Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jimbozig posted:

What the gently caress. Alt-right shitheads making false accusations of sexual misconduct at loving gamers over disputes about games? gently caress. That kind of poo poo is terrifying. Like, some rear end in a top hat could get mad that Strike! is inclusive and pull a stunt that threatens my actual career. It's insane. What is wrong with people?!

Fortunately for us no one plays Strike, so we're in the clear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

That Old Tree posted:

Everyone watch that pitch video. That's some serious overproduced gobbledygook.

~~meta~~*~~skills,~~

https://twitter.com/duvalmagic/status/486550022910005248?lang=en

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I've never played pathfinder because it looks like a slog to me but "it takes a move action to open a door!!!" is exactly the sort of flippant non-criticism that everyone here complained about re: 4e. No RPG system lives and dies by how quickly a character can open a door relative to how quickly they can attack.

yeah.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Sampatrick posted:

I haven't yet seen a D&D variant or descendant that successfully balanced high level fighters against high level wizards except for 4e. Complaining that Pathfinder won't solve this problem seems somewhat strange.

why?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ferrinus posted:

The problem is, fans of those games actually and specifically like that the fighter is bad.

Well, there's also plenty of straight up ignorance on balance - We've all heard the "monk is banned" thing. Lots of people have never even seen a decently-played caster (not optimized, just decent), either as a courtesy from the table or because they don't know what that looks like. My roommate was shocked when I suggested Rogues weren't as good as Wizards in 5e, saying she's always done well as a Rogue. And I don't think she's lying or anything, but like, she's still wrong.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Marks represent certain class's unique combat training that allows them to exploit openings with speed and precision that other characters do not have, and in doing so force the enemy to not give those openings unless they want to get slammed with a hammer to the back of the dome. They aren't like an MMO taunt or whatever.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Xae posted:

Thanks, I'll have to check it out. A couple of friends have been wanting to restart out Table Top group and this may avoid some of the issues with "No, you GM this time!" and scheduling conflicts.

Gloomhaven definitely fills that niche, and has some of the best tactical combat to boot. It definitely isn't a roleplaying game though, barring road/city events (which are 90% "do you want to feed the starving puppy or kick it?" choices).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Which is why people probably get upset when you suggest upturning that apple cart. Just like the fighting game fans who lost their poo poo when I suggest that, say, a sequel to a popular fighting franchise might want to try discarding demanding mechanics like stances or 360 degree inputs. The community becomes so invested in things like buffering 360 degree inputs that they don't care that the 360 degree input was only put in because it mirrored the original move appearance-wise, and not because it was a particularly deliberate attempt to devise a functional mechanic for the ages.

:whitewater:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I don't know, I just find them discouraging and unenjoyable. I can do them, sure. I can also put Dodge on my character sheet to take the Prestige Class I want. That might even be a deliberate part of the balance of that Prestige Class. But it's unpleasant and it'd be pretty hard to convince me there isn't a better way.

This is like saying rocket jumping in FPS games should just be a button you press.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

In a competitive game proving you're better at the game than the other guy is the whole point, plus you can learn to git gud at rocket jumping at almost any point you choose. This breaks down somewhat when you're playing a game that's co-op vs. environment, and you're committing to your choices for months at a time.

Well yes, I was responding specifically to the execution requirement in fighting games. And this is coming from someone who isn't good at them - it's cool to me that there are things people have to practice at and execute reliably under pressure, just like someone would appreciate the same in any other dexterity-requiring activity.

Obviously this is very different from system mastery in a purely turn-based cooperative experience like ttrpgs.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I don't know what the term "swords and sorcery" exactly embodies, but "guardians of the galaxy: but with swords and sorcery" is basically how almost everyone I've ever played D&D with has handled their game as well as the 4e comic that gets posted sometimes, and that's what I'd expect a D&D movie to be.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

slap me and kiss me posted:

Every rpg should be a deck of cards.

Isaac Childres is a genius.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Weirdo.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
even DBZ was only "wizard battles" in the sense that they shot energy lasers, everyone still basically had the exact same toolset but with different names for their otherwise basically identical energy attacks, it was much more a battle of technique and strength rather than using your unique power to win fights (with notable exception of Majin Buu)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
kaioken literally just made you stronger, and the spirit bomb never worked. it isn't remotely comparable to poo poo like HxH or One Piece

e: indeed there's a pretty palpable sense that magic/tricks are "cheating" in DBZ and people who rely on these powers are clowned on harder than basically anyone else

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
buddy if you don't like anime you came to the wrong subforum.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
He did answer the person's question at least, presumably honestly

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
why would charterstone be up for a nomination out of all board games from 2017? it's bad and has received basically zero critical praise. indeed people say the first two games are basically 2-hour long tutorials and the game takes at least 7+ sessions (out of 12) to even start teasing anything mechanically interesting

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm looking at a bunch of Facebook buy/trade groups for board games and minis and I see so many "kickstarter edition" resale posts and I don't see a ton of these games, especially the miniatures games that get these massive campaign totals, actually being played. I wonder if people just totally get on the hype train for the kickstarter but when the product arrives, they're more or less dead in the water as the new hotness has started getting attention.

People buy them for the minis. Like they aren't upset that there's a game attached to it, but board games are nice objects and a lot of people buy those games exclusively to use minis in RPG campaigns or just to own for their own sake.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I feel like "5e is a bad system for competition" and "let's also do pathfinder" does not follow.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
yeah if there's anything alt-right people don't do it's brand themselves as put-upon outcasts who are shunned by society

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
we need lootboxes, to save tabletop gaming.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

thespaceinvader posted:

I'd love it if one of the big live streams would showcase a system that isn't D20, that would genuinely help.

it's particularly funny because the draw of most of those groups isn't seeing tactical combat or crunchy mechanical decisions, it's seeing nerd celebs laughing together and doing funny voices. D20 is like the worst system for their goal, except for the part where it's the only thing their target audience cares about.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

thetoughestbean posted:

Video games. In Final Fantasy you’ll have characters who can hit things and characters who have to choose the best spell for the situation, but that’s mitigated by a. Being single player so the player is still engaging with both levels of complexity and b. Having mp be a more relevant mechanic than spell slots because dungeons aren’t afraid of putting you through enough combats to meaningfully drain your resources (largely because they go much faster)

Also spells are almost always purely means of just ending fights. The fighter/wizard issue would be a lot less pronounced if it was simply Basic Attack Fighter vs. Fireball Wizard which is much closer to a lot of JRPG situations. No final fantasy game is letting you use Blind to sneak past the dungeon mini-boss or to impress the queen with the wide array of blue magic spells you've learned.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If they care about balance they shouldn't be making a game on 3.5's skeleton at all

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Warthur posted:

For anyone who wants further ammo to fling at someone whining that D&D racial ability modifiers are inherent to the game - they aren't, not in every single official edition. B/X, which grognards revere, doesn't have them. Nor does OD&D or BECMI.

Admittedly, this is because those editions do race-as-class, which has its own problems (and they also have level limits). But if race-as-class isn't essential to D&D (abandoned in 1E-5E), and racial level limits aren't essential (removed in 3E-5E), and racial ability score adjustments aren't (not present until AD&D 1E), then...

sure, but only 3.5e is Canon to the modern D&D devotee.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

BinaryDoubts posted:

I hope the Rude Tales of Magic folks switch systems, especially since they're such funny improvisers that they already barely touch the 5e mechanics.

Maybe I'm just cynical, but in my experience people who barely actually touch the rules in D&D are less likely to move to indie systems, not more.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
They definitely should stop playing Dungeons and Dragons: Fifth Edition.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

BinaryDoubts posted:

In the fandom's defence, Griffin was Not Good at running PBTA. I mean, he's a great storyteller but not a great GM, although if you're hosting a podcast it's probably better to be good at the former than the latter.

Fortunately, there are many non-pbta indie systems.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Not sure I really relate to this categorization. I can tell you I've had sessions that included tactical operations (hardcore? I don't know what that means in this context)

They mean good grid-based combat rules

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Something people here might find interesting on the topic of getting people to play other systems, the Root: Tabletop Roleplaying Game kickstarter last year (I think) earned over $600,000 from 6,500 backers. The kicker here is that it's a PbtA-style game, and I'm sure a very large portion of the people who backed it did so off their love of the board game and setting/aesthetic moreso than any familiarity with PbtA. Now I'm not naive enough to think all 6,500 those people will play it, let alone introduce another 3-5 friends to it, but that's still going to be a bunch of people who have probably never looked through a non-D&D-like system!

I'm not really sure what the takeaway here is, I guess "if you want people to play a thing, attach it to a licence they already like". Exciting.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Trojan Kaiju posted:

I think while that's how it gets articulated, the actual reasoning behind it is that optimizing, for a lot of people, doesn't sound fun. It sounds like putting too much effort and thinking too much about playing elfgames with buds. It's mostly just building a template that afterwards you add on through the things that actually make a character, their motivations, flaws, etc. The template of numbers affect how easily you can do all the poo poo you add on afterwards when you want to. If it's built well, it only helps.

Plus people are really bad at optimizing, myself often included, and understandably would get annoyed with people telling them the thing they think is cool or strong actually is not - for instance see the 3.5e Monk, who somehow convinced people in play groups the world over that it was broken when it was anything but. And after a long enough time this just becomes an identity thing.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
John Redcorn said he was helping Nancy make her character for the game... which is odd, since John Redcorn doesn't even own any dice.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

John Romero posted:

remember all the licensed tcgs from the late 90s

it was really cool seeing how games could have developed before the "put creatures on the field, have them attack each other/the player" design meta settled. the DBZ CCG was legit one of my favorite games and the Panini reboot in like 2015 was really good too. unfortunately the game got killed because Bandai-Namco wanted to release their Very Not Good dragonball super ccg in the West.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
every time I go to GenCon I scour vendors trying to find playable sets of the Monster Rancher card game but never find anything

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

thetoughestbean posted:

I know chat has moves away from card games but the Digimon Card Game is revealing some cards in English and its official term for tap and untap is suspend and unsuspend.

Edit: there is an untap phase and its called the Unsuspend Phase (it’s followed by the Breeding Phase)

I just looked up the rules and the resource system is super interesting. Too bad the app isn't in English despite it being advertised on their English site apparently

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I really think it's the brand thing more than any big design issues, plus marketing. Lots of popular games have lovely designs, at least for the first few sets, and do just fine initially because people want to collect their favorite franchise's game and might as well build a deck while they do it. Plus I do think there's more unrecognized good design talent out there than people give amateur designers credit for - I have friends who worked on successful TCGs (which all had very small design teams in the first place so it's not like they were good in spite of said friends), and a few of them have gone on to basically do what was suggested with making a new game. Even when mechanically similar to the successful game with solid changes it just doesn't work because how does anyone learn about your game or find a scene for it? Why play Royalty-Free Anime Dueling Game when you can just buy the one with characters you already like?

It's not like an indie video game which can hail mary itself onto Steam and possibly hit it big just thanks to the sheer volume of eyes that might stumble across a streamer playing it or something, you really don't learn about new board games, ttrpgs, or card games unless you're very invested in those communities and actively looking for something to buy.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

thetoughestbean posted:

Current Magic art is just so boring. I don’t know why they insist on a pseudo photorealistic style, it makes so much of the art really unmemorable

it's almost certainly like a Brand Identity thing. artists have talked in the past that WotC gives a lot of notes about what artists need to do or change for their submissions, so at some point it's probably easier to just say "make it look realistic" because people generally agree on what that means. it'd be much cooler if you got stuff like with the Pokemon TCG where there's a huge mix of styles and even formats including photography

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
To be fair, the one common bit of advice I do hear from actual career podcasters is "get a setup that doesn't sound like three dudes on a skype call with their onboard laptop mics", I could see people over-investing in audio stuff just because like, I sure as h*ck won't listen to bad audio podcasts anymore. Life is too short and there's too many nerd 'casts to spend time with ones that aren't crystal clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I brought this up in the chat thread a while back but I'm always shocked to learn that most people mentally default to "yes obviously we killed those bandits, what else would we have done?" Decades of shounen as my basis for fight scenes have taught me that even the most brutal fights end in scrapes, spitting blood, and changed morals, not dead bodies.