Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

glam rock hamhock posted:

There's letting the audience fill in the blanks and there's having a a movie take place specifically in 2008 with a month between thing crashing into the ocean and the actual attack and another movie trying to line up despite taking place in the near future and having the monster attack immediately after things go wrong in space

I mentioned, in the quote you quoted, about how doing 20XX in your movies is dumb. So it said 2008, guess what, it seems that in 2008 had some poo poo going on that the folks we followed didn't know or film.

The entirety of what we know in the first movie is that something falls into the ocean, and New York gets wrecked a bit later. Deciding to insert Mama Clover somewhere doesn't conflict with poo poo, and any details where it does can be chalked up to "they didn't know in 2008 there'd be a 2018 film that expands on it". Sure, it's a retcon, but whatever. poo poo like that happens all the time, you reframe the Old Stuff into the New Stuff.

these movies simply do not line up even with "well you can't say that wasn't happening".

"You can't say that it wasn't happening" is precisely all you need, though. Cloverfield's cone of story from start to end is super thin. You can add anything in there. poo poo, that's what the drat ARG for the first movie did. And a manga sequel, I think.

E: vvv got no answers there, but there was a line where the captain guy said something like "This world is going to eat us alive", or something. Best guess, realities don't like interacting on an almost immune-system/infection degree.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Feb 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

CelticPredator posted:

I like how the weirdest thing happens in the film and then nothing happens after that. It’s very strange. It Peaks at the arm.

What about the putty coming to life and grabbing Mundy?

All these space station-y movies are beginning to look all the same- Gravity, Life, Interstellar, now this movie.. yeah this movie has all the earmarks of a chaotically thrown together mess, albeit somewhat entertaining. I agree with the folks who said this should have gone more Event Horizon, it'd help explain why a stupid giant monster was basically yelling for the kids to get off his lawn at the very end of the movie. Paramount must have realized any money spent trying to do publicity for this messy movie would've been money flushed down the drain so they quickly sold it off to Netflix, who must have drooled at getting a movie someone else spent $40 million on.

Was the kid supposed to have been slipstreamed from another dimension?

Were the monster(s) (the husband yelling at the NASA guy telling him to tell his wife not to come back implied there were multiple monsters) supposed to have been brought there because of the Shepard, or did the dimension ruffling wake them up?

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Feb 5, 2018

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I guess my point is you're being very easily impressed by really half assed writing.

Like it's impressive to me that there is literally like two plot points this needed to line up with and it fails to do that. Yes it can be unrelated and barely connected but you're specifically praising it for how well it connected things.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

I guess my point is you're being very easily impressed by really half assed writing.

It's a trilogy about giant monsters, alien invasions, and how space/time warping. If you're bringing up writing quality, the Bulk and Skull theme starts playing as you speak.

Yes it can be unrelated and barely connected but you're specifically praising it for how well it connected things.

I would encourage you to reread what I said. I praised that they connected the two, and that such a connection was a brilliant thing to do. Because, like I said, connecting your movie with a movie I like is going to make me like your movie more.

I never praised how well or seamlessly they did it. Why would anyone get all grumpy over how seamless it was or wasn't (since it's the Cloverfield franchise,, of all things) when one could just let yourself be happy seeing Mama Clover?

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Feb 5, 2018

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Wasn't there a line in the film about the particle collider thing loving with things in the future and the past as well in addition to merging dimensions?

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
This movie was a loving awful piece of trash. Please dont try to bend yourself over backward trying to figure it out. If the last scene of the movie didnt clue you into how profoundly up its rear end this is , please rewatch it.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

So I think there's 4 different timelines so far.

-Cloverfield (2008 timeline): baby Clover gets dumped in New York alongside a piece of the space station

-10 Cloverfield Lane (2016 timeline) aliens? No apparent relation to the other 2 films

The Cloverfield Paradox (20XX-A 20XX-B timelines) Shepard experiment creates dimensional fuckery. Mama Clover is either pulled into 20XX-A from somewhere else or is awoken there. 20XX-B dissolves into World War 3, may be saved by Hamilton releasing data on successful firing of Shepard Accelerator.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

The cloverfield aliens were planted thousands of years ago according to arg trash.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

After a wobbly start, about 50 minutes in I was thinking, " yeah this story could go some cool places", but at the end I was like, "booooo!"

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Agreeing with whats been already said.

Needed more arm. More Horror. Waaaay less generic action poo poo.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think the part of the argument where the person telling me the movie is good insists I'm dumb for expecting competent writing is where I just hold up my hands and walk away.

also no I was not particularly charmed by "mama clover" and frankly the idea that the original monster was just a baby looking for it's mom is so trite and overused that it would make the original movie less good

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s been a thing since it came out.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Judging by how cheap looking the actual Cloverfield related bits look (and the fact that nobody in the more expensive looking space movie actually mentions the word Cloverfield when talking about the station or the paradox) I am going to guess that after JJ Abrahams got his hands on God Particle he had those bits shot.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yes.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Here's the synopsis of the 4th film:

quote:

In 1944, two American paratroopers are shot down over Normandy in the midst of the D-Day invasion and they discover that the Nazis are using supernatural forces against them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overlord_(2018_film)

My rear end will be there on day one.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

viral spiral posted:

Wasn't there a line in the film about the particle collider thing loving with things in the future and the past as well in addition to merging dimensions?

Wacky professor said:

"This experiment could produce chaos. The likes of which we've never seen. Monsters, demons, beasts from the sea..

".. And not just in the here and now, in the past, in the future, in other dimensions.. you have no idea how much I would love to be wrong about this.."

If the next movie takes place in WWII as is rumored, that sounds like some super '50's EC/DC comic book poo poo.. battleships aiming all their turrets at monsters swatting planes out of the sky and stuff..

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

“And the cloverfield monster jumped out of the ocean during the bombing of london and it was caused by that pesky higgs boson and walter from lebowski. “

In this thriller JJ Abrams challenges the audience to imagine what could happen to a movie script that is best defined by quantum entanglement.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I want a Cloverfield monster biopic.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

I want a Cloverfield monster biopic.

I really liked the sequel idea they originally had of having a bunch of different folks documenting the same event from different perspectives. Sure, it would've probably been boring after another "Hey this dude filmed it too", but whatever.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Awww dangit! You done made cloverfields all over the dang multiverse again!

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I like the idea of a cinematic universe that exists solely to repackage interesting scripts that would never get made otherwise into a semi-coherent canon. Give me a quirky romantic comedy that ends with a 3 second shot of a giant monster on a tv screen.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lester Shy posted:

Give me a quirky romantic comedy that ends with a 3 second shot of a giant monster on a tv screen.
That’s the original Cloverfield!!!

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Transformers caused the cloverfield.

Caros
May 14, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

I really liked the sequel idea they originally had of having a bunch of different folks documenting the same event from different perspectives. Sure, it would've probably been boring after another "Hey this dude filmed it too", but whatever.

It really would have been so easy. Give a military perspective for the second film, drop a bit more exposition through comm chatter and eavesdropped briefings. I'm not even saying it would have necessarily be good, just better than "We filmed this movie with John Goodman and put a spaceship at the end. Also Higgs Boson or some poo poo."

Just such a strange business strategy when you have a license to print money.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Is there any connection to 10 Cloverfield Lane in this one at all? The summary has a reference to a "underground bunker owned by a friend" but it doesn't overtly say if it's related.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Is there any connection to 10 Cloverfield Lane in this one at all?

Nope.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

John Goodman emerges from clouds at the end.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Tace Vim posted:

at the end I was like, "booooo!"

Same. Take my thumbs down, netflix!

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Feb 5, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Great. Now I'm sick of outer space movies.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What’re the aims of this series?
If they don’t flesh out each other or anything what’s the point of the “universe”?
Sorry if this is a silly question.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bape Culture posted:

If they don’t flesh out each other or anything what’s the point of the “universe”?

Outside of the first one, to give smaller budget movies a chance by rebranding them.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Definitely the most light hearted of the three.

It was weird that the movie always makes a big deal of showing off the weird liquid metal constuction tool they have, but it doesn’t seem to matter at all to the story.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Bape Culture posted:

Is something being developed at Bad Robot that isn't Star Trek or a JJ directed project? Yes.
Some weeks into production, does it seem likely to get a decent opening weekend? Not really.
It's becoming a Cloverfield movie.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Bape Culture posted:

I was thinking the same thing. This movie wasn't bad per se but it's the epitome of half baked.

Actually half baked is probably overselling it. It's like if you took a cool space movie pizza out of the freezer and left it on the counter for 12 hours before serving it to your family.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Feb 5, 2018

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Cant wait for "Cloverfield of the Lambs" whers Hannibal hangs up the phone in some Caribbean city and then a giant monster or aliens atack.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
this movie is hot garbage. its not even an interesting failure after the first 45 mins or so

e: Is there really anyone who can say that, if you filed off the lumpy Cloverfield references, this isn't a lovely rehash of Event Horizon?

Unoriginal Name fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Feb 5, 2018

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

If the next movie takes place in WWII as is rumored, that sounds like some super '50's EC/DC comic book poo poo.. battleships aiming all their turrets at monsters swatting planes out of the sky and stuff..

We won't be getting that, instead it'll be a generic war movie until the last 5 minutes when they cram something in.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

CODChimera posted:

We won't be getting that, instead it'll be a generic war movie until the last 5 seconds when they cram something in.

They’ll get stomped by Clover at the very end and that’ll be that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I kinda hate the fact that Abrams has to package an anthology series this way to satisfy obsessive nerds instead of just being free to make all different kinds unconnected stories under the Cloverfield name. It almost seems like he was trying to establish that idea with 10 Cloverfield Lane and people still bent over backwards to try to connect it to the monster from the original so now he was just like "gently caress it, lets give them a quick origin story movie so we can move on to what we really wanna do."

Serling did a quick 15 second intro that explained that you're entering the Twilight Zone, bam job done no need to spend millions on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I still want a mockumentary about the Cloverfield attack done in the style of those 9/11 ten years later things that were popping up in 2011 on the History channel.

• Locked thread