Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

don't worry though, waymo has it all solved:

quote:

...the company's plan is for the driving technology to be so good that customers never need to take over the wheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the company's plan is for magic to exist

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

part of what bothers me in this image, is it's so meticulously aligned properly, and it's not like the programmer isn't using subVIs you can see a few, it's just so densely packed

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i thought the companies plan was to always shift control back to the driver at the moment of impact to shift liability back to them

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

infernal machines posted:

the company's plan is for magic to exist

tighten up the driving on interstate 3

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

"We just call it 'Autopilot'. It's just a marketing term. That doesn't mean it's an actual, you know, autopilot or anything.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yes, it is an autopilot. a pilot for your auto. any similarity to the word "automatic" is purely coincidental, your honor

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

haveblue posted:

yes, it is an autopilot. a pilot for your auto. any similarity to the word "automatic" is purely coincidental, your honor

"the pedestrian. the"

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

no, driving required!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
uh just because it says “CANCER CURE” on the bottle doesn’t mean it cures cancer; it’s actually bleach.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

"We just call it 'Autopilot'. It's just a marketing term. That doesn't mean it's an actual, you know, autopilot or anything.

"autopilots just hold a heading, airspeed or rate of climb/descent, therefore"

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

ADINSX posted:

no, driving required!

lol. there we go.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

ADINSX posted:

no, driving required!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
"your honor, the word automobile means 'self-driving', 'auto' in Latin, 'mobile' in French. therefore, couldn't any supposed 'auto mobile' be marketed as

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
"actually this self driving is entertainment and thus not required to be real"

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

look, if we were going to have to label things based on how the public understands them instead of what they actually mean we'd start labeling refillable propane tanks as flammable

wait, we do?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

President Beep posted:

"the pedestrian. the"

eagerly awaiting this argument from a volkswagen exec

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

"autopilots just hold a heading, airspeed or rate of climb/descent, therefore"

haven't autopilots been able to navigate between waypoints and autoland for like, decades at this point

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

obligatory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kHa3WNerjU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ate all the Oreos posted:

haven't autopilots been able to navigate between waypoints and autoland for like, decades at this point

yes, but airspace is also 100% free of obstacles (other than the occasional unfortunate bird) and very tightly managed by professionals who communicate with each other and all the planes

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

haveblue posted:

yes, but airspace is also 100% free of obstacles (other than the occasional unfortunate bird) and very tightly managed by professionals who communicate with each other and all the planes

yeah my point isn't "planes can do it, why not cars!!!" but rather "using the excuse that autopilot can't auto-fly the plane hasn't worked for like 20 years"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ate all the Oreos posted:

sort of, its preprogrammed groups of those commands though. and autoland is following a straight line given by a radio signal

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

ADINSX posted:

no, driving required!

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

ADINSX posted:

no, driving required!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/joeyalison/status/981735719134674949

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

as a side note, in that article the first pic shows what a functional safety barrier does. i remember seeing some documentary on the evolution of those, poo poo was loving fascinating. they went from "let's build them so strong that it'll cleave a car (and it's occupants) in half" to "let's redirect/absorb as much force as possible"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

as a side note, in that article the first pic shows what a functional safety barrier does. i remember seeing some documentary on the evolution of those, poo poo was loving fascinating. they went from "let's build them so strong that it'll cleave a car (and it's occupants) in half" to "let's redirect/absorb as much force as possible"

in my geometric design of highways class they showed us the test footage from the 60s - 70s when they were figuring out all that stuff

the worst one was the schoolbus impacting a concrete barrier and throwing the sandbags representing children through the windows

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
plane autopilots will happily fly you straight into a mountain or other object as set elevation is from sea level not actual height and i think this fact is a large part of tesla's defense of the word 'autopilot'

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

in my geometric design of highways class they showed us the test footage from the 60s - 70s when they were figuring out all that stuff

the worst one was the schoolbus impacting a concrete barrier and throwing the sandbags representing children through the windows

your schoolin' and your jobin' sound extremely badass.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bhodi posted:

plane autopilots will happily fly you straight into a mountain or other object as set elevation is from sea level not actual height and i think this fact is a large part of tesla's defense of the word 'autopilot'

:eng101: many modern aircraft have radar altimeters that will usually keep you above the terrain as long as it's a slope that doesn't rise faster than your plane can climb (you will still hit cliffs, skyscrapers, etc)

however yeah the most common implementation of autopilot is just a servomechanism connecting the elevator to the altimeter so

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bhodi posted:

they're being incredibly true-to-form with it

aircraft autopilots are at their core cruise control and heading-keeping with maybe way-point follow now?

tesla's autopilot is dynamic cruise control with lane keeping wired into google maps

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

:eng101: many modern aircraft have radar altimeters that will usually keep you above the terrain as long as it's a slope that doesn't rise faster than your plane can climb (you will still hit cliffs, skyscrapers, etc)

however yeah the most common implementation of autopilot is just a servomechanism connecting the elevator to the altimeter so
Do small single-engine prop craft have radar altimeters now? fancy!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bhodi posted:

Do small single-engine prop craft have radar altimeters now? fancy!

no but the new ones come with garmin nav systems that know where you are by gps and have height maps for the entire planet

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

no but the new ones come with garmin nav systems that know where you are by gps and have height maps for the entire planet

boo. not interested unless i can fly near highways and mess with cops trying to pull over speeders

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

ADINSX posted:

no, driving required!

new thread title please

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My flight instructor says he likes to line up over the freeway and fly as low and slow as possible and watch everyone's brake lights come on as they realize what is meant by "speed checked by aircraft"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

My flight instructor says he likes to line up over the freeway and fly as low and slow as possible and watch everyone's brake lights come on as they realize what is meant by "speed checked by aircraft"

I usually squeeze a couple of rounds off towards any jokers that try that poo poo. I have a radar detector, you buzz me and it doesnt beep, im poppin off

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

back when my father-in-law was learning how to fly the old codger that was teaching him once had him apply a shitload of rudder on level flight to introduce yaw. FIL didnt understand why he had him do that until he looks over and sees the guy pissing out of the side of the plane.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

ADINSX posted:

no, driving required!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

President Beep posted:

back when my father-in-law was learning how to fly the old codger that was teaching him once had him apply a shitload of rudder on level flight to introduce yaw. FIL didnt understand why he had him do that until he looks over and sees the guy pissing out of the side of the plane.

a true forward thinker in the school of look out here comes my piss lol