Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
Bananas account for the most part the bulk of international shipping (via ship) and yes they must be refrigerated. The story is true about the United Fruit conglomerate. I lived in Costa Rica for a while. Now I live in Peru, Norther Peru where a very large amount of organic bananas are grown. What happened before in Central America is a long story and in the end it was justified, like it or not. Times have changed but controlling labor forces is a must and it is not so much about the money as it is about unscrupulous mafia types strong arming and taking over an international business. The world is not the USA and visa versa.

I bought non-organic bananas today grudgingly; 6 for $0.31 and I thought about what a rip-off the fruit business has become here (Peru) in the last few years. Bananas are basically weeds here and until recent they were 20, then 12 then 10 and now 6 for $0.31...rip-off. Now kids can not hardly eat them because the people, the consumer, has allowed the retail mafia to up the price on a weed. So who is behind this, the elected Congress-person.

The typical 40 pound box is sold here for export at about $7 for the fruit. It has to go through 15 different process and transported several times to get that bunch of bananas clean and to the Port. The refir container get shipped, docked, stored, transported to a warehouse, 1050 boxes of bananas unloaded, sorted, shipped to centralized warehouses and shipped to the final destination where they are stored until placed out for the retail public to grab and take home and do whatever with them. Sometimes a couple of steps are eliminated. The weeds/bananas are in a chain of events that increase their price from $0.17 a pound to +-$0.79 a pound today (Peru-2016). For a weed, that is not too bad.

These prices are for organic Certified "Williams" bananas in Peru. In Ecuador, our neighbor to the North, well the situation is like it was in Costa Rica and the organic bananas are about $3 for a box or $0.08 a pound but sell for the same price in the USA market. I just checked the USDA Market Report website for fruit. The prices are fixed because the bananas come from all points on the globe that have a semi to tropical climate...wherever weeds grow well. So that the USA public can have a banana, the world moves, literally, many aspects of the global economy, uhh, yes, the global economy. That means many more jobs then a few farmers cutting weeds. That is the truth behind bananas.

It is a very big business and it employs many people all over the World. So enjoy your banana and don't worry about the farmers, they know how to take care of themselves and NO ONE twists their arms to grow weeds and the bananas know how to grow and don't need much help from the farmers either. Everyone in the chain is pretty satisfied with their place and very pleased that people from just about everywhere are enjoying bananas or weeds, however you wish to look at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
fart

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
What about the banana blight that is making Cavendish bananas extinct, OP?

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
Did you know that bananas used to actually taste like bananas? They were called the Gros Michel banana, but Harry Cavendish did a genocide in the entire strain, so we only have his lackluster bananas today.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

B-a-n-a-n-a-s

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I like how unripe bananas are picked and then shipped all over the world, riping in a container along the way. Then I'll buy them and throw them away after 2 days because they've gone brown.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

durrr burrr duhhh im gonna wake up and write a million words about bananas today

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

suck my unwashed balls, op

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
do u stick bananas in ur rear end? if so, I assume it’s better to do it unpeeled

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

let it mellow posted:

do u stick bananas in ur rear end? if so, I assume it’s better to do it unpeeled

i can peel a banana with my rear end

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I am a banana

cnut
May 3, 2016

Ich bin ein banana.

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

[A MESSAGE FROM THE CLERGY]

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.
Bananananananana BATMAN

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

cnut posted:

Ich bin ein banana.

Bananas are expensive as hell in Germany, compared to the states.

Also what's the percentage of times stores find big rear end spiders in their crates of bananas?

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

https://youtu.be/wER564YB83M

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

those black things in bananas are spider eggs

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

shut up blegum posted:

I like how unripe bananas are picked and then shipped all over the world, riping in a container along the way. Then I'll buy them and throw them away after 2 days because they've gone brown.

Make banana bread you gigantic turd

you loving retard

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Bananas are proof God exists

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Jesus Christ posted:

Bananas account for the most part the bulk of international shipping (via ship) and yes they must be refrigerated. The story is true about the United Fruit conglomerate. I lived in Costa Rica for a while. Now I live in Peru, Norther Peru where a very large amount of organic bananas are grown. What happened before in Central America is a long story and in the end it was justified, like it or not. Times have changed but controlling labor forces is a must and it is not so much about the money as it is about unscrupulous mafia types strong arming and taking over an international business. The world is not the USA and visa versa.

I bought non-organic bananas today grudgingly; 6 for $0.31 and I thought about what a rip-off the fruit business has become here (Peru) in the last few years. Bananas are basically weeds here and until recent they were 20, then 12 then 10 and now 6 for $0.31...rip-off. Now kids can not hardly eat them because the people, the consumer, has allowed the retail mafia to up the price on a weed. So who is behind this, the elected Congress-person.

The typical 40 pound box is sold here for export at about $7 for the fruit. It has to go through 15 different process and transported several times to get that bunch of bananas clean and to the Port. The refir container get shipped, docked, stored, transported to a warehouse, 1050 boxes of bananas unloaded, sorted, shipped to centralized warehouses and shipped to the final destination where they are stored until placed out for the retail public to grab and take home and do whatever with them. Sometimes a couple of steps are eliminated. The weeds/bananas are in a chain of events that increase their price from $0.17 a pound to +-$0.79 a pound today (Peru-2016). For a weed, that is not too bad.

These prices are for organic Certified "Williams" bananas in Peru. In Ecuador, our neighbor to the North, well the situation is like it was in Costa Rica and the organic bananas are about $3 for a box or $0.08 a pound but sell for the same price in the USA market. I just checked the USDA Market Report website for fruit. The prices are fixed because the bananas come from all points on the globe that have a semi to tropical climate...wherever weeds grow well. So that the USA public can have a banana, the world moves, literally, many aspects of the global economy, uhh, yes, the global economy. That means many more jobs then a few farmers cutting weeds. That is the truth behind bananas.

It is a very big business and it employs many people all over the World. So enjoy your banana and don't worry about the farmers, they know how to take care of themselves and NO ONE twists their arms to grow weeds and the bananas know how to grow and don't need much help from the farmers either. Everyone in the chain is pretty satisfied with their place and very pleased that people from just about everywhere are enjoying bananas or weeds, however you wish to look at it.

Yo peep dis poo poo:

I'm gay in da USA.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44nDLsVeqbE

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
If bananas are a weed how come i ain't getting high on this poo poo?

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Testikles posted:

you have to be gay

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Testikles posted:

smoke the banana.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

you have to be gay

But... I am?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Testikles posted:

You should download AnarchistCookbook.txt for instructions on getting high on banana peels. Lots of good info in there, god bless

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yModCU1OVHY

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord

amusinginquiry posted:

Did you know that bananas used to actually taste like bananas? They were called the Gros Michel banana, but Harry Cavendish did a genocide in the entire strain, so we only have his lackluster bananas today.

This is also the reason bananas are in trouble due to spreading blight- growing huge fields of the same crop is breeding ground for disease! Enjoy em while you can

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
Honestly found this interesting.
But the fact that the comments are just shitposts makes me just lol.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Interesting post OP, don't mind the banana haters.

Here in Australia, bamanas sell for about 50c each in supermarkets, and $1-2 each in convenience stores.

So I'm guessing there's more than one banana billionare in the world.

Daylight come, and I wan' go home.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wsAg69XYYQ

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
B-A-N-A-N-A-S

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
My kids like bananas and i dont like spending a lot of money on them. If some poor peruvian kids have to starve to keep more money in my wallet cool.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

if u scrape off the inside of the banana peel and let it dry it turnes into LSD

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Wait, are you saying that if I became a shipping freighter pirate, the majority of my scores would be containers full of bananas? drat, that’s lame

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

As a tree dwelling apelike creature I found this quite fascinating.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

I like banana Runts.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

B-A-N-A-N-A-S

cnut
May 3, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HygopC4S5W0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU