Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

But Chaos is p cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

MrQueasy posted:

My impression of the finale of FF7R meant that they were opening it up a bit to more than just simple "correcting". Heck, the timeline is messed up now... Biggs is alive and perhaps Jessie? We never got to see Wedge's body. Aerith's first boyfriend Zack didn't die either. I'm guessing they're planning to shake things up more than people think.

Right. I'm curious about the future installments, but I'm not especially excited about it like I was with the first part. I'm one of the dumb dumbs who really just wanted regular ol' FF7 with a fresh coat of paint. Which I guess they're also making now. Just waiting on a PC release for that.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

FFVII: Ever Crisis looks like it'll be fun

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

MrQueasy posted:

My impression of the finale of FF7R meant that they were opening it up a bit to more than just simple "correcting". Heck, the timeline is messed up now... Biggs is alive and perhaps Jessie? We never got to see Wedge's body. Aerith's first boyfriend Zack didn't die either. I'm guessing they're planning to shake things up more than people think.

I believe the Zack thing is that he's actually dead in the timeline that the game takes place in, and that scene we see him in is a glimpse into another timeline that Aerith is aware of somehow, presumably because the destroying the Whisper Bundle destroyed all whispers across all times and spaces and then poo poo got all fucky.

While I know gently caress-all about Square's plans, everything in Remake feels like it's gearing up to be a completely different game. I wouldn't be surprised if many of the story beats are changed around in huge, dramatic ways or skipped entirely. But I still think Aerith is gonna die(and she should, despite being the best character).

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
RED XIII: [sees a vision of himself running with his children]
oh no! we need to stop this horrible future from coming to pass!
my friends on r/childfree are gonna kick my rear end!

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Bonaventure posted:

RED XIII: [sees a vision of himself running with his children]
oh no! we need to stop this horrible future from coming to pass!
my friends on r/childfree are gonna kick my rear end!

Red-pilled-incel XIII

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Red XVIII

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Dell_Zincht posted:

To this day, I still have no idea what that line was supposed to mean

EDIT - "Dilly Dally" means to beat around the bush, I get that. But Shilly Shally?

I'm cracking up at "shilly-shally" talk because guess what I just encountered in the game script I'm editing? I used "internet derision" as justification to remove it. Thanks, goons!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dell_Zincht posted:

To this day, I still have no idea what that line was supposed to mean

EDIT - "Dilly Dally" means to beat around the bush, I get that. But Shilly Shally?

They both mean "to beat around the bush," in different ways, though using one idiom as a definition for another gives me a chuckle.

"Dilly dally" comes from the word "dally," as in to dawdle or linger, with dilly being a repetition of the key word for emphasis. Shilly shally is rarer, and definitely more awkward sounding, but is a real expression and it comes from the phrase "shall I?" And again, shilly here is a repetition of "shall I." The former implies laziness or a lack of effort, the latter implies hesitation or a lack of decisiveness. Thus, dilly dally shilly shally implies both.

It's still a pretty bad line though.

Runa fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Apr 16, 2021

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

MrQueasy posted:

Honestly, I think the timeline fuckery is just so they have the leeway to rearrange the story a bit in a more streamlined way that makes sense for a current gen game. A complete beat-by-beat remake from the OG might not translate as well, so they want to be able to shuffle bits around without the fans going “but but but that didn’t happen”.

Like, I don’t think they’re gonna actually keep Aerith alive, but they sure as hell might nix Mr. Dolphin, or have you meet Yuffie elsewhere, or suddenly Corel’s three times as big but still sucks. They’re definitely going to tease us with “oh you don’t know what’s going to happen now”, but I truly believe the main plot beats are gonna stay the same.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
No Mr Dolphin = No Buy

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Dell_Zincht posted:

She still gonna die, man

EDIT - They could pull some Harry Potter and The Cursed Child poo poo where the timeline in FFVII:Remake is one where Aerith lives but ultimately Sephiroth wins, the planet is destroyed and they have to go back and "fix" the timeline and she dies

Square Enix made this game a couple of years ago but called it Dragon Quest.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I need to replay this because I honestly remember little about it because I was drinking the whole way through the first time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
On the one year anniversary KupoCon got the majority of the voice cast together for a zoom thing and it was pretty fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0eR0n-yk1o