Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Lumbermouth posted:

And I get that. But I think it's important to recognize that, going back to 2017 and the Mentzer thread, Holden has kept saying "this isn't the time, focus on the people who are hurting." If now isn't the time to talk about these things, when is?

People can be mad at Zak and Mearls AND Lindroos and Suleiman AND Holden and Morke. Get this poo poo out in the open. Don't keep kicking it down the line until the wave has passed.

The more people insist we don't talk about this poo poo right now is the reason this poo poo keeps happening.

Drive every one of those scum fucks out of the industry and directly into a woodchipper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

I'm sure taking a brave stand publishing "extreme content" out of spite will work out super well for the Dungeon Hobby Shop Museum. Can't wait to see what-- [receives breaking news over earpiece] Oh, ohh it turns out they haven't actually published anything at all. And their museum is like 6 display cases holding someone's battered gaming collection.

Are we sure this isn't a money laundering front?

Aren't they trying to sue WotC who have basically just laughed at them or is that a different group of idiots.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Lumbermouth posted:

For some reason, Zak is absolutely convinced that winning enough civil suits in prosecution-favored countries will restore him to his rightful place atop the RPG world. Look how often he I mean BastianWeaver brings up Ettin’s court mandated apology post as if it doesn’t make him look like the most insecure person on the planet.

It seems to be an aspect of these types of fragile ego weirdos, where they figure if they just keep screaming about how not mad they are and go tell the teacher (in this case filing lol suits) about it, somehow this will solve their problems.

My other immediate example of this is Jorps recent meltdown on video about Twitter not letting him say transphobic poo poo.

I've dealt with children who were less obnoxious and poo poo their pants less than these dorks.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

I for one can't wait for him to show up Alex Jones so I can listen to Knowledge Fight either make fun of him or not play any clips because the interview sucks.

Win/Win

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I mean, he literally makes a "I pay for my movies with the stolen gold fillings of jews killed in the holocaust" joke in one of his movies, punctuated by him handing a bag of gold teeth to Verne Troyer. "Someone's got to spend it!" So I dunno man. It's all really bad and all of his desperate scrabbling for attention by doing stuff like boxing his critics is kind of poo poo honestly. He's only become a shittier director with even more aggressive desperation for attention.

He's no Jon Lovitz smashing Andy Dick's head through solid wood for cracking jokes about how he gave Phil Hartman's wife coke which led to her killing him, is all I'll say.

Lol Jon Lovitz rules

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

His Hunter: The Reckoning was going to be based on the video game, of course, (a game based on an RPG is frankly absurd to consider) but I think the loophole closed so he didn't make it. That could have been something.

So you're telling me we were not only deprived of seeing the WoD on the big screen but we were also deprived of the absolute disaster of a film it would have been?

It would have probably been cheap poo poo like every movie he's made but it might have been an interesting disaster at least.

:(

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

theironjef posted:

Hope springs eternal but none of his other disasters are interesting. They just generally suck. If Postal is fascinating I'd credit the actors, not Boll.

Postal was the only Uwe movie I saw that I didn't hate strangely enough? House of the Dead was the first I saw and I was blown away but what a total piece of poo poo it was.

Then I watched Bloodrayne a couple years later and it was worse but at least kinda funny to watch Sir Ben Kingsley get paid to sit and look bored through like 90% of the movie.

Then Postal was....well it was exactly what I expected a Postal movie to be and I remember enjoying it but I suspect it probably doesn't hold up at all.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

:thejoke:

Yeah, it's been ages but from what I remember about him talking about it before it was canned Boll's movie wasn't going to have much of anything to do with the video game so not unlike House of the Dead probably.

(And if somebody would say 'oh, he's not pulling from the rich narrative of HtR's video games' then I would only shrug and nod, of course.)

I mean the plot of the Reckoning games were paper-thin anyway, it was a Gauntlet clone with a coat of WoD paint on it, so I dunno how much more you can deviate from "Group of people with magic powers fight monsters".

Like I don't think it would have touched on literally anything of relevance from the table top game, but it would have at least been an amusing bit of WoD trivia, like that awful "Kindred the Embraced" TV show from the mid 90s that was so cheap they couldn't be bothered to actually shoot day for night shots and have multiple scenes of vampires walking around in broad rear end daylight.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Uwe would have found a way. I believe in him.

And now you understand why I'm sad! We were robbed!

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

I've had a run of bad luck in the past couple years, and I can assure you that if you have the misfortune to buy a dishwasher, refrigerator, dryer, or vacuum cleaner while sober, those companies will relentlessly email you like you're a maniacal billionaire who buys a new refrigerator every day. Thankfully no one is emailing to ask if I have more pets I want to cremate.

Lucky you, after dealing with my dad's cremation I got emails from the place that handled it for a couple of months after about other plans and such :v:

This was of course after I'd already filled out the stupid "How did we do" survey they sent me.

It was extremely funny waking up some mornings to clear out my emails to see "Have you considered cremation plans?". Yes I did already thanks!

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Antivehicular posted:

There are a lot of cryptids that are really clearly "saw an owl while it was dark/observer was in an altered state or just scared as hell," and it's kind of great. It makes me want to write a horror game where every problem is Just an Owl. (Still a problem! Just an owl. Maybe an owl with a knife.)

Hell just an Owl would be pretty scary. They have beaks and claws, they'll gently caress you up. Just make the Owl progressively bigger.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

SkyeAuroline posted:

On the other hand, consider: the owls are not what they seem.

Where they come from there is always music playing. And sometimes your arms bend backwards.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

Barn Owls are also a very particular kind of terrifying, especially if they feel threatened and are trying to scare you off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU8eirvzQIg

You came to the wrong barn mother fucker!

Also :stonk:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

That Old Tree posted:

The account was/is a handful of recent tweets about his "game", a "those philistines at RPGnet banned me, also BGG sucks too", and then just a long parade of retweets of busty cosplayers.

Tragically short thread, I was hoping the dude would flame out more spectacularly.

At least I got to read this https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?threads/holy-white-wolf-ripoff-batman.665698/ which thanks to the magic of the wayback machine I got to see the website in all its hideous "Not at all the World of Darkness" glory.

:allears: ohhhhhh RPG grifters.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, wow, I'd forgotten about the Huntru. Good times.

Someone in the thread said they had taken the WoD and run a sharpie over the serial numbers because they were too lazy to file them off and :allears: what a perfect way to describe it.

Also loved that the website called the series at one point "Wasteland of Despair" or something like that. All while screaming about how this totally wasn't anything like VtM or VtR, and the author was talking to MR•H who saw absolutely no similarities between the two games.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

Oh, you can count on me to do a F&F of this, though I don't know when I'll get around to it. I got banned for digging up the guy's criminal record, may as well have fun with it.

:sickos:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

According to /btg/, the plot is:

RIPPED FROM TODAY'S HEADLINES!!!!

So he just rewrote "The Turner Diaries" but made it slightly less openly racist?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

NinjaDebugger posted:

All trademarks are for specific domains and only conflict when it would cause confusion of the two. Very few things are large and multi domain enough to claim a universal trademark.

Which is why the wrestler Gangrel can still use that name on the independent wrestling scene and sells merch with the name on it. I'm hazy on the details but I seem to think it was a legal fight with WWE/WW and him or something like that and he ended up winning.

:eng101:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Saucer Crab posted:

Looking through things, WWE (then WWF) licensed the Gangrel trademark for 5 years in 1998 for the wrestler. By 2003 they had released him and didn't renew the license. Then they brought him back in a time or two in 2007 during an anniversary show, called him Gangrel, and whoever owned V:tM then sued WWE.

The judge in the lawsuit apparently decided since it was a separate enough business that the wrestler himself, David Heath, should have the rights to the name. Eventually WWE no longer cared about the name and Heath trademarked it himself a few years back for wrestling and things like health supplements.

Paradox owns the trademark now in the US for usage in RPGs, and jewelry.

Thank you, like I said I was hazy on details but I follow Heath on Instagram so I remember seeing him posting stuff about it and then having a chuckle when I saw he gets to be "Gangrel" again.

As far as I know he's been doing the "Vampire Warrior" gimmick forever, even before WWF picked him up in the 90's and rebranded him Gangrel.

Mors Rattus posted:

Vampiro is a different wrestler.

:hmmyes: Vampiro is (or was) booking AAA I think in Mexico. Or CMLL? One of the big Lucha companies.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

He's Vampiro Guerrero in Puerto Rico and Vampire Warrior everywhere else. David Heath can be distinguished from Vampiro by his girth, lack of facepaint, and actual wrestling ability.

Hey now, Vampiro learned to wrestle...he's just not great. He's absolutely a dude who managed to coast on his gimmick over his in ring skill but that's like 80% of professional wrestlers in history.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

Matt Stryker, comma, the reason I can't wholeheartedly recommend Lucha Underground.

God drat Matt Stryker sucks. Thanks for making me remember that dork :argh:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Nea posted:

god matt stryker /does/ suck but vampiro was the far worse commentator on that show. just truly bad commentary all around

Yeah, the little bit of LU I watched (season 1 I think?) the commentary was dire all around.

Stryker knows the names of all the moves and he's enthusiastic but god I just want to slap him every time he opens his mouth.

Vampiro said "Bro" a lot I think? And was constantly baffled by what was happening.

LU was like a fever dream of a wrestling show. Also the set reminded me of Wrestling Society X which is a show I don't think many people remember because lol why on earth would you?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

That Old Tree posted:

This is such a waste of time. Can't wait to pay $10 for branded 3d6 where one of the d6s has an extra 6 instead of a 1. I'm one of those weirdos who actually likes FFG's bespoke dice but they at least put in some loving effort.

Ahahahahahahah.

They eliminated botching.....because reasons? What the absolute gently caress?! Are they trying to build their system off D&D with the serial numbers filed off or are they going for a storyteller system type thing with the serial number filed off because I am deeply confused by all of this.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

The design team, lead by Matt Forbeck, who did a lot of work on various games in the 90s and early 2000s, including his edgy superhero RPG: Brave New World, made a bespoke new system for the Marvel RPG: the "All-New, All-Different d616 System"

Here's an overview pre-errata:

:eyepop:

Good lord lol. You know what I don't want to deal with when I'm playing a tabletop game? Opening the calculator on my phone to figure out if I managed to do the thing I was trying to do.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

To be fair, every edition of CoC I've owned has had impressive weapons tables.

Why did Mage:The Ascension need a gun chart? Because 1993 rpgs thats why! Who cares that you're playing wizards, have some guns!

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

hexwren posted:

the worst mage game I was ever in had three players

I don't remember what I or the other non-batshit person was playing, but I do remember the third person was playing a virtual adept, probably because technology is for hard men who make hard decisions and I'm a hard man who makes hard decisions or some poo poo

the first scene involved the three of us meeting to investigate an anomaly. two of us wanted to investigate one aspect of the anomaly. virtual adept (let's just call him Alan, it's his name, he was a dick, this was twenty years ago) had a totally different plan.

A small argument was had. The two of us went off to do our sensible investigation into the cosmic horror plaguing wilkes-barre

Alan ported off into the desert where no-one was around (because must avoid paradox.)

As I and my compatriot, boarded a train to track a guy who might know a thing, Alan indicated he was going to open a small portal directly from his location to directly behind me (virtual adept, that's in their portfolio) and fire a rocket launcher into it.

The game ended in short order.

The best Mage game is the one you don't play :science:

Seriously though that sounds miserable and if I'd been the ST, that would have *Somehow* only killed his idiot character and the story would have continued without him.

But I also have zero patience for that kind of poo poo anymore in my games.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah but then there were gleeful chapters and Storyteller advice about paradox spirits and how to punish your players for trying to be mages.
I think it was a matter of different people having different design goals.
Like a milder version of the whole Infernals Exalted book, where some people wanted to make a PC faction about defying fate and coping with becoming alien, and others wanted to write a book about babyraping irredeemable monsters that only existed to be to setting's true villains, and the tone of the book whiplashed between chapters.

You nailed one of my biggest complaints about Ascension on the head. The wild tonal whiplash is infuriating in the corebook, and while I liked some of the Paradox spirits provided purely from an antagonist perspective, the whole system of Paradox was just....no, gently caress you I won't punish players because they're not playing the game exactly as the writer intended. And gently caress you for chastising me for wanting to play a cool wizard in the wizard game.

Compared to Werewolf where there was definitely things that made me go "What in the gently caress?!" but overall the core managed to keep a consistent tone throughout and was far more willing to say "Hey its your game, make it work for you" and didn't constantly get pissy at the idea that the players would....you know, use their powers and do cool poo poo with them.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Lol I'm pretty sure the last one is perjury. Lol get hosed loser

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Kestral posted:

Alas, if there's something we've learned from the commentary surrounding the Alex Jones trial, it's that perjury almost never actually gets punished, courts simply don't bother with it even in pretty clear-cut cases where the judge is actively hostile to the perjurer.

True, although the Jones trial was about damages so I'm not sure how much his perjuring himself should have had if it had been a normal trial instead of "You've been such a pain in the rear end that we're default ruling on your rear end"

Either way, gently caress this racist fake TSR dude is what I'm saying. gently caress WOTC too because lol gently caress cheering a corporation but let them fight dot gif

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Kibner posted:

Beast had a sanctum system or something similar.

We don't talk about the cursed game.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

Beast 2.0, where it turns into a home decoration/town management game with the aesthetics of Animal Crossing, but you're still a nightmare entity in the Shadow Realm who feeds on physical or mental abuse so you torment all the cute animal townsfolk around you at night to reduce your hunger meter. Next morning you plant some orange trees around your house and fish up a coelacanth in the rain.

I am both repelled and intrigued by this idea and I could absolutely see it becoming an indie video game darling with the right aesthetic.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

sasha_d3ath posted:

I'm furious I missed the teledildonic chess controversy discussion, and thus my chance to say WHAT A SCENE, WHAT A JOY, WHAT A LOVELY SIGHT, WHEN MY GAME IS THE BIG SENSATIIIIIOOOOOOON

seaborgium posted:

See, I thought chess players got their kicks above the waistline, but apparently I was wrong.

Hostile V posted:

No, that guy was only watching the game, controlling it.

:allears: :perfect:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

That second one actually is a thing, the British Israelites are an important conspiracy origin point for modern Christian Dominionist theology.

e: and the alien stuff actually got more and more antisemitic over time as it integrated ideas from the rest of the conspiracy sphere; you can track this stuff with Nordics and Reptilians. Because that's kind of why it ends up everywhere - conspiracy theorists cross-pollinate. One of the ur-alien guys whose work actually went on to inspire some early hiphop stuff literally just took the Protocols of the Elders of Zion and attached a note at the front saying that actually it was aliens, not Jews (but also it's Jews).

Pretty sure the dude wrote "Behold a Pale Horse" also straight up put the Protocols in the book but prefaced with "Replace Jews with Globalists and it's true".

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

The Bee posted:

Did she even distance from Stone?

Pffft hahahahahaha.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

Why the gently caress would anyone willingly make that poo poo up given how vehemently awful and aggressive their fanbase is to anyone who is even a little negative?

It's 2022 friend, shits wild and I honestly wouldn't put it past anyone on the internet to do the absolute pants on head dumbest thing possible.

:shrug:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

Kanye changed his name again?

joylessdivision posted:

It's 2022 friend, shits wild and I honestly wouldn't put it past anyone on the internet to do the absolute pants on head dumbest thing possible.

:shrug:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Bicep tassels close off the circulation to your brain, I guess.

The history of the Ultimate Warrior proves this theory correct.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Green Intern posted:

I couldn’t stop myself from thinking you were saying that Trump had a career playing D&D with pornstars and writing RPGs and my brain was breaking.

He'd write the best, the hugest RPGS. Game store owners coming up to him with tears in their eyes saying "Sir, Thank you for saving rpgs"

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Snorb posted:

I think 10+ would be Indy shooting the one Nazi on a tank near the end of The Last Crusade, and the bullet blows a hole through three of them in a row.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6tzqlxOr2U&t=21s

(So, what would "Belloq opens the Ark of the Covenant, and the literal Wrath of God flash-fries or melts a bunch of Nazis" be?)

Botch. Belloq rolled a big old stack of ones. So did Donavan on his Grail knowledge check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Tsilkani posted:

So, y'all want some industry news?

They're trying to bring Zak S back! Again!

https://twitter.com/MollyScanlon/status/1629629428253728768

Don't let the tweet fool you, though, Zak's 'win' isn't quite what they make it out to be.

https://twitter.com/S_Murphy_Games/status/1630001815688474626
https://twitter.com/S_Murphy_Games/status/1630454698636451840

Why did I read the replies? I know better but I did it anyway and now I want to launch all of them into the loving sun. Especially the pants shitter.