Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
I thought about buying the Target books online, but then remembered I'll be up in central London next month; I have most if not all of the original Targets, accumulated originally from the local bookstore where I grew up and later when to university. I want to have the pleasure of walking in and picking one or two up as my lunchtime reading, the way I did all those years ago :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Finally got to use a Waterstone's gift card (received as part of an honorium for giving a talk on Nero) and snagged a couple of the new Target books. I coulda bought them online, but as I said way above in this thread, I used to buy them from a little bookshop in the town where I grew up, 30+ years ago. It's still loads of fun to get them in person and try to decide which one you want (or how many you can get with a £20 giftcard...)

Nothing like taking Eurostar to Paris whilst reading City of Death :france: (and then having 'Running through Paris' stuck in your head the rest of the day :argh:)

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

It’s worse if you ever actually go to Paris. I was humming it to myself all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DbCVPgGMs8

Go to Paris, and on the train over, read the novelisation. I had a hell of a time shifting that damned tune out of my head, but no regrets :black101:

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Paul McGann has been playing a dodgy doctor (har!) in Holby City for much of the year; last night's episode featured, as a guest patient, Sylvester McCoy.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Apparently they didn’t share any scenes though?

I'm only about half way through -- I tend to take about two days to get through a Holby.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

[Ray Davies, Dave Davies and two others like this]

There've been more Kinks than Doctors -- Ray's sacked so many over the years that there are tribute bands comprised solely of cast off Kinks. including the one called Kast-Off Kinks :guitar:

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

docbeard posted:

I just assume that any time McGann turns up in anything he's actually playing the Doctor with amnesia.

From a few pages back, soz -- Paul McGann has been playing a mad scientist surgeon on Holby City for months, and after a very slow burn, the crazy evil has ramped up into the stratosphere in the past couple of episodes. But no matter how sinister or OTT his storyline gets, he plays it with that quiet, soothing voice and subdued mannerisms that he does so well -- even while he's experimenting on people and doing horrific stuff to shut up anyone who might suss him out.

So far his character has been experimenting a new surgical technique on people following a flawed premise, and he doesn't give a poo poo that he's leaving behind vegetables and corpses in his wake after he mucks about in this spinal columns/brains. One of his long-time colleagues started sleuthing to figure out what the hell he's been doing; frightened by an encounter with him, she ran away, got knocked down by a car, and sustained a head injury. Dr McGann stepped in to operate and deliberately hosed up the operation to leave her with locked-in syndrome :stonk: When he was informed that she was lucid and attempting to alert the other medics via blinking, he swooped him, told everyone it was just some involuntary reaction, and then morphined her to death -- with her very aware of what he was doing, given that he was not only telling her how much he loved her and it was for her own good, but showing her the comedy-oversized injection needle before he jammed it into her IV bag :stonk: :stonk:).

The usual old lady brigade who follow the show are horrified with the storyline and complain weekly to the BBC -- all this goes out between 8 & 9pm, as well.

:iia:

Ms Boods fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Maelstache posted:

So it's basically turned into a Holby version of the "bad doctor" sketches from Jam?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKxM4ToLLR8

Ah hahahaha -- yes!

HopperUK posted:

This almost makes me want to watch Holby.

Now that truly would be evil.

• Locked thread