Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

lol you could feasibly keep on doing that crisis path, fighting off your previous old empire, forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

HelloSailorSign posted:

lol you could feasibly keep on doing that crisis path, fighting off your previous old empire, forever

until only your last empire remains in the ruins of a broken galaxy.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Soylent Pudding posted:

I really want to combine that with rogue servitors and take the entire galactic population to nirvana.

I still want to know where pops on ships is going to happen so we can have GSVs

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

AtomikKrab posted:

until only your last empire remains in the ruins of a broken galaxy.

There's a few sci fi stories like this. Isn't that implied in the end of the book 2001 A Space Odyssey? And Transformers: Last Bot Standing.

I'm also reminded of a mix of the Astronomicon and a weaponised Deep Thought, lol.

You could already have multiple empires as Crisis Aspirants, right? Now we can see different galactic apocalypses duking it out.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 19, 2024

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You could already have multiple empires as Crisis Aspirants, right? Now we can see different galactic apocalypses duking it out.

The AI will never take the perk if there is more than 1 already, so best case you'll get two AIs and then yourself.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's a few sci fi stories like this. Isn't that implied in the end of the book 2001 A Space Odyssey? And Transformers: Last Bot Standing.

I'm also reminded of a mix of the Astronomicon and a weaponised Deep Thought, lol.

"We made too many pockets universes and now the parent universe is going to suffer a total existence failure" is the penultimate state of relatively current media property the three body problem

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Splicer posted:

"We made too many pockets universes and now the parent universe is going to suffer a total existence failure" is the penultimate state of relatively current media property the three body problem

Thank you for the spoiler -- I was wondering what that show was about, and that's the best explanation I've seen. :tipshat:

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

What would be the thematic, "roleplay" difference between an empire that was fanatic spiritualist, regular authoritarian, and an empire that was regular spiritualist, fanatic authoritarian?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

two fish posted:

What would be the thematic, "roleplay" difference between an empire that was fanatic spiritualist, regular authoritarian, and an empire that was regular spiritualist, fanatic authoritarian?

Fanatic Spiritualists would be controlling the populace because it says so in the space bible, while Fanatic Authoritarians would be writing the space bible as a method to control the populace.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

two fish posted:

One is the church, one is the US?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

IIRC, Spiritualist ethics implicitly affects how much of your government is intertwined with religion, vs separation of church and state and all that. Not to mention as Fanatic Spiritualist you can still have an oligarchy rather than being restricted to dictatorial or imperial like Fanatic Authoritarian. Thinking like, the Anglican church as one example of a state religion, vs Imperial Rome where the Emperor is also among many other things considered the chief priest, but religion's clearly a tool of statecraft, and then Egyptian Pharaohs who are proclaimed as explicitly divine. (Imperial Cult and all, though you can have that with any combination of Authoritarian and Spiritualist)

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Unsurprisingly, all the new art looks amazing. Really love these vaguely-Egyptian themed avian robbits.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/stellaris-dev-diary-342-the-art-of-the-machine-age-part-i.1666149/

This expansion seems huge.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Both of those new ship sets absolutely slaps, I loving love them

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

What is the point of Harm Relations, and how would that even look in real life?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

two fish posted:

Your posts suck and your penis is small.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Maybe you want to bully a neighbor, but naturally aligning ethics are building trust. Harm relations will reverse that so that you can declare a rivalry. Or sometimes it can bait them into a war on your terms.

As for the flavor, I assume it's public denouncements or trade embargos.

I don't know if Harm Relations actually adds anything to the game though, beyond it being an extra step in diplomacy. It's always been a quick means to an end, rather than part of a long term strategy.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Jack Trades posted:

Your posts suck and your penis is small.

I said Harm Relations, not Make Claims.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

two fish posted:

insulting/bullying someone until they hit back, then claim you're the victim in space UN

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

insulting/bullying someone until they hit back, then claim you're the victim in space UN

Basically, "Harm Relations" is what Russia is doing

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

two fish posted:

It looks like nothing. The main reason it exists is because game mechanics require you to have low relations for certain diplomacy system interactions, it's an entirely artificial concession to that which has no commonplace parallel in actual diplomacy. In actual diplomacy, you might intentionally do things that make another party dislike you, but that is almost never the intended primary effect, rather more of a side-effect of something else you're trying to do. That's because actual diplomatic actions you might want to take don't really depend on (i.e., are not possible without) the other party disliking you.

I don't super care about this because it doesn't really have to be a simulation of things that happen in normal, real diplomacy, and I am sure an IR or diplomatic history buff could find an example of diplomats deliberately making the nation they're assigned to dislike their own for that specific purpose, but it is kind of annoying that you could do the same thing (i.e., harming relations) as a byproduct of more typical stuff, like: denouncing a nation to impress your own people or political class or other nations that also dislike the target (the goal is improving your standing with one group at the expense of your standing with another), or meddling in another nation's internal politics (the goal is to foster discontent in the other nation and that just so happens to make them dislike you), or issuing some insult, provocation, or trick to goad them into attacking when you want to fight but don't want to look like the aggressor (the goal is to make the other party do something, pissing them off is just a means to that end). This last one is the closest to what "Harm Relations" looks like in the game, but making them attack you isn't necessarily an outcome of doing that. Notable here is that some of the requirements of the "Insult" and "Declare Rival" diplomatic actions are either bad relations to begin with (which "Harm Relations" can cause), or that an envoy is currently assigned to "Harm Relations."

Edit:

Jack Trades posted:

If you tank your relationship with X then you'll gain relationship with everyone who hates X as well, afaik.

If this is true, then just ignore all the dumb poo poo I said! :v:

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 25, 2024

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

For harm relations just look to the coordinated media campaign about how the Chinese Communist Party is using Tik Toks to turn our kids into woke transgender Palestinians.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Soylent Pudding posted:

For harm relations just look to the coordinated media campaign about how the Chinese Communist Party is using Tik Toks to turn our kids into woke transgender Palestinians.

Right, so for example: here the goal is not actually "Make China dislike us," it's about internal political grandstanding and/or business deals and/or national security/propaganda concerns at the expense of relations with China.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

If you tank your relationship with X then you'll gain relationship with everyone who hates X as well, afaik.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Libluini posted:

Basically, "Harm Relations" is what Russia is doing

lmfao

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

So it's like sending over a Karen ambassador?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
you send a guy over to the embassy and he just sleeps on the couch and eats everything in the office fridge. he won't leave unless they declare war.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Libluini posted:

Basically, "Harm Relations" is what America is doing

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

GunnerJ posted:

Right, so for example: here the goal is not actually "Make China dislike us," it's about internal political grandstanding and/or business deals and/or national security/propaganda concerns at the expense of relations with China.

Is this an example of "harm relations" or just making somebody officially a rival? (It's all so complicated. :sigh:)

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Harm relations is when Joe Biden says people from PNG ate his uncle.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GunnerJ posted:

prefect posted:

Is this an example of "harm relations" or just making somebody officially a rival? (It's all so complicated. :sigh:)
Yeah, GunnerJ's example would be a Rivalry. Harm Relations also makes the initiating empire hate the target empire more but how much a PC empire hates another empire has no mechanical impact to my knowledge. e: well if you hate them they can't send you an infinity of treaty requests so there's that I suppose.

You know, it'd make a lot of sense to merge Harm Relations and Rivalry and/or scale the benefits of Rivalries based on how much you hate each other.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 27, 2024

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
the funniest poo poo is always when enemy empires send me, the player, an insult

I'm like, thanks for trying, but until you find a way to change the game's programming, my hands are still at the override button

no war for you, lol

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Libluini posted:

the funniest poo poo is always when enemy empires send me, the player, an insult

I'm like, thanks for trying, but until you find a way to change the game's programming, my hands are still at the override button

no war for you, lol

I mostly get this during a war that I am very clearly winning.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
My current Borg game I have 3 maxed out relic worlds and 3 maxed out ring worlds along with a bunch of unemployed pops. I now regret doing the machine tall/defensive civic, as I could really used jobs for these pops.

Mid 2300s, the exterminators were 900 days from being voted the crisis when they hit crisis level 5 and pulled the whole galaxy against them. They could do a decent job against the rest of the galaxy, but their fleets are 60-80k and mine are 160-250k each, and I've got nearly a dozen. Fleet isn't maxed out and I can probably support another 6-9 fleets without too much trouble. My territory is all super spread out so defending is gonna be a pain.

The rift action which lets you insta jump to anywhere in your territory, plus having jump drives, is gonna be a godsend to getting anywhere on the map very rapidly.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Libluini posted:

no war for you, lol

Might be interesting if receiving an insult created a Militarist faction demand to declare war on whoever sent it, ideally one that has little or no downside for ignoring but an upside to fulfilling.