Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I wonder if this push for new different Pathfinder is going to mean abandoning Starfinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

The recent L5R gives me hope. They seemed responsive to a lot more of the complaints than I expected.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I hope they take away the ability for a Wizard to sleep away from his Wizard Fort and regain spells. Being forced to really ration magic use would change the face of Pathfinder. I love sleeping 8 hours uninterrupted during the middle of slaughtering the inhabitants of a spooky castle.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

remusclaw posted:

Ooh then they could release a feat, "Deep sleeper" which restores that ability.

After playing a Fighter for a few years, I am ready for a change.

Still remember the first enemy who could cast mind affecting magic. :smith: It never stops.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

4th Edition was so good y'all. I actually really enjoyed it becoming a very tight fantasy themed board game. The group I play with was really into the tactical combat aspect of D&D, so it focusing more on what the game usually boils down into was perfect. Huge improvement over 3rd, and I say this as a guy who has also played a ton of Pathfinder too.

I way prefer more narrative systems like Blades in the Dark or other PbtA games, but at the end of the day the best system is the one you play with your friends.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Spycraft 2.0/Fantasycraft would like a word.

Still waiting for the Magic book to come out :allears:

:smithicide:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

Excellent point. I hope my clarification helps. His eyes are round. Like rounder than normal anime eyes. And they seem to have no expressions, like they have been painted on.

Does he feel very strongly about hard work?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

inklesspen posted:

Got an email from Patreon today that I'm not sure how to react to:

I mean I guess I'm feeling disappointed.

Boo.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I think another issue is that most indie rpg companies are so small it is hard to hire someone based solely on gender/race ect when you employ a low single digit number of people. Paizo has no excuse.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I get what you're trying to say, but that construction is pretty demeaning to people, regardless of intent.

Talking about anything related these sorts of things is basically a literal minefield. As someone who has been a life long fan of roleplaying I am glad that some people are really pushing to increase diversity. That just means more options for things to choose from! A fantasy book from a Trans Person-of-Color has a much higher chance to be something interesting compared to a cis white male solely on the strength of cis white males producing 99% of what is out there.

At the end of the day, the RPG industry is so tiny that the bigger companies are going to have to be the be the ones to push for this. If I didn't follow a few threads here I would have no idea about so many games that are out there, and a ton less about creators I should avoid for being toxic.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

"The Kickstarter was run several years ago" is a point that is neither intelligent nor helpful when the argument is that it's unethical to make people produce work for you pro bono, both because you should compensate people for their work so they don't starve and because pro bono work drives the value of work in general down, negatively impacting everyone else who wants to write RPGs professionally.

Not paying writers isn't great, but who are we to get mad about agreements between consenting adults?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I assume it is a lot like the comic book industry. Most people are doing it for nothing as a person just starting out or hoping to make it big at some nebulous point in the future . And once you get established either you are one of the top 0.1% of people who are talented enough to make it a worthwhile job or your talent gets you noticed for a job that pays way more in a similar industry and you go do that.

If you want to draw comic books you have to be either a superstar or someone who loves drawing pictures more than material gain. A lot of guys vanish when they find they can make multiple times more money doing graphic design or story board work.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

bewilderment posted:

In my head I like to pretend that D Vincent Baker was slightly chafing at being "the influential storygame guy" so he co-wrote a lego mecha wargame just to say he did.

Then he wrote a GMless storygame RPG in the setting for it anyway.

Sometimes a man just enjoys a big stompy robot.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

What is even the bar to clear to get a nomination? I can't imagine it takes all that much.

Isn't it literally a popularity contest?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

No, no, no, we are civilized savages and therefore it behooves us to make the offer.

So okay, rando, tell us why Hashtag Zweihander Are Pee Gee is good and worthwhile and unique, and why it being in the running for an Ennie isn't a badge of horrible shame, using specific references to setting and mechanics.

Or is it just a clone of a game I already own?

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying 2nd is a great game. Not sure who wants a knock off with way lower production values, but at least a 4th edition is soon of the real one.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Just saw that the Witcher RPG is coming out fairly soon from R. Talsorian Games. Explains a lot about the Mekton RPG kickstarter.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Based on the latest 7th Sea Kickstarter update, I wonder if "dramatic shakeups" and "rebuilding in a lot of ways" means that the failure of the dumb board game didn't give them the infusion of cash they needed to keep paying the staff. I have suspected something like this was going on, and this definitely indicates some major problem is going on.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I do wonder how much money they sunk into developing the board game and the desire to become a transmedia property. The stretch goal of doing a film thing to show off in Hollywood was a big red flag for me.

Still, everything I have gotten has been a steal for $60 or whatever. I would definitely have paid 15 bucks each for most of the supplements so far had they just put them out normally.

Oops.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

If by working mechanics, you mean XP that doubled as your spend-to-roll-better points, Sorcery that cost your entire chargen budget for effects not worth even a tenth of it, and fencing schools that actively made your character worse than if they'd just sunk points into basic attack and defense.

I loved playing a Sorcerer. My favorite character was twice-blooded so I was lovely at TWO kinds of magic. Also only being able to raise anything by a point per major arc made that sorcery/swords man skill you had to keep low in creation a huge anchor.

I played a bunch of 1st edition, and have played a lot of 2nd and I do like the game overall. But 2nd was definitely not what I wanted rules wise. It wants to be really narrative, but has too much crunch for that, yet not enough to even be as good as 1st.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Is New Vampire even for sale on Drive thru? I think they may be fundamentally misunderstanding modern RPG shopping, even more than expected.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

canyoneer posted:

I guess Wizards is selling Magic boxes directly on Amazon now for way under MSRP, at ~$95/box. Stores are paying between $79-92 wholesale per box (depending on volume), and some of them are in full freakout mode.

OH poo poo, this is bad for game stores if true. I know my old customers would shop on line at the drop of a hat to save any amount of money.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

canyoneer posted:

$94 isn't necessarily going to hold. Amazon can sell them for cost plus 50 cents all day every day, and they're in the habit of getting stuff cheaper than others can get it. Dude at my LGS has ordered board games from Amazon before to resell in his store because the Amazon price with free shipping was cheaper than his wholesale cost to get the same title from the distributor.

As a professional Comic Book Retailer with one of the highest discount levels possible from Diamond, yeah this is absolutely a thing. I remembered during the hight of Walking Dead fever it was cheaper to get the Compendiums from Amazon, especially because paying for slower shipping made it more expensive. Margins are razor thin, so I don't see how smaller stores with worse discounts manage.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Just lol if you are not already training a crew to dominate the Ars Magica circuit.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'd like to throw it out there that FantasyCraft is a complete game. It's true that they never delivered their spellcasting splatbook, but that's not required for play, and the spellcasting classes in the core book are feature-complete.

That FC never really caught on is probably more an issue with its high level of crunch and system mastery, and the fact that it was published in a sea of other d20 derivatives.

It launched the same week as Pathfinder I believe.

Yikes. What bad luck.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Yeah, my play group has played a tremendous amount of Pathfinder solely on the strength of having well supported start to finish campaigns. While we don't think that Pathfinder is a great game in all respects, it has so much support for adults with jobs who just can't make time to scratch build a huge campaign.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Why is Fantasycraft even being discussed? I really like it, but it is ultimately just another forgotten little rpg that faded away.

Glad I didn't pre-order Spellbound though, I almost did because I was enjoying FC so much at the time.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Boy, these free speech champions get really mad when a private company chooses to exercise their rights. I guess they would prefer to have the government step in and decide what this business is allowed to do.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

Does rpg net have customers? What do they buy?

Everyone is a customer, even if they didn't have ads and things they are still providing the service of a forum. Groups that provide services for free are pretty much always a business unless the are specifically a non profit one.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Hell yeah, I am vindicated as hell with regards to John Wick Publishing. RiP.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

JOHN WICK posted:

After reviewing the company finances in August, I discovered JWP was not making enough to sustain its current work force. And so, in the ugliest and hardest day of my life, I had to lay off all the JWP employees.

What this means is the 7th Sea lines are going to slow down. I cannot maintain the release schedule we promised before GenCon. That doesn’t mean books aren’t going to happen, it just means they’re going to be slower than expected.

Hey folks, it's time for the November update. 

First, let's talk about the next Secret Societies chapter!

Secret Societies!

Here's the link for Močiutės Skara. The most benevolent of the Secret Societies.

New Adventure!

Also, I have a new adventure up: Who Killed Lord Wójcek? It's a reskin of an old adventure I wrote that fit 7th Sea perfectly. You can get it on both Drivethru and JWP.com.

Schedule Update

I’ve been talking to various companies about partnering with JWP to continue printing 7th Sea as well as expanding it into territories JWP couldn’t. We tried doing board games (twice) and both times failed. Another company, with a stronger reputation for making board games, could make War of the Cross fly in a way I couldn’t. That’s why I’ve been talking to other publishers about partnering up to fulfill our 7th Sea obligations.

For both Secret Societies and the Map Pack, I anticipate a Feb-May release. This may be sooner depending on a lot of factors. As soon as those projects are done, I can let you know where everything else stands. I'll have a better idea of the entire release schedule once negotiations are done with our potential publishing partners.

If you have any questions, ping me. I'll do my best to answer them.

2018 has been an awful year for everyone, myself included. Let's hope for a better 2019.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I assume they were banking on Khatai making 7th Sea level money, or people caring (twice!) about a bland board game nobody asked an rpg company to do.

Transmedia is poison. I wonder how much got spent on the pitch trailer for a 7th Sea movie or whatever.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

It's a shame, because the setting writing was consistently top notch.

The books were extremely beautiful, no doubt. I liked the writing a lot until I realized that the only reason I was enjoying it was that I was very familiar with all the first edition books. There is so much about the world that just stays unsaid, even with books covering every major region lightly.

I will say I loved the new Crescent Empire book. One of my favorite rpg reads in recent years, though the Assassins Creed magic was very eye rollingly bad.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

Plenty of people buy PDFs of games they never really play.

PS: you're a loving idiot.
Yeah, I read so many more games than I play.

I have a huge physical RPG collection, but since the PDF has taken over the industry (and at a lower price point) I am actually buying more rpgs now than ever before. The move to digital has been hugely liberating as I can carry my whole collection on my Amazon Fire (perfect PDF machine, and cheap) and look at any book anytime. Now that the Ars Magica line is done I only buy notebooks in PDF.

I would love to be able to trade my old physical books for OEF pdfs. Sourcebooks are a waste of trees.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Hahaha, I forgot all about the dreadful looking video game Kickstarter. Jesus.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Warthur posted:

That and the way he was more or less openly gloating about cancelling pledges on Twitter.

Yeah, this was extremely off putting. I probably won't back another Luke Crane thing again because he was such a titanic dick about people wanting to know reasonable things.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

What a Rollercoaster ride new White Wolf has been. Glad someone at Paradox decided to see what all the commotion was about

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Yeah, there is no way they are going to put on a big show of purging the company. I assume everyone will be quietly let go, or allowed to finish their contracts and not get rehired.

But do you really think in such a small industry people won't remember "Botched the White Wolf relaunch it caused an international incident"? I do wonder what the sales were like for V5 over all.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Weird seeing people getting so upset about someone doing something with their private property.

I assume it is most likely just someone dumping a product that sells so poorly that it isn't worth warehousing. I know I have done that to things at my business that people shouldn't bat an eye.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Yeah, never underestimate how much power Disney has by owning most of Americas beloved cartoon characters. Back when the Comics Code restricted what people could publish in comics, Disney said "gently caress that, we will do what we want. We dare you not to carry Disney books"

Being able to cut off the tap of Marvel merchandise today is just as big a threat, if not bigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

Not, mind, that Disney comics ever violated the Code except maybe the Carl Banks duck stuff.

Oh certainly they didn't. But they had enough leverage to ignore something that could have doomed the rest of the industry.