Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

OtspIII posted:

What I do is make a table of however many different 'themes' I want the campaign or dungeon or whatever to reflect, then whenever I need a shot of in the moment creativity I roll on the chart twice and try to think of something interesting at the intersection of the two concepts. So I'm not populating the table with "1d20 orcs" so much as "Regional Warlords" and "Nature Reclaiming Civilization", and whenever I roll on a table I'm always getting a hybrid concept that makes it really hard to fall into conceptual ruts while also usually being specific enough that I don't fall into blank-paper creative paralysis, and also open ended enough that I can always factor in the pre-existing situation. If I roll the two above concepts on a wilderness encounter, maybe you run into the local orc warlord's Bear Subjugation Squad, but if I roll it in a village it tells me that the local government has fallen apart after the castle was destroyed by a nature spirit, and so on.

Stars Without Number does things in a very similar way. Planets have "tags" representing various sci-fi themes, and you pick two tags for each planet and try to combine them. Each tag has a list of suggestions for Enemies, Friends, Complications, Things and Places, which you combine with the suggestions for the other tag. For example, a planet with the tags "Regional Hegemon" and "Psionics Fear" will have enemy types such as "Colonial Official" and "Mental Purity Investigator". Combining those two gets you a fearsome government inquisitor.

Ironsworn: Starforged also makes heavy use of tables generating keywords and short phrases, which you combine and interpret in context. It works really well in practice.

Most of this stuff could be adapted for Spelljammer with minimal reskinning.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Apr 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

Are there any RPGs that do the whole "this stuff is beyond your comprehension and weird stuff is going to happen and it will gently caress you up in unimaginable ways" thing well? WFRP3E's corruption is the only one I've experience with that approaches it but i mean like weird weird, like roadside picnic the original novel: The RPG

Glitch. The character's are eldritch horrors who find normal existence to be terrifying and Wrong.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Comstar posted:

I should have expected the company that made GI Joe would be run by Cobra Commander.

Hell did COBRA ever fire someone for giving an opinion to a question they asked??

Comics Cobra genuinely seems like a very nice place to work. Don't insult Cobra Commander by comparing him to WoTC.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
While it is true that rules per se cannot be copyrighted, this does not apply to a concrete presentation of the rules, so WoTC could conceivably prevent people from using character sheets that look similar to the official ones, phrasings that sound similar to the SRD, etc. The exact dividing line is somewhat fuzzy, and most people prefer not to take the risk (Also, even if WoTC lose the hypothetical case, getting sued is massively expensive and time-consuming).

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 15, 2023

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
They should make a live-action adaptation of the D&D cartoon show. Warwick Davis as Dungeon Master.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dexo posted:

gonna be wild when the Pinkertons take Michigan and upper Indiana, and start their march towards chicago.

They are already planning for the post-apocalypse.

Climate Chaos Is Coming — and the Pinkertons Are Ready posted:

Whatever the exact costs of climate change, it is Pinkerton's job to read between the numbers looking for the potential for violence. If you're suffering only one hurricane every 20 years or so, shelling out $1 million to Pinkerton isn't such a big deal, Paz Larach explained; you bake it into your risk. "But if there's a disaster every year, which is happening more and more, it makes more sense to have dedicated staff on standby." A Pinkerton on standby doesn't mean protection for just your insurable risks but also for the uninsurable risks — business interruptions, theft of trade secrets, pandemics. And with the environment increasingly weaponized against the poor, to borrow Wallace-Wells's phrase, the sectors that rely on cheap labor will face more unrest among workers; the state will struggle to keep up with crime; and in the aftermath of storms, with landslides blocking first responders, regional offices will be cut off.

And this, of course, is exactly the sort of environment in which the Pinkertons thrive.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

Also that 9 year old Anakin Skywalker built C-3PO in his garage. A child creating life and sentience from scratch would be the whole-rear end movie anywhere else.

He probably found a build-a-droid kit in the trash or something. They don't say he invented C-3PO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

No, I'm not joking. If I somehow had $900 billion in personal debt, it would affect a lot of powerful people and they're going to have to pay me some walking-away money so they can step in and fix the situation. I think it would also work with $900 million.

This was literally what the WeWork CEO did.