Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Making your own real maple syrup

It's really pretty easy, all you need is maple sap and a way to boil it.

Collecting sap

Drill a hole in the maple tree till it bleeds. Collect tree blood.

The evaporator

You're just boiling water, it's not that hard. You can spend nothing and use the propane turkey fryer in your garage or you can spend 5 figures on something that's boiling off thousands of liters of water per hour.

Finishing syrup

Once you've boiled most of the sap, it's be boiling at 219 instead of 212 (the boiling temperature of water). Filter it and bottle it.

Maple math and interesting tidbits

- Each tap produces about 15 gallons of sap a year and up to a couple of gallons on a good day
- Each square foot of evaporator surface can boil off about a gallon an hour, depth doesn't matter
- Sap/syrup ratio averages around 43:1, 43 gallons of sap for 1 gallon of syrup
- It takes slightly less than a 20lb propane tank of energy to boil off 42 gallons of water
- It gets darker and stronger tasting later into the season. This used to be undesirable
- Maple taffy (tir d'erable) is maple syrup that you boil up to about 235 to thicken it even more. Pour on snow and then wrap it up with a popsicle stick. It's really good.

Previous Threads

These have more words in them about what the stuff is

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3811486
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3767326

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
SAP IS RUNNING!

This season caught me by surprise. I've got 25 bucket taps in so far this year and another 40-60 droptubes to go. I might go more if all this snow melts and the bush is easy walking.

The barrel evaporator has found a better home, I've upgraded to a 2x4 partitioned pan that I'm going to put on a 5 foot oil tank which unfortunately is still just an oil tank. Cutting and bricking that this week.

Looks like it's going to be an amazing season. I got about 4.5 gallons last year, I'm going at least 10 but hopefully 15 this year.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Neat!

Soooooo, are you selling said syrup? And if so where may interested parties buy said stuff...

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

ExplodingSims posted:

Neat!

Soooooo, are you selling said syrup? And if so where may interested parties buy said stuff...

Yeah, this could be the next big SA Mart thing...

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Hey! I am doing this for the first time this year.

I inherited a sugar shack with the house we bought, and have been doing my best to educate myself. I hired a guy to help me run some lines and teach me how to do it, and I've got 35 taps in, and sap is indeed flowing into a 175 gallon reservoir.

One question: the sugar shack we have came with an evaporater pan; it's tin. I know that old-school tin used lead flux and this has fallen out of favor because duh lead is bad for you. How concerned should I be about this? (I'm not actually sure if it's lead weld, since I believe there was a period in the 90s where people we using tin pans with non-lead solder, before that fell out of favor for steel pans).

I'm really just trying to learn the process this year, and didn't want to spend a billion dollars up front (I'm already $400 in on lines, taps, tools, etc). My thought was to just use this pan this year, figuring that I can get the end result tested for lead and just take it as a learning experience if it tests hot. I'm assuming that getting a new evaporator pan is gonna be another several hundred dollars.

Thoughts?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Hey! I am doing this for the first time this year.

I inherited a sugar shack with the house we bought, and have been doing my best to educate myself. I hired a guy to help me run some lines and teach me how to do it, and I've got 35 taps in, and sap is indeed flowing into a 175 gallon reservoir.

One question: the sugar shack we have came with an evaporater pan; it's tin. I know that old-school tin used lead flux and this has fallen out of favor because duh lead is bad for you. How concerned should I be about this? (I'm not actually sure if it's lead weld, since I believe there was a period in the 90s where people we using tin pans with non-lead solder, before that fell out of favor for steel pans).

I'm really just trying to learn the process this year, and didn't want to spend a billion dollars up front (I'm already $400 in on lines, taps, tools, etc). My thought was to just use this pan this year, figuring that I can get the end result tested for lead and just take it as a learning experience if it tests hot. I'm assuming that getting a new evaporator pan is gonna be another several hundred dollars.

Thoughts?

How big a pan is it? Stainless hotel pans aren't exactly expensive.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Stainless evaporator pans are pretty expensive. I wonder if you could boil a bunch of water for a while, sample and test that for lead.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Stainless evaporator pans are pretty expensive. I wonder if you could boil a bunch of water for a while, sample and test that for lead.

this is a good idea; I want to do a test boil anyway with water to make sure I know what the gently caress I'm doing; I will do this.

Liquid Communism posted:

How big a pan is it? Stainless hotel pans aren't exactly expensive.

It's.... a lot bigger than that. The pan was off when I took this picture, but here's the arch it sits on, and it covers this entire surface:

edit: I should also comment that this is a partitioned evaporator; I called a local supply place to ask what an equivalent stainless tray is and they quoted me $1800 XD

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 20, 2018

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Making your own real maple syrup
snip...

Cool thread. Thanks for mentioning how your AV got eaten in the CanPol thread, otherwise I would have missed it.

My wife was really keen to try tapping our Western Big Leaf Maples this year so we've had a half dozen taps going since early December. My impression so far is that Big Leaf sap has a stronger, more complex taste than the Sugar Maple you have back east, and the sap flow is really screwy and unpredictable. There might be a bigger Ontario/Vancouver Island metaphor here somewhere.

So far we've made a little under 2 litres of syrup and learned a bunch of things along the way, including the dangers of sap spoilage and needing to re-tap the trees in January. The biggest problem we have now is filtering. There's only one place that sells fabric filters close by and we didn't want to spend the $$ they wanted on a very small scale test. We ended up using coffee filters and later cheese cloth with mixed results - lots of clogging, ripped filters, and sugar sand in the bottom of the jars.

OTOH, I think there might be a market for sugar sand with the probiotic/gut biome/Kombucha nutters aficionados.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Home hardware sells filters:
http://homehardware.ca/en/rec/index...Ntt=maple+syrup
They also sell a bag to hold the filters
http://homehardware.ca/en/rec/index...Ntt=maple+syrup

Amazon has lead test swabs
https://www.amazon.ca/3M-717834209102DUPE-LeadCheck-Swabs-8-Pack/dp/B008BK15PU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Hexigrammus posted:

Cool thread. Thanks for mentioning how your AV got eaten in the CanPol thread, otherwise I would have missed it.

My wife was really keen to try tapping our Western Big Leaf Maples this year so we've had a half dozen taps going since early December. My impression so far is that Big Leaf sap has a stronger, more complex taste than the Sugar Maple you have back east, and the sap flow is really screwy and unpredictable. There might be a bigger Ontario/Vancouver Island metaphor here somewhere.

So far we've made a little under 2 litres of syrup and learned a bunch of things along the way, including the dangers of sap spoilage and needing to re-tap the trees in January. The biggest problem we have now is filtering. There's only one place that sells fabric filters close by and we didn't want to spend the $$ they wanted on a very small scale test. We ended up using coffee filters and later cheese cloth with mixed results - lots of clogging, ripped filters, and sugar sand in the bottom of the jars.

OTOH, I think there might be a market for sugar sand with the probiotic/gut biome/Kombucha nutters aficionados.

That's awesome, are they similar sugar concentrations? I'm going to have to find some of that Big Leaf stuff, keep hearing that it's pretty decent. Making it a little thinner would filter easier? We intentionally did some a little thicker last year, it was nice syrup but impossible to filter.

I have a new thing to try for filtering this year. Using the V shaped filters like dreadllama linked, you make a little wire frame that holds the middle of the V shaped filter up like a gilligan hat so that the pressure is in a ring instead of a point. Should get way more mileage.

Home hardware is the bomb for sugaring stuff, they had some old stock taps leftover, picked up 50 for $10 this morning so 71 to put in tomorrow. I have a couple of 6" maples I'm going to cut down later this year so I'm going to put 4-5 tubes in them to see what happens.

ExplodingSims posted:

I feel bad selling it, it's $13/L at costco for professional grade stuff that's not made on my driveway. I'd have to sell it for $20/L but if someone wants some in the Ottawa area, we could figure it out if I've got extra. I'll keep it in light/med/dark batches. apatite had a thread in SA mart last year selling to americans.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Well crap. Apparently Home Hardware doesn't offer sugaring supplies in this region. Pity, because they're really good at canning, brewing, and arcane stuff you won't find in the big box stores.

If my source is correct sugar maples back east have 3% sap, western big leaf is 2%. I might try filtering earlier. At this point we're finishing in a small pot taking it to 218. I'm not sure I've got a lot of confidence in our thermometers and I know we've exceded 218 at least once. I've got a refractometer on its way so that might help control things better.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Test boil with water. Once that cools down I'll draw it all off, and it's time to start boiling sap!

Many labs here offer syrup lead testing, so I'm just going to proceed with this pan and figure that we'll have to dump the end result if lead is an issue, and get a better setup next year. Either way I'm learning the process.

I think it's slightly insane that a steel equivalent of that partitioned pan is $1800; must be the tax on specialized gear. I can understand it being some hundreds of dollars because we're talking about a relatively large and heavy stainless steel container, but there's nothing magic here nor much in the way of precision machining.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 21, 2018

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Test boil with water. Once that cools down I'll draw it all off, and it's time to start boiling sap!

Many labs here offer syrup lead testing, so I'm just going to proceed with this pan and figure that we'll have to dump the end result if lead is an issue, and get a better setup next year. Either way I'm learning the process.

I think it's slightly insane that a steel equivalent of that partitioned pan is $1800; must be the tax on specialized gear. I can understand it being some hundreds of dollars because we're talking about a relatively large and heavy stainless steel container, but there's nothing magic here nor much in the way of precision machining.

That looks like a great setup and $1800 does seem steep. 22ga 304 stainless is about $10/sqft and welding is $80/hr, might be worth getting in touch with a local metal shop, they probably have experience doing them if you're in a mapley area. For comparison, my new 2x4 partitioned pan with preheater on top was $525 cdn.

I got 23 more taps in this morning, up to 47.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004
I only discovered a maple thread existed just last year, but unfortunately it was already archived so here's a wall of text of *~my maple story~*: This'll be my third season tapping my backyard trees: 2 silver/water maples and a Norway, the smallest being about 34" in diameter, so they each get 3 taps. I'm kind of surprised I stuck with it after my first year where I was dealing with spoilage and ended up only boiling about 13 gallons in my 14" brew kettle on a propane turkey fryer. It took ~12 hours to end up with a half-pint of finished syrup, most of which got hung up in the filter. It was pretty disappointing, but despite the setbacks I really enjoyed the process and was hooked.

The second season, I wasn't sure if I was going to tap at all due to not having a better boiling solution. During the first warm spell, I said "what the hell" and put 3 taps in one of my trees, fully intending for my wife and I to just drink the fresh sap and give the rest away. That tree went apeshit with sap production and since the weather was warming up unusually early, I tapped the other two trees not wanting to waste a particularly good season. About a week after that, I had nearly 40 gallons of sap saved up and fortunately, nights were still cold and I was able to rotate buckets of sap in and out of a broken chest freezer to freeze overnight.

It was abundantly clear that I couldn't practically boil in the kettle that year, so I spent hours that week researching concrete block arch designs I could whip up that weekend. With space and flat ground at a high premium in our back yard, I decided to go whole hog; called up Erlsten Brothers in Mt. Gilead, OH; and had them hook me up with a Leader half-pint evaporator kit (bricks, mortar, and all). I took the next day off work (a Friday) to borrow my brother's half-ton Mazda B-series pickup, drove the 78 miles there, then back to pick up the components and bullshit a little with the good guys there, pick up a face cord of wood, stack it at home, and drop the truck off.

That weekend I assembled the arch, moved it to its final resting place on my patio, and between weather and inexperience with any kind of masonry, only got the bottom bricked up. I was running out of space to store sap and needed to get the arch up and running the following weekend, which began hell week. I wish I'd have taken picture of this process because all this week, days were below freezing and evenings were in the teens or single digits, which would make mortaring difficult under normal circumstances; so I brought abnormal circumstances to the mortar! Monday as soon as I got home from work, I rigged a little tent over the arch using a tarp, threw a light and a tiny space heater under there, and set to completing one side before calling it quits. Each night, I spent at least 3 hours smearing mortar and setting bricks with frozen fingers. The space heater didn't keep me warm under the tarp, but it did keep the bricks and mortar and the side of the arch I was working on warm enough so the mortar adhered well. Each night when I would complete one side of the arch, I'd pre-arrange tomorrow's bricks, slide them under the arch, and pin the corners of my tent to the ground so the space heater could keep it between 70 and 75 in there. That Friday I went for a marathon session and completed bricking both the front and the firewall of the arch, meaning it was finally finished!

Saturday, I fired up the arch for a test boil and the final cure of the mortar then did my first boil Sunday. I was able to sustain around 4 gallons an hour while still learning the ropes on the draft door, how often and how much to feed the fire and with what size wood, etc. so I was immediately impressed. I spent all day feeding the arch and chopping wood and put a nice dent in my sap backlog. From here to the end of the season, I was doing two short boils during the week and one or two long boils on the weekend. Once the taps started to peter out and the season was over, I boiled the last of my sap totaling around 90 gallons. I poured the syrup into my old brew kettle and finished the syrup inside on the stove, which yielded just over a gallon! My ratio of sap:syrup is much worse than others' because of my maples' species, but it's what I have on hand! I accidentally let the syrup boil a couple degrees over target, which actually resulted in a consistency much like the commercial fake poo poo people are used to, but it's okay 'cause it sticks to pancakes better :dance:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

a neighbor saw me boiling and stopped by, among other things he told me he's pretty sure this pan I have is steel and not tin. That would be great! I've got a lead test kit coming...

I had about 20 gallons of sap which filled my pan about 3" deep; I boiled off 2/3s of it and shut it down. If sap keeps flowing as heavily for the next couple days, I might be finishing a couple pints this week. Next year when pot is legal here, I guess I can make infused maple candy.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004
For those that just started or are thinking of starting and concerned with the damage done to the trees, here are three 5/16" (health spile) tap holes of varying ages:

Last season - the hole is healed but a small cavity remains:

Two seasons ago - the cavity is completely filled:

Three seasons ago - the hole is hard to distinguish from the surrounding bark:

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Tim Raines IRL posted:

a neighbor saw me boiling and stopped by, among other things he told me he's pretty sure this pan I have is steel and not tin. That would be great! I've got a lead test kit coming...

I had about 20 gallons of sap which filled my pan about 3" deep; I boiled off 2/3s of it and shut it down. If sap keeps flowing as heavily for the next couple days, I might be finishing a couple pints this week. Next year when pot is legal here, I guess I can make infused maple candy.

Those galvanized pans can have tin solder which can contain lead. Hopefully not!

I am also there, just started today and want to boil Sunday

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

Omafra posted:

Lead contamination in maple syrup is largely associated with processing equipment (for example evaporators and buckets) that contain lead solder, but other sources are also possible. Maple sap and syrup can react with lead-containing surfaces, allowing lead to leach into them. Lead-bearing equipment includes, but is not restricted to:

soldering (e.g. soldered seams) on galvanized equipment manufactured before 1994;
soldering (e.g. soldered seams) on all other equipment manufactured before 1995, including stainless steel evaporators;
bronze and brass fittings; and
terneplate (a lead and tin alloy that was used in the past to coat iron and steel sheets; for example, old milk cans sometimes used for bulk storage of maple syrup are often constructed of terneplate material).

Seams can contain lead.

It can take up to several seconds for the test fluid to indicate lead. The solder holding the valve in place produces red quickly. The seam (below) takes longer.

The valves need to be resoldered. This means melting off the valve, cleaning up the sheet metal where the solder used to be, testing for lead, recleaning if necessary, and soldering the valve back on with new unleaded solder. Also, all the interior seams need to be resoldered as well.

The metal sheet appears to be unleaded. Notice the droplets of test liquid do not produce a positive result.

Omafra posted:

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/food/inspection/maple/ontap/ontap-1217-3.htm
Exposure to lead is known to have adverse effects on human health. Young children are particularly vulnerable to the toxic effects of lead and can suffer profound and permanent adverse health effects, particularly affecting the development of the brain and nervous system. Lead also causes long-term harm in adults, including increased risk of high blood pressure and kidney damage. Exposure of pregnant women to high levels of lead can cause miscarriage, stillbirth, premature birth and low birth weight, as well as minor malformations.

If you are new to maple sugaring, or have access to only a few trees, a cheap way to get started can had for about $100 at home hardware or Canadian Tire

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Hey, a thread! I have maple trees (some a few hundred years old and on their last legs) and friends and neighbors with boilers all set up already, so I will attempt to harvest some precious, sweet sweet tree blood for myself this season.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I'll be up to 50 when I finish putting taps in for the lines I ran this morning.

I should probably be done, but part of me wants to go by 2 more rolls of tubing and do another 50. WHEN DOES IT END

I've located a few local labs that do lead testing; I'm just going to use the equipment I've got and hope for the best; if the end product ends up being unusable, well, then I learned the process and I know what I need to replace for next season.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

That looks like a great setup and $1800 does seem steep. 22ga 304 stainless is about $10/sqft and welding is $80/hr, might be worth getting in touch with a local metal shop, they probably have experience doing them if you're in a mapley area. For comparison, my new 2x4 partitioned pan with preheater on top was $525 cdn.

Who made this for you? Do they ship?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the lead make the syrup taste even sweeter? Can't see much downside there.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Who made this for you? Do they ship?

Patrick Phaneuf https://www.facebook.com/maplesyrupevaporator/

Yep, it was 60 bucks shipping. Cdlinc.ca is the maple megacorp, they have similar pans. Saw some in their Perth store yesterday.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Patrick Phaneuf https://www.facebook.com/maplesyrupevaporator/

Yep, it was 60 bucks shipping. Cdlinc.ca is the maple megacorp, they have similar pans. Saw some in their Perth store yesterday.

Thanks! Much less expensive than what I've seen here, but, things are expensive in VT as a general rule.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Has anyone ever tried making syrup from non-maple trees' sap? When I visited some random sugar shack a while back, the syrup guru was telling me that you could make (and presumably, someone somewhere had successfully made) syrup from, say, fruit trees or whatever else on hand, but it would just be way harder because they produce less sap or have less sugar content or whatever. I'd assume it would be incredibly tedious to drain an orchard of apple trees or something, given the sizes, potential risk to crop, etc., but I'm curious to hear if anyone's attempted this.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

Teketeketeketeke posted:

Has anyone ever tried making syrup from non-maple trees' sap?

I've heard anecdotes about tapping alternative trees like walnut, birch, sycamore, oak, alder, linden, hickory, elm, ironwood, and palm. I haven't tried personally, but I recently learned of a stand of old black walnut trees I might tap next year.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Birch works as well. Sugar Maple is special because its sap is 4% sugar. Most trees, including Red and Silver Maple are only 2% sugar. It's significant because having half the sugar concentration means twice as much boiling, buckets, firewood, and taps for the same amount of syrup as if you'd tapped Hard Maples. It's totally do-able, just not economical.

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

Home made RO system!! Best thing ever and easy to build. Cuts boiling to 1/4 the time (so you burn 1/4 the wood)

Oil barrel evaporator:

Doggo helping the staff:

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

Thrasher posted:

Home made RO system!! Best thing ever and easy to build. Cuts boiling to 1/4 the time (so you burn 1/4 the wood)

Do you mind me asking how much that ran altogether and how long it took you to build? I have people left and right offering me trees, but usually have to turn them down because I can boil only 5 gallons/hour and can only dedicate maybe 20 - 24 hours of boiling per week. I was looking at blowers and some of the other add-on equipment, but probably should've considered this first.

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

Shame Boner posted:

Do you mind me asking how much that ran altogether and how long it took you to build?

I followed instructions from here with some modifications: https://sites.google.com/site/mattatuckmadnessmaplesyrup/home/homemade-reverse-osmosis-system

Probably spent $600 CAD all in.. most parts ordered from amazon, the RO membranes ordered from an aquarium store. I also picked up 3x 45 gal food grade drums from a local shipping yard.

When I calculated the value of wood burned I recouped the costs in one season pretty much.

This was put together in a day really.. it’s all just 1/4” and 3/8” quick fit tubing.

My modifications include some float valves for auto pump shutoff when the sap barrel runs out or the concentrate barrel is full.. also only need one pressure gauge vs 4 in the source plans.

I’ll compile a full list of parts and sources when I get a chance later this weekend.

Thrasher fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Feb 23, 2018

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Monday was our first real thaw; I had 13 taps in at the beginning of the day, and around 30 by midafternoon. Between Monday and Tuesday I collected something like 20 gallons of sap (which I did a first boil on, and is presently sitting frozen in the evaporator).

I've got 50 taps in now, all connected to a 175 gallon reservoir. We're projected to thaw/freeze/thaw/freeze every day for the next week. Ballpark, how much sap should I expect? Am I looking at hours of boiling per day all week? Does production slow down if we hit a point where it's not freezing every night?

It doesn't really matter, because I work from home and can boil while I work, and I've probably got close to full cord of hickory stacked and ready to go; just trying to wrap my head around how much of a time commitment I've locked myself into if I'm going to properly see this through the whole season.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Thrasher posted:

Uh wow

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Monday was our first real thaw; I had 13 taps in at the beginning of the day, and around 30 by midafternoon. Between Monday and Tuesday I collected something like 20 gallons of sap (which I did a first boil on, and is presently sitting frozen in the evaporator).

I've got 50 taps in now, all connected to a 175 gallon reservoir. We're projected to thaw/freeze/thaw/freeze every day for the next week. Ballpark, how much sap should I expect? Am I looking at hours of boiling per day all week? Does production slow down if we hit a point where it's not freezing every night?

It doesn't really matter, because I work from home and can boil while I work, and I've probably got close to full cord of hickory stacked and ready to go; just trying to wrap my head around how much of a time commitment I've locked myself into if I'm going to properly see this through the whole season.

How many gallons per hour does your evaporator do is the main question I guess. The trees can be unpredictable but this week does look good. They say average 1 gallon per tap per day, I've found that true. Generally, you can boil 1 gallon per hour per sqft of flat evaporator area. So if you have a 3x4 flat pan and 50 taps, you're accumulating 4 hours of boiling debt per day. You can also dump sap, it's better to have too much than run out

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

How many gallons per hour does your evaporator do is the main question I guess. The trees can be unpredictable but this week does look good. They say average 1 gallon per tap per day, I've found that true. Generally, you can boil 1 gallon per hour per sqft of flat evaporator area. So if you have a 3x4 flat pan and 50 taps, you're accumulating 4 hours of boiling debt per day. You can also dump sap, it's better to have too much than run out

That sounds about right, based on how long it took me to boil ~20ish gallons (which filled the pan to over 3") down to a bit over an inch. (I'd intended to boil it down to 2", but misgauged how long and hot the firebox would burn, actually ended up having to dismantle the fire with thermal gloves and a shovel which was fun, also added water back at the very end to keep it from getting too low).

That seems fine. I work 8 hours a day. I can work from my shack every other day. If I really get 50gal of sap a day, I should be pulling off a gallon of syrup a day pretty easily, no?

I've also been told that it's pretty easy to resell sap at 50% of the syrup wholesale rate here, with the caveat that if you have less than 500 gallons to sell you've got to cart it to the buyer yourself.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Tim Raines IRL posted:

That sounds about right, based on how long it took me to boil ~20ish gallons (which filled the pan to over 3") down to a bit over an inch. (I'd intended to boil it down to 2", but misgauged how long and hot the firebox would burn, actually ended up having to dismantle the fire with thermal gloves and a shovel which was fun, also added water back at the very end to keep it from getting too low).

That seems fine. I work 8 hours a day. I can work from my shack every other day. If I really get 50gal of sap a day, I should be pulling off a gallon of syrup a day pretty easily, no?

I've also been told that it's pretty easy to resell sap at 50% of the syrup wholesale rate here, with the caveat that if you have less than 500 gallons to sell you've got to cart it to the buyer yourself.

Yeah, 43 gallons of sap to a gallon of syrup if the sap is 2%. Sugar is usually a bit higher early in the season.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah, 43 gallons of sap to a gallon of syrup if the sap is 2%. Sugar is usually a bit higher early in the season.

During the first boil I noted that even though I had coals well distributed equally under the surface of the evaporator, the temperature in the corner where the valve is didn't go over 200 even as the center partitions were boiling pretty hard. I'm quite sure the pan is level, and sap is flowing nicely between the different partitions; should I just trust that this will work, and as the sap at the valve side thickens it will eventually climb over 212 and approach 218?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Tim Raines IRL posted:

During the first boil I noted that even though I had coals well distributed equally under the surface of the evaporator, the temperature in the corner where the valve is didn't go over 200 even as the center partitions were boiling pretty hard. I'm quite sure the pan is level, and sap is flowing nicely between the different partitions; should I just trust that this will work, and as the sap at the valve side thickens it will eventually climb over 212 and approach 218?

This is my first year running a partitioned pan so :shrug: That firebrick under that whole side seems like it would block heat but maybe that's a plus if it's close to done? Maybe you need more heat, I could see someone jamming 4 foot long logs in there. It's a bit of a weird evaporator design, really not sure.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

This is my first year running a partitioned pan so :shrug: That firebrick under that whole side seems like it would block heat but maybe that's a plus if it's close to done? Maybe you need more heat, I could see someone jamming 4 foot long logs in there. It's a bit of a weird evaporator design, really not sure.

Pretty much everything of value that I've learned in my life has been under some combination of pressure and duress, so I guess I will figure it out!

If I gently caress things up spectacularly, or end up with an end product that makes Flint's water look like Fiji, I will definitely let everyone know.

I've got an IR thermometer so I can reasonably read the center of the pan pretty well; if it's pushing 215 while the side by the valve is still 200 I will know I have a problem.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

last post for today, I promise: a swab test confirms there IS lead in the solder on this pan. So, that's a bummer. Even though this is probably being over cautious, I'd be concerned to some degree if the end product lead content was much higher than what the EPA allows in bottled water (which is only 5 ppb).

I might look at rigging up something simpler with stainless for this year and just do things one batch at a time, looking at getting a stainless partitioned tray for next year. Is it reasonable to do 50 taps with hotel trays? My arch is 3x4', so I could arrange a few trays on there with fire bricks on top of grill metal.

or, I might just live with it and roll the dice on what lead testing shows. I mean, I spent a lot of time playing with lead pipes when I was a kid and i thik i am stioll real smort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

Thrasher posted:

Oil barrel evaporator:

Doggo helping the staff:

I followed instructions from here with some modifications: https://sites.google.com/site/mattatuckmadnessmaplesyrup/home/homemade-reverse-osmosis-system

Holy poo poo that's goddamn awesome. I'm not just quoting you so I can find this post later and copy your build.

edit: If you're comfortable with drinking maple syrup that's been through lead, that's on you. I know for a fact that I have drunk water that's passed through copper pipes with lead solder in them. But I personally would not sell leaded syrup to anyone or offer it to children.

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 23, 2018

• Locked thread