Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

General China posted:

America hasn’t won a proper war for over 60 years. And then the Russians really won it for them.

The best it has done is Grenada and maybe Panama.

It’s poo poo at fighting wars. It gets beaten by peasants

All the loving time.

It's crushed plenty of conventional armies so fast that you didn't even register it as a war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
America is winning the only war that really matters: the meme war

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe
Mogadishu was a good one.

The yanks got their arse handed to them there.

You still haven’t won in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Even Cuba. That was a massive loving embarrassment for you all.

I doubt, given the amazing history of US feats of arms you could defend your own country.

You ain’t all that fighting wars on your own. Vietnam owned you. Cuba told you to gently caress off and laughed at you.

Iraq and Afghanistan aren’t exactly US friendly. Well done, the US militarily

General China fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 23, 2018

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
*crickets as absolutely nobody takes the bait*

It turns out that when your country is rich and successful and being made great again nobody really cares about their past glories or whatever

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
No joke though I sincerely feel bad for the English working class, who are now turbofucked after multiple waves of deindustrialization has left them with nothing beyond demeaning service jobs pleasuring a handful of rich bankers and corrupt foreigners with money

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

General China posted:

America hasn’t won a proper war for over 60 years. And then the Russians really won it for them.

The best it has done is Grenada and maybe Panama.

It’s poo poo at fighting wars. It gets beaten by peasants

All the loving time.

Taking Baghdad in a week was fuckin sweet. I've got some cool poo poo hanging in my house from those palaces.

General China posted:

Yeah, that's a bunch of political stuff. When it comes to straight up killing folks we got it nailed down tight. :smuggo:

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

*crickets as absolutely nobody takes the bait*

It turns out that when your country is rich and successful and being made great again nobody really cares about their past glories or whatever

It’s why we never feel the need to fly flags or make our school children salute a flag or chant things.

Germany made children patriotic for a while.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
even if a land war was possible in the us, you’d think they’d be bringing armored vehicles and planes

A gun isn’t gonna help you there

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Kabul 1842.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

spacetoaster posted:

Taking Baghdad in a week was fuckin sweet. I've got some cool poo poo hanging in my house from those palaces.

Yeah, that's a bunch of political stuff. When it comes to straight up killing folks we got it nailed down tight. :smuggo:

The Nazis had killing folks nailed down tight too. They loved their flag and their country.

Just saying.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

General China posted:

The Nazis had killing folks nailed down tight too. They loved their flag and their country.

Just saying.

Yeah, germany is a pretty lovely place.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Lollin at people acting like winning hearts and minds is anywhere near the same level of difficulty of protecting the hearts and minds you already have.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

General China posted:

The English managed to invade the continent of North America and establish enough cultural hegonomy to ensure that you can understand the the printed word of the invader.

What language are you speaking, bitch?

One of the funniest stories from the 1812 burning of Washington:

quote:

The day after the destruction of the White House, Rear Admiral Cockburn entered the building of the D.C. newspaper, the National Intelligencer, intending to burn it down. However, several women persuaded him not to because they were afraid the fire would spread to their neighboring houses. Cockburn wanted to destroy the newspaper because its reporters had written so negatively about him, branding him "The Ruffian." Instead, he ordered his troops to tear the building down brick by brick, and ordered all the "C" type destroyed "so that the rascals can have no further means of abusing my name."

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

spacetoaster posted:

Yeah, germany is a pretty lovely place.

I like Germany. It’s a nice place to visit. The people are nice too.

Oh, wait I’m English and go abroad every now and then.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Blazing Ownager posted:

One of the funniest stories from the 1812 burning of Washington:

lol

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

My Linux Rig posted:

even if a land war was possible in the us, you’d think they’d be bringing armored vehicles and planes

A gun isn’t gonna help you there

a .50 BMG to the engine block would do ok

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

It’s still called the White House because the English burned it.

It’s not like 10 Downing Street got that name because America invaded our country and nearly burnt our capital city to the ground.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

General China posted:

It’s still called the White House because the English burned it.

It’s not like 10 Downing Street got that name because America invaded our country and nearly burnt our capital city to the ground.

Actually it is called the White House because it is white

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Irom posted:

a .50 BMG to the engine block would do ok

so like a sniper might be a threat for things like armored cars and tanks?

and what would the range be for that to disable a vehicle? could you seriously have snipers a mile away disabling tanks?

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

My Linux Rig posted:

so like a sniper might be a threat for things like armored cars and tanks?

and what would the range be for that to disable a vehicle? could you seriously have snipers a mile away disabling tanks?

Tanks and stuff aren't like RTS units where they pop in to existence and you can order them around until they're destroyed

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Actually it is called the White House because it is white

It’s because you had to paint it white after we left it a bit black looking.

Tell me about when the Americans burnt London.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Nerses IV posted:

Tanks and stuff aren't like RTS units where they pop in to existence and you can order them around until they're destroyed

Yeah but if you’re talking land war, why wouldn’t you include tanks

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

My Linux Rig posted:

Yeah but if you’re talking land war, why wouldn’t you include tanks

And what about planes

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

General China posted:

I can tell you why the British left the house at 8th and I Street, alone.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
For every soldier in an advanced weapon system there are 4 or more who have to do the logistics.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

And what about planes

Ah the tanks of the sky truly a gun couldn’t scratch these

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

GORDON posted:

I can tell you why the British left the house at 8th and I Street, alone.

Tell me then.

I’m intrigued.

British spies?

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Split Pea Superman posted:

For every soldier in an advanced weapon system there are 4 or more who have to do the logistics.

ah so you use your gun to shoot the guys with the radio gotcha

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

General China posted:

Tell me then.

I’m intrigued.

British spies?

Because they didn't want to piss off the Marines.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

GORDON posted:

Because they didn't want to piss off the Marines.

Proper British Marines?

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
You would definitely want tanks if you were invading the US; but unless the US lets you set-up your tank battalions plus refueling and supply depots in Mexico before your invasion, you definitely will not have tanks.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

General China posted:

well we may not have burned a building but we did steal your entire continent

and kill one beatle

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

I’ll join whatever side pays in bitcoins

Go join a Russian PMC, they might.

Just hope they don't decide to send the whole company on a suicide mission again

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

General China posted:

Mogadishu was a good one.

The yanks got their arse handed to them there.

You still haven’t won in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Even Cuba. That was a massive loving embarrassment for you all.

I doubt, given the amazing history of US feats of arms you could defend your own country.

You ain’t all that fighting wars on your own. Vietnam owned you. Cuba told you to gently caress off and laughed at you.

Aww, is someone's pussy sore because the sun set on the British Empire? :smug:

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe
I can only imagine the Royal Marines had realised where the rum was.

No ever reason.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

General China posted:

Proper British Marines?

Ha!

I'll give that a pass because I trained with a few British Marines, and those guys are hard core.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tricky D posted:

You would definitely want tanks if you were invading the US; but unless the US lets you set-up your tank battalions plus refueling and supply depots in Mexico before your invasion, you definitely will not have tanks.

Tanks are almost a joke now. Infantry carriers one day will be a joke, but are where it's at for the second.

Actual armored tank on tank combat is kind of like dinosaur fighting today, you only see it in ex-soviet countries that don't have better. Air superiority and missile superiority is all you ever need, and literally no traditional ground army can stand up to it.

i.e. if you suddenly took the joke scenario from Red Alert 2 where Russia invades the US through an alliance with Mexico and shows up with EVERY TANK THEY HAVE, I don't even know if the US would bring more than a couple tanks around to deal with them or if they'd get there before being utterly obliterated wholesale by air strikes.

From what I understand the only real place for armor on a modern battlefield is to put boots on the ground to enforce your will on the smoking aftermath. Most tanks in the middle east are basically just fancy anti-infantry support vehicles at this point. Like, the only reason we have them at all is they still can't be beat for facing off against dudes with rifles.

Basically outside of countries 60 years behind our technology level we'll never see true tank on tank combat that's not a lopsided joke ever again in human history.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 23, 2018

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

General China posted:

I like Germany. It’s a nice place to visit. The people are nice too.

Oh, wait I’m English and go abroad every now and then.

In 1918 and 1945, amiright!? lol

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Blazing Ownager posted:

Tanks are almost a joke now. Infantry carriers one day will be a joke, but are where it's at for the second.

Actual armored tank on tank combat is kind of like dinosaur fighting today, you only see it in ex-soviet countries that don't have better. Air superiority and missile superiority is all you ever need, and literally no traditional ground army can stand up to it.

i.e. if you suddenly took the joke scenario from Red Alert 2 where Russia invades the US through an alliance with Mexico and shows up with EVERY TANK THEY HAVE, I don't even know if the US would bring more than a couple tanks around to deal with them or if they'd get there before being utterly obliterated wholesale by air strikes.

From what I understand the only real place for armor on a modern battlefield is to put boots on the ground to enforce your will on the smoking aftermath. Most tanks in the middle east are basically just fancy anti-infantry support vehicles at this point. Like, the only reason we have them at all is they still can't be beat for facing off against dudes with rifles.

Basically outside of countries 60 years behind our technology level we'll never see true tank on tank combat that's not a lopsided joke ever again in human history.

we're probably not far from swarms of boston dynamics dog-bots with mounted machine guns doing all the fighting while we all collect UBI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

My Linux Rig posted:

ah so you use your gun to shoot the guys with the radio gotcha

Well you shoot the guys driving the fuel trucks, just like every modern day insurgent. Do you think it's the tank convoys that get hit by IED ambushes?

• Locked thread