Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
What's best for our society is eonomically productive immigrants, but also their support structures around them including extended family members.

If we're going to integrate people into our communities and into our society, it's going to work a gently caress of a lot better when they have a stable and comfortable family life, with support systems in place, rather than hoping a bunch of single people with strong connections to another country decide that they don't like their family anymore and want to become fully American.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Absurd Alhazred posted:

But sometimes it might work out, you visit a friend and realize you want to live in that area - if it works with that friend (say they're looking for a roomate anyway), you can talk to the landlord about getting in on the lease; if you don't, then you find another apartment there. Your friend could ask you to leave his specific house and maybe will remove you by force if you insist, but you won't get deported back to Michigan or barred from that area.

Yes, and that point you can go through the process of getting on the lease or whatever.

As far as I can tell, OOCC is only arguing that there should be multiple different processes for migration depending on what the end goal is, not that once you've picked one, you can never change if your circumstances change.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Lib and let die posted:

Wait, we have surplus vaccines to give?

Yes you've been sitting on millions of Oxford/AZ doses while the FDA makes up their mind if it's okay. Canada and Mexico have approved that vaccine, it makes no sense to let the stockpiles sit around when they could be saving lives as we speak.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

It will never happen but the US, Canada, Mexico should do some sort of Eurozone lite. But racists love their borders and burdens so.

You could absolutely get racists on board with this if you sold it properly. The new hotness is blaming Central American migrants coming through Mexico, not Mexicans themselves.

It doesn't actually solve any of the problems, since the root cause relates to the factors that drive migration in the first place, but it would be convenient for well-to-do people in all three countries, for sure!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Even if the temperature up there warms up, you can't farm in those places at nearly the same scale because the soil is simply not suitable.

Also the lack of daylight in winter.