Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I can believe that Starfinger is doing pretty well. Time will tell if it's a long-term success, but I think it's smart to focus on sci-fi since D&D is evidently eating their lunch on the fantasy side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Someday I'd like to see mechanics for space combat more along the lines of the Culture novels, where it's resolved from light minutes away in the dark of space, largely with invisible weapons, and executed unimaginably fast from unbelievably powerful ship Minds.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lemon-Lime posted:

There was an update on the One Shot podcast investigation: http://oneshotpodcast.com/uncategorized/harassment-investigation-stament/

That's a fantastic response. I'm impressed.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

moths posted:

Is it weird that there's a Tumblr consisting of nothing but unreasonable attacks on tos over this issue? That seems weird to me.

When I say "unreasonable," I mean stuff like demanding a response after three days and implying that this is part of a pattern of behavior.
I think that you'll find that alt-right trolls have more than enough time to do that.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Liquid Communism posted:

Is blue/orange a problem? It contrasts just as sharply.
Blue/Orange is considered best practice for performance dashboards. It's fine for red/green colorblind folks.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Wait! Does the system eliminate classes?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

So Paizo just announced Pathfinder 2.0.

Let's see if they get the same backlash they created towards WotC for this one.

Edit: At least some portion of their fanbase seems very worried about whether their unplayed hoard of 3.51 D&D materials will be compatible with 3.52.
"We are holding you to this. I personally choose Paizo over WotC because 3.0/3.5 wasn't compatible with 4th ... and 5th wasn't compatible with either. Don't be like WotC!!"
"All those books I have will be pointless with another new combat system, another magic system, another over engineered, over thought, over fan serviced system. Thanks, another few hundred dollars down the drain."
"Great... now all the stuff I already have is obsolete."
Please post more of these. They are delicious.

Also its basically "Paizo cribs off of 5e this time, lol"

http://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dyo5lkl9?First-Look-at-the-Pathfinder-Playtest

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Oh god they are going to roll back any hint of innovation because it's a game by grog, for grog

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Ettin please reopen grogstxt but only for sweet, sweet Paizo fan tears.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
let the games begin

quote:

Where does, "You were hit. You were definitely hit. You are suffering physical injury, and you will not be sleeping this off overnight. If you want to heal faster, use magic." fit into the core principles of Pathfinder?

Because I've always seen that as the cornerstone of a world that at least tries to make some sort of sense. It really is the dividing line between suspendable disbelief and simply not caring at all.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Dude I will loving lose it if PF 2e includes damage on a miss.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

quote:

I supported Paizo when we left 3.5 because I wanted at least a solid support channel. Too bad really. They won't get a cent from me anymore.

It's a terrible move. But at least they will leave pathfinder 1e in tact mostly before destroying it for money. Grass ain't greener.

e:

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

plot twist: PF 2e will be continue the PF tradition by being a slightly modified version of D&D 4e
don't toy with my emotions like that

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

quote:

I think we'll see pretty quickly when they release the playtest material if the conversion rules that they give us are robust and allow for back and forth play that will tell you just how much they care about the first edition loyalty.

If it's half as bad as it was for 3.5 to 4th edition that's your answer as to whether or not they will ever give a crap about your dedication.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Nuns with Guns posted:

I hope Paizo takes this time to make an innovative, balanced, streamlined game that is fun and engaging for everyone to play.
Uh I bolded the big issue here.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Thranguy posted:

Why don't more people write rants about how hit points are almost entirely morale, fatigue, and luck, and therefore a spell that heals wounds shouldn't be able to restore anything but the last 5 or so (and negative ones); curing serious wounds shouldn't do anything to a fighter who is at 50 of 100 hp because he hasn't taken a scratch yet and would receive more benefit from, I don't know, an inspiring speech or something...
Sit down and let grampa tell you about a magical land called '2013'....

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

quote:

Litmus test: are player characters, nonplayer characters, and monsters built the same way?

Litmus test 2: OGL?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kurieg posted:

So is P2.0 their take on 4e or 5e?
5e, looks like.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
(Reposting from the PF thread.)

A ton of info. And :laffo:

My greatest hit? They are intentionally keeping LFQW, but trying to reduce the gap. You know, a little. (They will fail, and :ironicat: that this is an intentional design goal.)

quote:

* Tighter math at high level. Fighter will hit more often still, Paladin's AC is still high, but gap between them and wizards isn't so great that the monster just squashes the wizard, or the wizard invalidates everyone with their spells. Still an expanding gap as you go up in levels, but not as drastic. (Bonner)
* Rather than "fighter is the only one with a chance to hit" now the fighter hits more often than before, but the other classes are not falling quite so far behind and still have a chance. (Bonner)

My second greatest hit?

Don't worry! This game will still be super complicated and we're going to poop out supplements, like, non-stop!

http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?5039-Here-s-a-TON-of-Pathfinder-2-Info-from-the-Know-Direction-Podcast

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Maxwell Lord posted:

What I don't understand is when was the action economy in D&D a huge problem? Both 5e and PF 2 are making shows of being strict about it but even in 3.x, barring "bag of rats" silliness it wasn't a major issue.
In 3e it was one of the signature problems.

1. Your party has 5 times more actions than even the toughest of bad guys.
2. Your wizards and druids summon guys who have even more turns.
3. There is a feat that gives you a whole second dude.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Lol at Pathfinder 2e turning this thread back to 2008 again.

It's true. All edition wars really are just the 4e edition war all over again!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

slap me and kiss me posted:

So it's played on a grid in the dungeon, movement is measured in 10' squares, spells are measured in 10' increments, but it's not based on a grid?
Um, did you ever actually play Basic D&D?

Because comparing a dungeon map (which uses 10' squares for room sizes and travel distances in a dungeon) to a tactical battle grid is some seriously disingenuous bullshit.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

remusclaw posted:

The problem is it needs to be a market leader so I can have anyone to play it with.
Start with the bad and familiar, move towards the good stuff.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I seriously don't know why they just don't go and make a Driz'zt/Icewind Dale movie already.

Other than Dragonlance, it's the D&D story every fantasy fan is likely to know about.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
"Please! Won't someone stop these talented and entertaining people from advertising my games for free!"

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Alien Rope Burn posted:

You're right, he should be happy to be paid in exposure!
...no?

Presumably these folks have already bought the RPG and didn't get free copies.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I am looking forward both to a Tolkien prequel, and to smugly criticizing its violations of canon.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Bedlamdan posted:

That Green Ronin won’t ever be able to salvage its reputation no matter what it might do, and that’s funny and cool, at least to me.

What are you projecting onto my statements?
Hah hah! It is funny you see! I was only pretending to be a bad poster!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Plutonis posted:

They are making Uno 2: Dos
It should really be called Uno 2: Tres.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

LuiCypher posted:

I think the quote that does it for me is:

https://twitter.com/Delafina777/status/978124816292069376

Wants all the cookies for pandering sums up Paizo quite nicely.
Yeah okay that sounds exactly like Paizo.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Cards suck. Shuffling is an even more dubious method of generating randomness than rolling dice and even if you're not using cards for that specific purpose, they're a bunch of little pieces that are fragile and get lost.

I guess the upside is if you're playing a game where characters are built out of modular pieces that change during play they're a handy way to pull information that may not all apply at once together without writing/erasing or constantly referring to things in a book, but you gotta weigh that against the above.
The Gloomhaven modifier deck is a thing of beauty, though. Constantly improving your deck is a fantastic way of tracking advancement, and imo beats the hell out of die modifiers.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Chill la Chill posted:

:agreed: For all we know, Vin Diesel could’ve memorized all the tables from D&D 2-5 but just doesn’t talk about it aside from mentioning it in some interviews and that one geek and sundry session. Some of those football players are HUGE weebs and could probably argue with you all day about DBZ and Master Roshi’s turtle’s power level.
Has anyone mentioned how deep Serena Williams is into Avatar, yet?

https://twitter.com/serenawilliams/status/975934803974475776

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kurieg posted:

Didn't she do some guest voice acting in Korra?
Yup! It's a small guest spot as a sage lady in one of the best episodes of the series, where we learned all about the first Avatar, Wan.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Dawgstar posted:

And John Boyega has one of my favorite lines in Attack the Block. "Go home, lock your doors, watch Naruto."
My younger kid has been watching Naruto.

That weird kid with the bad haircut and the creepy doll eyes freaks me out.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Brother Entropy posted:

that's like half the cast
The one with the perfectly round, expressionless unmoving eyes who is staring at everything like they are meat and who has an awful 80's haircut. That dude.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, I was thinking 'is that the one with the lightning, the one with the sand, the one with the Rock Lee...'
Excellent point. I hope my clarification helps. His eyes are round. Like rounder than normal anime eyes. And they seem to have no expressions, like they have been painted on.

We watched DBZ Kai together, but he took Naruto on, himself, because Netflix recommended it. He is completely loving it, too.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mors Rattus posted:

Is it a bowl cut?
Yes, big eyebrows too.

Kurieg posted:

This guy?
No but the fact that he can see messes with me. He should be blind by all the rules of animation.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mors Rattus posted:

That’s Rock Lee. He’s harmless.
No, I am telling you, I have looked into those soulless eyes and he is not.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Impermanent posted:

Korra Is Good But Less Tonally Consistent Than The Original
Whenever I see weird capitalization, I always try to figure out the acronym joke.

KIGBLTCTTO is not very funny, however.

NachtSieger posted:

Rock Lee has always been good and cool.
Well. Now I know the name of our destroyer.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

NachtSieger posted:

Rock Lee has always been good and cool.
You know on the other side of the coin, Bleach has some drat cool character design. Art-wise, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kurieg posted:

The problem with Bleach's characters are that there are just too damned many of them. It's like the manga was programmatically designed to monopolize Shonen Jump character polls.
Oh no doubt. But tons of them are rad anyway. :)