Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Goa Tse-tung posted:

D&D Post-Modern

Dungeons & Doom Patrol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Fred Hicks talking about the effect streaming has on game sales (particularly TAZ's recent Monster of the Week game):

https://twitter.com/fredhicks/status/965631462124015616

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

quote:

No more having to workout to carry all the manuals.

quote:

Character advancement through the new APTitude System rather than traditional “leveling”.
Hahaha holy poo poo. This is totally a "I slept through the last 20+ years of RPG design" project.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

My favorite bit is that it tells you nothing about the system or how it works.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

I don't know if these have been there for a while and only just slipped through my adblocker or something but :laffo: DTRPG have some customer testimonials on the checkout screen now?

I'm sure unnamed customers have definitely said that about DTRPG, that sounds completely legitimate.
I got that the other day, on the checkout screen of all places. Because the best time to sell someone on your service is when they're in the middle of actually buying something.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Warthur posted:

Meanwhile RPG.net shuts down discussion on the topic, because the most prominent RPG-specific forum on the internet isn't actually fit for purpose for discussing significant news stories in the field.
No, see, it's okay because they used up all actual conversations and some people were getting into conspiracy theories!

This is a good reason to shut down a thread about an important topic because

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

I was pretty sure the physical product restrictions got loosened?

That may have happened after Evil Hat got screwed shipping a ton of stuff to a judge overseas, who then dropped out and kept the books.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I haven't put a lot of stock in the Ennies, mainly because at no point do they say _why_ games are nominated. Yeah, I know it's a popularity contest, but people act like it's the Emmies of RPGs. But without the context of _why_ these games are head and shoulders above the rest the award is meaningless.

And I don't just mean in terms of Starfinger or whatever stupid retroclone got twelve nods this year. Even with game I like, I'd appreciate some discussion of the ways that this book here is one of the top five of the year.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

There was an F&F of it a while back, that might have something to do with it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

If I remember correctly, Zweihander is a clone of WarhamsRPG 1e, not 2e.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ennies are based on a public vote. He wouldn't have had to try too hard.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So are people actually streaming Monte Cook's Big Box of Mystery now?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kurieg posted:

Can you touch the cube!?

Can you touch yourself with Monte Cook's molded plastic hand?

I don't know; is that one of the thousand loving spell cards in the box?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Zandar posted:

The thing that annoys me about Invisible Sun's price is that most of it's probably not going towards paying developers more, it's going towards a plastic hand and spell cards and a bunch of other stuff which isn't actually necessary to play the game. It's like selling a deluxe version of a board game without selling the entry-level version, and then telling people to get their friends to pool their money if they can't afford it.

If I remember correctly, they're not even doing a pdf version. Its the $200+ box or nothing.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kurieg posted:

Though the reason for the App's existence is one of the other things that bothers me about the game, because they state that "being able to walk up to your storyteller anywhere in the real world and being able to have them adjudicate your downtime actions that you came up with on your lunch break" as a selling point.
You know what else lets you do that? Texts. Or email. Or skype. Or discord. Or Google hangouts. Or pretty much any communication app.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Sadly, it didn't work out that way given how badly it burned d20 publishers and game stores. It didn't hurt D&D by any stretch but it definitely crashed the third-party craze.
I've said this before, but there are a few stores near me that still have full bookcases of third-party 3.x stuff that they're trying to sell at cover price.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

I don't think they even have the rights for electronic games for Dresden Files, I sincerely doubt Butcher would have handed those over with the traditional games rights. That's not even considering the millions of dollars that console development costs.

There is a digital version of the Dresden Files co-op card game on Steam, but I think that was done as part of its original kickstarter.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ratoslov posted:

One good thing I'll say about Invisible Sun: The PDFs are properly hyperlinked.

Wait, I thought Invisible Sun wasn't coming out in pdf? Or is that a backers only thing?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Trustworthy posted:

It's like the mentality of a bratty ten-year-old, after being told, "Stop hitting your sister."

"Well can I do this?" *pinches sister*

"No, obviously."

"Well can I do this?" *frantically waves hand one millimeter from sister's face*

"Don't make me come back there."
That's pretty much every global "stop being assholes" policy RPGNet has ever enacted. People coming out of the woodwork to ask where the lines are because they just can't not talk about whatever.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

"How are you, declaring rules of behavior for a private internet forum, any different than the people who rounded up specific ethic groups and murdered them en masse?"

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hmm WotC didn't want to put the stamp of approval on this, you say?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

It still brings me a chuckle to think of an eSports-style coach for a D&D group.
"Okay, what ya gotta do on this next play is roll a 15 or better, got it?"
"Uh, yeah, but I don't really have a lot of control over what comes up on the die, since..."
"Don't give me your excuses!"

fake edit: would weighted dice be the equivalent of juicing?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man, it's been a crazy day for the industry, hasn't it?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

GMS redid the rules using the old d6 Star Wars system, right? So did it turn out to be a better or worse fit than d20 for his kung fu western game?

I imagine it'd be a little better since d6 is a better "generic" system than d20, but it's still a bland as hell system that doesn't do anything beyond being a die resolution mechanic. So it's till going to be dead in the water.

Oh, and GMS was supposed to be doing updates every Friday but that died out after like two months.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

homullus posted:

This is literally what he should have done years ago -- paste it onto an existing, functional system and eat some poo poo for turning out a substandard game. Instead, he seated himself at the end of a poo poo conveyor belt, and has been eating a stream of it all this time.

The thing is, the game did originally use an existing functional system. It was using class d20 with aspects glued on.

Yhe original delays were from the Mythical Chapter 9, which was the gming chapter.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I've talked before about how there a few game stores near me that have stacks of unsold 3.x third party books they're never going to unload because they still charge full price for them. RPG stocking all about the sunk cost fallacy on physical books.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

While Alexis Kennedy tends to hit kinda the same note a lot, it's a good note, of "there are cosmic beings far more massive then us, and oh, they care so much about you, and their love isn't exactly a good thing."
That's also a central idea around Darkseid; he takes a very personal interest in humanity (and destroying the concept of "humanity").

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, a big thing with Basic was that Gygax didn't like it because it'd bring in too many people who he didn't feel were "right" for D&D (i.e., anyone not in college).

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I don't know which term I hate more; "disassociated mechanics" or "empowering the GM".

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Darwinism posted:

Ah, one of my favorites, the "I don't understand why critical failures are bad in a system where people can trigger failures at radically different rates,'' pitfall

"That's the thing about chaos...it's fair."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Heliotrope posted:

Yeah there are people saying "I told you not to name people and you did you idiot and you didn't remove them after we asked and now you're acting like you had no idea how bad Zak could be until now"

https://twitter.com/Judd_of_Kryos/status/1095161573386133505

https://twitter.com/wundergeek/status/1095178197660889088

https://twitter.com/twoscooters/status/1095235936496029696
"What? I said I was sorry."

As bad as this apology is, I'm darkly entertained and completely un-shocked that it's turned into the Bojack episode where he goes to visit Herb.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

Yes, he posted exclusively in the big grognards.txt thread that's been goldmined, so you can find all his posts here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3098558&userid=185243

e- And keep in mind he definitely has an alt or two he lurks here with so he can read our posts and repost them to his website.

That page is a shame I'll never live down.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I remember when Apocalypse World first hit the scene and RPGSite lost their poo poo over it, mainly because it was different. People were saying things like "how is Hot a stat? What does that mean?", "the game expects characters to have s-s-s-SEX", and a lot of anger over the game explicitly telling you how it's intended to be run (HOW DARE YOU TELL ME HOW TO PLAY YOUR GAME I'VE BEEN DOING THIS FOR YEARS).

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

It's more, I think, that consumers want to treat everyone except for big publishers as if they were hobbyists doing it for the love of the task, rather than being willing to pay good money for good content from freelancers who've not been employed by WotC/Paizo.
I remember an old ENWorld article talking about pricing and such, and one of the commenters saying that RPG designers shouldn't be paid because they're doing their dream job.

e: I'm sure a large part of the problem too is that a lot of people don't consider writing or editing "work".

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 25, 2019

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Warthur posted:

I wonder how much Rule Zero comes in with respect to curation/low standards.
Very heavily, for pretty much the reasons you described. I've seen "the GM can fix it at the table" used way too often as a defense of a bad game mechanic, as if the fact that you can "fix" it yourself makes it okay that you bought something that didn't work. Hell, one of 5e's main designers responds to most rules questions on twitter with "ask your GM".

There's also the problem of how nerds treat criticism of a thing they like as an attack on themselves personally. Or how a depressing amount of nerds can't understand that you can like something and be critical of it at the same time.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

D&D 3e actually tried to tackle that problem: if your Take 10 is good enough, and there's no time pressure, you Take 10 and do it, no rolling necessary.

If your Take 10 is too low, but your Take 20 could do it, and there's no time pressure, then you Take 20 - the trade-off is that it's going to eat a bunch of time to do that, and ideally your DM will get to leverage the implied passage of time to heighten the stakes.
It's amazing how close D&D got to "if there's no time pressure just don't roll or use any mechanic at all, they do it" without actually reaching it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

Note that is part of why I despise Dystopia Rising. Take horror, give it immediacy on a level that provokes fight or flight, and keep this up for 36 hours without space to decompress OOG? That is going to gently caress with people who thought they were down with it in unexpected ways and they will try to soldier on because they dont want to ruin others' fun.
This whole discussion just makes me think of McKamey Manor, which is an annual haunted house that actually requires people to sign a loving waiver to go in.

quote:

The Manor may give its patrons unwanted haircuts, drench them in fake blood, submerge them in water, force them to eat and drink unknown substances, have them bound and gagged, or engage in other forms of emotional or psychological torture.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I know there was one for Unknown Armies, and Torg Eternity has one too.

Fun fact: you can remove the end of the URL FMGuru posted, just put in a number, and go through them all that way

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

I mean, that basically is the take. Friend Computer genuinely believes it is trying to help you and genuinely wants you to be happy.

It's just also been programmed to be paranoid, blase about death and terrified of many things, and also is buggy as poo poo.
It doesn't help that High Programmers all have their own agendas and rivalries, the Computer Phreaks like messing with code just because they can, PURGE keeps blowing up the infrastructures, and of course there's that algae tank leaking into Compnode 98G/f.4. But don't worry, TechServ is going to get to that soon. Next Threesday at the latest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

hyphz posted:

White Box had a neat take on this: it’s a late stage civilisation and everything is running out. But no-one ever programmed The Computer to allow for there being no metal in the mines or no oil in the derricks (because what would they have it do, just say goodbye?)

It therefore thinks that the dwindling returns it’s getting from basic resources are symptoms of sabotage or laziness and, since it’s affecting everything, there must be some huge conspiracy against it...
One of the old books (I think the DOA Travelogue?) had a metal mining operation that's been just mining dirt and rocks for years, because the mines are pitch black due to the lights being off (they have Infrareds mining, turns out metal ore isn't something they can see at their security clearance) and nobody bothering to check what's actually being mined and processed.