Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Mordja posted:

I think it's going more for a Witcher but historical type thing than a M&B.

Pretty much this, if you were one of the guards singing to himself in front of large buildings. You aren't the hero of the story, you're just Some Dude with a grudge that occasionally does mercenary work in large battles.

I'm intrigued by this game because sim games always interest me, and the idea that you are treated by citizens not only by what you wear, but also how shiny and clean your armor is, is pretty neat. The historical focus will be something, since medieval life was pretty boring for the common serf. It also doesn't explain how populations are going to work; if you break into someone's house and kill them, is the house just empty forever? It'd be pretty weird for simulation if there was just someone back the next day running the same script, but it's likely that is how it will work.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Hes an alt right gamergater so people are hesitant to give money or the benefit of the doubt to a transparently bad person.

The whole historical realism argument for not including women thing also doesn’t really withstand any kind of scrutiny because the game already isn’t realistic on a number of fronts, the portrayal of combat probably the biggest offender. This game does not depict anything resembling actual 14th century combat. So you have to ask yourself why is that (pretty significant) historical inaccuracy okay but not, say, playable women?

aw gently caress, why are nerds such poo poo people

I did notice that the combat is hardly realistic as well, they put a lot of ad space in with how the fighting is "based on real techniques", but sword-and-board combat just was not as common as most media depicts it. Teaching someone to fight with a sword requires training. Teaching someone to fight with a spear is a matter of "take this and put the pointy end in the other guy". This is especially true for large battles, where the majority of the plebs fighting would just be using spears or something close to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

SlightlyMad posted:

You are partly right in my uninformed opinion, since polearms were the primary weapon for armies of the time, but grave finds show plenty of sword and board action did take place as well. I have seen the game feature polearms, axes and maces too, it is not all swords all the time. As a counterpoint to how unrealistic you think the combat is, a historical european martial arts guy commented that at least compared to other games this one gets it "closer" to reality than most. It was on a youtube video by Skallagrim, talking about the Beta version. I can not judge personally either way, I am not a martial arts historian. For all I know we could all be wrong in our assumptions, historians included.

Mostly it's a question of how the damage model will work. You cannot fight an unarmored person and an armored one the same way, slashing might work against a dude in a tunic but all you are going to do is dull your blade against armor. So swinging against rando bandits with your sword might make sense, but how are they going to attack you if you are in full plate? Nothing but attempts to pierce the mail with stabbing attacks, as they should? But that would break the whole combat model. But if they have it so sword swings penetrate, then you are off model with armor. Hell, even knights didn't use swords as their primary weapons, they were either using lances, poleaxes, or just daggers. Swords were solidly Plan B, they carried them but they weren't the primary weapons. You did not want to go toe to toe with another heavily armored knight in a swordfight in a real battle because then some dirt-caked serf would stab you in the rear end with his pike.

Hell, if a person is in full plate the easiest thing for a bandit to do is to just shove you over and stab you in the neck with a dagger while you are on the ground. Armored plate fighters are like tanks, they either fight one on one or they do it with light unit support.

I do have some hope because the armor-on-armor fight in the trailer showed the PC beating the poo poo out the other guy with a mace, which is a solid plan. But idk how its going to work out with just regular enemies.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 9, 2018

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The reason why there aren't girls to play as or fight is because of a six hour coffee binge where the lead designer and armor historian had a heated debate over boob armor.

Skoll posted:

lol if you won't be able to mod in third person. FPS extended melee is never fuckin fun.

I'm sure it will be modded in, people are already working on total conversion mods for a game that isn't even on the market yet

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I sincerely hope those were ripped without retyping because they misspelled "Anorexia"

And a MGTOW game would absolutely be this, because Kings and Real Men

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 10, 2018

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Like I'm totally okay with the game having tons of acceptable breaks from reality, because they make the game much more fun. If they said that they were going to make Chivalry: Medieval Warfare just more deadly and open world then I'd be all over that poo poo in a second. It's just weird that they went through so much effort to make a grognard game and totally hosed it up.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

KyloWinter posted:

ive only seen the trailer so i dunno if there are big battles or what but you would definitely have swords that cut employed in non military fashion. the only fighting in the trailer was fighting some bandits, tournament fighting, etc. langes messer and longsword should still be popular in the hre and the rapier hadnt developed yet.

e: watching it again i guess there are some cinema shots of the armies so i dunno what this game is about i guess

I am sure this isn't what you mean, but the image of a peasant drawing a sword to do everything is hilarious.

Need to cut a tree down? Sword. Cutting your hair? Sword. Need to get your horse to go faster? Rap it with the flat of the sword. Digging a hole? Sword. Need to stir a stew but don't have a spoon? You guessed it, sword.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinmurnane/2018/02/10/heres-the-story-behind-kingdom-come-deliverances-23-gb-day-one-patch/

quote:

So, let me stop the rumor mill dead in its tracks before everyone continues jumping to conclusions. The way that I’ve been told that the engine works, is it takes the entire game and separates the PKG or ISO into 2GB archives. If during a patch you so much as alter a 1KB text file within any of these 2GB archives, then you need to reupload the ENTIRE 2GB portion. That beings said, this is a major patch that improves overarching mechanics throughout the game, so it touches almost all of these 2GB archives in the entire game build. Essentially you are having to redownload the game to replace the existing files. It shouldn’t stack them and inflate on your harddrive, but rather replace the previously downloaded build files.

I'm sorry what

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Roobanguy posted:

that sounds like how payday 2 does it. it lowers the file size down significantly but when a patch comes through you now have to redownload 7 gigs for a small fix.

Yeah if I understand it correctly they are compressing the poo poo out of the game to get the file sized down and...unzipping? Mounting? Doing something with an ISO as is it is being played. It's just weird because disk size is cheap while for a lot of people downloads are increasingly expensive. Contact huge patches are going to kill people with data caps.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Popete posted:

I've never done a pre-order through Green Man Gaming. Do you get the key ahead of launch? Or if not how long does it usually take after launch to get the key?

You should get the key immediately, although sometimes the publisher fucks up and doesn't provide them enough keys to cover the sales immediately at launch and it's a few hours until you get it. that's rare though.

Only reason not to go with GMG if they are having a sale is that you can't preload it.

E. Looks like their 20% off coupon can be used on KCD so yeah go for it if you don't absolutely need to play at midnight

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 11, 2018

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

If the combat is actually like Chivalry, it's a day one purchase for me. Chiv combat in an RPG would be like a dream come true. I highly doubt that's the case, though.

e: imagine looking at a historical game set in 15th-century Bohemia and complaining about the lack of racial diversity, how far gone you would have to be for that. It's like a parody. If the lead dev is an rear end in a top hat during interviews or something, that's fair enough, but this particular complaint is nonsense.

It looks like it's a slightly more complicated version of Mount and Blade's Simon Says swordfights so god knows.

I'm probably going to pick this up one steam, play it for an hour and a half, and then decide if I want to refund it. Thank God they implemented that system.

E. Watching a streamer for a bit, the story and VA seems good but mechanically the game is kind of a mess. Horses handle like tanks, and the UI is very strange. The dude I was watching had to go through trial and error to figure out that the reason why his health was dropping was because he was bleeding to death, since it isn't easily shown on the UI like it should be. Didn't see any combat but the guy said it was kind of flimsy so we will see I guess. Questing is a bit of a mess too, the area that you are given to search in is huge, and at least from the quest I saw the NPCs are no help. They also have that thing where everyone in the same area will have the exact same conversation with you, which is jarring.

Kind of surprised to see this clusterfuck being picked up like it has been, I first learned about it while fixing my Nvidia drivers from an ad they had there, which is usually reserved for AAA games

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Feb 12, 2018

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

This seems like one of those sim games whose devs spent so much time trying to implement so many systems that they forgot to check to see if any of them were any fun.

I guess it's going to come down to why you are playing it, and what kind of game it really is. A lot of RPGs have actually kind of lovely combat. Everyone loved Skyrim so much but let's be real melee combat was kind of poo poo. But you did it so you could explore the world.

If it ends up painting a compelling story it could be good. Or if you are there for all the micromanagement in making GBS threads Simulator 2018 then it will probably be good. But if you are there for the combat it's probably going to be crap. I expect the user reviews for this are going to be *scathing*

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

I'm glad someone decided to add stealth archery. Such an easy thing to overlook, really

Especially considering it was in the trailer

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

It seems like a strange thing to complain about but I'm a bit concerned about how dark the game is during nighttime. Yes yes, not like they had artificial lighting, but there should at least be *moonlight* or something. From the previews it looks like it's cave dark the whole night.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

KyloWinter posted:

Without moonlight night is really dark. Even with some moonlight it is still really dark. Light pollution makes things brighter. Leave your houses goons.

I looked back at the gameplay trailer and I figured out why it felt so dark. There's no loving stars. It's just pitch black all the time.

E. This looked a lot darker in the video before I snipped it out, but you can still see there's no stars out.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 12, 2018

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The Chad Jihad posted:

Yeesh, the dude found a sleeping guy and stabbed him several times, and the guy had time to play the "getting out of bed" animation and then run away, followed by 8-10 guards piling into the room and whaling on the player for half a minute till he was arrested. In the preview vids it looked a lot more lethal?

IIRC killing someone with stealth is a perk, not something you can do off the bat. So i guess until you unlock it you will be shooting people in the head from half a foot away

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

KyloWinter posted:

drat. I didn't realize making a black npc took up more development resources than making a white npc

It's, like, one whole extra texture. They couldn't waste their precious making GBS threads system development time to make one.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Reiterpallasch posted:

i actually don't know the answer to this: is this game set in actual bohemia, or one of the non-sovereign duchies? because by the 16th century i don't know if you can describe anywhere in bohemia proper as a real backwater. if it's silesia or moravia or whatever maybe it'd be different.

Copying from Wiki,

quote:

Kingdom Come: Deliverance takes place in the early 15th century, in the Kingdom of Bohemia, part of the Lands of the Bohemian Crown and the Holy Roman Empire in what is now the Czech Republic. The accessible area of the game is located in the region between Sázava and Rataje nad Sázavou (Rattay).[1]Other real-world settlements and towns in the game include Stříbrná Skalice (Skalitz), Světlá nad Sázavou, Talmberk Castle (Talmberg), Samopše (Samopesh), Úžice (Auschitz), Nový Dvůr (Neuhof), and Přibyslavice (Pribyslavitz).[7]

I have no idea how populated these towns would be as of the game's timeline however

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

judiging from the wiki articles on the various towns. they seem tiny as gently caress today for the most part.

Yeah, but it's possible that they just didn't expand like others. By all means a town with 500 people in it now could have had a similar number (relative to the capacities of the time) compared to one that grew to a huge city.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Only when you master the blade completely do you gain the ability to do the Swirly Stabby Stab

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

FYI Steam is reporting this as releasing in four hours, not middle of the day like they had said.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Randomzx posted:

Apparently this was a bug where in the beginning tutorial fight you weren't suppose to have a sword yet, and thus flagged to deal unarmed damage for the part.

Belief in Peasant Chopping Simulator 2018 renewed.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Steam unlock is up. It'll take ~30 mins to unpack because the game is 32 gigs lol

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Feb 13, 2018

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Looks like reviews are coming in as expected, saying that it's ambitious and interesting with its systems but a buggy technically mess, resulting in pretty middling scores.

I would expect that the reviews were written before this megapatch so maybe some of the issues will be fixed.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Der Shovel posted:

My game says it's v1.2 now, and honestly I don't notice any practical difference to v1.1 so I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

I'm hype about the idea that the game presents, so I'm kind of leaning on the idea that most of the fuckups will be patched relatively quickly now that it's out. Even the big things like not being able to clearly tell when you're under a status effect is just a matter of throwing an icon on the UI.

That said, it's amazing we have slid this far into "all new releases are beta builds", especially considering the game was in production for four years

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Der Shovel posted:

Mmmaybe, but the game's problems run deeper than bugs. There's some baffling design decisions in there, and for instance combat rarely felt fun to me. The more I played the more frustrated I was with various mechanics which didn't feel fully thought out or well realized.

Oh yeah, the broad strokes of the mechanics are going to be entirely unchanged, so if combat is poo poo then it will always be poo poo. I haven't actually started yet so I look forward to having my misguided optimism shattered.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Der Shovel posted:

Make sure the game didn't go into borderless fullscreen. For me that knocked the FPS way down. I got ~70-90 FPS with a GTX 1080 and a 8700K at 1440P at high settings in actual full screen, but way less in borderless fullscreen, and it insists on going into borderless fullscreen the second you let your guard down.

Also, forests and some other areas knocked me consistently down to 30-ish FPS. So yeah, it's strangely heavy.

And be careful adjusting your resolution with full screen borderless because the game has no issues going beyond the actual dimensions of your screen and there is no way to set it baaaack

Games should have a "confirm these settings within 30 seconds" prompt for resolution by law

E. If anyone else does this and have an Nvidia card you can use GeForce's optimization feature to force it back to fullscreen.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Feb 13, 2018

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

There are a lot of loading screens in this game, christ

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I'm not overly impressed but I'm not unimpressed either. The story seems pretty good, at least at the start, and they seem to have changed a few small complaints at least.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Spoiler for the drunkard quest

If you help your friends at the tavern you can get them to beat him up for you.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Drinking to save is dumb but stopping save scumming somewhat is okay.

Pretty into it so far. Combat is pretty Simon Says as expected but there are enough things (perfect parries, combos, etc) to make it not too boring. Story is neat, world feels lively. Only complaint is that finding quest objectives is a huge pain unless they are marked pretty close on the map.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Pablo Gigante posted:

What's wrong with save scumming if that's how some people want to play

This might just be me but when I have the ability to save scum I feel like I have the obligation to do it. Playing normally feels like a self imposed challenge. Making your actions count for something by removing that ability except when you really want it is a benefit imo.

It's like scumming in XCOM. Yeah, you can do it, but you are kind of just ruining it for yourself.

That said, lock picking needs to be waaaay easier

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 13, 2018

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

It does seem to conform to expectations both in the positive and the negative sense. It's definitely staying on my wish list.

How do you raise Speech in this game, do you just talk to people? Can I talk to the same peasant wench over and over to grind my Speech?

I believe you have to do actual speech checks to get XP, so you gain it naturally by doing quests

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Oh poo poo. Sorry Theresa. I didn't realize that was an option :(

Same. I stopped to consider it and caught two arrows so I turned tail and ran

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Sheep posted:

How do you skin animals for fur or pelts or whatever? I missed the popup and its not in the codex.

You need a perk for it, under hunting

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

PSA: you can't save your game by sleeping in any bed, it has to be YOUR bed or one you buy at an inn. In the mill where you have your first bed there are two in the room, make sure you use "your" bed.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Does this game have any kind of scaling to level or is there absolutely no downside to making my dude hop all night long with a drinking bird to build stamina

You can, but there isn't much reason to do so. You are going to be running all over the map so gaming the system isn't really worth it.

That said, it's worth save scumming lock picking when you get to the practice area next to your bed because the minigame is very hard to get a hang of and lockpicks are expensive as poo poo

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Lodin posted:

Play as God intended, with mouse and keyboard.

Normally I would agree, but lockpicking is entirely nonfunctional on keyboard. You have to control the speed you turn with the pick and also feel if you are damaging the pick with the migrations, neither of which work on a keyboard.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The stolen tag is all messed up as well, which makes things more complicated as well. It seems like which corpses are considered legit loot and stolen loot. The most hilarious example I've seen so far is hunting rabbit and having all their meat being tagged as stolen.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Jusupov posted:

Hunting is illegal in the game

Not when you are doing it with the Lord of the land it's not

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So what are the basic ways to train various skills? I just finished the tutorial area and I'm tempted to go back and maybe re-do some things if it means getting some easy benefits.

You train them by using them or can pay trainers to level them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Take stolen good, give to horse. Go to far off city, can't sell it, still tagged. drat. Go to fence way closer to point I stole it at, and now it's no longer tagged as stolen.

I think my horse is laundering my stolen goods.