Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

ah yes, the classic "gently caress you, got mine" ethos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'd love to see a breakdown of how many projects get funded vs. not. We mostly hear about the high profile stuff.

https://www.dicebreaker.com/categories/board-game/news/kickstarter-tabletop-games-2019-funding

Some stats here for ya

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Lumbermouth posted:

There are a bunch of replies on that talking about how the author is a POC and a Marxist, which honestly makes me think even less of them for deciding to get in bed with Raggi.

Yeah, I don't see how that is supposed to make this better

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The very nature of RPGs invites questions and ambiguities in a way that other games never will. Even perfectly written books from a technical perspective aren't going to fix that and don't help in the way that it would say a board game or tabletop minis combat game. Even RPG books have to be inclusive in what players can do, not exclusive, but RPG players will want to do any and everything which can't possibly be covered by any amount of writing or clarity.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

They (RPGs as a whole) don’t have to be balanced though, by the very nature of having a DM and the nature of coop play most of them involve. It makes things easier for the DM if the game has decent balance, but in most games having say a weak party or a single player that’s min-maxing and the rest of the party building for RP or fun concepts is not much of an issue.

The more tactical the game leans, the more time should be spent on not only balancing but making things not feel samey. That was my main problem with 4E; as someone else said a lot of it felt formulaic.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, but design is inclusive of a lot of things, not just mechanical balance. I think for many players the math is not as important as style and choice, and luckily it’s easier to fudge numbers than to create the latter for your table. I don’t know of any mainstream system that doesn’t have balance issues, and that’s not surprising.

I fully understand the desire to have a functioning game that doesn’t require extra legwork, but my point is that it’s not as big a deal as it would be in a board game, competitive tabletop games, etc where that is the whole game. RPGs are about a lot more than just numbers and mechanics. RPGs can and do work despite critical balance flaws, where other games don’t or can’t.

I would prefer designers acknowledge this and give guidance to balancing things because it’s almost impossible to design a system that will get the players to a similar power level while still letting them have meaningful choice in character creation that includes and excludes combat effectiveness.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 11, 2021

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

My car doesn’t have to have airbags but gently caress if I’m gonna buy one without.

What if every airbag in the world was defective and needed to be recalled and wasn't? Probably better off just installing extra seat belts lol

King of Solomon posted:

The thing to keep in mind is that balance doesn't only matter in combat scenarios. One of the main balance issues in D&D 5e, for example, is that casters frequently have narrative options that martials don't. That's a major balance issue, and it has nothing to do with what happens when you pull out the grid and miniatures to start swinging imaginary swords.

Yeah, no argument there. Magic systems are often extremely lazily implemented into the worlds of games and broken on every level.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

We had a similar experience with 4E. We'd spend all afternoon and into the night on Sundays playing and get through maybe 3 combat encounters with a party of 4-5. At the time, I thought it was an issue with our GM/group, but years later I realized the fault was none of ours'.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Kestral posted:

and it's frustrating to see actual news get drowned out.

Such as? The 4e chat did not stop anyone from posting anything else (the Mike Selinker story notably). This conversation stemmed directly from an industry history topic too, so its not like folks just burst in here to talk about it as non-sequitur. Also, most of the talk was pretty negative on it?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I’d say a large amount of Lancer’s success is based on style, not substance. The fact that it’s a good game is a great bonus, but most Kickstarter backers in gaming as a whole are in for art and concept and know very little about the actual games. Anecdotally, I know like 5 people that backed it and never even tried to play. Having a well established name was also a huge part of getting eyes on a first KS project, but it took off far from there thanks to the great pitch.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Pickled Tink posted:

Lurker here.

I haven't filed any reports or notified mods via PM or otherwise to shut down the discussion, but it is irritating for the thread to be filled with off topic posts that bump it to the top of my bookmarks. There is an existing thread for that design talk, you can do it there.

I don’t know why talking about why 4E failed in the market and why spinoffs struggle isn’t on topic.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

bewilderment posted:

The downside here, of course, is that all this is on a discord, instead of any kind of official searchable forum.

Discord search is way better than any forum search I've ever used.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Kestral posted:

"I don't respect your time." I could post chapters of my Let's Read Mouse Guard writeup in response

Again, the 4e chat spun off of industry talk and was largely aimed at why 4e style games are so hard to do/failed in the market and business talk around the 4e era. This is a very disingenuous representation of the discussion.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Puppy Time posted:

I also feel like a lot of the "Uhh, this is about the industry!" posts are kind of rules lawyery.

Seems backwards when they're not the ones telling people to :getout:

The 4e talk directly spawned more thread relevant discussion like how and why Lancer succeeded and more. There's now more posts rules lawyering what this thread should be than there was initially about 4e lol.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Arivia posted:

i wonder how many people complaining about the D&D edition talk are just tired of D&D and wish this thread was a haven from D&D talk (while pretending that D&D isn't the vast majority of the rpg industry this thread is mostly devoted to)

Agree with this too.

Speaking of, are there any industry metrics of how much the ttrpg as a whole pulls in annually (and how much of that is WotC)?

I know board games have a similar but not as extreme dynamic, with all of the hobbyist game industry combined only making up like 50% and Hasbro taking the rest.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That may be true, but mostly stems from breaking previous concepts and habits from D&D players specifically. That guide pdf is mostly about telling you that DW is not D&D and here’s how it works instead.

For newcomers to RPGs as a whole, Dungeon World is a fantastic book for what a GM is and what they should do. The principals and moves are a great guidance for new GMs and give them a built in way to keep the game flowing and engaging. I think Dungeon World really does succeed in being “what people think D&D is” and has plenty of good onboarding to achieve that.

The guide also specifically quotes Something Awful posters by name multiple times :lol:

Also unrelated, Homebrew World is a much better take on the idea and cleans up a lot of DWs issues.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

This looks great, good looking out

No problem. You might want to also look at Unlimited Dungeons, another free DW 2.0 take that’s not as geared towards one shots. The way it does Wizard spell lists is particularly good and really my only complaint of Homebrew World.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 13, 2021

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Eastmabl posted:

Worth noting that The Perilous Wilds is among the better supplements that you could use with any FRPG.

This + Maze Rats is my go to for most anything fantasy now. Looking forward to Stonetop too to see how the town building/defending element is done.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Puppy Time posted:

Sounds like we need more 5000 word callouts to me.

dwarf74 posted:

That's... Kind of my take on it too? I just don't want to dismiss it as minor since I'm a straight white dude in his forties.

Yeah, it's basically we have normalized this kind of behavior to the point that this seems mild compared to the over the top poo poo that's come to light in recently years.

EDIT: Not to say it shouldn't be aired publicly or stopped.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 15, 2021

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Puppy Time posted:

I will always be confused by people whose reactions to a twitter block is anything other than "Oh. Huh," and maybe, "I wonder who I'm following that got me on a blocklist/blockchain and why?" followed by completely forgetting about it and doing whatever they had planned that day.

Even when I was actually on Twitter all day, it didn't matter to me enough to remember after a half hour, much less to make a youtube video about. And I have brain problems!

You think that's bad, we had an up and coming media creator go full scorched earth and court a bunch of chuds to defend her because other board game media folks unfriended her on facebook after she attacked another prominent person of color in the industry.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Puppy Time posted:

I can see hurt feelings (albeit nowhere near that level, yeesh) over a facebook unfriending- that's a preexisting relationship being destroyed, even if it's a minor one. That makes a level of sense.

AFAIK none of them were IRL friends, just online acquaintances. It's like being mad over someone unfollowing on twitter and not even blocking you, so even less meaningful.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

https://twitter.com/BrianMBauman/status/1460507561346539524

Paizo management seems to be doing whatever they can to ignore the union at every step.

but they willingly acknowledged their forming last week bing bong so simple :v:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

moths posted:

I'm not defending Paizo at all here, but if the union's MO begins and ends with passive aggressive tweetings it can expect to remain safely ignored.

That's not the union's twitter account.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

quote:

If you come to a Games Workshop event or store and behave to the contrary, including wearing the symbols of real-world hate groups, you will be asked to leave. We won’t let you participate. We don’t want your money. We don’t want you in the Warhammer community.

This part is pretty pointed and direct and well worded. Surprisingly good statement and I hope there was more done to punish the TOs behind the scenes. Better yet, I'd prefer they actually issue rules for all organized play stating this and not just limit it to official GW stuff.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah that sounds like a complete cop out by the TOs. They could have come up with a million justifications for DQ'ing him based on any basic tournament rules and not have been worried about the supposed free speech threats.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Related to the current chat and previous talk about 4E, I dug up the DMG 1 and 2 from it and it is some of the best guidance for actually being a GM I've seen in any game. I only played 4E and never GMed it so I completely missed the chapters on different player types and how to design sessions for them, the guidance on writing and planning campaigns, and much more. Those first few chapters from both books are universally great for any system.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

What possible benefit could it even have? The blockchain serves no purpose and solves no problem here (or anywhere).

It's just as dumb as Ubisoft adding NFTs for cosmetic items in their games. They literally already have ways to buy cosmetics and they're already tied to your game accounts and crap.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Oh no, not the most boring, stale, and prohibitively expensive formats. MtG evolving into more casual friendly formats in physical and digital isn’t going to make it a better game, but it will make it a better scene.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

PeterWeller posted:

Why don't we ask them their thoughts on the subject.

Link: https://www.warhammer-community.com...esponse,+Nov+19

That message is good but there’s a reason why everyone was also like “well maybe don’t spend decades portraying them all like heroes?” There’s a clear disconnect between their words above and their art direction.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Can you show an in-lore (book, game, whatever) example of 40k actually being satire? Everything I actually see is written completely straight and they try to skate by on it being over the top grim dark as good enough to qualify as said satire, which doesn’t really cut it IMO.

The Orks are the only thing that ever come across as being satirical but it’s notable they also feel out of place tonally.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Dec 16, 2021

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Maybe it’s just written too straight and dry and comes off more as “EXXXTREME HARDCORE BADASS” and less as making fun of that attitude. That would also explain why so many 40k fans completely miss the supposed satire angle. But also the random written pasdages and supplements don’t really stick in peoples minds the same as all of the cover art and minis that are just mega heroic poses and acts.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

dwarf74 posted:

One would hope the executive leadership is making GBS threads their pants about these awful ratios. I have a hunch they're just trucking along anyway, though.

gently caress 'em.

The whole crypto thing has nothing to do with creators or backers, it's purely about courting venture capitalists. They don't give a poo poo about any of the bad publicity around this until it threatens their ability to fundraise (not the KS kind).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

it's probably impossible to continuously maintain a clear and unambiguous thematic direction, even if you wanted to.

Except 40k has done exactly that, just in a way that's counterproductive to their claims of satire and cautionary storytelling. "Everyone is a bad guy and this is all satire" doesn't square well with literally every bit of art direction being grand epic heroic badassery and glory. The only way it could come full circle at this point would to have 40k end and have the bugs just devour them all in the most comical over the top way that makes everything that came before it completely pointless and moot.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

I haven’t been following for a long time, but please tell me I’m reading this right and the franchise about people hoarding weird technology they don’t understand that’s really trash has now also started hoarding weird technology they don’t understand that’s really trash.

I yearn for this irony.

Bingo. It's a level of creator:content cognitive dissonance not seen since loving Orson Scott Card.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

homullus posted:

GW shouldn't have to create a sidebar with Zippy the Emperor's Eunuch telling you "hey kids this is satire"

https://warhammeradventures.com/

what about "hey (literal) kids look how awesome and brave these heroes are"

quote:

Warhammer Adventures is a series of action-packed stories about brave heroes battling monstrous enemies and winning great victories against impossible odds in the far future universe of Warhammer 40,000

They sure are priming these kids for their grand satirical epic!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

homullus posted:

I agree that it contradicts the message of the adult 40K stuff. Do you feel that a different product aimed at a younger audience is obligated to explore the same themes? Do you think that, by telling those kids that the characters are brave heroes, that later the adults who grew up with Warhammer Adventures will be unable to conclude that being slaughtered in an undying* Emperor's endless war in which they have no say is not great?

Well when the line of books is designed to hook kids into the hobby (as said by GW directly) yeah, I do think they should be thematically consistent.

Cessna posted:

If you think the book is "look how awesome and brave these heroes are" you haven't read them.

No, I haven't read the GW kids books lol. But everything I posted is direct copy and paste from the GW website so again it falls back on what they are portraying vs what they are advertising.

I will admit that by your synopsis, the kids books actually portray things as appropriately bad better than the main line stuff but that's also not satire. I don't think GW know what satire is. I also don't think children are going to understand the message of "actually these guys are bad" and not just be devastated when the supposed heroes just get slaughtered. That's not conveying any message that the imperium is actually the bad guys, just that the evil side won, better pull harder for the good guys next time.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Not without basically burning it all to the ground in the way that is most embarrassing to every imperial faction. Like grots eating the emperors living corpse in an over the top comical way being the swansong of 40k. Something that makes anyone that took it all seriously very angry.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That's kinda how the tau started off with the whole greater good thing before everyone cried "wtf this sucks" so they gave it a darker twist, no? That was probably the canary in a coal mine if they ever planned on doing something like that to the imperium of man.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The Bee posted:

I mean, they also named the Dark Angels' fortress after a local gay bar, which considering they're the chapter with a dark secret . . .

Starting to think the satirical elements were more local jokes about the UK rather than high-minded political takedowns.

Isn’t the dark angels whole thing that they feel great shame for said secret too? Yikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Make female space marines and have them finally kill off the emperor. GW could sustain themselves on the tears for decades with some basic hydroelectric generation.