Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Ranged on one side: those Pathfinder fans who can find it within themselves to acknowledge that kt can do with a tune-up.

On the other, those who refuse to contemplate any step further away from rote mimicry of D&D 3.5.

Begun, the Clone Wars have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Bedlamdan posted:

I’ve never seen open development result in any serious changes or ground-up reworks of blatantly bad ideas. Either fans like what is put out in the initial release and maybe want some tweaks to this or that pet issue, or they just hate it from the word go.

It happened with the Dark Heresy 2E playtest - the original version was a much more radical revision but they toned it down when people yelled about it losing cross-compatibility with old editions and other FFG 40K RPGs.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Ultimately I think given infinite time most games will progress towards positive change, even with the regression we see.
Whilst I think iterative improvements and new innovations are all to the good, I don't think you can necessarily say that that inevitably means that Vancian spellcasting and LFQW will go extinct. Removing them only qualifies as "positive change" if they are flat-out negatives, and there's no circumstances under which it's ever sensible to use them as a design decision.

I don't buy the idea that everyone who rejected 4E in part because of the way it rejected LFQW did so because they were brainwashed idiots; I know plenty of people who did so but who also had a broad enough experience of other systems that you can't say that LFQW was the only idiom they knew. In general, I'm suspicious about any argument which relies on assuming that people are mistaken about their own tastes; if it turns out that some people find LFQW to be fun or a positive aspect of a game, actively disbelieving them is a good way to lose their patronage - and dogmatically assuming that LFQW is a bad thing which needs to go extinct needlessly tosses a game design tool into the bin which could be used for games which actually engage with it and make a virtue out of it

(For instance, what about troupe style play? LFQW is absolutely not a problem if everyone has a F and a W of their own to use as the plot demands.)

Warthur
May 2, 2004

counterspin posted:

Oh my god, we really are going to cover the entire 4e edition wars. You can LIKE things even though those things are objectively bad.
In the context of an entertainment product then if people like some aspect of a game, and have fun with it, and say they would find the game less fun if it were taken away, and in fact walk away from versions of the game that don't include it, it seems rich to call it "objectively bad". Subjectively bad? Sure. Bad for a large section of the audience? Sure. Objectively bad? No.

spectralent posted:

also LFQW is just "I have fun when other people have less fun". Yeah, sure, people who like playing wizards probably love it but I imagine the pool of people who really want to have to sit on their hands for four hours and get told all their fun ideas are impossible while Dave conjours his eleventh platinum half-demon orca to trivially save everyone is probably much smaller.
Playing a pretty high-level 5E game right now (we're at about level 15) and this is not how my rogue is experiencing things at all - and this is with a wizard player who goes all in for the system mastery stuff.

Perhaps if your experience of LFQW games are like that but mine differ then it really and genuinely is a matter of personal preference - in which case the question to settle is whether it's the preference of a majority of a game's audience and potential audience (and thus should be retained in a new edition) or the preference of a minority, which can be discarded for the benefit of the majority of a game's adherents.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Darwinism posted:

Okay so you're not so tight on the words 'objective' and 'subjective' so let me clear this up - people can subjectively like a game, that's within their rights, but because they do like the game does not mean that the game cannot be also objectively a bad game because it presents itself deceptively to the people playing the game.
I'm not following "presents itself deceptively" here. I thought this whole tangent started because the PF2 design people were admitting that LFQW was a thing.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

spectralent posted:

Fighters appear in the book, acting like they're a proper class, when they're at best training wheels for the concept of dungeon crawler RPGs.
Would it help if they were actively designated as training wheels and designed as such?

Because one of the genuine strengths of a class system is that you can design classes that are adapted to different levels of engagement with the game and the system, which is extremely handy if you have players whose levels of system investment range from "Wants to know every single rules nook and cranny" or "Will show up week-in, week-out, with a better recall of what went down earlier in the campaign than the GM has" on the one hand to "is new to this and doesn't want to be given too much game mechanical stuff" or "actively wants to be able to coast in terms of the system stuff because they're mostly here for the roleplay" on the other.

That's not a reason for fighters to be quite as terrible as they currently are, of course, but it is a reason why you would include a "training wheels" class. You could even label it as such and say "Listen, game mechanically you will end up overshadowed by others in the long run, but you might consider it a worthwhile tradeoff if you'd genuinely prefer not to have to learn any magic rules, and if your campaign isn't going to go much beyond level X it won't get that bad".

Alien Rope Burn posted:

As for Vancian spellcasting and LFQW, they get blasted because the main intent they most often seem to fulfill is "make a game like D&D". And that's not to say they can't serve a design purpose - anything can if done within proper intent - but whether or not they properly serve the needs of conventional fantasy games has been in question for a long time now. I like to think we can do better than 1974's state of the art, ultimately.
The mere existence of both Pathfinder and the OSR in general suggests that there's a "vintage mechanics" market just like there's a vintage car or vintage book market. With Pathfinder, Paizo have been pretty evidently selling to a particular quarter of the vintage market - "cutting edge" isn't what they're after.

Nostalgia appeal is as valid a design purpose as any, and criticising Pathfinder for not cutting out major nostalgia factors in a new edition is like saying that the next time someone remasters the Yes back catalogue they should swap out all the Moogs and Mellotrons for modern synthesisers. Even if objectively speaking the modern synthesisers have vastly superior capabilities to the old ones, the limitations of the old ones gave them a distinct sound and feel all of their own and the difference when they are taken away is noticeable.

spectralent posted:

Yeah, but that's why they're lovely designers and pathfinder is bad.
lovely designers if game design is an art-for-art's-sake blue skies research process where the aim is to push the boundaries of game mechanics ever forwards? Sure, absolutely.

lovely designers if game design is a commercial exercise where the aim is to squeeze money out of an audience which has made its preferences extremely clear? No. Keeping the nostalgia factor going is a perfectly decision given the commercial position Paizo are in.

Blue skies game design is what indie games and small presses are for. At the scale of Paizo you need to craft your product to fit the audience you intend to sell it to. You should not be shocked that the McDonald's and Burger Kings of game production are putting out fast food-grade games rather than refined repast.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

counterspin posted:

No one complains about the power differential in Ars Magica because it's up front and taken into account in the broader design of the game. As much as people didn't like the late 4e stuff, I had seen in my groups that there were people who were never going to enjoy 4e at it's default fiddliness level, and I was glad to see it. People hate LFQW in D&D because it's a party game and there's a presumption of fairness. There's even this way to compare power across classes, called LEVELS. But it's a crock. And that's why people hate if. If you sold the fighter honestly no one would play it.
In earlier editions the XP charts were not unified across the classes - there the fair comparison isn't level-to-level but number of XP. In 2E at a million XP the thief is halfway through level 14, the cleric and wizard's partway through level 12, and the fighter's just hit level 12. (I think they've already received their very own army at that point - take that away and they ought to be further ahead in level terms.)

Maybe part of the solution is to do class tiers and give an XP chart to each tier - so it takes that much longer for the wizard to pull far ahead of the fighter. (Of course, that only delays the problem... but if the problem is delayed long enough that 99% of campaigns wrap up before it actually occurs then it's ceased to be a central problem and ends up an edge case.)

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

I don't think it actually benefits a game to try and cater to both, to go for the stereotypical example, someone who's really invested in the game and consequently knows how to exploit the hell out of all the tools at their disposal and the guy who shows up just to drink beer and occasionally hit stuff with an axe when he remembers it's his turn.
Well there's a major benefit if you can pull it off, which is that it's a game that both those players can participate in and feel like it's ticking the boxes they wanted out of a game.

The Forge days of hyper-targeted games aimed at an extremely specific game experience to meet a very defined play agenda gave us lots of lovingly-designed indie games which it ended up being absolute hell to sell a group on playing. If you want to see your game get widespread actual play then you need to design it for a range of tastes and levels of engagement because the odds of everyone in a gaming group liking exactly the same thing are pretty long.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Alien Rope Burn posted:

That's also, IMO, why light storygames struggle to gain dominance. They require so much less buy-in and so much less time that they're discardable.
I see your point there, but I think there's also the Forge influence on the storygame scene encouraging designers to drive out all signs of incoherence and aim for a particular agenda of play on the part of participants. If everyone buys into the idea that's great, but in general if you don't dig what the game in question is trying to do you'll have a miserable time.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Bedlamdan posted:

Okay so after a lot of thinking: Pathfinder is better than D&D 5E, because I can play Pugmire on Pathfinder and not D&D 5E

ERGO

Pathfinder wins. Okay glad we were able to sort that one out at least.
Isn't that exactly the reverse, Pugmire being based on the 5E OGL?

Warthur
May 2, 2004

spectralent posted:

I think the fallacy here is assuming that a game needs to be a market leader to be good; the one upside of RPG-as-hobby is that there's now enough games out there that people shouldn't have to settle for acceptably-lovely games.
Oh, absolutely a game doesn't need to be a market leader to be good - but PF2 needs to be a market leader if it isn't going to be a commercial disappointment compared to PF1. What would be a perfectly acceptable sales figure - or even a massive hit - by the standards of an indie publisher or small press would be a catastrophic failure for Paizo.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

spectralent posted:

Yeah, but as stated earlier, even if mcdonalds acting like mcdonalds is entirely rational, I'm still going to dunk on it for being mcdonalds.
Call me eccentric on this point but this is the TG As An Industry thread, so I think it's entirely fair to discuss stuff from the point of view of what makes sense for publishers as commercial entities rather than what makes sense for game design as a white room activity. Because the latter is not about TG As An Industry so much as TG As A Craft, which are two different things.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

James Wallace pops in to gripe about a Yogscast video where they play the Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen claiming that they never even name the game or mention it's a thing you can buy, except for the fact that they name the game in the beginning of the video, in the description of the video, in the title of the video, and at the end of the video. Maybe he's got a point in that they don't name Wallace or throw a link to where you can buy the game, but on the other hand we live in an age where Google exists and none of them were trying to claim they created the game themselves so.

There's a reasonable point somewhere in there (give shout-outs to people whose stuff you enjoy, word of mouth is a great thing to give to creators, especially of the indie/niche sort) but it's buried under some self-indulgent whine.
Wallis even suggests some sort of performance rights thing, not quite appreciating that in the case of Baron Munchausen the game can be reskinned so easily (game mechanics being notoriously hard to protect under any form of IP) that attempting to enforce such a thing would just lead to Let's Plays of his stuff disappearing.

I've noticed that Wallis in general tends to take a very strong view on how much a game designer contributes to your home game experience. I finally managed to have a look at Alas Vegas recently (didn't get my own copy since I got a refund during the long silence on the Kickstarter) and the central adventure in there is extremely railroady, and he more or less directly talks about how he and the person currently running the game (it's a revolving-GM setup) are collaborating somehow. ("That doesn’t give you a licence to make poo poo up. This isn’t one of those indie games. Improvise by all means, but this is guided storytelling not a freeform bullshit session, and in each session there are two guides, you and me, and we’re in this together." - Infuriating not least because the nature of the adventure is such that in the early sessions the person GMing a) doesn't know what is going on and b) as per the rules as written isn't allowed to know what is going on, and so can't answer player questions or handle unexpected actions at all well because they don't have the underpinnings of information necessary to work out what happens as a result of actions which ping the underlying metaphysic.)

The fact is that the Death of the Author applies doubly to game designers - once a game's out in the wild and in someone's hands you don't have the designer right there to interpret them for you, all you have are dead words on a page that the participants have to interpret. I think Skarka and Wallis are radically underestimating the talent required on the part of performers to actually make a game session interesting for a non-participant to watch to begin with, and radically overestimating the capacity of a game designer to shape people's experience at the table. At the end of the day, especially with RPGs, all you are doing is handing the play group a packet of suggestions, and you aren't there to complain when they ignore them.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Plutonis posted:

Maybe that dude's point is that tabletop devs and people who work on TRPGs as a whole don't have a strong union like the SAG and are paid in peanuts because of that???
That sounds like a reason to start a union, not to be sour at people who have one.

Though given that both Skarka and Wallis self-publish a substantial chunk of their work they wouldn't necessarily benefit so much from one anyway. (Especially since Skarka isn't getting that much freelance work due to the Far West stink, and Matt Sprange has all but openly accused Wallis of being unprofessional concerning his Paranoia obligations.)

Warthur
May 2, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

"Please! Won't someone stop these talented and entertaining people from advertising my games for free!"
It's almost like it's less important that they advertise The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen and more important that they advertise ***JAMES WALLIS'*** The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

hyphz posted:

The above about Alas Vegas is completely agreed - I can’t imagine it running coherently with rotating GMs as proposed in the book.

Wallis occasionally shows up at my FLGS. He’s never been anything but encouraging to people playing Baron or any of his stuff, so I guess just emphasising that it is a book as opposed to just a random game to be learned by hearsay is what he wanted? Spyfall has a similar problem.
To be fair to Wallis, Baron Munchausen is simple enough that once you've watched a game session or two of it, presto! You know the game and no longer especially need the rulebook. Spyfall less so because of the cards, but Munchausen is one where the full game can be exhaustively explained on one side of a sheet of paper and you can play with just a modest collection of tokens.

On the other hand, if the central game mechanics of your game are that simple, you've made a bigger problem for yourself anyway - namely that it's difficult or impossible to discuss or critique Munchausen without giving much of the game away. Wallis makes the book worth buying by writing it in the Baron's voice, which is amusing enough that I figured it was worth the money I spent on it, but if people don't value that it can be hard to convince them it's worth the money anyway - I can see how it'd be harder still if someone did a let's play involved enough that others could just start playing the game by watching the video once and them copying the game mechanics from that.

Alas Vegas, of course, has the problem where if you watch a Let's Play of it, you've already spoilered the core scenario for yourself. This is true for all prewritten scenarios, but is especially true for Alas Vegas, where every single session is meant to be a huge surprise to the participants and drip-feeding out the information is so central to the concept.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Bieeanshee posted:

The version a friend had had pages and pages of hilarious bullshitting prompts. That would have been worth the price of admission for me. But, yeah, mechanically it's about as complex as basic Mafia. On the other hand, there are how many varieties of Werewolf, Secret Hitler, etc. out there?
The prompts are very useful if people's creative juices aren't flowing and they're feeling stuck. On the other hand, I kind of feel like Baron Munchausen is the sort of game I'd only ever get around to playing if everyone in the group was feeling very creative anyway - in which case the prompts would probably go untouched.

You're right about Mafia and its variants, though I guess most of the ones people try to sell to folk as commercial products incorporate some form of tactile element or game piece which is where the money is really justified.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

That said, it's pretty undeniable that fantasy-based TV series are huge - see the phenomenon Game of Thrones was, see how many of its imitators got at least some traction.

The problem comes back to the fact that more distinctive fare has already eaten D&D's lunch in the TV market.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

GimpInBlack posted:

Pfft, they're just gonna put out Fungeons and Fragons in a couple of years and then all your E&E material will be useless.

I'm going full accelerationist and putting out Zungeons & Zragons. The industry can now gently go to sleep knowing its final destiny has been accomplished.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Flavivirus posted:

It's not the timeline of events they promised, but at least it's something. As far as I can tell Black Hat Matt hasn't said anything about the allegations made against him.
Actually I think it's trash. Let me pick it apart:

- You have a scene-setting paragraph.
- You have a mealy-mouthed discussion of whisper networks which both seems to snidely insinuate that they are Part of the Problem, partly by not ensuring that every single woman gets in on them and partly by being quasi-vigilante affairs.
- You have criticism of existing harassment policies framed in such a way that more focus is put on "unethical manipulation" and "defamation" of alleged abusers than failures to protect victims.
- You have her discussing her own experience in the most general terms and apologising for nothing beyond being somewhat intemperate in her tone. She does not address Suleiman's situation at all and, if this were the only thing you'd read, you'd have no clue that anything with Suleiman had even happened.
- She culminates by declaring that she and Green Ronin are going to propose this new STOP Harassment industry-wide policy that they'll encourage people to adopt at GAMA. Because, of course, the best people to propose a new code of conduct for the industry is the company which still cannot find any way to coherently explain and account for its behaviour concerning Suleiman.

Gimme a sec and I'll look over the STOP Harassment document itself (here it is).

Warthur
May 2, 2004

OK, so STOP Harassment is itself trash.

The introduction kicks off by attempting to give equal weight to the problems of harassment and false or misleading accusations. ("However, a consequence of this power is the risk of destroying the careers and families of innocent persons, either because the accusations are false or because the conduct at issue does not fit the definition of “harassment,” and such risks can lead to severe consequences of irreversible public shaming.") That's typically a red flag in my experience - not that a policy should necessarily discount the possibility of false accusations, but at the same time the one is clearly far more prevalent than the other.

(In particular, in the light of the Suleiman stuff, it kind of leaves me wondering whether Green Ronin actually believe what's been reported about Suleiman at all, or whether - despite their apparent later backpedalling - they still think it's all false.)

Their actual definition of sexual harassment is not unreasonable, though I can see people trying to weasel their way towards arguing that their behaviour isn't covered by it (and the policy seems very concerned with coming up with a really tight definition of harassment which is objectively testable, which may be the wrong approach to begin with). It says "Discrimination or harassment that is based on race, age, sex, gender, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, disability, medical condition, religion, or sexual orientation would also be addressed under this policy", but only gives a detailed description of what sexual harassment is, so how you're supposed to assess the rest of that stuff is immediately unclear. The definition ends with "Harassment is behavior which focuses unwelcome attention on a person, inappropriately crosses objectively reasonable expectations of social boundaries, and continues after a request to desist", and to be honest they could have quite happily stopped at that (save for that pesky "objectively" there), but as it is the definitions paragraph is confusing: it starts with one definition of a specific type of harassment, continues to say that you can apply it to all different types, and then closes with a different but overlapping definition of harassment in general. If they wanted this policy to generate objectivity and clarity that's the wrong way to go about it.

They seem particularly keen on making this an industry standard, which would seem to rule out people choosing to be more stringent or giving more weight to the victim's account than the policy mandates here. That's concerning.

There's a free speech clause: "Tabletop gaming is an inherently creative industry and this policy shall be implemented in a manner that recognizes the importance of the freedom of speech and expression: no provision of this policy shall be interpreted to prohibit conduct that is legitimately related to fiction, teaching methods, or public commentary of an individual member or the educational, political, artistic, or literary expression of members in games, fiction, and public venues." By my reading this means that if Zakula decides to throw in a degrading parody of a trans designer he's clashed rhetorical swords with into a product, that's absolutely fine because it's part of the fiction.

Non-retaliation section is fair enough.

What puts it beyond the pale is the requirement for accusers to, directly or via an intermediary, privately raise their concerns with their harasser before they make a report. "If such behavior does not immediately cease, or if direct communication is insufficient, the behavior may be reported. Such a report should include the substance of the complaint, date(s), a list of witnesses, and/or reference URLs, where appropriate."

What happens after reporting is that an investigative board is put together, which shouldn't include any friends or family members of the accuser or accused. (So they're treating this like a quasi-judicial procedure, which is not the point of a harassment policy. Companies, conventions, LARP events, tabletop meetups and gaming clubs do not have to hold themselves to a judicial standard!) Incidentally, given how interconnected the industry is, good luck making a viable board at all.

The investigative board then is supposed to spend 60 days investigating and come up with a report within 90 days.

Note that "Hearsay should not be considered. Hearsay is evidence of a statement that was made other than by a witness while attesting during a hearing, and that is offered to prove the truth of the matter stated. Hearsay evidence is inadmissible by law in both civil and criminal trials." Green Ronin got fleeced by the legal experts they supposedly paid to review this because depending on the venue hearsay evidence can absolutely be admissible; here's the UK's Crown Prosecution Service guidelines on it, which I found with literally five seconds of Googling.

Finally, look at this laughable statement on standards of proof: "A finding of harassment or false reporting can have consequences for the accuser and/or accused, and so a finding of harassment or false reporting should be based on a clear and convincing standard of evidence. In a typical civil dispute, the burden of proof is a preponderance of evidence (50.1% or more). In a criminal case, the burden of proof is beyond a reasonable doubt. Clear and convincing evidence is more than a preponderance of evidence and less than beyond a reasonable doubt."

So, rather than choosing one or the other standard of proof - each of which, whilst poorly understood by the general public, is at least something people can research and gain an understanding of - they vaguely wave at the hazy borderland between the two without making any positive statement about where the standard of proof lies within that zone. That is loving terrible and will lead to loving terrible decisions if implemented.

And what happens if they find someone is guilty of harassment? Well, then the company, convention, or organisation who received the complaint just sort of decides by themselves what happens. "Remedial measures should be designed to stop the harassment, correct its effects, and ensure that the harassment does not recur. These remedial measures need not be those that the complainant requests or prefers, as long as they are effective." So the classic "we'll move them to a different department, which may constitute a promotion, and take you off their projects which may constitute a de facto demotion for you" move is absolutely in play here.

As far as the listed examples of sanctions go, "getting your rear end fired from the company" isn't on the list.

On confidentiality, they say "Every reasonable effort should be made to conduct all investigations into allegations of harassment, intimidation, or discrimination in a manner that will protect the confidentiality of all parties. Notwithstanding the above, confidentiality is not absolute, and those with a legitimate business reason to know and to be informed of the allegations will be so informed. Parties to the complaint should treat the matter under investigation with discretion and respect for the reputation of all parties involved." In other words, the accuser and accused alike are expected to remain quiet, but if someone with a legitimate business interest asks they might be told about what's going on. Ick.

Lastly, on "false accusations": "It is a violation of this policy for a member to knowingly, recklessly, and/or negligently disregard the truth when making a claim of harassment, intimidation, or discrimination. Failure to prove a claim of unlawful harassment is not, by itself, equivalent to a false claim. Neither should a thorough investigation to be sure a claim is not being made for other reasons (e.g. political disagreement, competitors, racial bias, gender bias) be taken as assumption of the claim being false."

The bolded bit a) makes me convinced that they wrote this entire policy whilst thinking about the accusations of antisemitism that Holden levelled at Suleiman and b) sounds like a near-guarantee that accusers should expect a "thorough investigation" (which may well resemble intrusive pestering) to see if they're really legit. Nice.

I hope that the other people at GAMA recognise this for the dangerously shoddy policy that it is, and I hope Green Ronin sober up fast and stop pissing what's left of their goodwill down their leg.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Kurieg posted:

This is before a third party is even involved. They're basically saying "if you're offended by someone's behavior you need to go through a jury of your peers to decide if it's actually offensive first."
By an objective standard of offensiveness and harassment which they utterly fail to define!

The Green Ronin bubble have absolutely lost their minds.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Meanwhile on RPG.net armchair pedants are nitpicking and deflecting and talking like this is a good faith attempt that's worth seriously discussing and debating to see if it can be refined into something useful.

gently caress that noise. You do not watch what's been going down in this community as long as Green Ronin have, and make the progressive noises that Green Ronin have for as long as they've been making them, and then turn around and turf out a squalid poo poo of a policy like that and then get to claim ignorance.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

some loving LIAR posted:

"Clear and convincing evidence", a/k/a the "middle burden," is a real thing.
Ah, thanks - I hadn't encountered it because it more or less never comes up in my area of law (and indeed the areas it's used in seem to be specialised enough to question why it's the right choice in this situation to begin with, even if you accepted the idea that a quasi-judicial process for all accusations was needed in the first place).

quote:

All of the various standards of proof, from "reasonable suspicion based on specific articulable facts" (the standard used in the US to decide whether police officers are entitled to pull over someone for drunk driving who hasn't actually violated a traffic law) to "beyond a reasonable doubt" are all hazy borderlands with lovely vague definitions. For example, whoever told them that "preponderance of the evidence" actually means "50.1%" is an idiot. "Preponderance…" means "the greater weight of the credible evidence," which is to say, someone has proven something to the preponderance of the evidence to you if, after you hear all of the evidence that was presented to you, you can say, "well, reasonable people can disagree about this, but based on what I heard, personally I think it's most likely that X, even if it's not by a particularly wide margin." The percentage standards that lawyers bandy about among themselves are not for public consumption as they're shorthand or jargon at best, and conceal the actual work of judging credibility and sorting out inferences that a jury or other factfinder is asked to do.
Oh, no, I completely agree. There's all sorts of things in law which are basically figleaves for issues which by their nature are incredibly hard to nail down.

That said, if you pick a specific, known standard of proof people can at least look at the literature on it. These things are studied, discussed, explained in far greater detail than the space in the policy provides. You can educate yourself to understand them.

The problem with the way this section was phrased is that it doesn't look like "Clear and convincing evidence" is a real thing - it scans like it's a new thing they've made up which exists between the other two standards. And if it reads that way to someone with an admittedly quite specialised and niche understanding of law, it sure as poo poo is going to read that way to laypeople - which means they don't even know it's a subject they can go research.

quote:

Where they hosed up is that they should have been able to articulate a more principled reason why they selected the middle burden. One reason for imposing the middle burden on a party is that the party seeks quasi-penal consequences from the other party. For example, when someone is trying to have a person civilly committed for mental illness, the middle burden is often imposed. Everything has "consequences," and the policy should have been able to articulate why the particular consequences (here, getting frowned at by gamers for a while maybe?) are bad enough to justify imposing the middle burden.
They seem positively obsessed with the consequences on the accused - as though, again, they've decided that actually Suleiman did nothing wrong beyond having those passionate, erotic eyes of his, and a policy is needed to protect people from the activities of nasty troublemakers with their #metoo hashtags and their wicked stories.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Eh, I was genuinely asking for it. Amusing how far Tango Samurai had to go before the moderators even looked sideways at them, mind.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

They did say they'd ceased working with him.

On the other hand, who fancies taking them at their word these days?

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Bedlamdan posted:

What basically owns about this post is that even though Green Ronin may have gotten rid of the rape-man, they can still be treated as if the rape-man is still present and/or actively being endorsed because we can’t trust anything they may say after loving up the first time. Unfucking themselves is unattainable, any attempt is always going to be in bad faith.

In retrospect the last paragraph comes off as kind of bitchy sounding, but I want to add that I actually do this sort of thing all the time, and I love it.

The rich thing is, based on my reading of the STOP policy had they applied it to CAS they might not have had to get rid of him.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Meanwhile RPG.net shuts down discussion on the topic, because the most prominent RPG-specific forum on the internet isn't actually fit for purpose for discussing significant news stories in the field.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Rand Brittain posted:

And I don’t think that’s unintentional.

It seems fairly obvious from their handling of the situation that they don’t think they should have had to fire him.
They're being weirdly spineless on this point.

If they thought CAS was behaving unacceptably, they'd have crafted a policy which would have caught that behaviour. They haven't.

If they think CAS was behaving acceptably, then why don't they just continue working with him? The obvious answer is "massive public disapproval", but they're incredibly naive if they think that this policy would be welcomed with open arms, and since they're giving every impression of not really believing that what CAS did was harassment they just look like they lack the courage of their convictions.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Rand Brittain posted:

If I had to guess I'd say they talked to a lawyer, who told them CAS was radioactive and they needed to drop him like a rock, but they don't like it a bit.

Meanwhile, I know it's my job to explain why RPGnet is right and you are wrong, but I really have no idea what they're thinking with this one.
The mod taking action was Levi, who has always struck me as being so conflict-averse that if he could persuade everyone to sign a "no disagreements ever" waiver as the price of entry he'd do it.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

PST posted:

While, absolutely, GR hosed ho how they handled CAS and their new suggested policy, let's not forget that Holden is an enabling fuckwit who deliberately covered and covers for his abusive friend and tries to attack anyone who's called him out for it to the best of his not very good ability. Also, was a poo poo developer for Ex3.
Wasn't Holden also responsible for the whole "CAS supports terrorism" angle, which GR had used as a figleaf?

There was a narrow window when GR's actions made sense, and that was the brief span of time when it seemed like they'd mistaken the new round of accusations for a continuation of the unfounded antisemitism/pro-terrorism slurs. (They've since gone on to behave in such a way to lose that thin slice of goodwill - if the timeline made that much sense and exonerated them to that extent, they'd have published it already.)

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Speaking of abusers, guess who is being held up as Marcon's guest of honour in a couple of months:

http://marcon.org/guests/mathew-mcfarland-michelle-lyons-mcfarland-special-guests/

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Warthur posted:

Speaking of abusers, guess who is being held up as Marcon's guest of honour in a couple of months:

http://marcon.org/guests/mathew-mcfarland-michelle-lyons-mcfarland-special-guests/

Wait,false alarm, that's from when they were guests in 2016.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Worth clicking through there to read the entire thread. Jessica Price had some useful input too:

https://twitter.com/delafina777/status/978124284848517120

Warthur
May 2, 2004

They got as big as they got feasting on those tough, stodgy grognard cookies, but they also love the rainbow sprinkles and sense of virtue they get out of the progressiveness cookies.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Atari had a similar culture and that's mostly what most the dialogue about Nolan Bushnell has been about. Yeah, they were partying all the time but it was super exploitative for him to seduce employees or make them do things like get into hot tubs with the male executives while they're having a "meeting."
The big problem with the ideal of the fuckparty office is that it does things backward - makes you an employee first, setting up a power imbalance, then tries to glomp you into the polyamorous network.

It'd work better if it went the other way - just bang cool people who are down with being part of a bang network, and then offer them jobs if they happen to have the right skills. Then people know what they are getting into and are in a better position to say no if they decide that they want to keep working and banging separate, and you don't have the awkward moment at the end of the job interview where after the candidate accepts the job the interviewers stand up from behind the big desk and it turns out none of them were wearing pants and for some reason the interviewee runs away at that point.

EDIT TO ADD: Come to think of it, it probably *does* start out that way - just a group of pals who bang and also make a company together. The mistake they make is that they then assume that people they employ will be down for the same arrangement they're currently down with, and they don't adapt to a more professional basis of working once they expand beyond the friendship group.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

She jumped ship to Wizards shortly after Vampire: the Masquerade shipped, so make of that what you will.
Now I begin to wonder whether the original Vampire was, like Star Wars, one of those projects which was saved in the edit...

Warthur fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 28, 2018

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

This would only work if 100% of your employees got into the company that way, and they never changed their minds. And it'd still be a legal quagmire, because eventually every company finds itself needing to fire someone, and that someone now has all the ammunition they could want for a big expensive lawsuit.

It honestly depends on the structure. Like, if everyone who comes in buys in as an equal partner and so on, as Jeffrey points out.

At that stage though it starts to resemble not going corporate at all, and simply being a polyamorous commune that happens to produce books to make ends meet. That puts a huge crimp on your potential expansion. On the other hand, maybe indefinite expansion is a poison chalice and aiming to simply make enough to keep you and yours healthy and happy and supplied with necessities and luxuries is actually enough. TG probably isn't an industry where you can do that, though.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Kurieg posted:

1e World of Darkness books are really... not great.

I really like 1e Chicago By Night, but I suspect part of that comes from it being the playtest campaign and so having a dose of extra richness and road testing arising from actual play.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Kurieg posted:

The werewolf books were not anywhere near as polished. The tribes backstabbed each other at every opportunity and their clan stereotypes were flanderized up to 11.
Also 1e was when bridges was at the helm so the neoprimitivism and saintly exotic natives thing was in full swing.
Fair point. I can't really approach Werewolf as anything other than a total cartoon of itself, and part of that probably comes from having encountered the 1E version first.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The original Vampire was one of those projects that was saved by a second edition. Not to say it wasn't a hit - it was - but it was the second edition that everybody remembers.
I've got 1E in hardcopy and 2E in PDF and I don't remember them being all that different, save that 2E has a nicer layout job and edit, doesn't have the ongoing story told in the art, and otherwise more or less has the same information, just presented in a slightly different order. So I guess you could count that as being saved in the edit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Kurieg posted:

I don't think ARB is talking about the core book on it's own, as much as the Metaplot and supplementary books. The WOD Cores are rather densely packed with crunch and don't leave much room for the writers to wax poetic about how the Get of Fenris are actually for real double plus nazis.
The 1E A World of Darkness supplement had John Dee as a Tremere mastermind, Crowley as a Malkavian deliberately tricked into thinking he was a Tremere to embarrass them, the Brujah as the secret masters of the Mafia, the original Hunedora Castle background, supernatural kitties, and Oscar Wilde running the world's best vampire nightclub in a buried ship in San Francisco. If that's wrong I don't want to be right.

EDIT: Also, I believe 1E had the original and best version of the Mummy supplement, where it was fresh and distinctive and mummies were genuinely rare and the concept wasn't horribly diluted by trying to crowbar all sorts of other stuff into it.

Warthur fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 28, 2018