Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Over the years I'd seen the opening shot a bunch of times and watched maybe the first 20 minutes or so a few times. I finally watched the whole thing and I can't believe how different the overall movie is from what I expected.

I don't even know where to begin. I guess I just thought it was gonna be a predictable film about a disco dance contest with a few dance numbers but the dancing in the movie is a brief reprieve from the main story filled with abusive relationships, gang vioence, rape, drugs, and tobacco-stained teeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tommy Rawhead
Dec 18, 2006

You'll get what you deserve in them Deep Barons, you lez-beans! You won't be causin' no one, no trouble, no more!
It's about a working class family in Brooklyn in the '70s. What else would you expect?

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
What was the deal with the subplot about the brother not wanting to be a priest? It didn't go anywhere whatsoever.

Tommy Rawhead
Dec 18, 2006

You'll get what you deserve in them Deep Barons, you lez-beans! You won't be causin' no one, no trouble, no more!

Tommy Rawhead posted:

It's about a working class family in Brooklyn in the '70s. What else would you expect?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
It's a really good movie with an amazing soundtrack.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Saturday Night Fever is a good example of how a sequel can actually retroactively make the original worse, because it infects people's minds. The image that most people have of what Saturday Night Fever will be is usually very close to what Staying Alive actually is.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Staying Alive is so so bad. But it does have the greatest ending ever.

“What are ya gonna do now?”

“I’m gonna strut.”

And he does just that.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Anonymous John posted:

What was the deal with the subplot about the brother not wanting to be a priest? It didn't go anywhere whatsoever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Americans

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Would ya just watch the hair? Y'know, I work on my hair a long time and you hit it. He hits my hair.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
What's amazing about this is that the PG edit of the movie was just as popular and got a lot of play. It's likely where the image of it being a silly little disco movie came from. It's 10 minutes shorter, removes all of the swearing, fighting, any hints of nudity and the rape scene.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oh look, it's the first sighting of Slenderman

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
That rape scene was brutal, and it made the ending really hard to watch.

DrVenkman posted:

What's amazing about this is that the PG edit of the movie was just as popular and got a lot of play. It's likely where the image of it being a silly little disco movie came from. It's 10 minutes shorter, removes all of the swearing, fighting, any hints of nudity and the rape scene.

I never saw anything from this film before watching it, so I just assumed it'd be Travolta strutting down the dancefloor to the Bee-Gees. Boy, was not expecting any of that.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
It's one of those things where the harmless poppyness of disco is what's carried on in the popular consciousness, as opposed to the actual draw of disco, which was basically yellow journalism about this sexually frivolous, coke-fueled nightlife. Saturday Night Fever is a 'youth in revolt' film, like Blackboard Jungle.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I watched Saturday Night Fever, but I don't remember anything about it. I just remember being really shocked that the disco movie was way darker than I was expecting.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Have the New York magazine article that inspired the film, Nik Cohn's (self-admittedly fabricated) "Tribal Rites of the New Saturday Night." http://nymag.com/nightlife/features/45933/

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

K. Waste posted:

Have the New York magazine article that inspired the film, Nik Cohn's (self-admittedly fabricated) "Tribal Rites of the New Saturday Night." http://nymag.com/nightlife/features/45933/

quote:

Italians were Italian, Latins were greaseballs, Jews were different, and blacks were born to lose. Each group had its own ideal, its own style of Face. But they never touched. If one member erred, ventured beyond his own allotted territory, he was beaten up. That was the law. There was no alternative.

Then there were girls. But they were not Faces, not truly. Sometimes, if a girl got lucky, a Face might choose her from the crowd and raise her to be his steady, whom he might one day even marry. But that was rare. In general, the female function was simply to be available. To decorate the doorways and booths, to fill up the dance floor. Speak when spoken to, put out as required, and then go away. In short, to obey, and not to fuss.

Kind of sums up the feel of the movie.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

It's like when people see Rocky for the first time expecting Rocky IV but instead they get crippling poverty and depression.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It's like when people watch Ghostbusters and aren't too blinkered by nostalgia to look past the awful, awful sexism

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Vegetable posted:

It's like when people watch Ghostbusters and aren't too blinkered by nostalgia to look past the awful, awful sexism

What?

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

K. Waste posted:

Cohn has in fact barely been to Brooklyn and based the characters on figures he knew back in the UK.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/jun/26/lie-heart-disco-nik-cohn-tribal-rites-saturday-night-fever

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TrixRabbi posted:

It's like when people see Rocky for the first time expecting Rocky IV but instead they get crippling poverty and depression.

Or Rambo after its sequels.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

The late 70s and early 80s produced a bunch of movies about working class misery. Then the sequels took out all that misery, kept the surface aesthetics, but made them either thematically empty, blandly inspirational or jingoistically patriotic. There are probably some cultural implications or forces at play beyond just the movies.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Well, the social climate changed dramatically and those vacuous 80s (and 90s) sequels fit the era in which they were made quite well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Moon Atari posted:

The late 70s and early 80s produced a bunch of movies about working class misery. Then the sequels took out all that misery, kept the surface aesthetics, but made them either thematically empty, blandly inspirational or jingoistically patriotic. There are probably some cultural implications or forces at play beyond just the movies.

It's kind of crazy to watch SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER and then STAYING ALIVE and seeing how hugely opposed they are. You could just name Travolta's character in the sequel John Smith and it would make no difference at all

• Locked thread