Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
This episode is 0 to 100 and it feels like we are at unsafe speeds here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Have they given Survivors a washboard as a reward before? That stuck out to me as out of the norm

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Someone please make a gif of Jacob wiggling his hips with that hatchet

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
My husband's inattentive running commentary on Jacob:

"oh my gooooooooood it's like he's obsessed with being a virgin or whatever"

"It's like he's donating his organs before killing himself"

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

STAC Goat posted:

James is either laying it on real thick or could use a hug.

poo poo yeah. "I hate myself" is pretty intense thing to say

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Sad that Hitler's Youth's mom has MS

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
That tribal went on for forever when it was not an interesting outcome.

I wanted to see more of Stephanie.

The editing this season is making everyone an interesting character (besides Jenna) and giving them all their own story, which doesn't seem to happen as intensely this early on, normally. I'm digging the production so far.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

sportsgenius86 posted:

I maintain that they should have everyone at one camp and that One World just had a really lovely cast that ruined that concept.

I agree,minus the separation of gender, which was useless.
The extra dynamics that come from living with the other tribe but not having a direct vote for that group are great. There's an added dimension of strategy for the early game where opposing members can try manipulating the other tribe before TC.
Just keep Colby away from everyone.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

Zesty posted:

The later the swap, the more dependent people get on their original tribe's identity and that just leads to pagonging.

Yeah. When people stick to their original tribes for the whole game it's boring. Like people that refuse to make friends beyond their first semester freshman year group

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Have Jeff run color commentary for himself.

"Jeff really struggling out there!"

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

AdmiralViscen posted:

He believed his target had an idol and watched him put it on before the vote.

That has to be one of the dumbest misplays I've ever seen.

I love that Chris saw that around Dom's neck and said, "it's the shell" matter-of-factly as if "duh, guys, don't you remember the shell from that old season?"

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

Please be a joke
Please be a joke

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

The Bloop posted:

Her having to tug it back out twice almost made me turn away.

I was so impressed the way she jammed that log into her throat,pulled it back out again, jammed it back in, pulled it out, ripped it in half and downed the halves. She didn't even gag once. It makes me wonder what her time in the military taught her

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Sea Bass picked only men and left four women on the beach alone. Setting up for a good old gender alliance

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

The Bloop posted:

That was a bold move.

Took one for the team making those other three pretty happy with him, getting a guaranteed advantage, and maybe Kellyn is more pissed at SeaBass for picking him than him for taking it?

Oh no poor kellyn doesn't get to hang out with her potato brother for a day

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

IcePhoenix posted:

Laurel is not on board with this at all.

Laurel is never on board with anything

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
There's no way Wendell is not playing his idol tonight. Donny blew the top off that blindside

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Both Sebastian and Jenna from S36 have a shared Instagram account together (tarzanandjen). There's speculation that they're kind of silent in the show editing because they've had a joint account since before the season started airing.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

Zesty posted:

:siren: I don't care about spoiling usual pregame stuff, but this story may contain information showing two players who became close during their time on Season 37. So read at your own risk. Spoiler tag your discussion of it.

'Survivor' Contestants Violate NDA, $5 Million Fine on the Line

Johnny Fairplay weighs in.

I agree with Fairplay that their prize money should be withheld. I also don't think they should be allowed to return ever and should be blacklisted from any future CBS show.
They signed an NDA and they broke the NDA. those aren't people that you want with your network

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
I didn't really perceive Wendell's reaction as a lash out. He gained sympathy from Laurel, anyway, and I think that will save him tonight

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Also tonight's episode is additional proof that the castaways like Laurel and perceive her as a fierce competitor. She must not translate to the screen as well as she does in person

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
The reason why the US version steered away from pure social survival is because it's well-recognized after 36 seasons that being well-liked or being a strong social player puts a target on your back post-merge. Without idols and advantages added to the game dynamic, the bridge trolls would systematically take out the likable players until there's an all-goat FTC.
The way to manage this is to cast less goats, but there will always be some sort of social hierarchy regardless of how socially competent a cast is as a whole.
Australia would probably be at that point too, if they had 30+ seasons under their belt

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

Lone Goat posted:

Yeah exactly. The game got solved in season one so they need to have some twists and random aspects to make the show watchable.

Ah yes that's what I tune to watch, some goofball hitting a coconut with a blunt machete and not chopping their toes off.

People who just want to watch people slowly dying in the jungle should just watch Survivorman or Bear Grylls or some nonsense.

Yeah. The way to hack open a coconut or spear a fish is never going to change. People's reaction to be able to obtain food in the wilderness will also never change. Oh, cool. Someone caught three fish in one day. Hungry people eat the fish. They say it's better than the rice they had been eating just plain previously.

I'm more interested in the impacts of hunger. Hunger and lack of sleep make people lash out, act irrational or paranoid. They become weaker at challenges. Some are more resilient while others blow up their own game or melt down and quit. The unpredictability in that regard is what keeps the drama fueled and entertaining

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Y'all negative nancys in here

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Sebastian's a big boy!! Yesss

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Calling it now: Wendell is gonna gun for Dom with Sea Bass and Ang

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
I love that Angela's idea of a big move is helping the top guys stay on top

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
I love Dom and Wendell's equality in this game. I also love Dom as a person who decides that he wants the best player to win for sure. Either Wendell or himself

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
That was a huge letdown ...

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Laurel did actually play an amazing defensive game for that threesome to get to FTC. She latched on to those two and overthrew all attempts to boot them out

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
What's with the jury hating Wendell? Holy poo poo I feel so bad for him

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Laurel gets to blow up someone's game one last time!

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
What a roller coaster of a last five minutes omg

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Chris' pink blazer should be cast into the fire

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Jeff Probst sucks Kevin Hart's dirk

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Is anyone feeling the S37 cast at all...?

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Sea Bass was drunk during FTC, which may explain a few things

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
I'm looking back at some pre-seaaon stuff that I never read for S36, and Chris' impression of Wendell cracks me up.

But what do the other castaways think about him? Over the course of our interviews out on Fiji, the Ghost Island castmembers were presented with pictures of their competitors, and asked to establish their preseason thoughts. With that said, here's what they think about Wendell.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

Propaganda Machine posted:

Holy poo poo, that's super racist. gently caress that guy.

Not really surprising coming from a hitlerjugend poster child, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
I hated Joe but surprisingly found him endearing by the end of his run. He's not attractive, he's kind of sleazy, and his body language is more exaggerated/threatening than his tribemates, but he's interesting. It's like when you listen to a lovely pop song repeatedly until it's physical torture but then suddenly you're really into it. Is that what Stockholm syndrome is like?

• Locked thread