Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Section Z posted:

OG X-Com one of the first things you can research is infinite ammo no reloads needed laser weaponry, and even the laser pistol has full auto :v: If I remember right OG Sectopods were weak to lasers and resistant to plasma just to make that extra special.

Though the convenient bits of oldschool gaming are often thrown under the bus because "My firing line of infinite ammo poo poo stat squaddies made a sectoid commander panic and hide in a closet, then I send in another rookie to beat him unconscious with a cattle prod. Well, a terror mission is up, time to actually let my soldiers use the plasma guns!" doesn't make you sound like you are recreating the hardest tactical game of all time.

Nothing will top when I beat the game by accident though. A dude got mind control steered into the boss brain room, didn't die, and took it out when they were driven berserk. Good job guys, we cleared a path so the boss could commit an elaborate suicide. The game is still a real ballbuster, but the parts that always stood out to me more were things like watching my horrible failure squads pick up the slack for when my A Team good poo poo didn't pull it's weight.

Yeah, old X-Com had a lot of mechanics to make things less inconvenient that people don't talk about as much when trying to make a game "old school". And sometimes mechanics that sucked made for good stories.

Like, one time in a run, I bought a top of the line tank moved it to my unlucky second base to let the troops build some experience, felt pretty good... and then it exploded the second it rolled off the ramp to the first enemy that saw it. Great for talking about later, but the kind of thing that you would want to catch in testing since losing a massive investment with no way to prevent it is kind of lovely for the player's ability to make informed choices.

(I mean, I can't complain, since that same run my first soldier in the roster was a legitimate immortal, but still. I'd been expecting a lot from that hovertank, you know?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

This is a good post I agree with but it's also really funny because you didn't describe any xcom games, you described the xenonauts tech progression. XCOMs all top out at T3 :v:

I mean, there's the plasma sniper and the Alloy Cannon in Enemy Unknown, the toxigun in Apocalypse, the fusion missiles, the Blaster Launcher in Enemy Unknown, the power armor in the original...

Even the psi-amp, while it mimics alien abilities, is human technology, allowing you to outperform the aliens at their own game.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

Wasn't power armor just reverse engineered from Muton gear?

Nope.

You can build it in the original without ever meeting a Muton, and unlike Mutons, it's fireproof.