Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Xae posted:

A ton of balance in games designed by idiots is dependent on the GM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Xae posted:

I didn't know that "encounter design impacts game balance" was a controversial statement.
Glad you're learning things, but of course that's not what you claimed anyway. The better-designed the game, the less it matters to game balance whether there are casters or martials in the party in a given encounter. In a good game, the GM doesn't need to carefully ration rests at varying rates to challenge the wizard/throw a bone to the fighter.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Xae posted:

That is part of what I mean by encounter design. There are some pretty big balance problems in 5e, but they aren't some insurmountable problem. If players are just using hypnotic pattern, or whatever the flavor of the month is, having some charm immune creatures shakes things up.

To me that isn't going off the rails, that is part of GMing.

I don't think anybody disagreeing with you failed to understand what you meant by "encounter design." Many of us have seen that point of view before, and sadly, no amount of explaining ever seems to help people with that perspective. I hope someday you play -- or better still, GM -- a game in which the GM never needs to ask herself "how do I stop the casters this time?"

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Isn’t that WHFRP 3E?

I was told that FFG joked amongst themselves about giving the Fop class a "small but precious dog" and eventually even GW was on board with it, but they had to cut it because of manufacturing constraints (i.e. only x number of character cards on a sheet).

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bedlamdan posted:

Who else is loving hype for the Lord of the Rings prequel series only on Amazon Prime :toot:

is it the Sellamillion

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

I love the poo poo out of the Rankin Bass Hobbit and remembered being legit upset the first time I rented the Bakshi Fellowship of the Ring and saw the new art style. 12 year-old me was like "What the gently caress is this garbage?"

:same:

I had seen The Hobbit a few times on TV and then :stare:.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

moths posted:

Leonard Nimoy would have been amazing as Tom Bambodil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGF5ROpjRAU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

slap me and kiss me posted:

Every rpg should be a deck of cards.

This but only semi-ironically.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Cards are a good way to force your hand (ha!) and make injuries or compulsions enter gameplay at unwelcome but controlled intervals. Cards are bad at dice-like randomness, but so what? The cards in an RPG do not need to be what determines whether you hit the goblin with your axe.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The objectively best season of Naruto: The Last Dragonball is the one where they play traditional tabletop games and discuss the industry that produces them.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

occamsnailfile posted:

You can do blind writing samples but a lot more of the person's identity comes through in those, even from subtle things. There was a joke thread that made the news recently about male writers describing female characters which highlighted a lot of the ways one's gender or sexuality are hard to disguise in the gaze employed in writing. Word choice can often tell you someone's national origin even if they're trying to set a scene in the US. Things like that.

Then of course you get to serious differences of opinion in what constitutes "good" writing. Some people like Faulkner, some like Hemingway, and this is a case where both sides can be right at the same time, but the hiring committee are the ones who get to enforce a preference.

Those sound like good reasons to use blind writing samples though?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

occamsnailfile posted:

Why would you interpret those as good reasons? It means that when you say "blind" they...aren't actually. And reviewers tend to pick writing that adheres to their unconscious (or conscious) biases.

Precambrian posted:

The problem is, if the judges are all reading white male authors, their basis of what constitutes "good writing," particularly in what makes an "accurate" depiction of women, minorities, etc., is going to be based on a history of white men's depictions. The blind contest then favors whoever can "write white" best, which is most likely going to get you another white man. This is further compounded by cultural biases that anything that sounds black, for instance, is unintelligent, or how white readers expect stereotypes as realism (see Leonard Chang), which the white writer will happily provide and the other won't think to.

Blind judging is, in general, a good thing, but it's not a magic bullet. People need to consciously choose to look outside their networks and seek out creators who aren't like them. Not just for the hiring process, but in terms of the media they consume every day.

I should have added that I understand that it's not blind. But suppose you are looking, actively and explicitly, for something outside the cisgender heterosexual white male TG pool. A blind submission that is unable (or unwilling) to excise the male gaze, or unable/unwilling to adjust language to suit the setting, isn't as good a candidate -- they will cost you more time and editing.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Kurieg posted:

Jiren was a complete garbage pile of a character.

The real complete garbage pile of a character was the friends we made along the way who wouldn't stop talking about anime.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

spectralent posted:

I can also see how the environment of RPG writing doesn't make than an obvious thought even if you're in it as an industry.

I don't see what you're seeing. The norm in every industry is that you're paid for work you do on something that is eventually sold. It is unquestionably an Obvious Thought.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

spectralent posted:

I don't think an awful lot of people consider effort spent on RPGs to be work done in an industry. I mean hell, look how many people put expansions or entire games online for free, and are happy they get comments back. The only time I put an RPG up I was ecstatic someone played it. I would love that those people get paid, but I can also see how if you do that you might not think "Oh, I should pay these people who've done other work for me".

Does the fact that you can see how he screwed up excuse him, in your mind? I am inferring that you think he has a good excuse.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

He also thought friends & family constituted substantial playtesting and then had to change a bunch of stuff post-KS when it got released into the wild. Totally on board with embarrassing ignorance rather than malice.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

ravenkult posted:

''Migrate the text'' meaning...copy-pasting it into a Word document? Very cyberpunk.

I share your doubts, since QuarkExpress still exists; once they get it to a modern version, they can export to something Word (and therefore world) can read. The issue with old-but-functioning computers is getting the data off them -- might have just a 3.5" drive and a dialup modem. No USB, no ethernet.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

And if you do, it's still appropriate to keep your mouth shut about the first thing because they're not of the same order of magnitude.

oh man, is it tone policing time again already?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Cassa posted:

Is there much of a streaming side for magic games?

I was talking to friends about their BattleCon stuff and the concept of watching high level play in that game would also be super fascinating. Even watching some of the 40k Conquest LCG was a great time.

They could CGI a glow on the card being played, like Fox did with the puck in hockey.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Trustworthy posted:

Say that I want to get into games writing. Is creating a cool, well-crafted, self-contained adventure/module, then showing it to a RPG publisher and saying, "Lookie what I can do; I'd love to write for you if you ever have any scrub tier work available," a terrible way to do that?

Is there a better (or more typical) way for new games writers to get a foot in the door? I'm willing to sink some solid effort into a games-related portfolio piece, but only if there's a chance of it actually being useful.

Do a real thing and put it up for sale on DTRPG for single-digit dollars. Do many. Don't work for free, don't do "pay what you want." The best way to get most jobs is to already be doing it when the exciting opportunity comes.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

It seems like pricing on the basis of word count penalizes the amount of thought and effort that needs to go into making something simple and powerful.

If you're really doing a good job with the rules aspect of an RPG and really making it simple and powerful, that same concision gives you more space in the same page count for examples, explanations, definitions, and the world-building portion of the book. The book ends up being the same total number of words, but ends up being a better product.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Caedar posted:

It's a matter of incentives, though. Speaking as a game editor, I've seen looooots of really bloated text, and I'm sure the per-word rate that many pubs use contributes to that behavior. Under that payment structure, it's simpler for the writer to just shovel in a bunch of extra words than to create something clean and use the extra words for examples.

My experience in editing has been that if the writer is the game creator, they will use the extra space editing gives them to make a better game, and if it's a game company producing "products," the mechanical content and fluff bits were written by different people, and any savings will just be something the layout people deal with. Most of the RPGs that exist in the world are the single-creator ones, most of the ones that people have heard of are the "products."

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Do solo practitioners really work from a word budget? I figured that was well downstream of writing whatever needed to be written, so I’m surprised that a designer would say “I carved 500 words out of the encumbrance rules, so I can finally add that example I wanted”. Have you heard a solo designer say “I wanted to add a better example and knew what it would be, but I didn’t have words to spare”? Especially given the prevalence of PDF delivery, it would be a sad surprise to me.

My experience is that people work from a page budget if there's going to be a print version.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

My two conclusions are (1) white people are more than insensitive enough to race and inequality for that to be the cause, rather than conspiracy, and (2) I need to buy Harlem Unbound.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tom Holland is releasing a game about slavery, the abolitionists vs. the pro-slave interests; I can see not wanting to play that game. Some people have complained about the game art's anti-slavery bias. I fear, sometimes, that this hobby is hopeless.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Warthur posted:

The absurd thing is that D6 is such a simple system and is already at least intended for vaguely similar gunfights-and-martial-arts action stuff to Far West (whether it delivers on that is another question but it's not like GMS is going to extensively playtest this poo poo), and has its own OGL and everything. It really shouldn't require that much work to get the system chapter done and out there at this stage.

This is literally what he should have done years ago -- paste it onto an existing, functional system and eat some poo poo for turning out a substandard game. Instead, he seated himself at the end of a poo poo conveyor belt, and has been eating a stream of it all this time.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

That Old Tree posted:

I look forward to judges being allowed to vote on books after reading the back cover and the introduction and, you know, anything else in the book if they find the time nbd.

Isn't that more reading than the previous system, though?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Serf posted:

tipper gore sounds like a monster in lotfp

"I don't get it, Tipper Gore was really bland and sh . . . oh. Oh my." -- me, just now

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

AlphaDog posted:

Xenophobia is the main theme[/] of Lovecraft's mythos. It's not disguised, it's front and center to the extent that even calling it subtext seems disingenuous.

Are there [i]really
people who read (eg) The Shadow Over Innsmouth and somehow didn't manage to pick up that the fear of miscegnation makes up the entire point of the story?

Most people consume media for plot, not themes. Do you really think that if you ask 100 Gen Con attendees about the themes in Lovecraft's writing, you're going to get 100 people mentioning xenophobia or racism?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I hate that the thumbnail is small enough my brain immediately went to "someone edited it to be sonic mpreg didn't they?"

I unironically love that my brain is disconnected from the internet enough to not know what "sonic mpreg" was.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

This is like finding out that the Episode IV blockade runner model is bigger than the star destroyer one.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

reading the rules is the coward's path

The coward plays a thousand games; the valiant play but once

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Serf posted:

yay, i can level up and become a landlord

Fighters don't have access to the 8th-level wizard spell Exploit Proletariat so they have to do it the non-magical way.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Biomute posted:

If D&D draws inspiration from LOTR I guess it makes sense for fighters to be kind of poo poo.

Did you count the number of spells that Gandalf casts in LOTR?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Warthur posted:

Which is why I'm speculating about a system which is built around the idea of synergy from the ground up.

4E was one way of doing it but relied on every player at the table engaging with the tactical skirmish aspect of the game to a similar extent (or being willing to be effectively told what to do during their term by more tactically-minded participants). I'm thinking of stuff like "If there's an X level wizard in your party your fighter gets Y", so you automatically get some synergy effects regardless of whether the wizard player's actually on the ball this evening or not.

Better still, "if you have both a fighter and a wizard, the fighter gets X and the wizard gets Y." It is assumed all along that they are the same level.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I wish there were a PARANOIA version of D&D. Instead of a player being the Morale Officer or the Tech Support. they are the Fighter or the Wizard, tasked with equally-funny and -frustrating individual goals that will constantly undermine the success of the party. The gear from PARANOIA R&D is more or less cursed items/unidentified items in AD&D anyway. I would call such a game GEAS if people knew how to say it.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Counterpoint: the fact that no one knows how to say GEAS properly makes it the perfect name for the game you’re describing.

The preceding discussion has proven you right, conclusively.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

grassy gnoll posted:

As a counterpoint, since this is the ungodly year 2018: I had a dude in high school get really, really angry at me for suggesting he play a wizard in 2E AD&D because it had a spell called "gay-rear end."

I feel like this creates more incentive to call it that, rather than less.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I have played many indie RPGs online and in real life. Sometimes with SA people! Sometimes not. I hope to play more. They are fun games.

hyphz posted:

If nobody turned up to a play then the author would be blamed for writing a bad play
If nobody reads a book then the author would be blamed for writing a bad book

Definitely not how that works, my good person. Many, many, many good things have failed commercially and were not subsequently labeled bad things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Argas posted:

Make a tinder app that lets you find campaigns/characters. Bam, done.

I don't want to see the inevitable Drizzt snapchat filter