Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

And it's making me wonder why some people have such a hard time understanding the difference between mining current, real-life genocides for RPG plot hooks and writing fictional bad people for made-up stories?

It's one of the easiest and biggest sins of urban fantasy, making real atrocities be actually the fault of whatever baddie you want to pump up. It's cheap heat, but all it does in the end is look like you're trying to make humans look less like monsters than they really are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

Honestly, I am willing to believe far-right Russian assholes would send death threats over suggesting the Chechnyan purge is bad, even in the worst, most ham-fisted, least sensitive way that the guy did it.

I am also willing to believe he broke NDA because he was whiny.

But most of all. I am certain he used a metaphor which implies he's physically unable to produce good work.

I find it hard to believe that the Russian Far Right would come to learn about this controversy so fast since they don't share the same online spaces as the people who brought that VtM thing up.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Meinberg posted:

I know it's a rhetorical question, but it's because the privilege of the writers makes them unable to understand that the persecutions of marginalized people are real things that effect people. If it doesn't effect them, then it is inherently less real to these writers. This is why designers should hire sensitivity readers if they're working on material that's anywhere close to real-world marginalizations.

My question was a bit serious, at least as far as MRH is concerned. He's been happy to remind people that he has "on the ground" experience with combating fascism and nonviolent protesting. It leaves me wondering why, but the answer is probably something along the lines of a fragile, entitled ego.

NinjaDebugger posted:

It's one of the easiest and biggest sins of urban fantasy, making real atrocities be actually the fault of whatever baddie you want to pump up. It's cheap heat, but all it does in the end is look like you're trying to make humans look less like monsters than they really are.

It maaaybe made more sense 20 or 30 years ago when everyone assumed that conspiracy theories would always stay on the fringe, so a fictional setting where vampires secretly have pulled the strings behind every war in human history or whatever was "obviously fake and harmless". Nowadays, anyone with with any touch of awareness should know how quickly misinformation and fear mongering drag conspiracy theories into the mainstream, and poisons discourse.

Also it looks like Holden stole the screenshots off here to keep grinding his axe against WW/OPP. Hey Holden: your friend is a sexual predator and you're a fuckhead.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Mors Rattus posted:

Honestly, I am willing to believe far-right Russian assholes would send death threats over suggesting the Chechnyan purge is bad, even in the worst, most ham-fisted, least sensitive way that the guy did it.

I am also willing to believe he broke NDA because he was whiny.

But most of all. I am certain he used a metaphor which implies he's physically unable to produce good work.

I'm pretty sure that the truth is that he's a lying shitbag. His total 'i'm not saying I wrote it, but let me go at great length to defend the writing and dismiss all the criticism', now followed up by his typical 'how dare anyone criticise me' bullshit, to the 'of course i've had death threats' bullshit just confirms it, because he's a pustulent buboe in the industry who deserves nothing but contempt.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Also it looks like Holden stole the screenshots off here to keep grinding his axe against WW/OPP. Hey Holden: your friend is a sexual predator and you're a fuckhead.

Comically if, say, Holden blocked you in the past because you'd called him out for defending sexual assault, and you then got into a discussion in which you were calling him out for that, he'll miraculously suddenly unblock you, not at all because he's an unethical, pathetic piece of poo poo who defends sexual harassers and then lies about it. Which of course he is.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
"So, I will be playing a Brujah. I have a ghoul that was his lover in real life."

"Oh, cool, got a name for her yet?"

"Her?... my character is extremely gay."

"Ooof. You can't play a gay vampire in this game, sorry."

"What? All the characters in vampire novels, they are gay, yes?"

"But in this game, it is topical, so you cannot play a gay vampire. The vampires here hate gay people in our country, it says in this book. It is very clear."

"Man, vampires are assholes."

"And that is why you cannot play a gay one."

Ligament
Jun 12, 2018
Biscuit Hider
"Why does this keep happening?" - people who are definitely in control of their Brand

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

NinjaDebugger posted:

yea it's a hard scale to balance. You obviously don't wanna say 'well we can't be topical at ALL here' in an urban fantasy thing but at the same time 'actually police violence against black people is a werewolf plot' is super not a good idea.

Most non hack writers have supernatural elements be PART of it, to create the horror element that these inhuman monsters are merely participants in a very human act of evil and at the end of the day it's us who's feeding our own threats with our small mindedness and ability for evil.

It seems our friends at OP do not have enough of those non hacks, though.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

White Wolf. Onyx Path is a separate group, who make their own mistakes sometimes, but aren’t involved in this one.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I'm still not clear on whether NuWW put the Camarilla book together themselves with freelancers, or if they hired it out to a non-OP group who have their own stable of authors, or some combination of the two.

But it's very clear Onyx Path wasn't involved, thankfully.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mors Rattus posted:

White Wolf. Onyx Path is a separate group, who make their own mistakes sometimes, but aren’t involved in this one.

gently caress I always twist those. Yea WW not OP, OP's mostly cool

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
OPP Wouldn't touch MR*H with a ten foot pole, Rich Thomas worked there at the same time as Rein*Hagen.

Swedracula only knows of MR*H as the fabled avantgarde developer of his favorite game line. So of course when he set up his Cargo Cult White Wolf he'd bring on the legendary creator of his favorite game!

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
And I mean, that's fair too - asking Gygax to come on board for an OSR thing (if he was alive) would make sense too. The problem is not shitcanning him when it becomes immediately obvious he's an utter fuckwit.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It's also something they could have learned if they asked OPP, but they seem to only do that if they have no other options.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Speaking of alt-right gaming companies, the dude who wrote Blood In The Chocolate is denouncing and separating from Legend of the Flame Princess after James Raggi turned out to be a big fan of Jordan Peterson. I have no idea how this comes as a surprise, exactly.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Pope Guilty posted:

Speaking of alt-right gaming companies, the dude who wrote Blood In The Chocolate is denouncing and separating from Legend of the Flame Princess after James Raggi turned out to be a big fan of Jordan Peterson. I have no idea how this comes as a surprise, exactly.

I was not expecting that sentence to end with the Blood In The Chocolate dude being the principled and ethical person here.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Ratoslov posted:

I was not expecting that sentence to end with the Blood In The Chocolate dude being the principled and ethical person here.

just because he has a sexual fetish for women inflating and his main work has terrible racial politics and stereotyping of lesbians as predatory doesn't mean he likes the alt-right.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Pope Guilty posted:

Local sex weirdo and flagrant homophobe denounces flagrant misogynist and right-wing chud he worked with happily, specifically and only when said chud is revealed to be a fan of a quack psychiatrist that chuds love (and who only has a doctorate because it's through one of the only programs left that teaches Freudian techniques with a straight face).

This loving hobby. Swear to god.

E: wrong alt-right writer

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Wrestlepig posted:

just because he has a sexual fetish for women inflating and his main work has terrible racial politics and stereotyping of lesbians as predatory doesn't mean he likes the alt-right.
"The guy who wrote an entire module that has age regression and unbirthing as an option tied into an enemy encounter and rampant eroguro lady pain imagery in addition to ten thousand years of Horny Willy Wonka has decided to publicly denounce a prominent industry shithead and back away from him" is peak 2018 "that awful person you know has a really good point".

I mean it also rings kinda hollow after his Ennie success so he can stand to stand alone now but better late than never I guess.

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Nov 12, 2018

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
So I'm not super familiar with World of Darkness stuff aside from knowing the Underworld movies ripped them off wholesale, and really digging the recent show using the new edition from G&S. Basically anything I know regarding WoD Vamps is based on the ones in the USA, so as an outsider seeing glimpses of this stuff it feels like they were trying to go with the idea that vampires had more direct control over things in a foreign country that has some Really Bad poo poo happening in it in reality, and the way they went about connecting those vampires to it was done poorly. Whereas in the USA the control is more about the media and controlling politicians.

Does that sound about right?

As an outsider it does sort of make sense at first thought to connect horrible monsters with horrible acts, but they really could have gone about it a better way.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

I feel like it should have been obvious Raggi was that kinda guy years ago, but then I didn't write the Choccy Horror Minstrel Show :shrug:

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
None were more surprised than I, when -

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

NinjaDebugger posted:

I remember an old joke that Hitler was the only real human in charge of anything in the OWoD.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Is there a page or a post somewhere summarizing the NuWW assholery apart from that one blog that caused a minor uproar earlier?

Cocomonk3
Oct 21, 2010

Loomer posted:

I prefer viking recreationists, who use actual steel, just not sharpened. Since it's all play fighting anyway it's almost as safe as latex and rattan.

I've also done this! A lot of fun. Larp in Perth was basically created by reenactment groups who do steel work, so we have a pretty grounded base. I find larp more fun since there's a lot more people involved and I can do dumber stuff.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Rand Brittain posted:

Crane is a good designer but his business is basically designed around making exactly the product he wants to use himself, and he won't lift a finger to accommodate anybody else (see: he doesn't use PDFs, so nobody gets one).
...Biomute, are you Luke Crane?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Seems like a good way to get your hand crushed, alternatively brained.

Warthur posted:

...Biomute, are you Luke Crane?

I wish, he is the sexiest man alive.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Arthil posted:

So I'm not super familiar with World of Darkness stuff aside from knowing the Underworld movies ripped them off wholesale, and really digging the recent show using the new edition from G&S. Basically anything I know regarding WoD Vamps is based on the ones in the USA, so as an outsider seeing glimpses of this stuff it feels like they were trying to go with the idea that vampires had more direct control over things in a foreign country that has some Really Bad poo poo happening in it in reality, and the way they went about connecting those vampires to it was done poorly. Whereas in the USA the control is more about the media and controlling politicians.

Does that sound about right?

As an outsider it does sort of make sense at first thought to connect horrible monsters with horrible acts, but they really could have gone about it a better way.

Vampire 5e has gone the opposite direction from most modern games in that it brought back its metaplot. The metaplot status quo for 5e is that some portions of various world governments are aware of vampires and quietly trying to exterminate them. Chechnya in-universe is secretly a free vampire state that uses the genocide of homosexuals as media cover to hide the vampires.

Bushmeister posted:

Is there a page or a post somewhere summarizing the NuWW assholery apart from that one blog that caused a minor uproar earlier?

I don't know if there's a comprehensive place, but it's pretty much been a long serious of tasteless remarks and choices, some of which have made it into published books, since Paradox acquired the rights to WoD and nuWW was created.

Biomute posted:

I wish, he is the sexiest man alive.

I had no idea "Luke Crane" was Oscar Isaac's pen name.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ettin posted:

I feel like it should have been obvious Raggi was that kinda guy years ago, but then I didn't write the Choccy Horror Minstrel Show :shrug:

I still remember reading the 'warning' to Blood in the Chocolate on DTRPG. They make it sound so nice!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
top-notch thread title

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Oh man, Raggi's nonpology is almost literally "I'm sorry I got caught."

"I took down my implicit endorsement of a man who made his name by lying about trans rights, because I want to be inclusive. But I'm totally still a fan. I hope everyone can forget about this just because I deleted the post, even though I'm right here in the follow-up explicitly not disavowing the white supremacist who suffered a month of night terrors from drinking a glass of cider. I'm sorry you were offended, please keep giving me money."

Why even pretend to make the effort?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Pope Guilty posted:

I expected Raggi to look cooler, which I guess speaks to the gap in my perception of heavy metal fans and reality.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

That Old Tree posted:

Oh man, Raggi's nonpology is almost literally "I'm sorry I got caught."

"I took down my implicit endorsement of a man who made his name by lying about trans rights, because I want to be inclusive. But I'm totally still a fan. I hope everyone can forget about this just because I deleted the post, even though I'm right here in the follow-up explicitly not disavowing the white supremacist who suffered a month of night terrors from drinking a glass of cider. I'm sorry you were offended, please keep giving me money."

Why even pretend to make the effort?

Because pretending to make the effort is enough for a lot of people who might otherwise wring their hands and still buy to still buy and feel better about it because he said he didn't like the Bad Thing, what more can anyone expect

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Speaking of right wingers and their clinging to terrible ideologies, I present the next in my series talking about designing games against fascism, this time covering the ubiquitous trope of the Golden Age.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

That Old Tree posted:

who suffered a month of night terrors from drinking a glass of cider.
... What?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Zereth posted:

... What?

jorp eats an all-beef diet and claims that any deviation from that causes him severe issues. he drank cider once and said that it gave him night terrors

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
poor jordan peterson, thought of a vegetable and died

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Serf posted:

jorp eats an all-beef diet and claims that any deviation from that causes him severe issues. he drank cider once and said that it gave him night terrors

(side note: there is no good medical evidence that what you eat or drink is linked to any form of nightmare whatsoever)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

He said it gave him night terrors for a solid month.

He also used lobster's reproductive cycle as a proof of <something dumb and wrong about> human sexuality, IIRC.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

He said it gave him night terrors for a solid month.

He also used lobster's reproductive cycle as a proof of <something dumb and wrong about> human sexuality, IIRC.

i'll see you the wrong lobster analogy and raise you the new hotness:

https://twitter.com/shujaxhaider/status/1058359188278120448

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I think my new life goal is to argue that nothing I do can be wrong because of the way rocks move in curves in space.