10, 2001

pram
Jun 10, 2001
believing in magic is very woke :hmmyes:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
gas

pram
Jun 10, 2001
my favorite part about these check/train/nuclear power derailments is all the random eurogoons rolling up to talk about how things are done in their irrelevant country as if the discussion wasnt tedious enough

POLE GOON HERE, HERE IN POLAND OUR RAIL GAUGE IS A LITTLE WEIRD HAHA let me tell you all about it

pram
Jun 10, 2001
agreedo

pram
Jun 10, 2001
this is an american forum, we literally cant 'derail' threads

pram
Jun 10, 2001

mystes posted:

This thread is definitely more like a Tesla on Autopilot than a train in terms of its ability to stay in a straight line, but some times we do like to whip out our derailleurs for bike helmet arguments.

lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001

stirlo posted:

the foot-in-mouth-open-sores zealot has resigned from MIT..

folks, we got him

pram
Jun 10, 2001

El_Elegante posted:

salesforce gonna bring the horny back to tumblr

pram
Jun 10, 2001

not clicking because thumbnail is already unbearable

pram
Jun 10, 2001

so this whole thing is gonna implode in 3 months lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
not even adjustable? SAD

pram
Jun 10, 2001

FMguru posted:

"20 friends and family members" omg lmao

yikes

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Xaris posted:

so like, the much coveted FAANG stuff is generally like 120k-160k, and they are super rare and generally hire from the same inbred incestuous north-eastern elite stanford types and stuff.

its actually not very hard to get hired at AWS, the pay and benefits aren't that great, and i have no idea how it even made it into that dumb loving acronym lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
AWS will always lowball your base pay, give you RSUs instead, and convince you thats fine because amazon stock will continue climbing forever

pram
Jun 10, 2001
great job not reading the thread

pram
Jun 10, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

base pay cap at amazon is $160k supposedly

lol no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001