Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Brought up in another thread. Who else grew up with this fine author and his multitude of awesome books?

We had the Magic Shop series, with Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher, Jennifer Murdley's Toad, and others.

My personal favorite was the My Teacher Is An Alien series. Some real thought-provoking stuff for a youngster. I remember when they go to Africa and see starving and dying children and they're like "well maybe humanity doesn't deserve to be saved" and little me was like :aaaaa:

Also of note was the Dimension X series. Those were some weird ones, but a lot of fun. "You guys eat animals as dirty as worms?" "You guys eat animals as intelligent as chickens?"

The short story anthologies were also awesome, a lot of future well-known authors writing about all kinds of nutso stuff. The scariest one I remember was The Fat Man, in which an obese dude living in a house full of trash turns out to be a creepy monster with a giant mouth on its stomach, who eats people, spits out their skins, and makes marionette doppelgangers of the people he ate.

Who else enjoyed these wonderful sources of entertainment growing up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I loved his books as a kid and am so genuinely bummed the Book of series is out of print and never digitized. Along with The Fat Man I remember enjoying the story about the evil puppet cursed with the mean teacher.

I also loved the My Teacher series. That one's not out of print, but the new covers are poo poo. Thanks for reminding me that I need to get back to reading through the series with my kiddo!

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

i liked my teacher is an alien and also that rating he made for hot peppers

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Army of Darkness was unquestionably his best work.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Frankenstyle posted:

Army of Darkness was unquestionably his best work.

Uhh I think that was Bruce Springsteen please get it right

Labes for days posted:

I loved his books as a kid and am so genuinely bummed the Book of series is out of print and never digitized. Along with The Fat Man I remember enjoying the story about the evil puppet cursed with the mean teacher.

I also loved the My Teacher series. That one's not out of print, but the new covers are poo poo. Thanks for reminding me that I need to get back to reading through the series with my kiddo!

I just facepalmed and realized the Barnes & Noble by me has a huge used book section and I've never checked for them there.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Labes for days posted:

90s covers own

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

I snuck home Aliens Ate my Homework home from school so I would have time to read it before school ended.

Wooded Zacynthus
Mar 15, 2015

He wrote an absolutely disgusting short story about a bullied elf who graphically murders and then proceeds to eat his classmates in order to become a troll. It disturbed the hell out of me as a kid. Does anyone else remember this?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Wooded Zacynthus posted:

He wrote an absolutely disgusting short story about a bullied elf who graphically murders and then proceeds to eat his classmates in order to become a troll. It disturbed the hell out of me as a kid. Does anyone else remember this?

He also wrote the only vampire story I find interesting, which is set in like... Aztec... culture? Aztec vampires maybe?

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Wooded Zacynthus posted:

Yeah, from googling that was "Timor and the Furnace Troll" and I guess this speaks volumes about me because I laughed at the end.

Pick posted:

90s covers own

:hellyeah:

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
i loved that dudes books as a small dude, i remember when i was like six and had just finished Jeremy Thatcher Dragon Hatcher, i wanted a dragonpal so much, i went and took an egg from the fridge and tried to do as much of the ritual from the book as i could, then i hid it in my room somewhere while i waited for it to "hatch" and promptly forgot about it. couple of weeks later my mom comes in my room for something and goes like "whoah who beefed bro? dude thats ripe as gently caress" and then she discovers this rotten egg behind like a book on my dresser or something, she bugged out until i explained i was tryin to hatch a dragon, then she just laughed at me. my parents decided to get me a dog so id stop fuckin around with eggs, they got me a cool black lab pupp and i named it tiamat just like Jeremy's dragon :cool:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Which one was where the aliens couldn't eat spicy food or they'd be revealed or die horribly or something but they loving loved the taste?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

RE: the Dimension X books - I have yet to meet anyone in real life named Elspeth.

Really I want to re-read them because my memory is so fuzzy but I definitely remember being pretty blown away by all of his books.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

RE: the Dimension X books - I have yet to meet anyone in real life named Elspeth.

Really I want to re-read them because my memory is so fuzzy but I definitely remember being pretty blown away by all of his books.

some hold up better than others but imho they're all p. good, I really really like the alients ate my homework series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I grew up in his hometown and my middle school did a play based on The Dragonslayers so I got to meet him when he came to our rehearsals. He's swell op. :shobon:

e: Though no thank you op for reminding me of the fat man story.

• Locked thread