Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

WTF I didn't realize USA/CAN played this morning. I'm missing so much (live) curling!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

No Sidorova, no Jennifer Jones, #NotMyOlympics

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How did Team USA allow curlers already on the men’s and women’s teams to do mixed doubles? Seems to devalue that event as an afterthought imo.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Why is Michael Phelps allowed to swim individual events as well as relays and team events?
That's a terrible comparison.

Even if it weren't, you're kinda proving my point because the nature of swimming allows competitors to compete in too many events.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm watching Korea/Norway for the crowd reactions and the announcer is making me fall asleep.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Norway got a steal of 3 in the 2nd end. Korea is... not good.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Matt Hamilton reminds me of Ken Bone

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Athanatos posted:

Open button cant stop the hammer on it. Give up 1. USA.
Draw weight is hard

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Wikipedia says the stones just need to weigh between 38 and 44 pounds. That's a huge amount of potential variation. Even if you targeted 42 lbs, the granite would have variation in density. What do they do if a stone is over/under weight?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Korean male fell over and grabbed his main wrist and then NBC cut to commercial wtf

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

I honestly don't understand your point. In both summer and winter olympics, competitors are permitted to, and frequently do, compete in multiple events. Including both individual and team events. Why are you singling out curling to be different?
In other sports like swimming and track, they’re primarily individual sports. The relay events are strongly tilted toward the team with the strongest individual athlete but a stronger team on average can still prevail.

Curling is primarily a team event. If countries allow someone from the team event to play in mixed doubles, then the strongest team basically gets another free medal. However, if you don’t send your strongest players, like what the US did, then you’re basically saying the event doesn’t matter to you.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Oh god, I remember that match. The American women were so bad.

The American men too.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How is the US so bad at curling? Minnesota alone has 5.5 million people which is slightly more than Norway.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Namtab posted:

This Canadian bloke is a bit of a dickhead tbh
Is it just me or does he keep calling her Kayla?

Also wtf you lose the hammer if you blank the end?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

gret posted:

Canada's pretty good at this curling thing, eh?
Kaitlyn Lawes came to kick rear end and eat poutine, and she's all out of poutine

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lol US just screwed themselves out of a guaranteed point

wtf China screwed themselves out of a steal

lol US gave the steal back to China

Curling: piss poor skill from everyone except Canadians

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 10, 2018

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Namtab posted:

I’ve heard commentary comparing curling to things like chess so maybe it’s like that where it’s bad form to drag things out if you already lost
Nah, people just call it chess on ice because they want to play up the strategery

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Namtab posted:

It’s like Starcraft on ice
Pls don’t troll. Starcraft is sacred.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

First time I ever heard about curling was taking the bus into St. Paul from Minneapolis, which goes by a curling club.

Didn't believe my father's answer when I asked him what curling was.
"You slides rocks into a circle and sweep the ice"?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kaitlyn threw the wrong color stone. I've never seen that happen before.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

lol that John is making Kaitlyn sweep on every shot

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tolly Totes posted:

Ok so according to wikipedia John Morris was one time known as the "bad boy of curling" and I really just don't see how that can be possible, partly because it's curling and partly because he seems like a fairly nice guy who is always complimenting his teammate
Is this... are you being facetious?

quote:

I'm almost scared to see the women's team that apparently beat her team
Rachel Homan is a stone cold (heh) killer and Jennifer Jones is old and washed up that's right I said it fight me :colbert:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 11, 2018

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tolly Totes posted:

7-0 even,

This is hard to watch, especially after seeing Lawes hit every shot perfect in the lead up to this game
They swapped her Canadian maple syrup for stuff from Vermont

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

John Morris is wearing Nike skateboarding shoes. Did he just stick teflon pads on the bottom?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Norway kicking away last stones before they've fulled stopped, ain't nobody got time for this poo poo.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I was surprised to see the Norwegian women's team isn't playing, nor did they play in 2014, which is making me crazy since Kristin Skaslien looks super familiar and I obviously wouldn't have seen her at the Scotties.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Reminder:
https://twitter.com/AndrewMcNair85/status/436097763256709120

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I unironically want Shuster to go winless.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Women's tourney starts in 5 minutes. No Homan today though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Totally not Russia's second is super adorable :3:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This OAR team is horrendous. How do you not do a hit and roll for 2? Instead you just needed a draw inside the 12 foot and came up short.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Russian skip is awful, Sidorova would be clowning on her.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Russian skip is awful, Sidorova would be clowning on her.
She does it again, just needs to draw anywhere in the house and throws it right through

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Holy poo poo, Japanese skip with an awful throw. Simple hit and roll for 3 and they hit the high guard letting USA steal for 1. They could be up 11-4 and the game would be over.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Minrad posted:

the japanese player just cracking up and giggling as they spin around in circles like 5 times lol
yeah definitely the most kawaii thing i've seen all games

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Muirhead really struggling. Missed her final stone in end 1 that cost GBR a second point and again in end 3 that gave USA an second point.

lol GBR flashed another. First and Second have both done it this game now.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

John Wilkes Booth posted:

All four matches are 4-3 right now, that's weird
The Olympics are rigged.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Koirhor posted:

Korean Skip :swoon: also you could say that last end had some canadian miskews :v:
Gonna have to watch the replay I guess. This GBR/USA game has been very lackluster.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rip GBR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bankok posted:

And there’s the Shuster we know. Italy with a 5 in the 3rd.
I've been watching a replay of Mikaela Shiffrin but lol

Just loving lol

• Locked thread