Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Darwinism posted:

Though yeah my money would be on shrinking with the market opposed to changing, too.

Their business is build on attracting 3.x grogs, who are very sensitive to change, so yeah Paizo's likely to shrink with their market while pumping out a half-dozen iterations of a 15-year-old system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

If I can get an impression of how a game works without having to go to a convention full of sweaty neckbeards to play it then hell yeah I'm going to watch a stream of it.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

I mean, notionally it's an easy fix. Just scale magic to combat, and remove non combat magic from casters entirely to the realm of magic items and plot macguffins.

Notionally, yes, but in practice the D&D audience didn't want that. They flipped out when 4e more or less did exactly what you described and decried it as dumbed-down babby WoW simulator.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Arivia posted:

Because 5e is a worse product and game in literally everyway except having the actual product identity of 5e.

Pull the other one, it's got bells on it.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Arivia posted:

No, it's true. Better content, better system, better designers. 5e is the dregs of pretty much everything and it really, really shows.

5e is poo poo, but Pathfinder is just poo poo covered in chocolate sauce to make it seem like ice cream rather than the offal it actually is.

PF is built in a broken-rear end system. Like, straight up, 3.5 was busted out of the gate and Paizo didn't change the class disparity to any meaningful degree with their glorified house rules. You know this, I know this, everyone on this hell-site knows it, so saying one is better than the other and continuing to defend that choice is tantamount to admitting "I like warmed-over garbage."

Nuns with Guns posted:

Did anyone actually care about Greyhawk?

Maybe at places like Dragonsfoot? But by and large no one really cared about it. I've seen more people pine for Mystara than I have for Greyhawk, which makes at least some sense if you're one of those (rad) people who liked the Hollow Earth part of it, or the Capcom arcade games.

I guess if you played in Living Greyhawk then I could understand having some nostalgia for it, but it was so basic it may as well have been white bread.

gradenko_2000 posted:

1. the number of DnD Insider subscribers, which was a publicly known figure, would have blown any sort of competition out of the water.

2. Pathfinder finally tying with 4e coincided with 4e Essentials, which pissed off people who already liked 4e as it was and didn't appreciate Mike Mearls doing a 180 on the design, which didn't win back any of the grogs that hated 4e for groggy reasons, and which scared off retailers because of a feared repeat of the 3.0-to-3.5 kerfuffle

Also, the 4e PHB2 got on the NYT best-seller list, which I don't think any version of D&D prior to that ever reached.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

someone who wanted a simple Fighter in 4e could have taken nothing but the "hit dude for damage" powers. That was an explicit goal of the design and a deliberate decision to include those powers.

And they'd still be a viable choice that contributes to every combat too.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Darwinism posted:

Gaara vs. Rock Lee sort of highlights that he is capable of pretty scary powerful stuff so it is 100% correct to be scared of Rock

Arguably the best fight in the series.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Also it was kinda unwholesome on how it loved to watch Korra getting the crap kicked out of her.

That's what happens when people crib notes off Joss Whedon.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

NinjaDebugger posted:

Does liking Jojos count?

Yes.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

"Satine Phoenix being at WOTC means there are literally more queer women of color in mainstream D&D than in the all the Loudly Woke Indie Game RPG companies put together"

Yeah because he chased away all the other ones by being a damaged rear end in a top hat.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

Nerds will like anything if you give them enough "lore", actual quality is irrelevant to them. The series has a fuckton of it explained in excruciating detail. Same reason people like WoW lore, or Malazan, or the Star Wars expanded universe.

This, basically.

Also it's like baseball in that both set of fans are weirdly obsessed with minutiae and present the subject matter as the most boring thing imaginable to anyone not already interested in it.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Loomer posted:

Artist/writer of diversity seems like a really clumsy phrase that's going to result in all kinds of idiots coming out of the woodwork, though.

gently caress'em.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

moths posted:

Nobody's favorite serial harasser also just recently posted a shoutout to our forum.

Maybe the Alt-OSR is tired of talking to the same fifteen people.

Guaranteed it's a naked attempt to drum up support for his book that just got nominated.

Controversy is what Bad Haircut Man does to hock his wares. Every time. It's a common tactic and it's usually best to just ignore whatever poo poo he's trying to stir up.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

https://twitter.com/machineiv/status/1016124904872144896

Y I K E S

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Reminder: Reagan was as bad, or worse, than Trump.

Definitely worse.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

alg posted:

some youtubers got passed over for a sponsorship from Roll20 in favor of a black woman streamer in the name of diversity

now they are recording awful video responses and Trumpers are running with it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK-H0dDeG38

I can't imagine why anyone would ever watch this guy's content

lol what a dweeb.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I wonder which forums all the dung beetles will roll off to this time.

RPGsite, like they always do.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

MollyMetroid posted:

The entire OSR.

Basically this. People were hand-wringing that somehow, he'd crack down on anything OSR-related that used hate speech, instead of the more specific example of anything OSR-related that used his logo that used hate speech.

It was the usual group of actors arguing in bad faith to try and get a "gotcha!" out of the guy. And I guess he just didn't want to deal with the whole thing anymore, which I can't really blame him.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Elephant Parade posted:

Maybe in ten years we can have a second OSR with fewer nazis free speech enthusiasts.

Make this new OSR focus almost exclusively on 4e and I'd be on board in an instant.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

thefakenews posted:

How terrible Ettin is appears to have been the subject of some recent post by Zak because reasons.

Is he releasing a new product soon? That's probably the reason why. Dude drums up drama to sell his half-baked garbage.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Check out my upcoming kickstarter for my AD&D clone ROMANTICS and ROLEPLAYERS.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Servetus posted:

If you meet Elminster on the road, kill him.

Kill Six Billion Wizards.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Really, who plays D&D games past 10th level anyway? Staying in the lower part of the curve is better for everyone.

The mountain of Epic-level material that people put out indicates a whole hell of a lot of people did, for whatever weird reason.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Arivia posted:

No, there’s no drama. It’s just painfully bad and boring and it does literally nothing well. It’s absolutely insulting and misleading that the fan base suggests it as an answer for every kind of game, especially at the cost of more relevant, more informed, and more useful, specific solutions. It’s the same kind of fad response that other generic systems get - everyone recommends Fate or PbtA or GURPS for everything for awhile, without actually asking if those systems match the game in question. I remember when jimbozig’s thread was named Sacred BBQ - now he’s constructed his own cult around the game, and Strike’s seeming flexibility and supremacy is their own sacred cow.

Like if you’re going to do your own knockoff Star Wars or anime or whatever game sure it could work for that. I’d use something more specific and better written, but that’s my personal preference. But it’s not a dungeon crawler. It’s not a suitable replacement for 4e D&D. They need to stop pretending that it is.

Ma'am this is an Arby's.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Impermanent posted:

It strikes me as nerd siege mentality more than anything else.

It pretty much is that, yeah, and it's something that's not going away any time soon because if anyone can hold a grudge for an unnecessarily long time for entirely stupid reasons, it's nerds.

If you dare question the insensitivity about something a nerd likes, they're going to double down on their defense and dig in, and will whine about it endlessly for decades. Doesn't matter if they're right or wrong on it either, they've got a personal investment in A Thing and that means it's a part of them now, forever and ever, and to insinuate that the Thing they like is problematic or has issues is like telling them personally that they're problematic or have issues. And at that point they feel personally insulted and they enter siege mode and there's just no hope for any sort of serious discussion about the Thing they like, it's all screaming baboons flinging poo poo at the walls in anger.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

homullus posted:

It's too bad Eberron, Dark Sun, Planescape, and Spelljammer were D&D settings, because now we will never see any of them ever again. They're not popular enough within D&D to get more than cursory treatment, and will never be released in a system-agnostic way until the sweet release of death public domain.

The other ones I can agree with, but Eberron's always been pretty popular. It had a lot of material in 3e that's still mostly relevant setting-wise even now, had a couple books in 4e, and there's the Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron for 5e. That, and D&DO is set in Eberron, for what that's worth.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

Which, since we're in the industry thread is something I wondered about. How does things actually shake out when it comes to 'Pathfinder vs D&D'? Like, I seem to remember back in the day PF actually outsold D&D during the 4e poo poo but I have no idea if the 5e release changed things. It feels like D&D still has the lock on pop culture with tons of actual plays and poo poo like Idle Champions and all but PF still seems to be doing well. Is it just a thing where it's 'it doesn't really matter if McDonalds or Burger King is 'number 1' both are making bank and doing just fine'?

PF outsold D&D briefly, during what was an anemic release schedule from WotC. They've otherwise never overtaken D&D for any meaningful length of time, doubly so since 5e came out, which has proven to be pretty popular.

But it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. As you say, both are doing fine financially (or so we can assume, anyway), and both have their niche within this niche of a hobby.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Unfortunately Eberron was a bit too early to really hit the CRPG revival wave.

I thought you wanted a good video game :v:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

The Divinity games are pretty good though.

Now imagine how good they'd be if they weren't stuck in the constraints of the humorless slog that cRPGs are.

Shitposting aside, I'd much rather that the default answer for an Eberron game (or really, any D&D setting turned into a video game) just not be a cRPG. I think that wouldn't really work with the kind of two-fisted fantasy pulp action that Eberron likes to portray itself as. Doing anything other than a cRPG or turn-based game would require a lot more time, effort, and money than a D&D video game could really get, but ideally it'd be something akin to the Uncharted series, with its focus exploration and combat and teamwork. Let me swing across a chasm as a warforged, only to punch out a guard that my shifter friend distracted, followed by both of us rolling on top of a speeding lightning rail in a frantic getaway from a bunch of pissed-off halflings riding dinosaurs.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

RudeCat posted:

That's sounding a bit like Warframe.

Warframe's an entirely different beast and wouldn't really be suitable for anything other than Warframe.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

homullus posted:

So... you're agreeing with me? Tons of 3e books, a couple 4e books, now in 5e a 175-page PDF-only treatment? That's not the pattern of growing popularity.

I'd consider a dedicated book better than a cursory treatment. Spelljammer getting a couple of mentions here and there in 4e is a cursory treatment.

moths posted:

It's a pattern of a parent company losing interest, really.

More like Mearls not giving a poo poo about it, probably. Dude's pretty groggy overall.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Elephant Parade posted:

I know; should've been clearer about what I meant. What I was saying is that you could base an SRPG on 4e, but it'd require more than just, like, digitizing its mechanics the way Baldur's Gate did. You'd need to tone down the randomness (most notably increasing the hit rate, because missing in video games is geberakky super boring), among other things.

Mario+Rabbids for the Switch is a lighter XCOM that simplifies a couple of things in a good way. Namely, the to-hit percentage is reduced to 3 types: 100% (sitting out in the open/flanked), 50% (hiding behind cover), and 0% (full cover). It doesn't bother with doing various percentages and just keeps it to that.

It also focuses a bit more on comboing with abilities and movement shenanigans. Characters can slide into enemies as part of a move to do damage, jump on top of each other to reach high places or land on enemies, and moving into and out of pipes can greatly extend a character's effective movement. Naturally there's abilities and upgrades that alter these, such as Peach healing people in an area around where she lands, or Rabbid Mario's slide having a blast effect every time he slides into enemies. It'd honestly fit the more dynamic mechanics of 4e without too much work.

Mike Danger posted:

That actually brings me to another question: is the 4E Dark Sun campaign setting worth seeking out for someone who is Dark Sun-curious but has never touched the 2E stuff?

I hate myself because I traded away my 4E Eberron book to the used bookstore when I meant to trade in the 3.5 one. I went back a few months later and looked for it but someone bought it. :(

Absolutely, yes. Dark Sun 4e dials back the plot of 2e Dark Sun to a point where things weren't incredibly stupid, and the fact that you can finally have non-divine healers in D&D means that the setting doesn't have to try and excuse having a Priest or Druid as a form of healing. It's also around the time where they finally fixed the monster math, so enemies aren't giant damage sponges but can also prove to be a serious threat.

Despoiling magic is kind of not great, but you can't have everything.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Andrast posted:

More games should take a note from fire emblem where you can either watch the animations normally, fast forward through or just turn them off

Or like Earthbound, where you auto-win battles against low-level enemies and don't even go into the battle screen. Just a little message that says "you won!" and what rewards you get from it.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

The simple truth is that there's no easy, inexpensive, low-effort gateway drug into tabletop miniatures wargames, especially compared to RPGs.

I'd argue that Shadespire comes pretty close. The base game is $60 and has models and cards for two players, and warbands have a set number of models that doesn't expand past what you get. A single game takes about 30 minutes on average, and you don't need terrain or even need to paint the models. Gotta clip them out of the sprue, but it's all push-fit so that's the only real effort in it.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Except Shadespire is basically a boardgame, but with some tabletop-like combat mechanics, I think? It does have alternating activation, etc. but it's played on a hex board (provided), and it's a deckbuilding game as well.

I realize there's probably a hairs-splitting difference somewhere between a boardgame and a tabletop wargame, but to me - and I haven't played it, so take this with salt - Shadespire is more in the vein of a board game than not. I'd say if X-Wing is a boardgame, so is this.

I mean, Battletech is also played on a hex board, but no one considers that a board game. Similarly, deckbuilding also ends up in Malifaux by way of their Poker-like gameplay, and that is definitely a war game. To say nothing of every time 40k and WHFB have used cards over the various editions.

Not to say that Shadespire doesn't have boardgame elements, it absolutely does, but there's a lot more wargaming in it than not. I can understand where you draw that distinction though, and if that's how you want to consider it then I'm not going to like, try and change your mind or anything.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

13th Age is nothing like 4E and isn't a good game.

4E really needed a new edition that built off its core but streamlined the game and replaced feats with something not garbage and didn't have bloat, and it's sad it will never get that. :sigh:

I really, seriously feel that a 4.5 could've used Gamma World as a base and hit that sweet spot of "quick and easy character creation" and "fun grid-based combat." There's just so much stripped out of Gamma World that ends up as a benefit for it and makes it play a hell of a lot smoother as a result.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Lumbermouth posted:

I've seen sentiments to that effect around the internet for a solid two years now, so it's thankfully not an original thought.

Pundowski's never had an original thought in his life.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

He'll continue to wait for this to all wash out.

He can certainly try, but people are going to hound him about his cowardice and culpability for a long time afterwards. Mearls isn't going to walk away from this 100% clean unless and until he officially disavows and apologizes for his actions. And maybe make a financial contribution to a good cause.

He won't do this of course, because again he's a loving coward. But he can wait for as long as he likes, this poo poo isn't going away so easily.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Hi Zak, your hair still looks stupid as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Since when has Mandy's allegations been disproved? And by who? And are they a total Chud?