Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nebakenezzer posted:

Kids films have a weird history of being scarring to children because ADULTS WANT YOU TO VALUE THIS

"The Plauge Dogs" and "Watership Down" being two good examples

I visited my sister's family not long ago (I have two nieces, age six and eight) and the older one in particular is a bit high strung

They were watching Spirit on netflix, (for those who are not six year old girls - Spirit is a TV show about girls and horses in Montana...sometime) and my older niece had to run out of the room when things got a bit heavy with some rear end in a top hat rancher kidnapping natives and taking their horses away.

One thing I got to do with my nieces was watch the original Wizard of Oz with them. They found it scary in two places: the tornado, and the bit where the wicked witch sets some sort of spell with that hourglass. [I'm not sure if you've watched the Wizard of Oz as an adult, but that bit is even more surreal than you might think - the threat is never explicitly stated except that 'Dorothy will die', and I think they get out of it just by smashing the hourglass.] My sister told me after (I didn't realize this) was that my older niece is particularly scared of natural disasters like tornadoes - though fortunately the tornado sequence doesn't go on too long. Or rather, the filmmakers very cleverly broke it up: the real tornado is scary and foreboding; then Dorthy gets clonked on the head, and we get a comic interlude which defuses the tension. (At the end of that sequence, you get a moment that seriously gives me chills just thinking about it - the moment when the mean spinster who wanted toto put down turns into the wicked witch. I'm not quite sure what it is, but this moment is genuinely like something out of a nightmare for me. That character goes from being badness concealed to howling into the storm with delight, reveling in it.) My niece is also very afriad of volcanoes and at one point my sister had to say she didn't need to worry about that, as there are 'no volcanoes around here.' (My Sister lives in the farm country of SW Ontario.)

Anyway, my point is: Jesus filmmakers some kids are really sensitive, y'mind not making manipulative as gently caress films because you want to colonize kids with your fears? If this thread proves anything, it's that the soft touch works a hell of a lot better

your nieces have a helicopter mom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

your nieces have a helicopter mom

your thinking of schnorkles

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Whorelord posted:

maybe these kids need to stop being weenies and watch the end of raiders of the lost ark unsupervised
This is why you need to space your kids out a bit, so the older sibling can introduce the younger one(s) to movies that are probably a bit too scary for the older kid, let alone the younger kid(s).

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
I accidentally exposed my three year old to Der Fuhrer's Face when I put all my Donald Duck shorts into the same playlist.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

do you think hot rod should be read as representing a burning cross ("hot rood") and that his ascension to the autobot throne is some sort of victory for the kkk??

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

also we should read "limbo" as the number 13 since so many hotels lack a 13th floor and thus we can demonstrate that monstars gang is ms-13 because moon star of limbo—the m.s.13

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Squizzle posted:

do you think hot rod should be read as representing a burning cross ("hot rood") and that his ascension to the autobot throne is some sort of victory for the kkk??

No.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Squizzle posted:

Squizzle posted:

also we should read "limbo" as the number 13 since so many hotels lack a 13th floor and thus we can demonstrate that monstars gang is ms-13 because moon star of limbo—the m.s.13

Been at the ether again, Squizzle?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Been at the ether again, Squizzle?

Nothing is as helpless or as depraved as a goon on an ether binge

commenting on kids cartoons

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

all three of the impossibles are clearly playing bass so how come their music sounds like they have a real guitarist and a drummer

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

riddle me that mfers

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

a question thats bothered me since i started learning to play guitar and realised that none of those dudes were playing actual guitars

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

THE BOTSMASTER

I. Intro to The Botsmaster

The Bots Master was a French/American TV show from 1993 that today is pretty obscure. There was a toy line for it, but it was apparently short lived, and I’m not sure they made it outside of France. While apparently you could buy VHSs of the series, it never got a DVD release, and remains something of a “lost” TV series. Some of it is on youtube, uploaded from VHS somebody made at the time in Sydney, Australia. If it sparkles for the thread, I’ll do a few episode recaps of it. It seems the American partners in the production (Avi Arad and Ham Sabin, up to their old tricks) produced an english dub out of Vancouver, then flogged the TV show to whoever wanted it. The actual physical animation was outsourced to Japan, which included 3-D sequences. As a gimmick it is good - too bad the “3-D shades” were bundled with the toys. It also has a totally 1993 electronic soundtrack - I can’t really describe it, but it is very intense and borderline obnoxious for a TV show that already has some legibility problems.

Main reason to do it in CSPAM? The thing is very, very, very early 90s cyberpunk, and because we live in a extra lovely tech dystopia today, the whole thing occasionally comes off as satire of Amazon and our tech masters. To wit: the protagonist, Ziv "ZZ" Zulander is a very young super genius who with the backing of the Robot Megafact [RM] corporation changed the world with a revolutionary new type of robot AI: the evocatively titled 3A. 3A robots are used so much around the world that the show only has six regular human characters in the sprawling metropolis of [city name.] Too late, our hero realizes that this giant corporation who stands astride the world’s economy is planning on formalizing that arrangement by, well, taking over the world via hardware upgrades, in the form of the Krang chip. So he becomes a (somewhat inept) freedom fighter, trying to stop the evil corporation. He has help in this in the form of the Boyz (if you despise using z's like that, for God’s sake, flee), sentient next generation robots the protagonist made basically for a laugh, but now repurposed to fighting robots. He also has help from his 10 year old little sister, who’s frankly a lot better at this war business than he is. RM corp, meanwhile, brands him a terrorist criminal, something that is frankly very easy to do as they control the media, even aside from the protagonist running plucky SAS-style raids to blow RM poo poo up.

Other things you might want to know:

* It written a little more intelligently than you might expect. Obviously in the genre of “cartoons with toy lines of yesteryear” that’s damning with faint praise, but the evil people’s plans are often rational, if not pretty smart. Similarly the robot muppet goofball squad is capable of smart plans, as well. The show has some continuity episode to episode, so victories or setbacks often matter down the road.

* It is hard to understand. The VOs that did this show were either already established actors or actors who apparently went on to be quite accomplished. They are good and fine. It’s just that a series of decisions about how the robots are voiced makes it sometimes hard to understand what a character is saying. The ‘3A’ bots all talk like their voice is being generated by early 1980s “dragon speaks” software, except slower and more halting, with the tone and emphasis happening at random. The Boyz speak mostly like humans, but first have a “robot” filter over top their voices, and often have squeaky, high pitched voices on top of that. The very squeakiest ones are in danger of being audible only to dogs, their voices are so shrill. The soundtrack is sometimes loud, and for some goddamn reason (maybe it is a French thing) nearly all the characters refer to other characters by their initials.

What I’m saying is that the dialog can be genuinely hard to follow at times. Oh, and one of the human characters has a severe lisp.

* When you try to work out why the protagonist built X robot in the first place, you can only conclude he was crazy, or amazingly cruel to AI that are always presented as sentient, or both.

Not gonna name names at this juncture.

Anyway, the opening. Here’s a question: is it cultural appropriation if the robots are programmed to be ‘urban?’ And not just because they rap. Racist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLKYOSiW7U4

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
The weeb sword bot is named Genji?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

LegoPirateNinja posted:

The weeb sword bot is named Genji?

Accord to wiki it's "Ninjzz"

I poo poo you not

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
oh thats much better

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
i watched bot masterZZZ as a kid.the dystopia context was something i noticed and i liked for that. the name ziv zulander was too memorable to ignore.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Nebakenezzer posted:

THE BOTSMASTER

I. Intro to The Botsmaster

The Bots Master was a French/American TV show from 1993 that today is pretty obscure. There was a toy line for it, but it was apparently short lived, and I’m not sure they made it outside of France. While apparently you could buy VHSs of the series, it never got a DVD release, and remains something of a “lost” TV series. Some of it is on youtube, uploaded from VHS somebody made at the time in Sydney, Australia. If it sparkles for the thread, I’ll do a few episode recaps of it. It seems the American partners in the production (Avi Arad and Ham Sabin, up to their old tricks) produced an english dub out of Vancouver, then flogged the TV show to whoever wanted it. The actual physical animation was outsourced to Japan, which included 3-D sequences. As a gimmick it is good - too bad the “3-D shades” were bundled with the toys. It also has a totally 1993 electronic soundtrack - I can’t really describe it, but it is very intense and borderline obnoxious for a TV show that already has some legibility problems.

Main reason to do it in CSPAM? The thing is very, very, very early 90s cyberpunk, and because we live in a extra lovely tech dystopia today, the whole thing occasionally comes off as satire of Amazon and our tech masters. To wit: the protagonist, Ziv "ZZ" Zulander is a very young super genius who with the backing of the Robot Megafact [RM] corporation changed the world with a revolutionary new type of robot AI: the evocatively titled 3A. 3A robots are used so much around the world that the show only has six regular human characters in the sprawling metropolis of [city name.] Too late, our hero realizes that this giant corporation who stands astride the world’s economy is planning on formalizing that arrangement by, well, taking over the world via hardware upgrades, in the form of the Krang chip. So he becomes a (somewhat inept) freedom fighter, trying to stop the evil corporation. He has help in this in the form of the Boyz (if you despise using z's like that, for God’s sake, flee), sentient next generation robots the protagonist made basically for a laugh, but now repurposed to fighting robots. He also has help from his 10 year old little sister, who’s frankly a lot better at this war business than he is. RM corp, meanwhile, brands him a terrorist criminal, something that is frankly very easy to do as they control the media, even aside from the protagonist running plucky SAS-style raids to blow RM poo poo up.

Other things you might want to know:

* It written a little more intelligently than you might expect. Obviously in the genre of “cartoons with toy lines of yesteryear” that’s damning with faint praise, but the evil people’s plans are often rational, if not pretty smart. Similarly the robot muppet goofball squad is capable of smart plans, as well. The show has some continuity episode to episode, so victories or setbacks often matter down the road.

* It is hard to understand. The VOs that did this show were either already established actors or actors who apparently went on to be quite accomplished. They are good and fine. It’s just that a series of decisions about how the robots are voiced makes it sometimes hard to understand what a character is saying. The ‘3A’ bots all talk like their voice is being generated by early 1980s “dragon speaks” software, except slower and more halting, with the tone and emphasis happening at random. The Boyz speak mostly like humans, but first have a “robot” filter over top their voices, and often have squeaky, high pitched voices on top of that. The very squeakiest ones are in danger of being audible only to dogs, their voices are so shrill. The soundtrack is sometimes loud, and for some goddamn reason (maybe it is a French thing) nearly all the characters refer to other characters by their initials.

What I’m saying is that the dialog can be genuinely hard to follow at times. Oh, and one of the human characters has a severe lisp.

* When you try to work out why the protagonist built X robot in the first place, you can only conclude he was crazy, or amazingly cruel to AI that are always presented as sentient, or both.

Not gonna name names at this juncture.

Anyway, the opening. Here’s a question: is it cultural appropriation if the robots are programmed to be ‘urban?’ And not just because they rap. Racist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLKYOSiW7U4

Holy poo poo I thought this show was a goddamn fever dream

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

The funniest thing about Bots Master was that the only person in the world who believed ZZ was not a terrorist was the Canadian prime minister

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
zed zed, freedom fighter

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

thank you so much for bringing botsmaster back to me

that show was the poo poo

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

RM Corp city, RM corp's own walled municipality

The Bots Master II - Adios ZZ

Hot pink, black, and aqua...boob valance? Really restrained for this tv show.

The first episode opens with a surprise! Reporters still exist! Loni Chang is doing a newscast, and tells us <city name> is a vibrant metropolis, and home to the RM Corp, the giant corporation that makes most of the world’s robots. With the development of the 3A, now robots are “drive our buses, do our laundry, build our houses, teach our children, and police our streets.” What a marvelous world the 3As have made for us!

We then see it’s Ziv “ZZ” Zulander watching this broadcast on TV, and his plot exposition reveals an underside to techno-utopia. ZZ is making a recording “in case RM Corp succeeds” to explain to future generations WTF caused that dark age of oppression. ZZ is the titular bots master, and as the protagonist we’re gonna get to know him real well, so I’ll just say he’s a science and technology genius who is pretty flawed outside of being the smartest little robotics ‘sperg. For example: he sees his genius was being exploited to evil ends by a giant corporate entity, and intends to fight back. That is good. Less good is that ZZ is narrating into his little voice recorder in his office high atop the RM building. This is our the first sign that ZZ may not be the brightest revolutionary. We get a spiel on the Krang chips, the chips that give a backdoor to RM seizing any and all 3A bots, which, once again, are the global economic foundation. ZZ says he intends to fight back, using his “Brain Operated Young Zigiotropic Zoids”, or Boyzz bots, a revolutionary type of bot that he made in his spare time so he could have some friends, but now intends to weaponize into the (ugh) ‘Boyzz Brigade’.

Steve Jobs is a bitch

And unlike Steve Jobs, Sir Louis can act nice when he wants.

We switch back to the newscast, where we meet the big bad in charge of RM: Sir Louis Leon Paradigm, (LLP to his friends). His intro is impressive, as he deploys himself on a mobile throne behind three blast doors, while dressed as a satanic catholic priest. He’s has a brief chat with Chang about maybe running for “World President”, as apparently he’d win that office “by a comfortable majority.” This broadcast is being watched intently by our two other villains, Lady Frenzy (VP, villainy) and Dr. Hiss (mad science division head.)

Paradigm likes contrast in his VPs.

Their gloating over LLP being a Genius is interrupted by a phone call which enrages Hiss. He shouts at Frenzy “Ziv Zulander found out everything - that twit in a lab coat could ruin us!”.

"Remember kidsssss, the sssssulfer chemestry of FOOF should not be explored while tripping on Bath Sssssaltssss."

Dr. Hiss's cyborg attachments in his chest sorta look like he's wearing a weird T-shirt with cyborg attachments printed on it.

We switch back to ZZ and he’s just finished saying he hopes to blow up the krang chip factories before RM clocks Zulander is onto his plan and sics a bunch of security bots on him. A robot cockroach, the first Boyzz (again, ugh) we see, melts his way through ZZ’s metal door and surprises ZZ. Swang, the robot cockroach, warns ZZ that RM knows Zulander is onto his plan and is sic’ing bunch of security bots on him. ZZ legs it. (Swang must have been an early boyzz expernment - it speaks in R2-D2-like gibberish that ZZ none the less understands. Functionally, it serves as a scout and a useful distraction.)

In its own way, this .gif is a condemnation of the future by itself. Note that Ziv wears his own initials. I imagine Elon Musk does that.

Decontented Geth, I think

Dr. Hiss and Lady Frenzy have relocated to the security center (which is super-luxurious in that there are actual humans manning the consoles there.) Hiss just wants Zulander neutralized; Frenzy wants him captured alive as she believes she can convince him to rejoin the choir. Once the security sweep starts, both go to report to Sir Paradigm.

Meanwhile, our heroic revolutionary is making his way out of the labrintine RM building (which looks like the World Trade Center squared; four towers instead of two, with the spaces in between glassed in with crisscrossing ped walkways) and while on one of those pedestrian bridges is surrounded on both ends by security bots. ZZ is saved by his cockroach, which imitates his “biosignature” and hops into the mob of security, which causes the security bots to open fire on themselves. Using no obvious skill, somehow ZZ manages to get out of the holocaust of exploding robots and laser blasts unscathed. Taking the elevator to the ground floor, ZZ uses his watch/cellphone to contract Jammerzz and Toolzz, who report that they’ve planted the explosives at the first Krang chip factory. ZZ then steps out of the elevator and faces at least 50 security bots who were waiting for him. He calls for backup, and his car, Twig, answers. As backup, he’s pretty good. He is a car, he can fly, and is equipped with military-grade laser cannons. After he breaks through a checkpoint, Twig drives through a 20 m tall, 50 m wide plate glass window, (no doubt killing at least a few innocent bystanders in the process) and then, 1) transforms into a robot, 2) picks up a giant globe that happens to be nearby, and 3) uses the globe to bowl over the mob of security bots (and nearly hitting ZZ in the process.) He then hoses any survivors with laser cannon fire. Twig has no fucks to give, but is, at least, effective.

I think the low tier security bot might be the Zune of robotic security.

On the other hand, the security Zune is quite enough if you are gonna do dumbshit things like escape via the elevator

In what I see as satire, robots exploding, the evisceration of dozens by plate glass, and more robots exploding was entirely missed by Chang, who was too busy fawning over her boss, one of the world's richest people.

Meanwhile Sir Louis’s interview is wrapping up, and Lady Frenzy and Dr. Hiss sprint and hobble respectively up the massive flight of stairs to Sir Louis’s desk, letting him know something is up. In Lady Frenzy’s office, our villains discuss what is to be done with the young Zulander. Dr. Hiss guesses correctly that the Krang chip factory is a likely target, while Frenzy reiterates that Zulander should be captured, not killed, as he invented the robots that got them this far. Sir Louis agrees with Hiss, saying only to use a light touch - RM doesn’t need any negative publicity.

We catch up with ZZ and Swang as they meet up with the Street Boyzz, Jammerzz and Toolzz. Toolzz and Jammerzz are construction bots, but ones with power roller-blades and laser blasters. Jammerzz has a big shoulder-cannon which is also a big hydraulic hammer; Toolzz has many arms and can actually disassemble enemy bots in combat. Anyway, this conversation happens:

Toolzz: The factory is wired and ready to blow.

ZZ: Are there people inside?

Toolzz: You didn’t ask us to check that out.

[ZZ looks to Jammerzz. Jammerzz shrugs.]

ZZ: We gotta check it out, Toolzz! Blowing up Krang chips is one thing but I don’t want to blow up innocent people in the bargain!

ZZ sends Swang in to the factory to confirm nobody’s in there - only to confront a mob of security bots. That’s not that alarming - then ZZ turns around and sees Dr. Hiss closing in a tank/truckasarus type giant assault bot. So, ZZ sets off the explosives, over Dr. Hiss’s objections of “Fool! You’ll kill us all!”

This is where I regret describing the Bots Master as a more intelligent TV show than you might expect

The explosion is huge, destroying the factory and whatever people were inside, knocking over Hiss’s battlebot and sending ZZ, Jammerzz and Toolzz, flying - up into the sky. There, Twig in his flying car form intercepts them, and they grab on and fly to safety, leaving an understandably baffled Dr. Hiss to spit and curse. The boyzz and ZZ are completely uninjured. It makes zero sense, and to double down on the stupidity, this was a concious plan on ZZ’s part, as he knew he would be 1) blown skyward, and 2) Twig’s timing would be perfect to rescue them before falling.

The boys arrive at ZZ’s mansion outside the city. We then descend into the wreck rec room of the house, where - basically all the robots from the credits are. We’ll introduce all these fucks when it matters; suffice it to say you’ve already met the bots capable of fighting in a resistance movement. The most memorable ancillary bots are T1 thru 4. They are four robot heads that sit on the rec room shelf, mostly just watching TV. The most annoying one is the pink one, who’s only reaction to literally anything (including his own vivisection in a later episode) is laughter. Flawed AI experiments are only sane explanation - who the hell would make the disembodied heads of Gilbert Godfied, Sinbad, Eeyore, and Jeb Bush to watch TV with? We also meet the RnD team of the Botsmaster, Genisix and D’Nerd. D’nerd looks and acts like a bot specifically created to help with ZZ’s homework, and for comedy reasons (I use the term loosely) likes to define words. Genisix is a science/engineering bot advanced enough to make other Boyzz - here we learned he created a bot called Birden, which mimics a bird’s behavior perfectly, by squawking loudly and flying into poo poo randomly. Which he demonstrates to ZZ by flying into him and knocking him over. This lesson on the unintentional consequences of making AI that can replicate itself is totally lost on ZZ.

Cutting through the low-grade bedlam, ZZ manages to lower the house, literally. The house is like an iceberg in that the part above the surface is only about 10% of it - and it is constructed like a gigantic screw, which on ZZ’s command twists itself into the ground, “into an old bomb shelter ZZ’s grandfather built.” With that, the mansion becomes a secret hideout. Once ZZ’s gotten these muppets to calm the gently caress down, they have a meeting, where D’Nerd points out the Corp’s next logical course of action is to, ahem, kidnap ZZ’s younger sister now living at the Corp’s elite boarding school. Zulander completely forgot about her, which he tries to disguise by saying “I almost forgot about her!”. The villains also remember ZZ’s sister exist, and plan to ambush ZZ when he shows up to collect her. Lady Frenzy says “Perfect - knowing him, making sure his little sister is same will be the first thing on his mind.” Um, no, obviously not.

Cut to - night, outside this boarding school, which has automated security somewhere between a federal prison and the Baghdad green zone. (Yeah, this society is fine, just fine.) Despite this, ZZ, Jammerzz, and Toolzz, have no problems sneaking into position and then open fire with the cry of “Laser time!” (The 3D action section of the show happens.) The boys encounter three security bots and dispatch them easily, and then somebody grabs ZZ by the belt and throws him against a wall.

This is Blitzy Zulander, the character with no nickname, and my favorite. She’s ten, but she nearly cold clocks her older brother like she was Adam Jensen. Blitzy then she informs ZZ she ordered the rest of the girls to hide in the basement “as there was going to be trouble.” Clearly the elite boarding school girls don’t gently caress wit th’ blitz.

Also like all the other human characters, Blitzy's sartorial game is tight...

Red hair, bandanna, hot pink jacket, aqua shirt with yellow/black caution print, yellow pants and legwarmers.

The police have now arrived in enormous force. We get a small demonstration of the Krang chip in action: The police, safe in their command van, order the police bots to capture Zulander; Dr. Hiss, lurking in some bushes in his 20 ft tall warbot (?) mutters about what an excellent field test this is, and orders the police bots to kill. Another fight happens - and some cheating of the police bot crowd allows a formerly massive force to be crushed by a falling wall pushed by the street boyz. Then, bot choppers attack, firing comically ineffective missiles. In an even more goofball maneuver, ZZ takes off his boots, bitches that they are his favorite boots to Blitzy for some goddamn reason, and the lightly throws them hundreds of feet into the air. There, the “bio-signature” the boots causes the bot-copters hovering overhead to target the boots instead of the bots, who use this distraction to naturally shoot down all the heli-bots. (The fuckups in this scene make me think these were supposed to be tiny helicopter drones - I mean that missile explodes with less force than an M-80, but this was lost due to laser time?) Anyway, Twig extracts them. Dr. Hiss tries to engage in his oppression mech, but ZZ just blows dust into Dr Hiss’s face with Twig’s engines. Game over! (IE the 3d section is over)

Unless it is a smoke missile, it is a lovely missile.

I don't know - maybe this is a reference to a classical painting? Would a French kid get it?

Blitzy's responce to ZZ's sadness over his boots is to stare at him and say nothing, which is the correct response.

Dr. Hiss and his terrormech.

So back at the ranch, ZZ fills Blitzy in on what’s going on. “I’ll fight, even if I only have a chance in a million!” ZZ tells her. She responds like General Patton: “I’m with ya, ZZ! We can beat Paradigm and his geeks. We just gotta be smarter than them! We’ll hit ‘em fast and hard, sabotage ‘em, strike fear in their hearts!” Genesix agrees, saying that the vast resources in the hideout will allow them to construct whatever kind of war machine they want. Blitzy drags Genesix off saying it’s the start of a beautiful friendship. The End

Winner: Dr. Hiss. His anticipation of the attack on the Krang chip plant allowed him to surprise ZZ to the point he basically killed himself, only living through the factory explosion thanks to plot armor and some physics that isn’t so much cartoon as just wrong. I’m not sure if Dr. Hiss is going to be declared the winner often, but he beats the hell out of Ziv “walked into four ambushes on a single day” Zulander

Nebakenezzer has issued a correction as of 22:33 on Feb 18, 2018

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The corporation rewriting the successful communist faction into an Orwellian nightmare at the insistence of a very loud subset of fans of the fascist empire is just too on the nose

A lot of said fascists are really mad that GW started progressing the story again and the Imperium has been implementing reforms. Apparently the Imperium and Eldar are formally allied now (with the adeptus mechanicus secretly striking deals with the dark eldar).

EDIT: As someone who grew up reading and loving the Wh40k books like Gaunts Ghosts (and generally anything by Dan Abnett) and Caiphas Cain my view is going to be very different than say; someone who just drowned themselves in SPACE MARINES from the get go because those books regularly criticize the imperium

Venom Snake has issued a correction as of 22:23 on Feb 18, 2018

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Venom Snake posted:

A lot of said fascists are really mad that GW started progressing the story again and the Imperium has been implementing reforms. Apparently the Imperium and Eldar are formally allied now (with the adeptus mechanicus secretly striking deals with the dark eldar).

TBF, it does kind of feel like they're trying to soften the image of the setting and have more distinctly good and evil factions, which really doesn't seem right given what the setting is.

It just doesn't really feel like 40k if they don't take at least three times as many steps back as they take forward.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

MizPiz posted:

TBF, it does kind of feel like they're trying to soften the image of the setting and have more distinctly good and evil factions, which really doesn't seem right given what the setting is.

It just doesn't really feel like 40k if they don't take at least three times as many steps back as they take forward.

Thats the thing though. Model sales are waaaaay down and I think GW has realized banking on the same story never changing for multiple decades doesn't actually make for long term success so they are just throwing whatever at the wall and seeing what sticks. The Imperium going through a reformation period to become Less poo poo is really all they got at this point to introduce new units and keep the story going.

Most of the new alliances make sense at least in some way. The Dark Eldar helping the mechanicus because if chaos wins the DE are hosed

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

It would be super Warhams for things to get a bit better before the Tyranids eat everything though

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
ultimately thats the issue with Warhammer; none of the factions can ever win because then there would be no game

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Venom Snake posted:

Thats the thing though. Model sales are waaaaay down and I think GW has realized banking on the same story never changing for multiple decades doesn't actually make for long term success so they are just throwing whatever at the wall and seeing what sticks. The Imperium going through a reformation period to become Less poo poo is really all they got at this point to introduce new units and keep the story going.

Most of the new alliances make sense at least in some way. The Dark Eldar helping the mechanicus because if chaos wins the DE are hosed

Oh no, I understand why GW is going in this direction and will say it's one of the smarter business decisions they've made in the last couple decades (damning with faint praise), but there's just something off about taking a setting that boils down to "take inspiration from/imitate/basically plagiarize the most horrifying parts of fiction, history, and mythology and make it worse" and reshape it into something that follows more mainstream conventions. For instance, the Imperium, a reprehensible authoritarian-theocracy with literally no redeeming qualities, is now being cast in a more anti-heroic light without any real change to the established canon, at least from what I can tell.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Is it the Imperium at large or individual humans? Like if some Marines commander is a good dude ok, but if they start portraying the Lords of Terra as antiheroic hard men making hard decisions instead of clearly a bunch of self serving shitbrains actively making everything worse, that's pretty hosed up

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Lightning Lord posted:

Is it the Imperium at large or individual humans? Like if some Marines commander is a good dude ok, but if they start portraying the Lords of Terra as antiheroic hard men making hard decisions instead of clearly a bunch of self serving shitbrains actively making everything worse, that's pretty hosed up

It seems like GW is trying to reform or reboot the Imperium, but they haven't quite crossed that threshold yet. Papa Smurf's plan still has the potential to make things worse than how they were, but given what happened to Age of Sigmar and what would make more sense if you're trying to get more mainstream appeal I'm not holding my breath.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

MizPiz posted:

It seems like GW is trying to reform or reboot the Imperium, but they haven't quite crossed that threshold yet. Papa Smurf's plan still has the potential to make things worse than how they were, but given what happened to Age of Sigmar and what would make more sense if you're trying to get more mainstream appeal I'm not holding my breath.

The more important question is this: Is everything still covered in skulls?

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Warhammer 40k only works as a setting for comic books and Death Metal albums. Updating the "cannon" to be less allegorical satire and more standard sci-fi seems like superhero-comics style desperation.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lightning Lord posted:

they did a set of short novels in 2016 set in the early imperium, ~32k that was great for this sort of thing: the biggest ork invasion anyone could even conceive of sweeps the galaxy, and the High Lords are way too busy trying to one-up each other or finagle some way for their faction to come out ahead of the others to actually do something about the orks, as an ork deathstar station hangs in earth orbit. the whole thing culminates in the extermination of almost every high lord by the grand master of the imperial assassins, an event that's been called the Beheading in the fluff for a long time but only got the full prose treatment with these books

there's a similar strain in the stories about guilliman struggling to reform the imperium. one of the issues he has to deal with is that he ordered the adeptus custodes, the emperor's most elite of elite posthuman guardians, out into the galaxy to start kicking rear end now that it looks like the apocalypse is nigh after they spent the last 10k years moping around the imperial palace, and there's enormous levels of resentment among the custodes both at the fact that someone in the imperial hierarchy can order them around now, and that his first order to them was "get off your asses and DO SOMETHING"

Captain_Maclaine posted:

The more important question is this: Is everything still covered in skulls?

if anything the more recent models are skullier than ever

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Warhammer 40k only works as a setting for comic books and Death Metal albums. Updating the "cannon" to be less allegorical satire and more standard sci-fi seems like superhero-comics style desperation.

oh, there's no question, that's precisely what it is

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lightning Lord posted:

It's weird because there are plenty of places in the Imperium where life is kinda normal and not super lovely but those typically get an off-hand mention or if they show up in the story is after being turned into a hellhole. Books about the Imperial Guard usually portray high command as incompetent and corrupt or just uncaring about the lives of the average soldier. The only real fluff that gets into hero worship "insert here did nothing wrong" is space marine related poo poo. The Eisenhorn and Ravenor series of books probably contain the best protrayel of 40k that has nothing to do with actual war while offering harsh criticism of the way the Imperium does things

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i only know the spottiest bots and pieces about war hanmer 40 thousand, but are there still bird people who can absorb traits from an animal by eating a lot of it

have any of them eaten a bunch of space-marines and become swolebirds

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Squizzle posted:

i only know the spottiest bots and pieces about war hanmer 40 thousand, but are there still bird people who can absorb traits from an animal by eating a lot of it

have any of them eaten a bunch of space-marines and become swolebirds

I think you might be thinking of the Slaan? They were poorly developed in the early WH/WH40k canon and then sorta disappeared for a while, before reappearing in the mid-2000s as part of the Lizardmen faction in fantasy WH, if memory serves.

zeal posted:

they did a set of short novels in 2016 set in the early imperium, ~32k that was great for this sort of thing: the biggest ork invasion anyone could even conceive of sweeps the galaxy, and the High Lords are way too busy trying to one-up each other or finagle some way for their faction to come out ahead of the others to actually do something about the orks, as an ork deathstar station hangs in earth orbit. the whole thing culminates in the extermination of almost every high lord by the grand master of the imperial assassins, an event that's been called the Beheading in the fluff for a long time but only got the full prose treatment with these books

Isn't that the one in which the Orks haven't yet devolved into the beloved punchline they are these days, and the brainboyz (or whatever they're called these days) consider the Imperium to be a bunch of backward morons?

quote:

if anything the more recent models are skullier than ever

Oh thank heavens.

Captain_Maclaine has issued a correction as of 19:52 on Feb 19, 2018

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I think you might be thinking of the Slaan? They were poorly developed in the early WH/WH40k canon and then sorta disappeared for a while, before reappearing in the mid-2000s as part of the Lizardmen faction in fantasy WH, if memory serves.

Naw, He's talking about the Kroot, and they're still around as far as I know

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Tardcore posted:

Naw, He's talking about the Kroot, and they're still around as far as I know

Oh, right. Forgot about those guys since the Tau showed up after I'd decided I'd wasted too much time and money on this sinkhole hobby to bother keeping up sorta drifted away from Warhammer.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

obligatory "magneto did nothing wrong"

<---- and neither did she

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Isn't that the one in which the Orks haven't yet devolved into the beloved punchline they are these days, and the brainboyz (or whatever they're called these days) consider the Imperium to be a bunch of backward morons?

The idea was that the imperium grew complacent in the second millenium after the heresy war, while the inquisition was a disorganized mess not yet aligned into distinct orders, which allowed a splinter of the biggest ork empire defeated during the great crusade to metastasize over the course of ~fifteen centuries into a waaagh of a scale not seen again until the hordes of the Ghazkull in the 'present' of the setting. the orks of the Beast Arises era (the prime ork is called the beast, but also uses the same title Ghazkull adopts ~8k years later, 'mag uruk thraka'/'i am slaughter') achieve sufficient orkmass to start producing new varieties of ork and generating new kinds of orktech never seen before by the imperium, and encountered only intermittently after. at one point the High Lords are confronted by ork ambassadors from the attack moon in Earth orbit who can speak perfect Gothic and treat the humans with disdain. the ecclesiarch of the time is actually convinced that the Beast is the true god of the galaxy by the events of the war, and starts altering the imperial faith's liturgy to venerate the orks before he's assassinated.

there's also a neat little bit in one of those of an adeptus mechanicus priest performing an autopsy on an ork warrior, who starts to discover how ork runs on the belief of the orks themselves

tbh i'd rather they'd gone with more deep dives into the history of the imperium than advancing the timeline as they've done, there's a lot of room to explore interesting things in the setting without going all the way back to the horus heresy

• Locked thread