Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

There's also going to be options to use non-Force using commanders. I'm looking forward to using General Veers and some Snowtroopers with AT-STs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I've mentioned these guys before for 3d printable terrain, but they're very nice models, and prices are pretty reasonable. I got their package where you get everything they produce, including periodic updates to existing models.

https://imperialterrain.com/

Lots of different buildings and obstacles to choose from. If you've got access to a 3d printer, it's a pretty good choice. I plan on making a bunch of different things and getting or making some roll-up mats.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

uncle blog posted:

Just read the movement rules in the LTP. What happens if somebody moves their AT-ST into a wall, or close enough that the movement tool won’t fit in the front, it stays there for the rest of the game?

You can go in reverse, or pivot. It's in that same book, under vehicle rules.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I found these online, but I have no idea if they're any good or not.

http://www.tablewar.com/the-f-a-t-mat/6x3-f-a-t-mat/

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

poo poo, I haven't even thought about storage yet. I've got two core sets coming, so I should probably figure out how I'm going to transport all of it.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

If you're asking when it launches, it's March 22nd. Some stores are going to have it starting today so they can do demos and Learn to Play events. FFG has a list of stores on their site I think.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

AndyElusive posted:

Want to buy that Supplies Expansion just so I can paint up one of those as an EA Loot Crate.

Objective: Collect your Sense of Pride and Accomplishment.

Got a 3D printer?
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2817649

In addition to being in the Legion Boxset Skirmish at Adepticon, a friend just asked me to join him for the Team Tournament. I'm going to be playing SO MUCH Legion on launch weekend. Plus, the X-Wing Open. I'm just going to start signing my checks over to FFG.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I'm heading to Adepticon Wed. night to pick up my Legion bundle, then going back home. Only a 1.5 hour drive each way, so not terrible. Then I get to do the same thing and blu-tac some d00ds together to use on Thursday.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I’m going to pick up a desert play mat at Adepticon, then use Imperial Terrain parts I’ve printed out.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Not specifically. Just generic rules for elevation and line of sight.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

fadam posted:

Okay, so it might be boring but I'll be able to make a playable board just using cubes.

Yep. Essentially it boils down to "Whatever you and your opponent agree on" when it comes to what counts as cover and what elevation things are.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Owlbear Camus posted:

You could do that, or you could make a modular Battle of Jakuu table with the bulk of the table taken up by an overturned, smoldering AT-AT and crashed starfighters for the guys to clamber over. :colbert:

Not Jakku, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_OCQJjx4Z8

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Owlbear Camus posted:

Any of you reprobates at Adepticon?

I am. I’m playing in the Boxset Skirmish AT THIS VERY MOMENT. I’ve also got the team event Saturday.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Playing the team tournament at Adepticon and we’re getting wrecked. Rebels absolutely need cover to shoot out of, and none of the boards have any. We end up having to camp on objectives with no line of sight and we’re just getting steamrolled.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Cobaltshift posted:

Just finished putting my core together. Very excited to try it out.

What are all of you doing for storage? This might be the day when I finally get one of those pluck foam tray and case set ups.

That’s what I’m doing. I got a good deal on case and some pluck foam trays.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I played quite a few games over the weekend, and I mostly enjoy the game, but I think it has some balance issues. The AT-ST seems absurdly powerful, and the Rebels have few weapons that can reliably damage it. I also think there needs to be more ways to mitigate dice rolls. Even with Dodge, I was losing full squads at a time due to crap rolls on what is already a low chance die.
Rebels absolutely need cover to sit behind and shoot out of, and the boards we were playing on had very little of it. Our choices were to either hide behind buildings and let the Imperials roll across the board, or sit on objectives out in the open and get cut apart.
That being said, I do think there a good game in there. The cover thing was largely due to the face that the Adepticon staff was rushed to get boards set up. I also think balance will even out as upgrades and new units are released.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Raged posted:

You can make a AT-ST a waste of points with 2 Ion troopers. Place the squads with them so that if the AT-ST goes after them then the vulnerable back is facing your T-47 and AT-RTs

The problem we ran into was that with upgrades it never has to move. It can hit anywhere on the board and fire 4 weapons.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Raged posted:

Firing is an action. 2 Ions tokens means it gets no actions. It is a sitting duck. You fire the Ion as part of the squad's whole attack pool so you are pretty much guaranteed a to get that hit to crit in.

poo poo, I thought it was 1 action period, not one per token. That does make things a little better.
I'm willing to chalk most of my issues up to a rushed release day tournament. The boards were pre-set so we had no say in terrain placement, which is different from how the rules say tournament terrain will be handle.
On the plus side, I met the game lead designer, and he seems like a pretty nice guy.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

So far, with the two additional waves that have been announced, they're sticking with the original Trilogy. I'm wondering if they're going to go the multiple faction rout like other war games, or stick with more of an X-Wing approach, of just two factions, maybe three if they mimic the Scum faction.

I do thin that as more people are playing and there's a chance to do some proper list building, things will balance out on their own. Adepticon was largely "play with what you could get your hands on" which limits what you can really do.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I'd think about swapping some Z-6s for Ion guns. All the Imperial heavy weapons have Impact, and they'll be looking for your AT-RTs. If those die off quick, you're going to have trouble dealing with an AT-ST.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

So what are you all doing for paint schemes for your Rebels? I don't want them all the same, since I want it to feel like a thrown together force. I'm thinking of doing each squad in a different scheme. Like one desert, one forest, one urban, that kind of thing.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Courage is for the unit. Remember the unit can use their commanders courage if they’re within range 3 of them too. Which means Stormtroopers near Darth will never run.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Eventually yes. Right now, Vader is the only released Imperial Commander. General Veers is out soon, and I imagine there will be more commanders to follow. The Rebels have 2 others announced besides Luke, in Leia and Han.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

head58 posted:

No proper scale ships for it yet but I have a template for a paper craft shuttle “head” I’ll park at one end, and one of those Disneyworld popcorn AT-ATs on the way.

Oh, and one of these.

Oh you got a cAT-TE, sweet.

Edit: I can’t believe I missed CAT-AT.

Funzo fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 8, 2018

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

There’s places on Etsy selling clear bases.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

MiniatureMarket.com has a bunch of Legion stuff on sale today. I told myself I wasn't going to buy more until I painted what I already had, but I could't pass up stuff that cheap, even with shipping.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I get that they want to be thematic, but it seems like the rules don't support what they're trying to do. I haven't played for a while, so feel free to correct my potential misconceptions.
Thematically, The Empire marches across the field, with heavy armor and overwhelming firepower. So far so good. Legion has armored troops and lots of big guns.
Rebels are supposed to be a rag-tag force of guerrilla fighters using hit and run tactics and sabotage. It's hard to pull that off in a table-top war game. some of the units work well for that, but it seems like the base Rebel troops are at their most effective when you can plant them behind cover and never move them. I would think you'd want to create a system that rewards positioning and maneuvering.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

StuG Jeebus posted:

The game needs more corps options right now, not more operatives

This. I was hoping this was going to turn out to be mostly no-name grunts fighting it out, with a few big characters for flavor.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Yeah, I think this is going to be A Thing now. I'm assuming there's going to be exclusive minis and/or X-Wing ships at major cons from now on.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Judging by past releases, Rebels getting Tauntauns means Imperials are about to get orbital bombardments or something.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

They’re doing a “here’s what’s going on” kind of thing at Adepticon, and said there’s going to be a product announcement. Might be new factions. It’s a logical place to launch that kind of thing.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Clone wars coming to Legion. New core box with Republic and Separatist for $100. They’re also changing the plastic to a harder material and going to models on sprue like warhammer.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

FFG is selling a con exclusinve Vader model at Star Wars Celebration, but between VIP badges, who get in to the hall early and sales to other exhibitors, they sold out for today before the hall even opened to regular badge holders. Good work FFG. I imagine the same thing will happen tomorrow when I'm going.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Apparently, FFG is giving away a Sabine pin with a $30 purchase, so VIP badge holders are buying Vader to get the pin, then dumping the model on eBay. Id be fine with that if they held some back for standard badge holders when the hall opened.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Are there any good list building resources out there? I haven't played since launch, and I have no idea what's good. I've got a pile of Rebel stuff, and I'm willing to pick up a few more things if necessary. I'm trying to work out a good skirmish list mostly.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Hoping it means Ahsoka operative is coming. Or Anakin.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I've got some store credit at one local place I was going to use for the Clone Wars box, but they haven't had it in stock for months.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Finally got my hands on the Clone Wars core box. I know the clone troopers are the older plastic that needs superglue, but the droids can go together with plastic cement, like 40k stuff right?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Ok, that's what I thought.
Also, words cannot adequately express how much I hate putting these droids together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I've got 5 squads of Rebel troopers too. Must be a thing. I've also got a Snowspeeder, which I used once and realized that it's terrible and will never earn it's points back in a game before getting shot down by the average squad of Stormtroopers.