Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Yeah, the videos I've seen sort of show Luke/Vader as something of a chess Queen piece.
It's valuable and has a meaningful impact, but a lot of the work is done by the other pieces.

Consider that a game is 800 points each side (core set includes about 500 points each side), Luke's base cost is 160 points and a unit of troopers is 40 points. In the videos I've seen, people are usually playing with a single core set preview copy, 500 points each side, and so the impact of the commanders there is probably somewhat overstated in those previews than you'd expect in a full game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Orvin posted:

From the painting videos posted, a lot of the troopers with larger guns come with the arms/gun detached. The AtRT comes in a lot of different pieces. Also, the ATST has the optional weapon upgrades as plastic bits that can be added to the model as well.

Yeah, you can load up the AT-ST to match the upgrades from the cards which is really cute

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I could definitely see some S&V releases that Empire/Rebels could take, not sure about an entire separate faction. It's ostensibly set in the GCW; I suppose you could could someone like Saw Guerrera's rebels as something new. I guess it depends on what they consider a faction.

Yeah, from the direction the game is going right now it's hard to imagine where scum units would come from. If they keep the GCW setting, there's not much there to go off of from the films. The fringe/criminal elements on screen are more like individual bounty hunters or a ragtag gang of mooks working for Jabba. Not really the organized militaries of the Empire/Rebels.
There's a lot in the prequel era that fits the setting though, with Clone armies vs. Droid armies.

That said, if they want to keep a release cadence up they've either got to expand the timeline with no regard to mixing the era/settings (like the SW LCG, Destiny, and X-Wing) or they mine deep into the old EU (LCG especially). I expect they'll probably expand the timeline and go wide before they go deep.
Or maybe there's a certain number of points each side can use to add an irregular mercenary type unit. It's all speculation at this point though.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

FFG still hasn't released a 6x3 mat for Rune Wars, just a single grass and mud 3x3 that you're supposed to buy two of :what:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I'm really excited to see people build terrain in a Mayan/Tikal inspired style in approximation of Yavin IV

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I like the idea of a squad of stormtroopers running to close distance and then hucking some bullseye grenades onto a moving airspeeder

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Lack of clarity of rules- the box only comes with a learn to play book and most of the rules are contradicted by exceptions throughout the book and the comprehensive rule book wasn't included. Hopefully that's just for review copies.

The full rules reference guide is online now, but maybe it wasn't at the time they printed the demo copies

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

fadam posted:

I didn't realize so few dice were provided in the starter box. Hopefully all the stores near here don't sell out.

Yeah, it's classic FFG. X-Wing core sets don't have enough dice to play the starter game without doing awkward proxy+rerolls.
It has to be done on purpose to encourage you to buy a second core set. I can buy a second set of movement tools and dice for $30 total, or spend another $60 and get a whole second core set with 4 more units of troopers, another AT-RT and another unit of speeder bikes.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

fadam posted:

Is a second core set even going to be enough dice to resolve an attack in one go if you're using the chaingun guy in a Trooper squad?

Yeah. You get 3 of each dice, and the Z-6 trooper rolls 6 white. The rest of the squad rolls (up to 5) black dice.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/3/9/fortify-your-battlefield/

I like that they're selling some basic terrain elements.
The retailers in my local group are giddy about all the SKUs and support FFG is putting out. I think this game is going to do pretty well.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/3/13/prepare-your-troops/
Playmats! But they're 3x3 for some reason, instead of 6x3. :shrug:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

The Star Wars repaint group on Facebook for X-Wing, Armada, Legion, and IA is just bursting today of people complaining how crappy the models are.
Peep those arm joints

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Is there a .stl file yet of a heavy cover barricade of Ewok bodies piled up as sandbags?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Yeah, Costco usually has the 6' folding tables for $50 or so, and they fold down in half to be almost square. Problem is they're never wide enough, the usual size is 30 inches which is not quite 3 feet.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Raged posted:

For X-Wing/Armada we just find some plywood and cut a board the size we need and set it on top of the table. Heck it works on my coffee table.

Yeah, a friend of mine made a bunch of table toppers for X-Wing for his friend who owns a store here. He has a bunch of card tables in his store for Magic, and the topper he built was a plywood top with boards parallel to the tables to hug the edges of the card table and keep them from shifting.

Or you can just do what I did and buy a humungous table (3.5 feet by 9.5 feet whatuppppppp)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

AndyElusive posted:

Are ImpAss models the right size for Legion?

No

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

seriously?

edit: lol

Yeah the rude part is that it's only slightly off. It's not enormously different.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Rebel Commandos
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/3/23/rebel-strike-team/

Han Solo commander.
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/3/23/shooting-first/

LMAO at that Han Solo model

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Yeah, I could see Death Troopers, Scarif Shoretroopers, or Inferno Squad troopers in a Special Forces role.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Just give Rebels a "Big ole' Stick" strategy card to play on an AT-ST to give it a few wounds.

Chewbacca commander melee attack to capture the vehicle

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/4/3/maximum-firepower-1/
Here comes Veers! Interesting that the 1 pip command card gives an extra attack.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

StuG Jeebus posted:

Yeah, everything about him looks great. I was worried the command phase would just feel kind of bolted on and vestigial, but with some of these cards it feels very well integrated with the rest of the game. I also like how strongly some of these commanders are influencing the list building around them.

Putting an AT-AT on one of Veers' cards is a hell of tease though...

I mean, I get that it's an abstraction for calling in an off-map heavy artillery strike, but it could also be interpreted that he's going to do a Care Bear Stare and roll 4 red dice through the power of an angry look

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Raged posted:

Right now everyone has the same condition/objective/environment cards. However when the objectives expansion comes out that will change. How do you determine whose set of cards will be used to determine the battlefield?

I imagine that we'll see a tournament rules document for a standard format that will cover that. Right now, the event documents just call out specifically which condition/objective/environment cards to use.

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/cd/0d/cd0d3301-fc0d-42f0-a0fd-1932d61a8056/swl_gathering_forces_eo.pdf

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Here's a news page tagged with Legion.
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/tag/star-wars-legion/

All we know so far on the upcoming units is "2nd Quarter 2018"

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Veers is officially released now, but most importantly, the two desert ruins game mats are available.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/4/26/begin-ground-assault/

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

The snipers look really neat for managing the momentum of the game.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Owlbear Camus posted:

here's a cool protip to help enjoy this game:
don't leave 3-d printed starwar buildings in a hot car :smithicide:

Paint them in a psychedelic color scheme, and have your next scenario be a battle in a burning poppy field.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Owlbear Camus posted:

Rebs you've got Hoth Troopers and uh...

You have the troops from Rogue One that look exactly like the other ones;

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Even better 😬

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

An AT-ST crashes in the middle of Mogadishu

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/2/27/the-power-of-the-dark-side-1/

Exclusive Vader sculpt with alt arts for Star Wars Celebration attendees

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Ugleb posted:

So this is only available at the show, not online anywhere? Other than ebay for who knows what the following day, obviously.

Probably. They're doing the same for Adepticon with a golden droid fighter for x-wing.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Just saw a promo Vader sell on Facebook for $150 :homebrew:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

hoiyes posted:

They've said they will preview 5 brand new expansions in December. So Iden & Dio and Cassian & K2 are likely candidates, plus 3 others. Hoping for clone and droid commandos, and then a wild card.

Inferno Squad special forces perhaps

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

K2 is only allowed to have a blaster if Cassian is in your army list and gives him permission.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I like the sculpts too

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Hellburger99 posted:

My local community is still STILL! complaining that Leia has a better melee attack than Veers. Yeah, can’t imagine why the model made to do close range support has a better melee attack than they one designed to stay in the back with the gun lines. It’s the same “80 lbs girl vs trained military man” bullshit, too.

Edit: that said yeah Leia is way undercosted for all the tools she gives you but like hell I’m ever giving her up.

But Leia has plot armor because she is one of The Good Guys it's not a gender thing your local dudes should stop overthinking it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Iceclaw posted:

Not to mention he died before the Clone Wars even started?

Good point. Clone Wars didn't officially start until Yoda announced it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Cessna posted:

I'd kinda like to see these guys in the game:

Ah cool I loved The Wire