Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

How much of this game is the force user commander just slaughtering endless amounts of cannon fodder troops? Id like an actual troop vs troop game and want to steer as far away from the force stuff as possible. Basically my question is how close is this to the last 5min of Rogue One?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Some thoughts after playing a few demo games at the store.

- Speeder bikes really need a 6x3 map. Even at that size their mandatory move seems a bit too long. In the demo map theyre pretty much fodder for Luke once they commit to a direction.

- White dice suuuuuuck. A full squad of storm troopers with aim token was regularly rolling 0 hits. I laughed pretty hard when I saw that rebels could buy a guy who throws 6 white dice for 3/4 the cost of a regular squad. What a deal!

- I was kinda worried this game would be Guys With Lightsabers Kill Everything: The Game but Vader is pretty slow and goes down decently fast to black dice but Luke is pretty invincible to storm trooper fire. Ironically youre more likely to kill luke by running up to him in melee and beating him to death with your rifle than trying to shoot him. Although if you miss hes pretty much annihilating a squad a turn.

- Not sure I like the way you pick the scenarior/deployment/whatever cards...and the activation cards / random bag thing are kinda goofy but whatever.

- gently caress you 3 dice per box god that poo poo is tiring in every product you release.

- the mini walker dude is pretty fun esp since he can scoot backwards and is more forgiving that speeders.

Screw it..i wasnt planning on it but I think im gonna buy this game.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

hoiyes posted:

I hope this is hyperbole because the chance of 5 white dice doing this once is like 2%. Were you converting offensive surges and rerolling three dice with precise keyword?

Expected roll should be two hits and a crit. Not great, they're as good at shooting as naked green dice from Xwing are at dodging. Blanking out on 5 dice with 3 rerolls is pretty uncommon.

Still, I feel like Storms are essentially ablative armour for the rocket launcher dude.

It happened enough to when it was time to shoot id just say "Ok time for all blanks" and I'd roll all blanks and depending on if they had cover is prob when id roll a hit or two only for them to be meaningless.
Precise should prob be something like turn a blank to a hit or something I dunno but the empires troops seem like poo poo compared to the rebels

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Foolster41 posted:

(Though I have a feeling they will do a S&V faction, like they did with X-wing, ImpAss, Armada...)

Armada has no S&V faction.

But I would totally buy an ewok faction or gungun faction.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Is anyone magnetizing their AT-ST head? or are they just gluing it on? what a good sized magnet to use?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Floppychop posted:

Just impulse bought the core and an Airspeeder since the FLGS was having a wicked good sale for Tabletop Games Day.

What else should I get if I want to run rebels at 800? More troopers, another AT_RT, or another Airspeeder?

I love the idea of running two airspeeders since I love the ship, but I can see having half the list being in two flying models being iffy.

More AT-RTs is always a good bet. A friend runs 3 of them and wrecks people.

Veers seems good. Hes prob the only way to make use out of HH-12 troopers atm. I can see double commanders lists with Veers + whoever else is next the same way people are theorizing about Leia+Han lists.

You def have to be cagey with him though. Hes no Vader for sure.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Ima try this.

General Veers 80
Commanding Presence, Esteemed Leader,

Stormtroopers 44
DLT-19 Stormtrooper, Impact Grenades,

Stormtroopers 44

Stormtroopers 44

Stormtroopers 44
Impact Grenades,

AT-ST 195
88 Twin Light Blaster Cannon,

AT-ST 195
88 Twin Light Blaster Cannon

4 squads of Troopers has been enough to work for me in the past. The 2 AT-STs should be enough to soften up enemy squads, scare people off objectives and soak up enough damage for the troops to swoop in and claim whatever they need at the end. The grenades are for Vader/Luke who wanna suicide dive Veers/troops. I think no bikes should be fine since kinda suck at the "hold/grab an objective" missions and the people here go hog wild with terrain on maps. Long march should be auto win even without mortor launchers although i might try to find points for at least 1.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

uh...id have to look but i dont thin either are bad vs him

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

So these 2 man scout squads are the flotillas of Legion? bring like 5 of them and drown your opponent in activation spam?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Rebel operative Manny Bothans let's do it

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Looks awesome. The amount should be fine as long as youre counting those med-bigger sized bushes as at least cover 1

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Thank God rebel players now have a reason to ditch all the horrible cards Imps hate playing.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I think I'm done with this game until Imperials get a commander that isn't a straight downgrade to it's rebel counterpart. Playing against Luke with his infinite amount of bullshit is about the most unfun thing imaginable I knew this game would end up being a giant force user jerkoff fest.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Literally worse than Leia in every stat what a bargain!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Boba can zip all over the place but his dmg still seems mediocre for his cost.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

loving hell that face sculpt

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Lol at Sheev getting personally involved in such vital missions as: Carry this box, and Stand in this area. They really are just making this game Imp Assault XL aren't they.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Ewoks fir rebels and those manpig things from cloud city for empire.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

If they were gonna release other factions they should have done so from the start. They're gonna piss off a lot of people if in under a year they go "oh btw here's 2 new factions sucks if you already committed to the first 2"

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Yeah, it is a shame the original trilogy is already mined out of war gaming content. I pray Clone Wars will have rules for making your own Jedi/Sith or other characters.

Yeah what this game really needs is Luke 2.0 fanfic edition

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Chief Chirpa commander

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I just don't get what hes supposed to do that justifies 140+ points. Like yeah he can zip around but hes not gonna kill squads with 2 black dice any better than a bike squad will. He can sorta run interference on Luke for a bit but you still need to deal with him eventually. I guess he can ferry objective tokens around...

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Is there a tl:dr of all the changes so I dont have to read a 64 page rulebook

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Its overpriced for what it does. It cant take or hold objectives, and it cant really go out hunting units either since it's really awkward to use around your own troops and maneuver around dense terrain. you just kind of stick it where it can hopefully get decent map coverage and hope it's enough of a deterrent to funnel enemy troops into other areas.(it wont be) Most people will just straight up ignore it though since it doesn't put out enough pressure to warrant putting in the effort to kill it.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Rebel thing might be ok if they let the gunner guys shoot in any direction but if they're limited to the front arc only with a speed 2 + compulsory move this thing is gonna be garbo for the same reason the AT-ST is. The fact that you can only put in single unit troopers kinda blows. Luke really doesn't need a 75point ride when he has double move and force jump.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Are death troopers a special thing or regular troops?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

My guess is Imps get dewbacks.
Cant wait for piles of tauntaun poo poo for terrain.

Gettin realllly tired of not seeing an ewoks preview though.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

You must 3d print additional pylons.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Droids will be 8+ per unit and will be exactly as effective as they were in the movies

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

There better be a single C3-PO head in that battle droid box.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Owlbear Camus posted:

NGL this dumbass little technical has grown on me since it was spoiled. (WIP gotta finish the crew)

Wheres that from?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I mean how'd you get one. I didnt even think it was out yet.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Shore troopers look fun to paint which is something you rarely get to say with imperial troops.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Devlan Mud posted:

Sounds like just as much of a shitshow as the exclusive metallic vulture droid for x-wing was to get at adepticon a few weekends ago. Shocker.

Sounds worse. At least at adepticon you could wait in line for a ticket and had a shot.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I was thinking of getting back into legion with the droid faction. How are they? They seem cool and fun and dooku and greveous are good boys but I just know I'll spend hours on pumping out battle droid squads only to have Luke run up and obliterate all of them in a single round. I hope theyre not just worse stormtroopers.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

With stormtroopers it was a squad of 4 meat shields protecting the one gun with a gun that could hit things. Is it like that?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

What is the state of Legion atm? I quit fairly early when the only vehicles were the AT-ST and snow speeder, which both kinda sucked, and commanders like Luke would just run around decimating entire squads. Seems like the game is a lot more vehicle heavy now.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Funzo posted:

Painted up Del and Gideon from Inferno Squadron.
Cloth highlights are rough, but I'm pretty happy with the faces for once.

This legit rules. Awesome work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Hell yeah Kroot time baby