Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ArknknuckleRpg posted:

Come watch as I take my first win against RandomNinja as we go up against the deer with a fumanchu; Phaedra!

Maybe they're floppy fangs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I'm disappointed they changed the sound design for this one, because in the original game when you stabbed Phaedra, the fucker screamed. That first stab on Phaedra's head vital where it just lets out this high-pitched wailing screech was the first real moment I had of "oh poo poo, am I the bad guy here?" when playing the game for the first time. It was an incredibly powerful moment.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Gorilla Salad posted:

Maybe they're floppy fangs?

Bahahahaha maybe

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm disappointed they changed the sound design for this one, because in the original game when you stabbed Phaedra, the fucker screamed. That first stab on Phaedra's head vital where it just lets out this high-pitched wailing screech was the first real moment I had of "oh poo poo, am I the bad guy here?" when playing the game for the first time. It was an incredibly powerful moment.

Oh wow yea that does sound like it would be a powerful thing I wonder why they took it out

RandomNinja
Sep 14, 2011

Protector of the innocent, assassin of the unjust, and a lover of delicious, sweet, creamy Ice cream.

nine-gear crow posted:

That was your first taste? Not when you stabbed a slow, dumb giant in the calf and then the brain unto death? Shadow of the Colossus is an excellent game but it's not subtle about the fact that Wander is objectively a Bad DudeTM.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

I just had another thought come to mind: does the remake still have the jump stab? At this rate I don't even remember the old button bindings that well, but from what I remember you just need to be in midair and hold the grab and stab buttons as if you were on a colossus' back. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I could swear I remember jump stabs being the same strength as a full charge stab. You know, just without the need to charge.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It's still in the game, of course. There's even a trophy for killing a Colossus using it.

Another thing you can do is a swan dive -- if you press the "call Agro" button while falling into water, Wander will swan dive. It doesn't really make any difference other than make you look slightly cooler when plummeting into a lake.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Stare-Out posted:

It's still in the game, of course. There's even a trophy for killing a Colossus using it.

Another thing you can do is a swan dive -- if you press the "call Agro" button while falling into water, Wander will swan dive. It doesn't really make any difference other than make you look slightly cooler when plummeting into a lake.

Boy I wish I knew that for my avion fight..... lol

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Watch me lose horribly to RandomNinja as we take on our first flying colossus,; Avion. This one so far has been my favorite colossus, design wise, as well as the way you have to mount him to get his runes. Hope everyone enjoys!

savixeon
Oct 22, 2016

RandomNinja posted:

That was your first taste? Not when you stabbed a slow, dumb giant in the calf and then the brain unto death? Shadow of the Colossus is an excellent game but it's not subtle about the fact that Wander is objectively a Bad DudeTM.

I wouldn't say Wander is a bad person but yeah the game isn't that subtle about the things you're doing being bad things. It just relies on most players not realizing it immediately.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Come and watch as RandomNinja and I take on the Bearded Beastly Behemoth of Body Bashing; Barba we also compare him to kids tv shows and yugioh cards so be sure to watch out for those!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Another pro-tip, if you jump right as a Colossus smashes down with its fist or foot, you can avoid taking damage and falling down since you're in the air and all.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Stare-Out posted:

Another pro-tip, if you jump right as a Colossus smashes down with its fist or foot, you can avoid taking damage and falling down since you're in the air and all.

Oh wow that is a very helpful tip... I always tried to dodge roll i never thought about jumping.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I do somewhat wonder if it's possible to trigger some of the crazier cutscene physics freakout in the remake like you could in the original. I have fond memories of my various playthroughs in the PS2 version of landing in the exact right spot that Barba actually stepped on me in his introductory cutscene and drat near killed me.

Another one was the cutscene that reveals the lake arena where you fight Gaius. I was going so fast on Agro in the runup to that scene triggering that the gentle strings of "Lakeside" starts playing, and were punctuated by Agro going FLYING into the water because some line of code didn't trigger and he either just didn't stop, or was going so fast he couldn't stop in time and just skidded into the lake himself. And this was a consistent thing too, I did it like at least twice, to my memory.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

nine-gear crow posted:

Each colossus has some really great obscure time-saving tactics that you can exploit. A really neat one is if you whistle to call Agro when you run after Valus to get to his ankle, he'll stop dead and actually turn around to face you to see what made the noise. Again, it cuts about a solid 10 seconds worth of chasing him across the valley off of your time if you're going for a Time Attack run.

A bit late getting in (hadn't noticed the LP), but my favorite tactic is/exploit is the one where you jump directly from Gaius' sword/pillar thing onto his waist as he pulls it out of the ground. Shaves off a good minute if you somehow manage to pull it off (it's really tricky), and absolutely necessary to pass the Hard mode Time Attack.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Meaty Ore posted:

A bit late getting in (hadn't noticed the LP), but my favorite tactic is/exploit is the one where you jump directly from Gaius' sword/pillar thing onto his waist as he pulls it out of the ground. Shaves off a good minute if you somehow manage to pull it off (it's really tricky), and absolutely necessary to pass the Hard mode Time Attack.

Yea we had talked about that, I think there is a trophy for doing it as well

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Here's a pretty cool video about the flaws and triumphs of the animations in the original Shadow of the Colossus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvXD7BcL5cA

I noticed that a lot of those were tweaked to be better in the remake but it definitely still has its oddities.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Stare-Out posted:

Here's a pretty cool video about the flaws and triumphs of the animations in the original Shadow of the Colossus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvXD7BcL5cA

I noticed that a lot of those were tweaked to be better in the remake but it definitely still has its oddities.

That is pretty cool it also really shows the changes that they did with this remaster

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Come watch as we take on the worst water mechanics in any video game, as well as my least favorite colossus; Hydrus.
Also if you guys do like the video maybe share it with your friends who also might like it, get the word out! Thank you everyone who has been supporting this series so far, you guys are the best!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Normally, watching these poor guys get stabbed to death is pretty sad. But not in this case. gently caress The Ocean :colbert:

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Slaan posted:

Normally, watching these poor guys get stabbed to death is pretty sad. But not in this case. gently caress The Ocean :colbert:

Yes, yes indeed haha

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

In this episode RandomNinja and I take on the wall crawling lizard, Kuromori and we have officially hit our halfway through the series point! Thank you everyone for their comments on this series so far and be sure to stay tuned in for Saturdays episode.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Come watch as RandomNinja and I take on the Turtle(?) Colossus Basaran

Note: I know this video just has a link but I am in the process of moving and have no internet currently so I am uploading this post from my phone. I will change it later. Enjoy!

ArknknuckleRpg fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Mar 12, 2018

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I've always said it Baa-sah-ran so hearing the way you guys say it is weird.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Ibblebibble posted:

I've always said it Baa-sah-ran so hearing the way you guys say it is weird.

Haha everyone pronounces things differently

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Oh, this colossus. Whenever I think of the monsters in this game, I can never remember Basaran.

It's not bad, it's just doesn't inspire me the way most of the others do.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Gorilla Salad posted:

Oh, this colossus. Whenever I think of the monsters in this game, I can never remember Basaran.

It's not bad, it's just doesn't inspire me the way most of the others do.

I actually really liked basaran, so far Dirge is the only one that I find very forgettable

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Dirge is memorable only because every goddamn monster game has sandworms.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

In this episode we hit the double digits in fight against the sand serpent Dirge, who probably has the least interesting name in my opinion.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

In this episode RandomNinja and I take on a trial by fire with the Kitty Cat Colossus, Celosia.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
The way the torch goes out as soon as you pick it up always felt really lovely to me.

It's like the game is saying, don't worry about that flame you saw a few seconds ago, it was just there so you'd see the stick fall. You actually need to go do something else with this glowing stick.

Then you get smacked in the face a bunch.

But, for a first time through, I'd say you did pretty well. As always, 90% of the work in this game is figuring out the gimmick.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Gorilla Salad posted:

The way the torch goes out as soon as you pick it up always felt really lovely to me.

It's like the game is saying, don't worry about that flame you saw a few seconds ago, it was just there so you'd see the stick fall. You actually need to go do something else with this glowing stick.

Then you get smacked in the face a bunch.

But, for a first time through, I'd say you did pretty well. As always, 90% of the work in this game is figuring out the gimmick.

And sometimes the gimmick takes forever to figure out >.> haha

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Hmm, I think this guy was far more of a boar. While it did swipe like a cat sometimes, it mostly charged and head butted. Plus, there was no mane and the build was far more solid than sleek

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Slaan posted:

Hmm, I think this guy was far more of a boar. While it did swipe like a cat sometimes, it mostly charged and head butted. Plus, there was no mane and the build was far more solid than sleek

Yea I’ll give you that. We weren’t really sure what to call it haha

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

In this Episode we take the bull by its horns and take on our worst colossus yet: Pelagia

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
I never had much trouble with Pelagia in the original actually. On the other hand i always had massive issues with Phaedra (it's still my least favorite colossus because of that) and you killed that one super easily! Weird :v:

I do agree, playing this again, that Pelagia is not a very well designed fight.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Frionnel posted:

I never had much trouble with Pelagia in the original actually. On the other hand i always had massive issues with Phaedra (it's still my least favorite colossus because of that) and you killed that one super easily! Weird :v:

I do agree, playing this again, that Pelagia is not a very well designed fight.

Ugh I hated this boss so much... I'm glad that it's over though and we can move on and never see him again

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

ArknknuckleRpg posted:

In this Episode we take the bull by its horns and take on our worst colossus yet: Pelagia

If you swim underneath his arm right alongside his body, you can swim around faster than he turns and get to his back. I've seen a bunch of blind runs do it that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

whitehelm posted:

If you swim underneath his arm right alongside his body, you can swim around faster than he turns and get to his back. I've seen a bunch of blind runs do it that way.

Good to know for time attack haha

• Locked thread