Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

potatocubed posted:

Yeah, Paizo are a pretty interesting case because they're clearly in the business of selling RPGs, not designing RPGs. They've twigged that a good product is less important to the bottom line than a good sales engine, and they're riding that train as far as it'll go.

Well, and there's the Adventure Path stuff. I'm pretty sure there's a substantial number of people who stick with Pathfinder entirely because (a) GMing for a crunchy game is hard,
(b) having literally years' worth of start-to-end content available makes that way easier, and (c) most players are stuck with whatever system the GM wants to use.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Bricolage Hero
Deonstructivist Hero
Poststructural Hero
Intertextual Hero
Semiotic Hero
Pastiche Hero

more, please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Comrade Gorbash posted:

It was in a Discord chat so unfortunately I can’t link it. The comment was spurred by the suggestion on Paizo’s podcast that they’d move away from spell slots to some sort of casting cool down mechanic.

Well, they hired Ssalarn (who did a bunch of stuff for Dreamscarred Press and Drop Dead Studios), so I'd be surprised if there isn't something that breaks the original PF mold in the final product.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

The action economy changes already exist: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/unchained-rules/unchained-action-economy/

Every character gets 3 "Acts", and doing things costs 1, 2, or 3 Acts, with most things costing 1 Act

And, of course, "draw weapon" takes an action, but "ready spell components" doesn't.

R E A L I S M

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Sampatrick posted:

The sacred cow that 4e rejected was just one of the genre trappings of the D&D-alike genre (or subgenre or whatever); that magic does things in combat and out of combat. There's a reason why people complained about 4e D&D not feeling like D&D. It may have been a dumb critique of a game, but it's definitely true that 4e took huge strides away from what had come before it. Call it a subgenre or whatever you want to call it, but at this point there are certainly some trappings that a D&D or D&D-like game needs to have in order to feel like it's a D&D or D&D-like game. I don't think there's really any argument at all that those trappings exist and form a subgenre or genre or whatever, and non-combat magic is definitely one of those trappings.

There's plenty of out-of-combat magic in 4e, it just goes under the label "rituals". The actual difference in 4e is that out-of-combat magic is no longer limited to only people that also use in-combat magic.

Terrible nerds reject this because they've never branched out beyond D&D enough to even read an old Discworld novel.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Dungeons and Dragons, generically, has basically nothing interesting about it that hasn't already become part-and-parcel of the general fantasy wheelhouse.

Specific parts of D&D have a lot more charm, and they might be able to make a successful movie if they actually tried to, like, make a movie starring Elminster. Say what you like about the Sage of Shadowdale, "very powerful wizard is actually an ornery, pedantic, thirsty old man with a mean sense of humor" is a pretty darn good centerpiece to make your fantasy movie stand out.

Or use Eberron and have a train heist movie except it's magic guns, dinosaurs instead of horses, and also the train is secretly full of vampires.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
In more evidence of how hosed up the RPG.net moderation rules are, you can't call people liars when they are factually liars.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

CommaToes posted:

So I made a card game a year and a half ago just for my family and friends. They've been encouraging me to publish it and sell it on a larger scale, but the rules are almost lifted wholesale off of another game and I'd have to redo all the art with my own art or use royalty free images.

I know there are games that are almost identical in the rules and haven't run into legal issues (Apples to Apples and CAH), but I'm wondering if this is a potentially dangerous road to go down if I do try to self publish. Is this a good idea or should I keep this just among my family and friends?

Rules in the abstract can't be copyrighted, only the specific wording and graphic expression of them.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
As long as you aren't literally plagiarizing the text or art design of an existing game, there's no reason to bother with a lawyer. This stuff is actually really straightforward.

quote:

Copyright does not protect the idea for a game, its name or title, or the method or methods for playing it. Nor does copyright protect any idea, system, method, device, or trademark ma­ terial involved in developing, merchandising, or playing a game. Once a game has been made public, nothing in the copyright law prevents others from developing another game based on similar principles. Copyright protects only the particular manner of an author’s expression in literary, artistic, or musical form.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Helping facilitate a backer-driven lawsuit in cases where one is appropriate seems like the least that kickstarter could do to combat grifters on its platform. That doesn't mean giving out contact information to anyone who asks but allowing messages to be sent to backers in cases of that seems totally reasonable.

:agreed:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

That Old Tree posted:

EDIT: :laffo: Also Dan Davenport is "finally done with RPGnet" after they made it policy they wouldn't mod "gently caress ICE/CBP" as a general attack. I literally have no idea where else he posts about his IRC interviews for upcoming products, but I'm sure the industry will feel the sting of his principled stand.

It really tells you how hosed-up something is when even the RPGnet mods can't manage to be mealy-mouthed about it anymore.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

Yeah, he's responsible for Trail of Cthulhu and his current Kickstarter project is an expansion of his book Tour de Lovecraft. Dude loves him some Lovecraft.

Lovecraft everything really annoys me, especially given the people who have done different and interesting stuff with the same themes (for example, Eclipse Phase) instead of just writing more copycat fanfiction.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I'm 110% sure he's talking about D&D-branded MOBAs and Overwatches, not the tabletop game.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1XQduS6IfA

...but apply to MtG cards.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Also, "if applicable" gender is entirely relevant even under 50s suburb Americana gender standards because some of the characters in the game are literally genderless robots.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
To me, one of the key reasons Infernal Charms appealed so much is that they entirely sidestepped Ability prereqs, so that you could put together a character thematically by Charms without worrying about having all the relevant Abilities at 5 first.

3e learned exactly the wrong thing from that, and just made the overwhelming majority of Solar Charms require a 5 in that Ability instead.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Hopefully they structure things in "Era" wrappers a la Star Wars, so us purists can easily leave the prequel/sequel stuff out.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

EdithUpwards posted:

Especially when Tier Talk

Are you one of the "the fighter can be as good as the wizard if you ROLEPLAY not ROLLPLAY" people? Because this does a lot to imply that.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Hackmaster 4E was great. I never really paid attention to Hackmaster 5E because it seemed to lose a lot of the wink-wink-nudge-nudge absurdity that kept me reading through the books for the next instance of wacko poo poo like pixie-fairy cannibalism.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

AlphaDog posted:

My HM group would have sold shares in the statue's estimated post-recovery value to raise capital to get it out of there.

Far more shares than should have existed.

Then they'd have run away with the cash they made.

Leaving behind a whole kingdom that has no useful amount of coin left but does have a giant gold-and-jewels dragon statue that they can't get out of its hole. Instead of coins, they now buy things with finely engraved certificates showing part ownership of said statue.

The PCs are credited with the invention of paper money, but don't find out about it until the rumors catch up with them and they get a fame bump without the corresponding honor increase and it fucks them up.

:perfect:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

8one6 posted:

It's too bad that Fantasy Craft never really gained any traction instead of Pathfinder. It's been my favorite d20 style game to run.

FC never gained any traction because they literally still haven't finished some of the stuff the original core book said was "coming soon". No randos want to play a game that's blatantly incomplete like that.

Edit: Especially when it's a 3.x derivative and the missing stuff is the spellcasting.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 28, 2018

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

clockworkjoe posted:

if rpg.net is wholly owned and hosted in America, what can the EU do to it for violating its law?

Get an American court to levy noncompliance penalties against the site as long as it continues to provide service to EU residents, just like every other civil law enforcement via international treaty situation.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Bob Quixote posted:

I'd take Orks any given day of the week over whatever the hell that word salad of a plot was. I never really played any 40K but I had a friend who was into it and I remember reading a quote from the Ork handbook when I was flipping through it that basically said that in the horrible universe of chaos and constant war the Orks were probably the only people who were really happy and having a good time because they were pretty much doing what they were born to do and loving it.

Orks when done in the original style also neatly sidestep most of the racial implications because rather than being "savage" stereotypes, they're ridiculously exaggerated British football hooligans.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
RPG companies are also generally bizarrely terrible at managing cross-reference page numbers for anything even though literally every piece of layout software and word processor from Word 95 on have had page refs as a built-in feature.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Look pals! We're helping!

https://twitter.com/Papa_Shell/status/1063953545030979589?s=19

(This is the SIGMATA guy, talking about his "sales strategy")

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

D&D is a place where magic is so commonplace and mundane that the vast majority of enchanted items are not even worthy of being named, every vaguely competent professional can possess several, they are routinely and casually exchanged for piles of gold, and yet society has never advanced beyond a pseudo-rennaisance/medieval semi-collapsed state in which laborers till the soil by hand, beggars starve in the streets, and the wealthy can purchase resurrection from the clergy without compromising the deterministic ethical superiority of half of those religions as defined by universal constants of empirically-provable moral absolutes on which the universe runs.

With this plus murderhobo stuff now I'm wondering if it would be viable to put together a setting that's in the grip of a cosmic-level Great Depression, so the mundane, magical, and spiritual economies are all totally hosed and everybody knows it and nobody knows how to fix it, and murderhobos are the result of the same social pressures that caused actual hobos.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Also, Jessica Price has been tweeting more about harassment at past Paizocons, Bill Webb, and being fired from Paizo:

https://twitter.com/Delafina777/status/1075848097064873984

With the related events, another useful point is that the only reason police weren't called on Bill Webb is because his victim specifically requested they not be... so that his young children, who were there with him, wouldn't get stranded as a result.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Caedar posted:

Yikes. All rulebooks are, at least partially, technical manuals. Not to say that they can't be other things too, but ignoring the fact that they're quite literally books of rules is being willfully ignorant.

And you can do a lot to shape how the game plays and even how people look at the setting by framing the rules in the right way. Exalted 2e Infernals is my favorite example of this, with a ton of powers that lay out simple mechanics in a few sentences that then drastically push you into playing your character in different ways (in this case, always lying in social situations even when you have no reason to do so, keeping comprehensive lists of people you have grudges against, using wacky easy-to-escape deathtraps instead of just killing people, and various other obviously counterproductive villainous cliches).

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Comrade Gorbash posted:

This is more in line with "standard RPG industry difficulties" than I think we like to admit.

Yeah. As much as the straightforward financial theft is kinda hosed up, it's not nearly as hosed up as, say, the events that slowly came out surrounding the writing of Nobilis 3e.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Zereth posted:

Wait, what happened there? I missed that news

Only drips and drabs of info ever came out, but the implications aren't pleasant. Note that everything there is on top of the more usual "lots of people never got paid", "the company management vanished with the Kickstarter money", etc. Also, lol, one of the Eos Press guys is trying to make books again, so there's a company to avoid.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 10, 2019

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

spectralent posted:

Was it 3e or 2e as well where immediately before publishing it turned out all the art was just traced tohou fanart?

3e had the Touhou problem. 2e is the one that just used public domain art for everything all the way through, IIRC.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Fun fact for layout talk: the Nobilis 2e layout is almost identical to the tufte-latex template for LaTeX (fonts and all), just with the page size and text area increased and two columns squeezed in.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
In these days of print on demand everything, it feels like SJ Games should make a line of a bajillion tiny all-in-one GURPS-based games that just remix stripped-down bits of the core rules and setting text copy and pasted out of different parts of the endless supplement treadmill. "Pirates of Saturn (powered by GURPS)", "Capes for Hire (powered by GURPS)", "Raiders of the Lost Arcology (powered by GURPS)", etc, each as a 30-page softcover or something. With PoD there'd be basically zero ongoing cost and it would reinforce brand identity as "the game you use when you want to mash up two different genres".

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The scary thought is that the TTRPG community has so many problems because hyphz's experience is actually common.

Just look at how many times DMs ask for ways to be ever more passive aggressive about trouble players instead of actually talking to them like adults.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I keep hearing good things about Fiasco, since it's half RPG half weird party game you can get into after a round of Cards Against Humanity.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

So then this system, with Compels, is actually more restrictive of GM power than, say, old-school D&D. At least, old-school D&D how she was played, not sure if the rules made the GM's absolute power explicit.

The key thing with compels and situation aspects (aka "other poo poo happening in context" like Oh God, Everything's On Fire!) is that (a) the stuff that directly pulls decisions out of player hands can be refused if they're willing to give up the fate point they'd otherwise get and (b) past that they have to fit into the buff/debuff framework in a sanely describable way, so "rocks fall everybody dies" only works if it can apply as a buff/debuff kind of thing rather than inherently always controlling (or stopping) behavior over the long term (because if a new aspect is added, the player can refuse further compels on it).

So, like, maybe the game's got a Death Becomes Her thing going on, and "rocks fall" leads to a new I'd Lose My Head If It Wasn't Stapled On consequence (basically an aspect-but-bad) that the GM can compel later to make you lose your head under the table when guests are over for dinner. You take the point and agree and everybody else has to Munster it up to try and keep the Smiths from noticing while you're trying to get your head on again.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jan 31, 2019

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
To this day I'm still encountering people who enter existential freakouts the second you mention that NPCs shouldn't run on the same rules as PCs.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

DalaranJ posted:

Cecil Howe, who's itch account is Cone of Negative Energy. He's a pretty cool guy.

I feel like there's a lot of lost potential in that username not being "CoNE of Negative Energy".

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
The most unrealistic part of Who's Line is that they cut out all the inevitable profanity and Hitler jokes.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

kingcom posted:

Would 100% watch this.

"At any time, you can hit the nag button and I will come right over and be all up in that DM's face while they're trying to take the boss monster's next turn."

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

compared to the 3e SRD where they didn't add Tome of Battle because they just stopped bothering

They never added the vast majority of anything to the 3.5 SRD. It was just the core books, the XPH, Unearthed Arcana (and only that because a lot of it incorporated 3.0 OGL content), and the weird mess that was Deities and Demigods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
For non-D&D systems I highly recommend Mouse Guard, which even if you leave out the mice does a bunch of things that are totally foreign to the D&D mindset, like cyclical downtime and extended passage of time as part of the system for character progression.