Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mr. Maltose posted:

In a world where Nick Mullen exists this is shipping coal to Newcastle.

what are they supposed to do, not have the DSA president as a friend?!

Also yea, the One Shot peeps are good folks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

LuiCypher posted:

Please repost/tweet this at Green Ronin and ask them how the timeline is coming along.

hey come on they don't have the resources of

*squint*

a patreon supported podcast of improv dorks...

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

alg posted:

This Kickstarter is locking it's content away in the cloud via subscription

https://necromech.com/vision/

NecroMech Tabletop Role-playing Game, via @Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/necromech/necromech-tabletop-role-playing-game

They have a LinkedIn group lol

Edit wow

isn't this how GW is handling its codexes kindasorta (I know it's not 100% digital) and that's barely working for them?

But yea, I'm sure this dude's got it on lock.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
dieselpunk can be cool, it's steampunk's cool cousin

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea in the pretty small pond of actual play podcasts they're fairly big considering they have no voice actors/celebs/the crazy lightning in a bottle MBMBAM fandom adding juice

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kurieg posted:

"Hey could you please stop raping me?"
"No in fact i'm gonna rape you again!"
"Hang on I need to call in an impartial 3rd party arbitration team to determine if this is, in fact, rape."

I love how this is like some kinda terrible Archer bit.

"Hey, hey Jerry, you see Mike's hand on my tit? Yea, ok cool could you take the fuckman form up to HR and sign as my witness that I confronted Mike about his behavior?"

"Yea this is a sane policy written with your safety in mind."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Serf posted:

imagine trusting anything a corporation says

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Y-you monsters, it's almost like you just don't trust corporate PR at all!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Plutonis posted:

On a serious note, I'm pleasantly surprised to learn that Pendragon and Ars Magica are getting translated to Portuguese and released in Brazil. As I consider them to be very niche games I did not expected it.

That's cool as hell, good for them.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

That Old Tree posted:

The OneShot thing was found to be an attack against the organization, and it's entirely believable for trolls to do this. Just, not as often and credibly as a lot of people seem to think.

Yea but OneShot handled it by taking the reasonable and not insane stance of 'we take these accusations seriously, here's our very transparent reporting on the investigation, we've got multiple paths confirming this was just bullshit so we're not going to act on it but we will continue to take these accusations just as seriously as always'. Paizo is taking the insane stance of 'this is an attack and how dare you????'

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

gradenko_2000 posted:

You know what has labyrinthine corridors, multiple levels, lots of esoteric equipment to plunder, and a hierarchical organization of monsters? The Pentagon

That's my new SOTDL hack: Shadows of the Defense Lanyards

my group once did a whole Delta Green story set inside the Pentagon. It makes a genuinely good setting for a kinda sneaky/weird exploration thing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kavak posted:

I'm kind of under the same rock in regards to him- can I get a breakdown of what he's done, especially besides Sad Puppies?

he's just generally a terrible rear end in a top hat who thinks the evil minorities are destroying art with their censoring ideas like 'maybe stop being so sexist and racist' and constantly brumbles about those daggum snowflakes and all.

Yea I fully believe Origins when they say 'oh poo poo we didn't know', though, they're constantly in a state of scramble so I'd believe they let a dipshit with a lot of industry cred (formerly) behind him slide.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

potatocubed posted:

Evil Hat did get some stick when they put out their first call for writers for Fate Worlds and chose no-one but cis white men (me included). Then when people pointed this out they said 'oh yeah, that kind of sucks' and set out to intentionally hire women, people of colour, etc. for the next rounds of Worlds, and have tried to keep that up going forward.

pretty much yea. Evil Hat got a bit of shade for their open call resulting in entirely cis white dudes, they said 'woops yea that was dumb huh?' and since then have tried to have more open and diverse selections and most people seem happy with that.

It's so weird, it's almost like the best way to handle this stuff is to just go 'oh, yea, ok I'll do better' and going Zak's route of spending years of your life picking at the scab of a grudge you're holding against the evil minorities is what weird losers who are toxic to everyone around them do.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

spectralent posted:

Harper has also said he's worked for free for people before, though; he's probably in the mindset of RPG writing being basically a hobby you get beer money for and raise money for glossy hardbacks. And looking at the history of RPG writing, that's not an inexplicable, unconscionable take on how RPGs work.

yea I feel bad because he really doesn't seem like he's trying to be a scumbag here, he just seems to not understand that despite the history behind it most people in 2018 (rightly) don't actually view it as a hobby and actually, ya know, see it as their job, for which they expect to be paid. This is a mess of his doing since I'd absolutely argue if anything his own past of working for free should make him MORE likely to support paying workers, but this genuinely seems to be coming from a place of ignorance over malice/greed.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Subjunctive posted:

When I was on a trip a while ago, I asked my neighbour to take my garbage out. When I got back I mowed his lawn to thank him. I don’t feel like I devalued the labour of gardeners.

Kestral posted:

Ya'll need to read my posts until you see what I'm actually writing, which is about the realities on the ground that aren't changing any time soon because of the structural constraints of a hobby industry, not the moral worth of the system.

You know why the conditions on the ground don't change 'any time soon'? Because every time someone says 'this is lame' when poo poo like this happens there's people who pop up saying 'actually it's fine I didn't pay my neighbor for walking my dog when I needed it so that's the same of asking for hours of work from a friend after raising money specifically off them adding their effort to the project'

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
also if we're talking about the exchange of labor as pay (aside from the fact that we live in a capitalist system and you can't pay rent with 'my buddy mowed my lawn') then even then that's probably a bad idea to do for your kickstarter you promised people to deliver in a fairly timely fashion because no poo poo they're gonna put their real work ahead of labor exchange agreements.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Subjunctive posted:

Would it have been better if they’d each paid the other $2000 so that there was tax deducted?

when people do work for you you should traditionally pay them in ways they can use to keep themselves fed and housed and poo poo yes. When you raise money for yourself off their name you probably especially should.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mr. Maltose posted:

“Oh no I get less than 2000 dollars, better take 0 dollars instead” is certainly something one could claim to be a logical stance but they’d have to do some loving rhetorical legwork to support it.

I mean I totally agree if we lived in a society with poo poo like, say, UBI and healthcare and poo poo where people didn't need a constant income flow to survive then ya labor trades would rule and it'd probably be a net win for society, especially the arts, as a whole.

We kinda don't, though, so....yes, money is how you thank people for their labor that you profit off.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I think that's my core issue with the 'well I mow my neighbor's lawn and he takes my trash out I don't think WE'RE ripping each other off' thing. Yea, that's a bro move for both of you to do, good looking out. That's not this because Blades is being sold for money and so are the stretch goals, not to mention the fact that they only are on the table because he was able to raise more money with the promise of those goals.

If your neighbor was making money off his nicely mowed lawn wouldn't you think 'hey taking my trash out is nice but he should probably just break me off some of that'?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

They only "let him pay 0" because he "let them pay 0" with his own work that he did for them. They traded the labor directly instead of going through an intermediary for no reason.

yep, congrats at figuring out the lovely part of working in an exploitative field. Sometimes you have to say 'ok I'm not gonna work for free any more and I'm not gonna have others do that' and that probably means you're 'stuck' paying someone for something you originally would do as a swap. When you're the one with the well funded kickstarter that ball is in your court, though.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

But he already did the favors, does he not deserve to be paid? Shouldn't they also pay him the $2000? Do you really want payment of $2000 back and forth on an account sheet somewhere so they can both pay taxes on it and net nothing? I'm so lost, y'all are missing the point about what makes "working for free" exploitive - the point is nobody worked for free because each got a commensurate amount of labor in exchange for their work which they were able to stretch further because they didn't go through dollars.

I don't know anything about the other participants but they could have paid harper for his work just the same.

yes he should have been paid too. That's literally the entire point, they should have paid each other. It sucks but at some point in that cycle if you want to change it you gotta just kinda pay it forward and treat others better than you were treated, and when you've just made bank on Kickstarter is kinda the perfect time to do that.

I mean, it's that or we just keep doing the 'well the reality isn't changing any time soon' thing and nothing happens.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Awards do see upticks for sales, especially in small industries like RPGs, but yea I wouldn't be shocked if lines like 7th Sea or the Evil Hat products just went 'yea gently caress it' this year about submitting because we all know how this ends.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Plutonis posted:

The big question regarding whether I will buy stuff from White Wolf or not is this. Will they bring back Sam Haight?

Sam Haight is back.

Sam Haight's new catchphrase is 'blood and soil' and 'the wolves will not replace us'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Liquid Communism posted:

So White Wolf made an official response:

fart sound effect

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Plutonis posted:

Because you can play the countries that defeated the Nazis and because by playing as Hitler you can play as the person who ultimately killed Hitler.

e: And if you make a Holocaust mod it gets removed from the Workshop

it's this. It's not the same because you can choose to play as WW2 Germany or as literally any other country involved and push Germany's poo poo in.

And in the newest HoI game there's multiple fully fleshed out and rewarding paths to play as Germany and explicitly avoid Hitler's takeover and instead remain democratic and even join the allies and all. The game's Hitler Percentile is actually pretty fuckin low!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
waypoint is the hip new source of rage at minorities writing things in games, get with the times old man

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

moths posted:

Harassment works! :confuoot:

everyone go home, no moral!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rand Brittain posted:

Also, uh, the Clinton Foundation's books have been examined by third parties and came up as "pretty drat clean," so deciding that there must be some corruption somewhere you don't know about is pretty much a case of "I want there to be, so there is."

I mean the core issue there is basically the exact summary of the 2016 election, tbh. Clinton's charity was, legally, pretty legit because they've been doing this poo poo for ages and in many cases literally wrote the rules they have to follow. That doesn't change that under the guise of 'charity', all perfectly legal and ok, they did poo poo like actively oppose Haiti raising its minimum wage from 'pennies' to 'a few more pennies' while exploiting that cheap labor.

Meanwhile the Trump Foundation was just an overt tax dodge where his entire family was on the board that never met and half the budget went to big paintings of Trump.

Like, both are actually pretty hosed up and an example of our corrupt system, but because Clinton was a little smarter in her fraud she gets a pass because holy poo poo the other guy might as well have named his charity "THE FRAUD CHARITY FOR TAX CRIMES"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
he coulda just not put the invaders as a playable and valid faction if he wanted to massively cut back on the odds of people being imperialist racist assholes

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Plutonis posted:

TBH I think that the Colonial period is an interesting historical setting for a fantasy tabletop RPG, but I think Elephant and the Macaw Banner (Bandeira do Elefante e da Arara) does a better job at it and did an amazing on its research of portraying Amerindian and African culture and mythology. While I do admit it sometimes does whitewash the reality of colonization in Brazil it in fact even shows the possibility of the Natives turn back the Portuguese and Dutch or even for a creation of an independent Quilombola state of former slaves.

BTW read the F&F of Desafio dos Bandeirantes, another great classic with a similar thematic.

http://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/cyphoderus/the-challenge-of-the-bandeirantes/

yea it absolutely is rich with potential, but it's for sure one of those things where if the colonizers are playable at all you have to be a Dances with Wolves kinda thing where you're leaving your colonial peers behind to join the locals or be sympathetic to their causes or something. You don't need to make the invaders full on Orcs who just want to rape and burn because reasons, but you just can't pretend 'I'd like my home to not be occupied by these strangers who are stripping us of our wealth and dignity' and 'but I'd really like that wealth and dignity' are equally valid arguments for a hero to support.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

alg posted:

This was kind of the last hurrah for Zweihander as WFRP comes out soon and it has way better art and fluff

Yea I can't really care about this because it's just a giant kiss goodbye. "Alright, you weren't actively offensive and I guess you kinda filled the void for some of us while we waited for the better thing you were aping to come back, see ya".

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dawgstar posted:

So you'd crank that down to 7?

yea that's what my group did and it's fine. It is still a design flaw because someone during testing REALLY shoulda said 'hey 8 is a weird choice because we're eating poo poo like 90% of the time here'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Leperflesh posted:

Perspective.

Average cost of a single NFL ticket, not including parking, to an average team's game: around $200. Bring a partner and add parking and concessions and you're pushing $500.

Average cost of a single weekend vacation to a touristy spot, for two people (one hotel room), including gas, hotel, restaurants, and a couple souvenirs... probably around $500.

Average cost of a subscription to HBO for a year: around $240.

Average cost of a single competitive Magic deck: around $300, maybe? A bit more?

The BLS says the average "consumer unit" expense on entertainment for 2016 was $2,913. (Consumer units include families, single persons living alone or sharing a household with others but who are financially independent, or two or more persons living together who share expenses.)

Exactly how much you should spend on your hobbies is a matter of personal financial situation, of course. But I think the above numbers suggest that A) even a $500 expenditure on a hobby, if it only happens a few times a year, is entirely in line with normal entertainment spending, and B) One does not have to have above-average means to afford or make such expenditures.

For some people, blowing $500 on a single game is too much money to spend. For others, it's fine. I don't think it's reasonable to judge someone on this dollar amount unless you know something more about their personal finances.

e. For the record, I think Cook's game isn't worth $500, but mostly because I think he's a hack and the quality is lacking in that respect, not because I think too many people can't afford a $500 product.

I mean, I don't 100% disagree that it's not a crazy amount and all but you get a major issue with thinks like plummeting vacation rates and NFL stadiums and all is that a huge amount of people super can't afford to have those as 'hobbies' either, right? Like, yea man I agree for a hobby dropping a big chunk of change for a long term enjoyment thing isn't unusual but yea there's a fairly statistically significant amount of people in the country that can't do that without assistance and the whole thing of recreation slowly becoming more and more of a 'higher income' world is a pretty real pressing issue when talking about issues like privilege and social dynamics.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Leperflesh posted:

Sure. Income inequality and wage stagnation are real and pressing issues. Monte Cook's contribution to them is so trivial and insignificant as to be absurd to even bring up.

e, and more broadly I think it's generally an error to place blame on the creators of luxury products; I'd much rather see people getting paid better and see the wage gap closing.

100% agree there, I just think it's unfair to completely deny that sadly in our capitalist hellhole dystopia hobbies like, say, magic and warhams and these weird prestige RPG products and all do involve some level of social privilege to be able to 'fully enjoy'.

It's the meme where a pig's laughing while two worker's fight then gets scared when they get up together, it's a lovely situation but yea, the root cause isn't Monte Cook.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
so if I buy that Stigmata game does my armband come in the mail later automatically or do I need to fill out a rebate form thing?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jimbozig posted:

Not surprising to me. When I am in the market for a fiction book, I don't think of an RPG company as the place to go for quality. Their books may have been great or terrible - I didn't try read any, but they sure didn't look like a good gamble.

As for board games, I really couldn't say what makes a board game do well. But it seems like an industry where you either get lucky and have a big success, or you end up struggling to break even. And it certainly has far larger costs and risks than printing RPG books.

yea I can't speak to the quality of what they did but I just kinda don't associate 'an RPG company I like' as a place to find a fiction book to read unless someone actively tells me 'oh yea that's a good one they do'.

And yea, board games are money pits if you're doing any level of genuine quality with them. Either you become a darling of the industry and get a Scrooge McDuck-ian money pit or you spend your entire career praying you stay afloat and don't wind up too far behind the eight ball.

Glad Evil Hat was able to correct course at least.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Just lol if you are not already training a crew to dominate the Ars Magica circuit.

my squad has been training for the WoD track for years, by which I mean like half of us never outgrew goth phase but hey now we can profit off it right?

Right?

gently caress! My parents were right!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kurieg posted:

I love the simultaneously held views of "The holocaust wasn't all bad because of all the medical advancement" and "Gay marriage wasn't worth death."

I love that he has fans after taking the bold stance of 'maybe if you queers weren't so DANG RUDE you woulda gotten rights sooner and also never push for further advancement because you'll spook the nazis and that'd make you just as bad as them. Also if you advocate for gay rights every hate crime death is kinda your fault too'. Like, even before he said 'well hey maybe the holocaust had SOME good...' the dude was, at best, dumb as poo poo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mewnie posted:

I used to watch boogie back when he was just an "aw shucks" kind of inoffensive video game you tuber.

Then gamergate happened and he started doing his maybe both sides have appoint poo poo and I washed my hands of him. he is, yeah, a total spineless centrist boot licker. Also voted for Stein in 2016 :lol:

I'm guessing by this time 2019 he'll have gone full open alt right.

he's gonna totes be one of those 'the left got SO extreme and SO mean they MADE me into an alt-right redpill guy' guys by this time next year yea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
also speaking of nazis and science, reminder that one of the most famous nazi book burning images is them burning books and studies about gender theory and biology, thus erasing generations of work on the study of gender identity and culture around it and giving rise to the squealing hordes saying 'this trans stuff is just a new fad we've always known there's just two binary genders!!!'

You know, normal science stuff.