Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

D&D Post-Modern

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

A good trick I've seen is to marry your color choices with distinct symbols and visual designs so people with certain types of colorblindness could differentiate, like the star-shaped pieces do this and are red while the triangle pieces do this and are green.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Sion posted:

Oh my god I just worked out who Avery is meant to be holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiit gently caress this guy.
Yeahhhh if nobody else is in the know Avery is more or less supposed to be Avery Alder of Buried Without Ceremony/Monsterhearts, a woman who Zak hates and hates enough to not even be like "legally this is some other woman" in his poo poo writing except for when he's like "what no that's totally not a person I hate, where's your proof?" when someone calls him on it.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Thanks I hate it.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Laughing my rear end off at one of the people that they accepted for RPGSports and confident that the entire thing is just an irredeemable wreck I can comfortably watch from far away.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Flavivirus posted:

Where can we see the lists of... players? Performers?
https://rpgsports.tv/

Roll on down to the Twitter feed on the page but spoilers it's this.

https://twitter.com/RPGSportsTV/status/1053239602302083078

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

My god... I went in expecting the worst and somehow this goes beyond that.
Love to see him just take 10 at everything all the time because the truth is in the middle.

(all jokes aside Boogie can gently caress off and die)

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

Didn't WotC wash their hands of him, too, after it came out that he's an associate of that Unsleeved Media fuckhead? I remeber hearing about him crying to KotakuinAction about it.
I legit couldn't tell you, I know the dude is toxic but I don't know of his toxicity from a tabletop angle, only from everything else he does.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Wrestlepig posted:

just because he has a sexual fetish for women inflating and his main work has terrible racial politics and stereotyping of lesbians as predatory doesn't mean he likes the alt-right.
"The guy who wrote an entire module that has age regression and unbirthing as an option tied into an enemy encounter and rampant eroguro lady pain imagery in addition to ten thousand years of Horny Willy Wonka has decided to publicly denounce a prominent industry shithead and back away from him" is peak 2018 "that awful person you know has a really good point".

I mean it also rings kinda hollow after his Ennie success so he can stand to stand alone now but better late than never I guess.

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Nov 12, 2018

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

I think my new life goal is to argue that nothing I do can be wrong because of the way rocks move in curves in space.
Astrology Rules Everything Around Me.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

fr0id posted:

What do people think about this whole idea of purging all works from one’s life by an author due to them being a bad individual? I get the idea of not wanting to give them anymore money, though that seems like a kind of weird punitive capitalistic take on things. I also get the idea that allowing living people to continue to have influence in a community is bad when their influence is toxic. If their work is also toxic and problematic that’s another issue as well and I can see wanting to be rid of it. But we still draw from and use works by very personally and artistically problematic authors like HP Lovecraft. Is it a matter of waiting until the author is dead to enjoy their work? Or is there something deeper going on where people pick and choose things like watching Polanski films but refusing to watch Kevin Spacey stuff? Where is the line drawn?

Note: this is not about censorship or free speech or any of that nonsense. This is asking about people’s thoughts on individual use of media by problematic authors.
I mean honestly it depends on what the creator did. Your own line-drawing is subjective, that's the long and short of it. The most important thing is for you to go back and revisit what makes you enjoy them through a new critical lense, not to just cherry-pick and be like "oh ho, I will find the thing that I think either proves or disproves these notions, and then I will have a definitive answer on whether or not to enjoy this media!" Because it's not a binary answer and one person's killshot grade A-evidence is another's fallacious claim because whoops critical theory is wildly subjective. I went to school for lit crit. You don't come up with these passages and citations to change minds but to provoke a reasonable conversation or inner discussion by opening up the text.

Just go back and look at it and see how you feel now after you've grown and learned and experienced more, that's the best you can do. Sometimes you find you won't support the creator's works anymore because you can't stomach it, sometimes you just refuse to go back at all because the new lense is just that troubling, sometimes you have to accept your fave is problematic but some part of the work still means something to you. These are all valid reactions. And then you go from there, into your own personal debate over whether or not to vote with your wallet or do a piracy or however you'll approach whether or not to keep consuming the work. Everything is case by case.

The most important thing you can do is take inspiration from a place that was once unequivocally your jam, figure out what you liked, and then broaden your horizons by dipping into other creators that do something similar but different enough. Alternately, use it as inspiration for your own work. Steal what works for you and then make it better.

And if you keep enjoying it and keep consuming it, make sure that's your choice. Ignorance is never an excuse. Someday someone feeling punchy will call you on it and at the very least you want to be able to defend yourself with why you're still consuming it instead of getting in a highly regrettable slapfight argument.

Just make sure you question works and creators when new info comes to light for you.

So yeah, we still use Lovecraft to some extent but that's because something in his writing speaks to people. But if you look at what rolls down the line, what's better: the stuff that just tries to be More Lovecraft or the stuff that takes some aspect and uses it as a jumping off point? Delta Green, for example. Their take on the Tcho-Tcho is regrettable and pointless. It just keeps perpetuating the Lovecraft ideal of "sometines xenophobia is the answer" without questioning it or doing anything different besides "they now have antidefamation lawyers". Contrast their take on the King In Yellow and exploring surreal horror around the framework of "what if Hastur is just the universal constant of entropy given an anthropomorphic form".

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 5, 2018

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Silent Legions also lets you randomly generate their epitaths and names. This is good for making good and evocative titles for the gods and also names you'll never call them because the titles are better and actually pronouncible.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Good daycycle, citizen! Is your Mandatory Fun Mandatory License in order for that game of Vulture Squaddies & Vertical Shafts you're planning on running? Please hold the license over your head with nine nine nine nine nine nine nine nine nine nine thirty seconds to comply.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

The main problem I have is the fact that the writing is trying to be fluffed out like a school essay and it's attached to an aspect of D&D (the gods in general) that only has weight if you give them any weight or time of day and don't just use d20 as a means by which to make your own world. They're coaching the language in trappings and examples to try and soften the meaning of what they're saying when what they mean should be a lot more simple. "You don't need to be confined to binary notions of sex and gender. LGBT+ identities such as being nonbinary, trans or gay are all valid choices for what makes your character your character. Use them to flesh out their identity and personality but don't use them as props or behavioral shorthand. If you don't feel comfortable exploring these identities, that's okay. Just be respectful and supportive of other players who do."

e: upon walking away for a second I realize it should be gender identity and sexual orientation, that's a lot more clear and accurate. I'm not going to pretend what I'm putting forth is perfect. It isn't. I didn't say anything about queer folks or ace/aro folks, it's just a matter of the fact that the rule of three examples lends itself well to getting points across and that's why I chose the LGBT+ banner because from my understanding that encompasses the longer form of the acronym which is why I mentioned nonbinary people. I just think a concise and clear mini paragraph that doesn't have any Appeals To Lore is a good starting off point.

ee: the more I think about it the more I think it's weird to keep calling Corellion "gloriously fluid". It's the implication of the word glorious; is Correllion being fetishized for being fluid or is the way they're fluid glorious and if so how exactly are they glorious. "Oh look, there's Correllion being Fluid As Hell again, that's just how they do."

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 29, 2018

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

To not just continue to call D&D a big box of amalgamated Legos bought at a garage sale with some notable parts, your points are absolutely valid and should definitely be considered.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

I know there was a Savage Worlds conversion that's way more playable from what I've seen but like...yeah, SLA has its place and its place is that weird pseudo-2000AD RPG scene where criticizing people watching TV is a relevant social message. I still like it but like. I'm glad it's playable under SW but that's probably all I need.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

hyphz posted:

It’s precisely because they are; leisure time is scarce, and leisure time for an activity lacking side benefits (ie, physical exercise) is even more so. The ROI requirement is much higher.
Warhammer401K.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

RPPR is good for actual actual plays of stuff where you have one player just start talking about how d20 is bad while playing 3.5 or just waffling over a course of action for five minutes before they realize a flaw in the plan. It's kind of rough in old places due to language and humor because it's been running for A While but they've done a good job of changing with the times and to be honest I now actually understand how Gumshoe's gameplay flows now as a result of seeing it in motion. It really does do a good job of letting you see how these things work or fail to and when the GM will just let stuff slide for the sake of running a smoother game.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Bully Pulpit Games and Dennis Detwiller have presences on Drip and Drip looks pretty decent in terms of service and also success for them so good on them for branching out early.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Why would anyone in their right mind want to copy YouTube, a thing that notoriously loses money?
Because the investors in the platform have a head like a hole and are beholden to profit above all with all other goals as distant seconds. Patreon is a means to an end to generate investment. It doesn't matter to them how many people need it to survive. It should just do everything and be everything to get all the money and survive. If it doesn't, and it won't, keep beating it until it dies, count your coins and wander off to find new investments to squeeze while ignoring the lamentations of the dying and doomed.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

It's incorporating juggling chainsaws into juggling knives to get extra change from the crowd to help cover medical expenses of your numerous lacerations while not actually stopping juggling the knives.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

PST posted:

I don't know if it's brigading from the MGTOW or red pill bullshit, but there's been this ongoing thing with zak and now matt about how obviously the fee-males deserve it, and it's far worse to accuse a man of anything.
It is and it's also tactics learned from Gamergate. There is very high overlap in the MGTOW, PUA redpill, MRA and cis white gamers with chan experience department and as a result they will often borrow each other's tactics of DARVO, move the goalposts, appeal to emotion with no substantial proof and harass/assault.

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 19, 2019

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

"We shall graciously draw attention to this already extant thing and let it continue to be so. [pause] That is all."

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

hyphz posted:

Pundit just seems to be soliciting Patreons for some other show where him, Desborough and someone called Venger Satanis discuss "controversial topics" by using echoing mics and jump cutting between one of their faces, a weird neon doodle of a devil and the cover of one of Pundit's books.
Venger Satanis is a high priest of Cthulhu and is responsible for the rule on RPG.net that you're not allowed to hex the mods with a curse.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

God, today I was listening to the System Mastery episode on WEGs Star Wars and was sitting at my desk laughing at the incredibly morbid story of an Ewok slowly coming to terms with its own mortality as it keeps spiraling into worse health by failing its healing checks until it dies.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

And it's interesting that they seem to have quietly but completely written out Tiberius.
According to a friend who's way more in the know, Tiberius' player was a rules-lawyering dick who kept trying to put real-world physics in the game and do the typical "shotgun wizard ruins everything" maneuever as a sorcerer. At one point he tried to build a death ray out of mirrors and light sources. He left the party and the show when his metagaming set up a device where an old woman was killed in public on the street as a result. Clashing with the tone of the show and with the party resulted in him leaving and more or less trying to insist things that happened off-screen were canon, namely sex with a NPC. Mercer's response was more or less "none of this is canon, go away". Also the player tried to start his own series with Tiberius as the focus called Draconian Knights and had art commissioned of things he insisted were canon, namely sex with aforementioned NPC.

So he's no longer part of the show and the parting was not exactly amicable as a result. Complicating ever referencing/using the character again is that his player, Orion Acaba, has admitted to domestic violence and been accused of sexual assault. By my friend's metric, because CR and Mercer were responsible for Acaba leaving because he was a problem, they don't want to include any hint of him to begin with because they already don't like addressing the whole thing and are trying to keep the severance polite.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

[slowly drags the company mechanics from Reign out of where I've been keeping them in case of emergency]

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Where are the General Sherman LARPers, they are needed here most of all.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And just when you thought Paranoia's style of satire had been tapped out...
It is, White Box is pretty bad thanks to behind the scenes shenanigans and just a general sense of not knowing what the hell to make so it has no real audience.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Rhandhali posted:

I would love to hear more about this. I picked up the white box and there’s a lot of stuff I really liked about it, but XP is still my preferred edition.
Short version: Mongoose didn't really care besides "make game, fulfill Kickstarter" and James Wallis was supposed to be doing a remake of Baron Munchausen at the same time as he was working on Alas Vegas and then he became one of the creative leads of White Box Paranoia. It's heavily implied Mongoose got incredibly fed up with him and put a gun to his head at some point.

Long version: this whole writeup by Warthur is pretty good. https://refereeingandreflection.wordpress.com/2018/11/01/kickstopper-first-as-farce-then-as-tragedy/

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

I give Modiphius a light side-eye for the Mutant Year Zero spin-off game about playing Bunker Fascists but that's more Free League making a questionable game in general.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Tarnowski is not a facist. He's a wizard.

I am not making this up.
Yeah like wizards can't be fascists.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Name 3 fascist wizards
Grindelwald, Lucius Malfoy and Blackwolf from Wizards.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

The notion of F&F being a "successful right-wing harrassment mob" has put the dopiest smile on my face and a genuine warmth in my heart that makes it all feel worthwhile.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Warthur posted:

At first I misread that as "the dankest poo poo" and then after reading the rest of that bit I'm not sure that wasn't what was intended.
He probably meant darkest considering he kept turning his nose up at OP's Chronic-cles of Darkness.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

I'm mad at all of you for convincing me to spend this afternoon digging up PDFs for 20 year old games to give them a look because this all sounds dope as gently caress and that's actually well-written right-wing fascist planning.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Who is the co-writer on it? I'm curious if she's tied into the network of shitheads I keep loose tabs on
Sarah Horrocks, I think.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

You can quit drugs all you want but if you keep hanging around your junkie friends and the places you crash at while high and watch what the drug dealers are up to, you're not gonna improve as a person and move on to other things. Quit looking at those poisonous websites. Start talking to new people who are different from that whole scene. Talk to the people they hated and support them. Sober up.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

There's so much wrong with all of that. I don't know where to begin nor do I feel like I should begin. It evokes the same sort of visceral emotional reaction as watching someone in a crying jag openly and knowingly lie to you. You're angry but there's just this powerful sense of disgusted pity and the deep feeling that it'll be okay if you just walk away and let the consequences of their actions loving obliterate them. You don't need to enable them or destroy them. They're already being destroyed. You can just live comfortably not giving them the time of day and ignoring their screams as they're eaten alive. The profound emotion of "it's really sad you believe all of this and I won't be at your funeral".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

The new System Mastery is very good. Congrats for spending as long of the episode as you did tactfully acknowledging the elephant in the room (and then the rest of the episode where you don't). https://systemmasterypodcast.com/2019/06/18/dungeons-dragons-5th-edition-system-mastery-150/