Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Wonderful threads

All of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rirse posted:

While I haven't been minding Season 9 as much, man it seems to be disliked a lot going by the Jerusalem reviews.

Here's the secret to Doctor Who

Don't give a poo poo what other people think because no one agrees.

No one even agrees on why they like or DON'T like certain things.

I'm sure some one somewhere out there doesn't like Power of the Daleks

And that's fine

Just like what you like and don't like what you don't

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Under the Lake was very good, it didn't stick the landing though

The biggest problem with that one on a visual level was that they did not know how the shoot the suit out doors.

That was one of the more impressive 'monster' suits they've come up with but the way they shot it kinda diminished that whole thing

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It does seem like a poor investment of your time

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Please don't be a loving poo poo show Chibnall

For the love of God just please

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Edward Mass posted:

Looking through the archives, the reaction to Rose was lukewarm. The episode, not the character. Opinions on the character were....let's just say, unacceptable on the SA Forums in 2018.

So either everyone wanted to gently caress her or wanted her to gently caress off

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I had dial up in that era so I watched it on SciFi like a pleb.

Loved it every step of the way.

I have distant, dim memories of watching the Movie back when that came out but I never really thought anything about it or associated it with anything, good or bad. It was just Something That Was On. May not have even seen it all at the time.

Rose brought me to the Who party and I've been glad to be here ever since.

Somewhere around the third or fourth season a friend of mine sent me TOMB OF THE CYBERMEN, PYRAMIDS OF MARS and THE PIRATE PLANET and I absolutely fell in love with Classic Who as well

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gynovore posted:

I started by watching Baker's run as a wee tot back in the 80's. Because it was on PBS, we assumed it was a kid's show, and were therefore quite astonished to see people actually be killed.

I hope to God you meant Tom and started with like, Genesis of the Daleks or something

Because God drat is that a body count

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Edward Mass posted:

I thought Mugabe was ousted.

He was allowed to keep his collection

Ousted from power, never from our hearts

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

I like the first part of that three-parter, but I sort of feel like the best resolution would have been the Doctor and Bill casually discussing how they got rid of the monks at the beginning of their completely unrelated next adventure.

I think the second episode is probably the worst, because there seems to be no reason why any of the military people are saying the things that they're saying, and it's so painfully long. The whole "This is not consent" thing was a weird mystery with an unsatisfying conclusion. At least the third one has some happy "the power of love somehow blew up the alien monsters, the love just made their hateful hearts explode" with an accompanying Murray Gold soundtrack.

Yeah shame about the millions of people literally executed and then I guess forgotten about.

Sorry Sara, your mom is dead now because you turned her in for thought crimes and you don't know why

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I do wish more companions reacted like the Brig did when he first saw the inside of the TARDIS

Namely annoyance and indifference. Of course this is happening. It's likely something the Doctor did just to pick at him

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The Brig basically worked for a lot of the same reasons Jamie worked.

Jamie just did not care, all of this poo poo was nonsense to him so he took it all without much complaint.

The Brigadier is similar in that nothing really phased him, but unlike Jamie who just accepted whatever and went on his way, the Brig just got really annoyed about it not being normal.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also the Doctor likely doesn't even remember how old he is.

He jumped a few centuries or so during the Fourth Doctor's era from the Third and was somewhere north of 2000 by Seven, and then dropped back down to just 2000 for Nine

Chances are the Doctor is way, WAY older than he even thinks just because of time poo poo

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Like just going from what we know from Time Lords and the Doctor himself

He had to of been the War Doctor for at least 500-ish years. That's about how long it takes, minimum, for the Doctor to go from a young body to a notably old one

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

It's too bad David Bowie never got to be in Doctor Who.

Yet.

I still believe.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Why has that not been animated yet

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

nine-gear crow posted:

It's not, I'm just saying I seem to have to wrack my brain to come up with any time Eceleston has ever said anything positive about almost anything he's been attached to.

He had nothing but good things to say about Cage and I've not heard him bad mouth Heroes too much

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

There's some manner of 90 minute "director's cut" version of genesis of the Daleks being shown theatrically in June. Fathom already has tickets up.

How in the hell would that even work

I mean

What is that even going to cut? Are they going to touch up effects? Restore the picture? Or

I'm very confused

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

So I've just found out that the 1966 Japanese film King Kong Returns features a villain called Dr Who, who happens to look like this. Hmmmm.

It's entirely unrelated sadly.

The more likely inspiration for the King Kong Doctor Who, who originated in a Japanese American Animated King Kong co-production between Rakin Bass and Toei a year before King Kong Escapes (the American title of KKR), would be Doctor No from James Bond.

Japan didn't super know what Doctor Who was at this point, as this thread has gone into before.

I will say though, Doctor Who from the animated series and Doctor Who from KK Returns/Escapes are very different looking characters.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

And Saint Peter reveals his face to be that of the best actor who ever interpreted the Doctor.

Peter... Cushing.

Where's the joke though

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Chokes McGee posted:

Random, but I really want someone to get recast regularly for BF as 1/2/3 so I can see River inteact with Two.

River: Hello Sweetie :smug:
Two: ...oh crumbs.

"So which wife were you again?"

"...Which?"

"I have at least two."

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

The real problem with Captain Mysterio is that the superhero was kind of unlikable. I get that they were really specifically reaching for a Clark Kent/Superman thing, but he comes off as the world's most annoying and clueless Nice Guy.

Acting as the *BABY SITTER* of the girl yo uwant to bone is just loving creepy

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Wheat Loaf posted:

I didn't dislike it - it was an amusing diversion for an hour on Christmas Day but I haven't once gone back to revisit it since.

Of course I wasn't especially impressed by "The Husbands of River Song" and everybody liked it. :shrug:

Everybody liked how it ended.

That's a crucial difference. I hated that episode until the ending.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

You know what classic Who trope I miss? Villains saying 'Time Lord' dismissively like they actually meant to say 'bumface'.

It really has gotten too grandiose for its own good.

That's one thing I REALLY hated about moffat's run, how important the Doctor was. He's just some stupid old man in a box that fixes poo poo.

He pulled back on that a bit with Capaldi but then doubled down on it a few annoying times

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CommonShore posted:

RTD started the whole "the Doctor is literally Jesus" thing. IMO that intergalactic mythic poo poo is the worst part of the revival. I like it better when the mythic role gets assigned to a character from the episode in a tiny cute way, like at the end of the recent Picts/Romans story.

Moffat made it a lot worse.

In fact some of the worst aspects of the Doctor's reputation being overblown and way more important than it should be were in Moffat penned stories during the RTD era

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Who is that?

Also, maybe it's the Curator

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So

Okay I'm all kinds of confused here. I know who Sara Kingdom is, I doubt there's any Doctor Who fan who likes the classic era that doesn't.

So, is this Jane Slavin going to be playing Sara Kingdom for Big Finish as the Fourth Doctor's new companion?

Or is there some other Sara Kingdom news that I don't know about, and the remarkable thing about this is that Jane Slavin is some big name actress that I don't recognize

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

Don't get me wrong, Robot is a Pertwee story but I don't mean that Tom Baker is playing it as Jon Pertwee. A big part of the appeal for me is that this new Doctor is so vastly different from the one who would normally be undertaking this adventure. But I still think the story was initially written as a standard Pertwee and the changes in the Doctor's character/attitude came later in the process, probably with a significant amount of input from Tom.

"That's not what he's supposed to be doing!"

"Shut up and keep filming!"

"All of the dialogue is all wrong! Where did he even find a clown suit?"

"Shut up! We are his puppets now!"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Classic Who could be very naff

It also is a joy and a wonder.

Like, legit, the best scifi is probably done a little after Troughton's run, but the entire thing is just so goddamn good and has so many good things in it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Trin Tragula posted:

The best year of Doctor Who in terms of sustained quality is clearly Pertwee's first year, fight me

I am entirely with you on that. There has never been a better season of Doctor Who in the history of the program than Pertwee's first.

Top to bottom everything is either a stone cold classic or a hidden gem that no one talks about but super mega nerds.

I was just referring to classic SCIFI stuff, which was strongest in the black and white era.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

The Paradigm Daleks were supposed to have multiple, interchangeable arms. That's why the mid section was designed as it was. It was a track, and the arm would go to the back, and there was a hatch on the Dalek that led to where the other appendages were stored.

Again, shame about how they never loving used them.

Seriously they had such a good set up for new Dalek stories- yeah they looked rubbish but you could work with that if the stories were good

Only no Dalek story after that was good, and they all just reused the RTD era props instead. Or had pointless cameos from older ones that didn't do anything!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

Ahahaha, of course he knows and of course he finds the entire idea absolutely delightful :allears:

This is exactly what I wanted when the idea of River meeting older Doctors came up

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LividLiquid posted:

What I meant was how on Earth would 4 recognize, remember, and know River and that she's his wife.

Might be the Curator. Or it's just Four being Four.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Clara didn't turn into a good companion until after Matt Smith

She wasn't really allowed to be one until then

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DrNutt posted:

Probably not news to anyone else here in the Doctor Who thread, but watching the modern series made me curious about checking out the old show, so I jumped right into An Unearthly Child, and I was pretty drat impressed. The caveman story was pretty meh but I was actually pretty surprised at how many elements were right there from the very beginning. Contrast that with something like Star Trek, where the later revisions added a lot more and outright retconned a bunch of stuff to make things fit together better. I mean, for all I know stuff like that happens with Doctor Who also but I mean, right off the bat you have the TARDIS, the sonic (though I don't think it was named at all in the first serial), bigger on the inside, companions, and honestly, as gruff and weird as the first doctor seems, he didn't really seem out of character at all.

I don't know if I have the fortitude to watch everything that's available but I'm definitely stoked to check out first appearances of iconic Who villains like the Daleks and the Cybermen. I was a little saddened to hear that the episode with the first regeneration is one of the lost episodes, but apparently there is footage of that still around somewhere?

The regeneration itself has been saved thanks to archival footage, but the episode was lost. You can watch it animated though.

The Daleks is more in line with An Unearthly Child in quality and just ramps up everything. It's quite a good serial.

Dalek Invasion of Earth is a touch long, but it's also REALLY good 1960s scifi.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DrNutt posted:

Apparently it was a blink and miss it sort of thing.

The Doctor makes mention across the revival that he was a father and a grandfather a few times.

Susan he just tries to do his best by, and you'll see how that ends up

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

misadventurous posted:

Evergreen advice

Old Who fans (the bad ones) have been defensive of Weng Chiang for years. Honestly, as much as the yellowface irritates me it’s the Doctor participating in the racism (“little men” and “epicanthic eyebrows,” jeezus) that left the worst taste in my mouth.

It also has Leela’s one really egregious moment of being damseled, just to ice the poo poo on a little more

It's especially galling because we had the Third Doctor engage with a Chinese military officer who happened to be a woman (AND ACTUALLY ASIAN- not sure if she was Chinese or not but she wasn't White!) and

You know

Not be a racist poo poo head

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If it was a bit more crescent shaped, I'd accuse it of being a Sailor Moon transformation item

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CobiWann posted:

To quote, "ew." Then she went on for two minutes about the ships she prefers and I had no clue what she was saying.

Is...is this what getting old and out of touch feels like?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV0wTtiJygY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

Thrawn is dead, he died in Rebels.

What, Rebels will have anyone survive ANYTHING so long as they're not explicitly, totally and completely dead

How they never had Maul and Vader fight, I will NEVER understand

• Locked thread