Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I’ve wanted a wfrp video game for so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Idk what wfrp is

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying. As the name suggests, the RPG set in the world of the original Warhammer minis game, the one that was ended for Age of Sigmar.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
poo poo soulbound has been good enough I'd like to see a game in that system, they've done some really cool stuff

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Benagain posted:

poo poo soulbound has been good enough I'd like to see a game in that system, they've done some really cool stuff

they made one

*camera turns to focus on a monkey paw*

it's an rts

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

disposablewords posted:

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying. As the name suggests, the RPG set in the world of the original Warhammer minis game, the one that was ended for Age of Sigmar.

It’s kind of it’s own thing tone wise and power wise.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

MonsieurChoc posted:

Very much so. The starter classes are all pretty much "random nobody" but the idea is anyone can have useful skills and knowledge to convey into an adventuring career, and some problems can only be solved by a band of irregular weirdos instead of armies. It's a very rags-to-riches sort of game, too.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
More people probably know Warhammer Fantasy from the Total War series by this point.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I always thought it was thematic but weird that rats signalled an increased skaven presence. It'd be like orks going "lotta monkeys around here, bet there's humies close by"

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I think we should keep more monkeys. Lemurs make fun pets. The problem is there's no urban adapted monkeys.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

I think we should keep more monkeys. Lemurs make fun pets. The problem is there's no urban adapted monkeys.

Human pet guy, is that you?!

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

Be the change you want to see in the world. Just start a breeding program like the russian domesticated fox one.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Megazver posted:

Given how free GW is with giving out WH licenses, I am surprised we didn't get any WFRP crpgs yet.
The field was pretty dead until fairly recently, and Owlcat made the (extremely awesome, as a narrative product, if not yet as a game) Rogue Trader one... might have wanted to lean into their cash cow first.

Kwyndig posted:

Turn off you're monitor, hunam

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Humans are apes, apes are not monkeys.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Neither are lemurs, but I guess grammatically you're somewhat safe. For now.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Farg posted:

Idk what wfrp is

As good a time as any to repost a legendary F&F reviewer. Scroll down to Night10194's reviews and dig in.

https://writeups.letsyouandhimfight.com/

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Kwyndig posted:

Hey, in the time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Kwyndig posted:

feel like there are very few RPG writers out there I’d trust to illustrate the concept of “urban monkeys” without doing a racism

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Kwyndig posted:

Phylogenetically, apes are monkeys! You can't evolve out of a clade.

Phylogenetically, humans are also fish.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I can't believe you're not familiar with Zweihander, the totally original system that's taking the roleplaying world by storm.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

grassy gnoll posted:

I can't believe you're not familiar with Zweihander, the totally original system that's taking the roleplaying world by storm.

Zweihander guy still not mad WFRP 4E came out and everybody loved it so his system has no real reason to exist, I'm sure.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

I was really hoping his current Kickstarter would eat poo poo, but it was set low enough that there likely wasn't any chance of that happening.

One can always hope though!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gatto Grigio posted:

feel like there are very few RPG writers out there I’d trust to illustrate the concept of “urban monkeys” without doing a racism
I believe Japan and India both have monkeys who wander into urban areas and seem to do well. India has social/religious pressure to not solve this problem with shotguns, too.

Narratively it would be a disaster, I am sure, but I suppose if you were illustrating the concept, the Japanese macaque would be a good model. They have light brown/gray fur and a bright red face, which would at least not map to human ethnicities. Other than perhaps some British people

Nessus fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Mar 24, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Lancer could lend itself to a lot of things. It doesn't help probably that the setting is basically Star Trek with giant robots.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

mllaneza posted:

As good a time as any to repost a legendary F&F reviewer. Scroll down to Night10194's reviews and dig in.

https://writeups.letsyouandhimfight.com/

One of the best reviews I've ever read and made me interested in Warhammer again.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Nessus posted:

Narratively it would be a disaster, I am sure, but I suppose if you were illustrating the concept, the Japanese macaque would be a good model. They have light brown/gray fur and a bright red face, which would at least not map to human ethnicities. Other than perhaps some British people

Advanced Gibbons & Gammons

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Labyrinths & Loongs

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Zweihander guy still not mad WFRP 4E came out and everybody loved it so his system has no real reason to exist, I'm sure.

Didn't he go so far as to release a 'Totally not 40k' version of Zweihander as well.

Edit: Dark Astral is what I'm thinking of.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Mar 24, 2024

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
He is hardly the only person to release totally-not-WFRP and totally-not-WH40K titles, I don't see an issue with it. I played WFRP 4e and intensely disliked it as a system, so I am all for more people releasing slightly tweaked WFRP-likes that are actually functional.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Megazver posted:

He is hardly the only person to release totally-not-WFRP and totally-not-WH40K titles, I don't see an issue with it.

Did those other people also spam their game everywhere they could reach and Kramer into every conversation they could to advertise it at length, hard enough to get banned from some communities?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Not that I know, but people were lolling at him releasing WH-likes, not the rear end in a top hat behavior, and releasing WH-likes wasn't the problematic part.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Megazver posted:

Not that I know, but people were lolling at him releasing WH-likes, not the rear end in a top hat behavior, and releasing WH-likes wasn't the problematic part.

They're innately intertwined. The only interactions that he has had with the RPG community have been "rear end in a top hat behavior" on every count. That includes the advertising and release of his WH carbon copy (he didn't even put in the slight effort that most OSR writers do to differentiate even a little bit from the source material and justify buying the game in the first place).

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Megazver posted:

He is hardly the only person to release totally-not-WFRP and totally-not-WH40K titles, I don't see an issue with it. I played WFRP 4e and intensely disliked it as a system, so I am all for more people releasing slightly tweaked WFRP-likes that are actually functional.

What's none functional about it?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

What's none functional about it?

I ran WFRP 4e for a couple of months and found it fiddly, over-engineered and under-edited; a hodgepodge of sub-systems and random little rules that you need to remember. I ran it in Foundry with the core rulebook module, which helped with some things but also actually made a few things more annoying.

I really enjoyed the adventure modules I've read in preparation for that game, but I think I'd use something like Warlock! to run them next time.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SkyeAuroline posted:

Did those other people also spam their game everywhere they could reach and Kramer into every conversation they could to advertise it at length, hard enough to get banned from some communities?

He's the particular kind of rear end in a top hat that gets banned from here, /tg/, and rpg.net among other places iirc

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SkyeAuroline posted:

They're innately intertwined. The only interactions that he has had with the RPG community have been "rear end in a top hat behavior" on every count. That includes the advertising and release of his WH carbon copy (he didn't even put in the slight effort that most OSR writers do to differentiate even a little bit from the source material and justify buying the game in the first place).

Correct. If he'd just plopped out his clone, the community would have probably just snickered at it before ignoring it but he decided it needed the hard sell so hard it got him kicked out of everywhere. Also don't forget claiming to help 'take down' the Trove.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Dawgstar posted:

Correct. If he'd just plopped out his clone, the community would have probably just snickered at it before ignoring it but he decided it needed the hard sell so hard it got him kicked out of everywhere. Also don't forget claiming to help 'take down' the Trove.

I was leaving off the Trove part intentionally, since it tends to drag conversations away from the point.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
And despite having made himself dramatically disliked in so many places, he also managed to campaign his way into winning what, two Ennie awards? I never did hear how that managed to happen, given the nature of the work.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Vermintide was a great visit to the old world, it's amazing that nobody's actually made a full WHFRP crpg yet.

E: the Ennie awards are trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
the only legitimate tabletop gaming recognition is the Diana Jones award, and it still kind of sucks, but at least the trophy is cool