Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Hello everyone and welcome to Showdown in the Shadow of the Colossus. Where Youtuber/SA poster RandomNinja and I go head to head to take on the sixteen Colossi in the newly remastered Shadow of the Colossus.

While RandomNinja has some experinece of this game, I am going into it pretty much completely blind. Besides the name of the Colossi and images that I might have seen I know little to nothing about the fights, the mechanics, and even the design of the various Colossi.

Both of us did our own recordings and we mashed them together and provide post commentary about our runs, the game itself, and anything else that might come up as the conversation goes.

We do hope that everyone enjoys this series, both of us seem to really enjoy making it so far and it is only the first episode!

Latest Update

Why do a game even remastered, that came out in 2005?
Personally I can see the merit of this question as it will probably be asked, and the answer that is because I have never played/seen this game before. I am going into this with completely fresh eyes to the world and the characters within it. I also thought by doing it as a head to head competition, not only would it add a dynamic element to the commentary by adding RandomNinja, but it also gives us both a reason to try even harder to get our best times possible.

Why only the first Colossus in the first episode?
I am pretty new to the co-commentary thing on youtube so we decided to only do the first Colossus just as a test run, as well as to keep the length of the video to a decent time. Depending on the time it takes to do the other Colossi, we will either be doing only 1 or 2, as well as we plan on trying to post at least twice a week.

Table of Contents

ArknknuckleRpg fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018
Reserved just in case

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018
Episode 1

Here is the episode to kick off the series with us taking on the first Colossus; The club weilding Valus

ArknknuckleRpg fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Mar 3, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
This looks like it'll be a fun one. You guys have a good spin on it because straight SotC LPs have already been done to death in the 10+ years since the original came out anyway. It's also a good game to done one of these "rookie vs. veteran" competitions on because it has a tendency to find new and interesting ways to gently caress over even people who know what they're doing with it.

And honestly, I think there's enough content there to just do one colossus per video, but that's just how I'd approach it. You guys can figure out what works best for you.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

nine-gear crow posted:

This looks like it'll be a fun one. You guys have a good spin on it because straight SotC LPs have already been done to death in the 10+ years since the original came out anyway. It's also a good game to done one of these "rookie vs. veteran" competitions on because it has a tendency to find new and interesting ways to gently caress over even people who know what they're doing with it.

And honestly, I think there's enough content there to just do one colossus per video, but that's just how I'd approach it. You guys can figure out what works best for you.

Thank you! We thought it would be a neat idea to do since it is such a popular but also very played game. We weren’t sure yet how we were going to do it as this is just the first episode but I’m glad at least 1 person likes the format we were doing

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah it's an interesting take. I'll be following along to see you get better than your practiced cocommentator.

BTW don't forget to announce your LP in the new LP thread.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Carbon dioxide posted:

Yeah it's an interesting take. I'll be following along to see you get better than your practiced cocommentator.

BTW don't forget to announce your LP in the new LP thread.

Haha I will try my best to outdo him. And thanks for the heads up I did post it in the new lp thread

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I've been looking forward to see a prettified version of this game for years.

Like the idea of newcomer versus old hand, too. Not many games that would work for, but for this one it should turn out great given how much you need to work out to kill some of them.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Gorilla Salad posted:

I've been looking forward to see a prettified version of this game for years.

Like the idea of newcomer versus old hand, too. Not many games that would work for, but for this one it should turn out great given how much you need to work out to kill some of them.

Yea both of us thought it would be a neat idea since the game is just boss fight after boss fight without much inbetween and we are looking forward to doing it. You will have to bear with me though since I am going into this without knowledge of the fights

ArknknuckleRpg fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 14, 2018

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

In this episode RandomNinja and I take the bull by the horns as we tackle our first quadraped titan, Aply named Quadratus, we also discuss some of the buzz that is going around for Shadow of the Colossus, we even discuss Fallout and Skyrim. Be sure to tune in on Saturday as well when we take on the pillar weilding Gaius.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Okay. Hold up. :mad:

Neither of you did the "stand your ground" tactic against Quadratus? You each could have shaved a solid minute off your time if you pulled that off.

Shameful.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

nine-gear crow posted:

Okay. Hold up. :mad:

Neither of you did the "stand your ground" tactic against Quadratus? You each could have shaved a solid minute off your time if you pulled that off.

Shameful.

My excuse is that I have no idea what that is and I can’t speak for Ninja soooooo hahaha

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
If you stand still in front oh him he will raise his front legs to stomp you. The glowy bits are clearly visible then.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Then you just stand there with the sword raised over your head, naturally.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Gorilla Salad posted:

Then you just stand there with the sword raised over your head, naturally.

I see well good to know. Not that it matters now :) thank you for letting us know

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

RandomNinja briefly getting lost made me think of something: how are you going to handle some of the longer journeys to colossi? There're a few trips that might make you wander around in circles for a bit before you finally find your way.

Gotta say I'm really enjoying this so far. Can't wait to see some of the later colossi; there's one in particular that annoys me a whole lot.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

liquidypoo posted:

RandomNinja briefly getting lost made me think of something: how are you going to handle some of the longer journeys to colossi? There're a few trips that might make you wander around in circles for a bit before you finally find your way.

Gotta say I'm really enjoying this so far. Can't wait to see some of the later colossi; there's one in particular that annoys me a whole lot.

Ummm I’m not sure about the travel yet, since we are primarily showing my travel I will edit it so that it is primarily a straight shot to the colossus.

Also thank you so much for watching and we are glad that you are enjoying it. Be sure to tune in tomorrow our gaius episode should be going up then

RandomNinja
Sep 14, 2011

Protector of the innocent, assassin of the unjust, and a lover of delicious, sweet, creamy Ice cream.

liquidypoo posted:

RandomNinja briefly getting lost [sic]

I'll have you know I did not get lost. It was a tactical decision to lure Quadratus in to a false sense of security :colbert:

I feel like I need to add a disclaimer to my runs. I've played the game before, but I'm far from an expert. These early Colossi I've done several times, so I'm running off muscle memory. Later ones I'll be looking up strategies to execute, so I should be less of a disappointment then.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

RandomNinja posted:

Later ones I'll be looking up strategies to execute, so I should be less of a disappointment then.

Yea I gotta do it blind so I can make him look good haha

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ArknknuckleRpg posted:

I see well good to know. Not that it matters now :) thank you for letting us know

For what it’s worth, the hint to do it is incredibly vague and comes in Dormin’s little introductory blurb in the temple. “Raise thy courage to defeat it”—it could mean anything when you hear it, and yet it explicitly means “STAND IN FRONT OF IT AND GOAD IT INTO STOMPING YOU!!” Yes, thanks Dormin, you clod.

That’s kind of the hilarious part about the game: Dormin offers a lot of useful advice to you, just in the most vague and unhelpful manner possible. It’s another aspect of their layers of duality as a character. Helping you and being a dick aren’t mutually exclusive to Dormin.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

nine-gear crow posted:

For what it’s worth, the hint to do it is incredibly vague and comes in Dormin’s little introductory blurb in the temple. “Raise thy courage to defeat it”—it could mean anything when you hear it, and yet it explicitly means “STAND IN FRONT OF IT AND GOAD IT INTO STOMPING YOU!!” Yes, thanks Dormin, you clod.

That’s kind of the hilarious part about the game: Dormin offers a lot of useful advice to you, just in the most vague and unhelpful manner possible. It’s another aspect of their layers of duality as a character. Helping you and being a dick aren’t mutually exclusive to Dormin.

It’s funny you mention that because I just did my gaius recording and I tried climbing up and was blocked since he didn’t smash the metal plate and after I figured out that’s what I had to do and I start climbing again THEN Dormin tells me how to do it :doh:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just a little hint regarding Agro; it helps a lot if you treat her like a real horse. Agro can navigate environments independently a lot of the time so you rarely need to "steer" her in narrow areas or footpaths. She will also maintain her gallop and avoid obstacles if you're aiming your bow while you ride her so you won't have to worry about it while you do that. She requires little encouragement to move at full speed, once she hits full gallop she'll keep on going unless she hits a tricky area or you steer her and even then it only takes a few taps of the "move" button to keep her going.

Also if you pull back on the stick and hit the "move" button she'll rear and start at full gallop if you're stationary while you do it. You can also stop her dead on her tracks if you do the same while moving. And double tapping the "move" button while doing that will make her do a 180.

Agro gets a lot of hate but once you realize she's not just a vehicle she's pretty awesome and by far my favorite horse in any game ever.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Stare-Out posted:

Just a little hint regarding Agro; it helps a lot if you treat her like a real horse. Agro can navigate environments independently a lot of the time so you rarely need to "steer" her in narrow areas or footpaths. She will also maintain her gallop and avoid obstacles if you're aiming your bow while you ride her so you won't have to worry about it while you do that. She requires little encouragement to move at full speed, once she hits full gallop she'll keep on going unless she hits a tricky area or you steer her and even then it only takes a few taps of the "move" button to keep her going.

Also if you pull back on the stick and hit the "move" button she'll rear and start at full gallop if you're stationary while you do it. You can also stop her dead on her tracks if you do the same while moving. And double tapping the "move" button while doing that will make her do a 180.

Agro gets a lot of hate but once you realize she's not just a vehicle she's pretty awesome and by far my favorite horse in any game ever.

That’s quite a lot of info haha. I did know about the self steering portion the rest I hadn’t figured out yet. Honestly though I suck at any kind of horseback fighting weather it’s this game or Breath of the Wild

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It's not a huge part of the game but knowing what Agro can and can't do goes a long way in a couple of the Colossus fights for sure.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Stare-Out posted:

It's not a huge part of the game but knowing what Agro can and can't do goes a long way in a couple of the Colossus fights for sure.

Oh I’m sure. I will just have to see

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

nine-gear crow posted:

Really? I was actually just making a joke when I said to stand under it with your sword raised to stab it in the foot as it stomps on you.

Because, who would do that?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gorilla Salad posted:

Really? I was actually just making a joke when I said to stand under it with your sword raised to stab it in the foot as it stomps on you.

It's a really clever thing, all told. Yeah, the second the fight starts you charge towards it, hop off Agro, whip out the sword and use to reveal all its vitals, then when it rears up to try and stomp you, you pull out the bow and shoot it in one of its feet before it actually comes down on you. You have like a 10 second window to pull it off, so it's incredibly doable.

That's the preferred Time Attack/speedrun tactic for Quadratus.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

nine-gear crow posted:

It's a really clever thing, all told. Yeah, the second the fight starts you charge towards it, hop off Agro, whip out the sword and use to reveal all its vitals, then when it rears up to try and stomp you, you pull out the bow and shoot it in one of its feet before it actually comes down on you. You have like a 10 second window to pull it off, so it's incredibly doable.

That's the preferred Time Attack/speedrun tactic for Quadratus.

That would have been cool to have in our runs sorry that we didn't do that!

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Watch as RandomNinja and I (mostly me) struggle with the Sword Weilding behemoth, Gaius. We also start counting the number of falls each of us has. Finally, we need your guys' opinion on whether or not one of RandomNinja's fall is actually a fall.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ArknknuckleRpg posted:

That would have been cool to have in our runs sorry that we didn't do that!

I tried to record it like three times last night as a bonus video, but my capture card ate the footage of it every bloody time, so I just gave up. I might take another run at it tonight.

Each colossus has some really great obscure time-saving tactics that you can exploit. A really neat one is if you whistle to call Agro when you run after Valus to get to his ankle, he'll stop dead and actually turn around to face you to see what made the noise. Again, it cuts about a solid 10 seconds worth of chasing him across the valley off of your time if you're going for a Time Attack run.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
That wasn't a fall. It was clearly intentional. He was getting off to try again another way

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

Yeah, it was a real tip. As for who would do that, a good thing to do in all colossus fight if you're stuck is to analyse all of their possible attacks. More often than not they will be important for the fight itself or give you hints. Most colossi have a stomp move.

Dormin's hints are a mixed bag. That one is actually pretty clever. Some are just garbage.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Slaan posted:

That wasn't a fall. It was clearly intentional. He was getting off to try again another way

Booooooo lol. I know it was intentional my criteria that I was going for a fall was that we were on the colossus and then we were not on the colossus but I even debated about it with myself

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Frionnel posted:

Dormin's hints are a mixed bag. That one is actually pretty clever. Some are just garbage.

Like how he tells me to smash gaius’ armor AFTER I’ve already done it? Haha

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

There is a quicker way of swimming; if you press the grab button to dive underwater, Wander will swim quite a lot faster than regular swimming.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

ArknknuckleRpg posted:

Like how he tells me to smash gaius’ armor AFTER I’ve already done it? Haha

Well, the hint was good, just had unfortunate timing :v:

Also, that was totally a fall.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Stare-Out posted:

There is a quicker way of swimming; if you press the grab button to dive underwater, Wander will swim quite a lot faster than regular swimming.

oh really? Thanks for the tip!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Most importantly, it's one colossus, two colossi. You keep using 'colossi' as if it's the singular.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Carbon dioxide posted:

Most importantly, it's one colossus, two colossi. You keep using 'colossi' as if it's the singular.

Have I been? Oops I'll work on that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Come watch as I take my first win against RandomNinja as we go up against the deer with a fumanchu; Phaedra!

• Locked thread