Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drutten
Mar 30, 2011
Mitsuboshi Colors is a lot like Non Non Biyori, which isn't surprising since they're by the same studio (SilverLink).

The main difference is that NNB is way out in the country and really savors its slow pace while Colors is a little bit faster as it takes place in a quiet Tokyo neighborhood, where three elementary school girls fight to protect the town by solving emergencies such as "there's a cat that looks like a panda!", how to get rid of leftover bananas, and check to see if the elephants at the zoo are starving. They also ruminate on important existential questions like "if you've already seen a dragon, why would you want to see a baldy?"

Like NNB, this also feels very realistic (for an anime), with grounded characters and kids that act and talk like kids. It's a SoL comedy, so there's no story arc as such: We just follow the Colors as they play around and sometimes remember they're supposed to be detectives. Nice and gentle through and through, and occasionally really funny! One of my favorites this season.

Yui. The leader. Good girl.

Kotoha. The brains. Gamer.

Sacchan. The brawn. Philosopher.

Goddamn Saito. Source of all evil. Normal beat cop to most, but the Colors know he's a lazy bum with the face of a liar. Gruff demeanor but often willing to play along and be the villain.

Pops. Purveyor of hipster paraphernalia and the very latest in urban self defense.

Nonoko. Unconventional baker with an ogre problem.

Streams on Hidive at least. New episodes on Sundays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drutten
Mar 30, 2011
Favourite moment thus far: Kotoha has some worrying tendencies...

Another is the Colors' rising scale of mission difficulty: Level 1: Murder; Level 2: There's a dog loose in the school; Level 3: Sacchan's mom has constipation.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
This show is pretty good because the kids are actually little shitheads. Like real kids.

Drutten
Mar 30, 2011
Yeah, they're very realistic characters in that way -- and the voices are great, kid-like without being squeaky.

I like how Yui, the girly one, really is on the same wavelength as other two even when they come up with a plan like "get another weapon from Pops to shoot Saito with".

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I tried to hate this show but was unsuccessful. Welp that's my trip report.

unko

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I dropped the manga because I felt the kids were too lovely and their antics didn't outweigh it. I'm glad to have had my opinion changed by the anime.

I still would've preferred a Hitoribocchi series though.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Oh, I said I'd make a thread for this at some point and forgot...

RIP Hipster Pops.

edit: Aww, Yui gets cut off during the post credits.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 8, 2018

Drutten
Mar 30, 2011
Okay, so Yui upgraded with the Leadership Mustache of Dignity and dropping harsh truths was pretty great. RIP Kotoha's soul, though.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The Devastation of Kotoha.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

This episode was so badly animated, but the cast are charming enough to make up for it. And Yui's annihilation of Kotoha was one of the best moments of the series.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i wish the animation, art and backgrounds in this show weren't so awful

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Davincie posted:

i wish the animation, art and backgrounds in this show weren't so awful

That's almost the entire show! I was planning on watching this because it looks cute, but if 75% of the show's production is bad, am I better off just reading the manga?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I'm enjoying it. Comedies generally don't need great art and animation and it seems good enough.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
After several episodes of Pop Team Epic and Turning Girls, animation quality isn't really a problem. Umaru R is getting weekly releases it appears so I'm getting some more value out of it.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

That's almost the entire show! I was planning on watching this because it looks cute, but if 75% of the show's production is bad, am I better off just reading the manga?

I'd say the anime is better just because hearing the jokes adds a lot to the experience. Sindai is right that the bad animation doesn't really take that much away from what the show is really about.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
The festival episode was a slideshow but otherwise it’s been a fun watch even with the struggling production.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Drutten posted:

Okay, so Yui upgraded with the Leadership Mustache of Dignity and dropping harsh truths was pretty great. RIP Kotoha's soul, though.

This remains my favorite joke they've done in the manga too. Cuts right to the bone...

Drutten
Mar 30, 2011
And to continue on that theme, this was Yui's episode from start to finish, starting with her justly punishing Kotoha's insubordination by leveling up Kotoha's character and then, after a couple of setbacks, even beating the terrifying Boss Zombie with the trusty Yui Attack. And Saito is garbage.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
A good colour
https://files.catbox.moe/6i7jjo.webm

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

One of the better episodes imo. Pocket Tissue Attack! was great. Yui forgetting what she was doing and starting to just hand out tissues was so precious.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Feb 26, 2018

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
In this episode the colors discover protection rackets.

Drutten
Mar 30, 2011
I liked the lottery girl. Too bad she won't live... But then again, who does?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Tales of Symphonia (1995)

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Poor kotoha... :3:

The Dignity Moustache is extremely good

Drutten
Mar 30, 2011
Yep, Yui sweetly destroying Kotoha's self image as a gamer is still a great gag.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I just love watching this show.

I think Saito had the best line this episode.

Jarakchan
Mar 17, 2009

I love these garbage children.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
They're all such jerks.

Except for Pops. He's a perfect angel.

On a related note, I think of Batou from GITS whenever I see him.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sindai posted:

On a related note, I think of Batou from GITS whenever I see him.

I looked it up before. The VA is the same as Nakamura.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

well, it's over. overall i enjoyed seeing the manga adapted, and they expanded on some of my favorite bits (zoo, museum). but boy, was the animation cheap.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrH83q89xe0

i like how kotoha's cd is just filled with denpa and memes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Space Flower posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrH83q89xe0

i like how kotoha's cd is just filled with denpa and memes