Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
First page bubble thread post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin

flakeloaf posted:

yow<=>ytz is not and porter only wants like, $30 more to make the same trip in an hour

granted, airport misery is way more miserable than trainport misery, but still

Lol look at this guy using three letter airport codes..

Trap sprung?

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Thread title contender

article here: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/31/apples-steve-wozniak-doesnt-believe-anything-elon-musk-or-tesla-say.html

quote:

Billionaire tech entrepreneur Elon Musk has a lot of fans. But he's lost the trust of one famous former admirer: Steve Wozniak.

Apple co-founder Wozniak, affectionately referred to as "the Woz," told an audience at the Nordic Business Forum in Sweden on January 24 he has stopped believing what Musk or Tesla promises.

"Now, I don't believe anything Elon Musk or Tesla says," Wozniak says.

That doesn't mean he doesn't love his Tesla, though.

"But I still love the car, it's still beautiful," Wozniak added.

Wozniak cited several promises Tesla has made that he believes have not been kept.

"They came out with some sensors that Elon Musk said would [allow the car to] drive itself across the country to where you were by the end of 2016 ... Oh, I had to have that!" he says.

"[T]hen they discovered those sensors would never drive across the country, so they got rid of their sensor company. They put in new sensors — instead of one camera, eight cameras — and that one will drive itself across the country by 2017. I believed that stuff," says Wozniak.

Indeed, in October of 2016, Musk announced a significant upgrade to the hardware for self-driving capability.

In addition, Wozniak criticized the quality of the autopilot feature, saying it was incapable of responding to inconsistencies in the road and that the car still requires significant attention on the part of the driver.
Man you have got to be ready — it makes mistakes, it loses track of the lane lines. You have to be on your toes all the time," says Wozniak. "All Tesla did is say, 'It is beta so we are not responsible. It doesn't necessarily work, so you have to be in control.'

"Well you that is kinda a cheap way out of it."

Tesla had not responded to CNBC Make It by the time this story was published, but in 2016, when Tesla announced the upgraded autopilot technology, Musk said calling the system "autopilot" even though it requires some monitoring is fair because, "It does not represent self-driving anymore than autopilot in an aircraft makes it self-flying."

"I will tell you, that car does so little," says Wozniak. "Everything I read told me every other car manufacturer in the world — the Audi's the BMW and all — were actually ahead of Tesla for self driving cars." Instead, other car companies are ahead of Tesla when it comes to self-driving, according to Wozniak.

In December, Musk asked Tesla drivers for feedback, and in the course of the exchange, he said the second version of autopilot is "going through exhaustive testing" and apologized for the delay.

Sorry for the delay. We have the most advanced AI neural net of any consumer product by far, so it's going through exhaustive testing. The results are blowing me away though and I think you will have a similar experience.
The eventual update, when it comes, may be too little too late for Musk to win back The Woz. Wozniak says he already prefers the Chevy Volt with one exception: Long drives. Tesla has more battery charging stations, he says, making such journeys in the Chevy Volt challenging.

"We always drive the Chevy Volt EV instead of the Tesla every day," says Wozniak, "except for long road trips."

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PyPy fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 1, 2018

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
According to AN INTERNET SEARCH, the other human that has my name is getting married later this year.

Feels bad man.

e: I just RSVP for their wedding on their wedding page.

PyPy fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 11, 2018

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin

I named the bride as my +1 :getin:

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin

haveblue posted:

why on earth did you paste all that it’s not even paywalled

I appreciate the effort. I don't like leaving the green (or amber) glow of yospos.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
TIL: 2 MIT grads built an algorithm that uses a 7 question quiz to pair people with wine they'll like. It has questions like "what's your favorite chocolate".

I see this too often.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
shocking.....

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/19/uber-self-driving-car-fatality-halts-testing-in-all-cities-report-says.html

e: late af

PyPy fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 19, 2018

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
I read the Wu article and I must have missed the bad part? It revealed she was married, which is her private life, but she was making a big deal about how they discussed her sexuality? I don't know...whatever.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the best part is that she only wants to conceal her husband/paramour to defend herself from even more poo poo flung by internet monkeys

if she were a man with a spouse who shared her interest in hobbyist electronics it would be fun and cool, but as a woman, people just want to ascribe her projects to a man offscreen

Oh, I see. Yeah this last part I get, but the article was clearly framing it as being false internet gossip.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
The internet makes fools of us all.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
if youtube didn't have so many WHITE MALES then they wouldnt be dealing with active shooters

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

in my geometric design of highways class they showed us the test footage from the 60s - 70s when they were figuring out all that stuff

the worst one was the schoolbus impacting a concrete barrier and throwing the sandbags representing children through the windows

your schoolin' and your jobin' sound extremely badass.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin

Sagebrush posted:

thank you for the inspiration

I love this so much. Thank you.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin

Sagebrush posted:

thank you for the inspiration

I love this so much. Thank you.

e: unintentional, but deserved, double post

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin

Microcline posted:

jacking off is the ultimate act of biohacking

I know we have a fresh new thread title, but drat

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin

Uptime Sinclair posted:

nando's has a garlic peri peri sauce they put out that I've enjoyed

also: posting on the page that's the color of some people's yospos energy

311's problem is they keep making music. Go away and let us remember you fondly.

PyPy fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 12, 2018

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
What the gently caress

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Hell yeah

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Rule36

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin

i enjoyed this very much
:420:

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
bits world

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin

ComradeCosmobot posted:

meanwhile in tubes news

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1015657378140704768

lol thai kids are gonna die

I'm :toxx: for at least one kid death in this, and now I'm considering upping the ante.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Despite my toxx, it would be extremely cool if they rescued all the victims and I will be happy to pay :10bux:

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Gonna watch The Descent today in honor of the cave children.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Will we get a new bubble thread for the burst? I mean, if this is it...if it's really happening...The great bot purges of 2018, intel announced delays, the contractor economy, and TARIFFS!....it could finally be happening.

:yeshaha:

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin

Sagebrush posted:

So uh Elon Musk s mom is in makeup ads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNtt4aZWkF0

It's Mom from Futurama.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin

I read this yesterday and it made me mad about computers.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Techbubble: an adults in cars anime vibe

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin

as a white man I am conflicted

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin

Suspicious Dish posted:

as a white man I think white men are terrible

Hence the conflict.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
I loving hate twitter

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Everytime I see or hear Les Moonves' name, I think of moonvest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPP8DJPbBkw

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin

jit bull transpile posted:

It is disturbing to me that we're rapidly approaching a point where people seem almost incapable of referring to this site as anything other than "dead gay forum". Like, people's brains have literally been reprogrammed via meme and people are totally incapable of just saying "forum".

Do you even laugh when you see they phrase? If we posit that at some point it was a cutting edge joke, is it still? Why this ritual? Why the need to eternally cling to this one last method of calling something gay? Long after every other old forums meme is dead, this one lives in. Why is that?

This has been your woke moment for the day.

Thank

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Just leave it alone. If it fades out of use, then good. No need to seriouspost about something that really has no impact on anything.

inb4 dsyp

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Is hate speech wrong regardless of who it targets? If not, why? Asking for a friend.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
I hate myself plenty. I'm just asking in general, not a specific situation.

Rephrase: When is it okay to use hate speech?

PyPy fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 3, 2018

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Hmm. Personally I'm not comfortable using hate speech about something a person has no control over. You can hate someone for being a terrible person and doing terrible things, but not because of their sexuality, race, mental faculties, etc. Like I'm okay saying Elon Musk is a shitbag, but not saying all persons with X skin color are shitbags.

PyPy fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 3, 2018

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
I have no cause.....does that make me the shitbag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin

Trabisnikof posted:

stop making fun of turmp for being stupid guys he cant help it

Hmm. Good counterpoint lol. He's a idiot.