Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

the only good transformers is beast wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Terror Sweat posted:

It was made by the reboot people so that doesn't surprise me

Transformers Animated is also P. Good

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Terror Sweat posted:

I thought Transformers: Prime was pretty good, especially as it brought back Peter Cullen and Frank Welker in their respective voice roles (with Jeffery Combs voicing Rachet as a bonus).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I thought Transformers: Prime was pretty good, especially as it brought back Peter Cullen and Frank Welker in their respective voice roles (with Jeffery Combs voicing Rachet as a bonus).

aw man i love jeffrey combs

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

LastInLine posted:

:fist bump:

To me he will always be Weyoun and like three other characters on Star Trek: Deep Space 9

:same:

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

if GW want to advance the 40k setting then just do the one good thing from End Times and consolidate factions. Just say gently caress it, the Eldar gods return and say everyone has to work together now, and you can field mixed eldar/dark eldar armies as one unified faction.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

LastInLine posted:

Clancy Brown has a recurring role too as a secondary antagonist.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

if GW want to advance the 40k setting then just do the one good thing from End Times and consolidate factions. Just say gently caress it, the Eldar gods return and say everyone has to work together now, and you can field mixed eldar/dark eldar armies as one unified faction.

they did that, they finally pulled the trigger on the creation of an eldar god of the dead, ynnead. it was part of the chain of events that brought guilliman back

e: and now you can run armies pulled from all the different space elf factions, ostensibly brought together to serve the new god and its prophet, a lady elf with a psychic cat familiar

1994 Toyota Celica has issued a correction as of 18:33 on Feb 20, 2018

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

zeal posted:

'mag uruk thraka'/'i am slaughter')

margret thatcher

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Whorelord posted:

margret thatcher

yup

zeal posted:

my favorite bit about 40k is that the biggest baddest ork warboss in the galaxy is named after margaret thatcher

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

zeal posted:

they did that, they finally pulled the trigger on the creation of an eldar god of the dead, ynnead. it was part of the chain of events that brought guilliman back

e: and now you can run armies pulled from all the different space elf factions, ostensibly brought together to serve the new god and its prophet, a lady elf with a psychic cat familiar

I’m saying give dark eldar the tomb kings treatment. Retire the entire faction from the setting, kill off some special characters, roll them into the Eldar proper rather than just adding another eldar faction

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
tomb kings ruled though

love them mummies

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I’m saying give dark eldar the tomb kings treatment. Retire the entire faction from the setting, kill off some special characters, roll them into the Eldar proper rather than just adding another eldar faction

you mean like the dark templar protoss in starcraft?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

zeal posted:

tomb kings ruled though

love them mummies

mummies are the best classic horror monster type

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Prav posted:

you mean like the dark templar protoss in starcraft?

I never played Starcraft so idk

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I never played Starcraft so idk

An awful lot of Starcraft is WH40k reskinned, and de-skulled.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Please rename thread CSPAM for 30 year old shutins, which I guess is redundant but whatever.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

General Dog posted:

Please rename thread CSPAM for 30 year old shutins, which I guess is redundant but whatever.

CSPAM for Scrunts - Necrons did nothing wrong

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCTp7N3dSP4

i think this is the equal magnitude opposite polarity of cspam

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
When I was a kid, there were these series of educational cartoon telling the story of mankind and science and stuff. I'm sure if I rewatched them now I'd notice all kind of innacuracies and bias and poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoC-sV1KmXA

Like, here's this series on explorers that totally skips ove rhow much of a genocidal slaver Columbus was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyDZUe_12ZM

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Actually, let's go further. One of the most nostalgic cartoons among my generation in Quebec, fondly remembered, is Les Mystérieuses CItés d'Or, the story of a kid trying to find the secret Cities of Gold in the New World during the time of conquest, complete with Francisco Pizarro as a supporting character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ki99YBVKyw

It's surprisingly good, and I remember they often had small videos about South American culture and history after episodes.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Captain_Maclaine posted:

warcraft/starcraft were supposed to be warhammer fantasy/40k games until GW got pissy with their IP halfway into development and asked for more money. blizzard told them to gently caress off and made their own universe instead

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cZqRzHnI8s

Ralph bakshi was cool as hell. This is probably the best wizard duel ever put to film. Harry Potter would have been a million times better if it just ended like this

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Terror Sweat posted:

Ralph bakshi was cool as hell. This is probably the best wizard duel ever put to film. Harry Potter would have been a million times better if it just ended like this

haha, amazing

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Terror Sweat posted:

rowling has said in interviews that one guy with a shotgun could probably end most of the wizard battles in her books

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

"What do Muggles have that we should fear them?"
"Nuclear weapons."

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

zeal posted:

rowling has said in interviews that one guy with a shotgun could probably end most of the wizard battles in her books

I remember thinking that the British government could have put an end to Voldemort's little coup very quickly. But I'm sure that there's a good reason why nobody even considers asking. Wizards sure got a sweet deal, they stay hidden and undisturbed [even when their stupid feuds threaten the rest of the world apparently] and they have to give nothing in exchange. I can only assume the government allows it out of post-colonial liberal guilt

[disclaimer: have only watched the movies, about half of them, out of sequence]

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
The wizarding government holds a heavy boot on the necks of all non-human yet intelligent beings. It’s directly stated that the wizard cop organization that Harry Potter eventually joins was responsible for genociding most of the giants. You could write an edgelord fanfic about a Wizard cop hired to assassinate goblins to leverage control of their gold backed banking system and that might as well be semi canon.

And above all this the system of power is passed off with, “Well it’s not perfect...”. Heck Hermione even only becomes an incremental liberal reformer who doesn’t even get to solve the whole house elf slavery deal, which is apparently the extent of Rowling’s imagination in a universe she controls.

Dr. Killjoy has issued a correction as of 02:51 on Feb 22, 2018

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I've never read Harry Potter and I've only seen the first movie, but the more I hear about it the more I'm convinced that it's Dan Brown levels of loving stupid.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
even as a kid reading the later books it was like, why exactly would anyone want to preserve this authoritarian shadow government that spends all its time oppressing non-humans

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Dr. Killjoy posted:

The wizarding government holds a heavy boot on the necks of all non-human yet intelligent beings. It’s directly stated that the wizard cop organization that Harry Potter eventually joins was responsible for genociding most of the giants. You could write an edgelord fanfic about a Wizard cop hired to assassinate goblins to leverage control of their gold backed banking system and that might as well be semi canon.

I don't remember that in the movies, it might have been cut and I can think of several reasons why. All I remember is that creepy house-elf (JFC it's not even subtle) who hit himself every time he made a mistake

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So what Disney animated feature do the conservatives hate the most

The Hunchback of Nortre Dame has the villain Frollo (the late, great Tony Jay) as a racist authoritarian who wants to hide his jungle fever by murdering gypsies and only knows religion as a exercise in hypocrisy

Wall E seems to imply the market doesn't literally solve all problems

Mulan caused literally all the gender chaos we see today

Nebakenezzer has issued a correction as of 15:23 on Feb 23, 2018

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Nebakenezzer posted:

So what Disney animated feature to the conservatives hate the most

The Hunchback of Nortre Dame has the villain Frollo (the late, great Tony Jay) as a racist authoritarian who wants to hide his jungle fever by murdering gypsies and only knows religion as a exercise in hypocrisy

Probably princess and the frog because BLACK PEOPLE

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Nebakenezzer posted:

So what Disney animated feature to the conservatives hate the most

i'm going with pocohontas because that's what president good brains shouts at elizabeth warren

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Captain_Maclaine posted:

So with the good parts taken out then

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Nebakenezzer posted:

Didn't lumbering homunculus and equine fancier Mike Pence write a long diatribe about how Mulan was dangerous because it promoted the subversive idea that women can do things, or am I thinking of someone else?

rudatron posted:

So with the good parts taken out then

They also failed to make the red onez go fasta.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Didn't lumbering homunculus and equine fancier Mike Pence write a long diatribe about how Mulan was dangerous because it promoted the subversive idea that women can do things, or am I thinking of someone else?

haha, yep: https://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/mister-ill-make-a-man-out-of-you?utm_term=.adV6Maj3jk#.orNaoz3r3Y

quote:

The only problem with this liberal hope is the reality which intrudes on the Disney ideal from the mornings headlines. From the original "Tailhook" scandal involving scores of high ranking navy fighter pilots who molested subordinate women to the latest travesty at Aberdeen Proving Grounds, the hard truth of our experiment with gender integration is that is has been an almost complete disaster for the military and for many of the individual women involved. When Indiana Congressman Steve Buyer was appointed to investigate the Aberdeen mess, he shocked the public with the revelation that young, nubile, 18 year old men and women were actually being HOUSED together during basic training. Whatever bone head came up with this idea should be run out of this man's Army before sundown. Housing, in close quarters, young men and women (in some cases married to non-military personnel) at the height of their physical and sexual potential is the height of stupidity.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Nebakenezzer posted:

The market preserved the human race in space and created robots that successfully cleaned the earth to the point it could sustain life again. The system worked!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

General Dog posted:

The market preserved the human race in space and created robots that successfully cleaned the earth to the point it could sustain life again. The system worked!

But the unregulated market created the problem in the first place

or is that the joke

• Locked thread